Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Nuebot posted:

Does he? I'm pretty sure I remember shooting Guts Man until he exploded then absorbing his essence and learning how to throw bricks at Elec Man. I think Mega Man might just be a robot ghoul that eats other robots for their vitality and power. Dr. Light is some kind of hosed up enabler who stores their corpses in a museum, as you see in like. Mega Man 7? I think there's a museum full of Guts Men.

If you want to get really technical, or deep into Mega Man lore, comics and some other media have shown that the Robot Masters in Mega Man 1 are still around, and are allied with Mega Man and Doctor Light. All the other robots since then (save for maybe Mega Man 4) are built by Wily for destroying Mega Man.

The X series was based around how Mega Man X was built to be capable of independent thought, and how Reploids started rebelling against humans.However, the classic Mega Man series made it seem like robots were capable of independent thought as well. Mega Man 9's plot was based around the Robot Masters rebelling because of some plot point about robots being scrapped.

I think it can all be chalked up as, 'they didn't put a lot of thought into the story.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He can go gently caress himself into another panic attack.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly with a lot of these internet personalities you'd think that their line of business would teach them when it's best to shut the gently caress up but no one ever learns this important skill

boogie loving sucks

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Max Wilco posted:

"Kill 30 Nazis to proceed to the next floor."

I don't think it's just games that have violence. If you want to go to the literal extreme, you could argue that a game and it's mechanics are open to political scrutiny or something. You could say that SimCity's requirements for a proper city are skewed towards a certain political alignment, or... I dunno, something like Factorio is pro-automization or something.

Totally. Any game that the player interacts with for some sort of reward will in some way be problematic. Even indie VNs about gay teens with feels trades on the novelty of stories about marginal groups but only in the most superficial ways to not be challenging because who wants to pay money to be challenged.

I do think games are a space where people can explore unique ideas and tell interesting stories, it's just that people don't care about that more than if the game is fun or not.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

He can go gently caress himself into another panic attack.

Yeah like, I had some sympathy for him after being divorced. But now all I can think of is "I can see why"

Like mother fucker. Do you seriously think "oh they just need time" to accept something? Hey someone with a twitter account cause I don't do social media, @him something like "So what you're saying is gamers just need time to acclimate to microtransactions". I'm sure that'll set him off

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 25, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

who wants to pay money to be challenged.

People who buy Ghosts n Goblins. :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Max Wilco posted:

If you want to get really technical, or deep into Mega Man lore, comics and some other media have shown that the Robot Masters in Mega Man 1 are still around, and are allied with Mega Man and Doctor Light. All the other robots since then (save for maybe Mega Man 4) are built by Wily for destroying Mega Man.

The X series was based around how Mega Man X was built to be capable of independent thought, and how Reploids started rebelling against humans.However, the classic Mega Man series made it seem like robots were capable of independent thought as well. Mega Man 9's plot was based around the Robot Masters rebelling because of some plot point about robots being scrapped.

I think it can all be chalked up as, 'they didn't put a lot of thought into the story.'

Mostly, yes. I don't think they really thought it out too well. You have entire characters just vanishing without a thought in the X series. I did like how they started touching on the nature of going maverick in the later titles though, and then introduced the post-sigma reploids who could "go maverick" of their own free will. But then the series just died so we'll never know if that mattered at all.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Max Wilco posted:

People who buy Ghosts n Goblins. :v:

Having spent far too much on a complete in box copy of Ghouls n Ghosts for the Genesis, let me be the first to say "dang, you got us".

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"Heh, I'm gonna go use my """privilege""" now that I totally have amirite, to go "recover" from this" - He said without a single loving lick of self-awareness

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1010971692061999104

God

loving

DAMMIT

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

"Heh, I'm gonna go use my """privilege""" now that I totally have amirite, to go "recover" from this" - He said without a single loving lick of self-awareness

God

loving

DAMMIT

Feckless. Spherical. Piece. Of. poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

God

loving

DAMMIT

i miss my dog now. also gently caress him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yardbomb posted:

God

loving

DAMMIT

I give him two days, if even that, before he's back to fighting on twitter.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

so like

what does boogie actually do? does he talk about games?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

so like

Yes, he talks about games. At least recently, I never watched him before. He'll discuss his opinions on youtube and gaming culture. Also he'll stop every video in the middle to do a plug, I wasn't joking when I did that audible thing yesterday.

E: Which made me raise my eyebrow when he did a video about the microtransactions in Battlefront 2 and went "before I go let me talk about this vpn service here is my code"

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 25, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leal posted:

Yes, he talks about games. At least recently, I never watched him before. He'll discuss his opinions on youtube and gaming culture. Also he'll stop every video in the middle to do a plug, I wasn't joking when I did that audible thing yesterday.

most of those types do that now though. like all the podcasts i listen to plug the hell out of blue apron or audible.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

FreezingInferno posted:

Having spent far too much on a complete in box copy of Ghouls n Ghosts for the Genesis, let me be the first to say "dang, you got us".

How much did you spend for it?

Also, are you same Freezing Inferno as this Freezing Inferno?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nuebot posted:

Mario is actually a capitalist stealing all of the limited resources, POWER stars, from the native turtle populace. He uses them not to provide free energy and a comfortable way of life even for his own people, but to open doors within the vast and expansive castle manor grounds of the local royals. Quite literally crushing the locals under his booted feet in exchange for an easier passage through to the inner rooms of the palace.

From the PYF Comic thread:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

most of those types do that now though. like all the podcasts i listen to plug the hell out of blue apron or audible.

Eh.. Like sure, throw something in the description, maybe a quick mention. But when your video is about how game companies want more money, then you take a minute and a half break from the video to do a sales pitch.. Just makes me roll my eyes as I skip past it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

If you want to go to the literal extreme, you could argue that a game and it's mechanics are open to political scrutiny or something. You could say that SimCity's requirements for a proper city are skewed towards a certain political alignment, or... I dunno, something like Factorio is pro-automization or something.

Uh, that's...not extreme at all? That's actually some pretty basic poo poo. Of course you can put games and their mechanics under scrutiny. See also: Questioning Civilization's tradition of an ambiguous, always-malevolent faction of "barbarians" that solely exist to hassle your poor put-upon civilization. Also all of the Civ games that totally just have slavery in 'em.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Errant Signal / Campster as a couple of good videos about the political assumptions behind Sim City and Civ.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You all hated Lamps, but through this they've contributed to this thread's best post in pages.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I Before E posted:

You all hated Lamps, but through this they've contributed to this thread's best post in pages.

Lamps didn't make the comic

If he wants to go around posting other people's work and never offer his own thoughts again, he'd be a much better poster

That is a fantastic comic

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
No one cares about BravestoftheLumps. Talk about something else. Like Star Wars. Who here loves Star Wars?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I love star wars

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

nine-gear crow posted:

No one cares about BravestoftheLumps. Talk about something else. Like Star Wars. Who here loves Star Wars?

don't do this to me

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

My favorite star wars character is Spock. I like the part where he asks scottie to bean him up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

ehhh s'okay I guess

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Porgs are pretty cute.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This may be off-topic and if so please just ignore, but I’m currently reading Ender’s Game to prepare for a discussion of Ernest Cline, and god drat there are a lot of naked children and a lot of attention given to asses in there. Like a weird, weird amount. The almost total lack of curse words weirds me out too, given the stark brutality of the narrative. It’s unwholesome in a Ned Flanders way.

I bought a used copy in light of the horrible things he’s said and kind of wonder if he hates gay people so much because he imagines a universal experience of maturation where sexual curiosity and desire only exist within a specific sequence of heterosexual courtship and children are total neuters prior to their first BYU ice cream social.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

don't do this to me

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

nine-gear crow posted:

And thus the serpent begins to devour its tail once more

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just wanted to mention how problematically eurocentric the comparisons of Pokémon to dog-fighting are.

It's based on bug-fighting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

business hammocks posted:

This may be off-topic and if so please just ignore, but I’m currently reading Ender’s Game to prepare for a discussion of Ernest Cline, and god drat there are a lot of naked children and a lot of attention given to asses in there. Like a weird, weird amount. The almost total lack of curse words weirds me out too, given the stark brutality of the narrative. It’s unwholesome in a Ned Flanders way.

I bought a used copy in light of the horrible things he’s said and kind of wonder if he hates gay people so much because he imagines a universal experience of maturation where sexual curiosity and desire only exist within a specific sequence of heterosexual courtship and children are total neuters prior to their first BYU ice cream social.

Orson is weird religious fundie(i think mormon). it rewrote hamlet to make it against gays or something. Game of thrones made fun of him a bunch times because he made some outcry about the sex/violence.

Ghostlight posted:

I just wanted to mention how problematically eurocentric the comparisons of Pokémon to dog-fighting are.

It's based on bug-fighting.

yeah, i read that somewhere too. stag beetle fights are kinda cool to watch.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I remember when my dog evolved into a fighting/fire type

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I remember when my dog evolved into a fighting/fire type

Please don't light your dogs on fire. It doesn't make them statistically better fighters.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

McIntosh is just the cutest little utter berk. I'm not convinced that he isn't actually a bot designed for nothing but pumping out puritanical hot takes.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most of it is great, but it has an odd undertone of Stephanie McMillan-esque "Willingly fall back to the stone age" crazy that the author seems to be skirting hard and unnerves me.

Maybe it's just me though.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This is supposed to make fun of leftist viewpoints, right? Because it oversimplifies things to the point that they are so inaccurate that the comics basically has no message at all. Except maybe that Hippies are thrash, which is a good message.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It's a weird sort of anarcho-buddhism, closer to really early Mutual Aid/Conquest Of Bread anarchism than anything more modern, that works more as a rebuttal to the fantasy monarchism of Mario than a real political framework.

Also they're turtles, so holding them to the standards of human political economy is a bit rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

so like

He's a fat mooching gently caress who wouldn't stop being a man child, even if it cost him his wife and thinks social progress should slow down because it's going too fast and that makes bigots ~uncomfortable~

I'm glad his partner left him and I hope his life continues to suck