Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
God drat I am really digging this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
yeah thats pretty solid through and through

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
album leaked like three days ago btw yall

it's very very good

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm still trying to keep my ears as virginal as possible before the album comes out on Friday. It's gonna be a treat to wake up early Friday morning and do the first listen on some streaming app or another, then grab the cd that afternoon.

To date I've only heard the studio versions of Humility, Hollywood and Lake Zurich, and a very early live version of Idaho and a snippet of Tranz live.

Reddit is hyping up Souk Eye as one of the best Gorillaz songs ever so I'm looking forward to that.

Can anyone confirm if there's a new song as good as my personal top 5: El Mañana, Every Planet We Reach Is Dead, Empire Ants, Andromeda and Hong Kong?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I'm looking forward to listening to the new album on the bike ride to work Friday morning. I'm digging everything I hearing so far, so I think the full length is going to be one of my top albums of the summer

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

I'm still trying to keep my ears as virginal as possible before the album comes out on Friday. It's gonna be a treat to wake up early Friday morning and do the first listen on some streaming app or another, then grab the cd that afternoon.

To date I've only heard the studio versions of Humility, Hollywood and Lake Zurich, and a very early live version of Idaho and a snippet of Tranz live.

Reddit is hyping up Souk Eye as one of the best Gorillaz songs ever so I'm looking forward to that.

Can anyone confirm if there's a new song as good as my personal top 5: El Mañana, Every Planet We Reach Is Dead, Empire Ants, Andromeda and Hong Kong?
my top 5 is DoYaThing, Halfway To The Halfway House, Faust, Submission, and Man Research.

I absolutely think Souk Eye can take that #1 spot. It's that good. Idaho is no slouch either, a massive improvement on the live version they played during the Humanz tour. I think those two (and possibly Fire Flies and One Percent) could enter that list for you.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was convinced "souk eye" was a typo considering the K is right next to L on a keyboard but I guess not? what is a "souk?"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

based on your personal top 5, Fireflies might topple something

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DLC Inc posted:

I was convinced "souk eye" was a typo considering the K is right next to L on a keyboard but I guess not? what is a "souk?"

souk
suːk/Submit
noun
an Arab market or marketplace; a bazaar.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
really liked this. could use another couple tracks, but I'm guessing the runtime will be doubled by the time the Super Deluxe Special Edition or whatever comes out :v:

got a little more burned out on the singles than I would have liked but that's my fault for being lazy and sticking to the same playlists over and over

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The thread title really needs updating

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

the live version of Tranz makes the album version feel rather lacking. :(

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

AAB posted:

yeah, no fuckin kidding. gonna have to cut that one out of the boiler room performance i guess

gotta say though, as much as I had sort of been hoping for this album to be fulla bangers at one point, this wound up being a very relaxing and easy listen, with a few songs that I think will sound great live and help bolster their festival setlists, so can't say this was anything other than a success. my hope is that we get some good quality soundboard recordings from their upcoming shows (some of those festivals gotta be streaming), and, ideally, another proper live album, since they now really do have quite a few songs that sound great live

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 29, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Initial impressions: Magic City's the best of the non-preview tracks, Fire Flies is best overall.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

AAB posted:

Yeah, this seems to be a common sentiment and little wonder. I sort of got a heads up about it, since the album leaked and I read that Tranz in studio is way different than Tranz live, and so I didn't end up being too disappointed. I actually think both the live and studio versions are great in their own ways. What we have on the album, the high pitched and yet quiet singing, maybe even fits a bit better overall with the sinister and creepy tone the song has going on. I got used to it quickly. The live versions are there if you want to listen to a banger version of the track.

The album is great overall, very solid throughout. It could have used a few more tracks but does not feel too short as it is. Many of the singles ended up being some of my least favorite tracks on the record (still great though), as Kansas, Idaho, Tranz and Magic City probably are the standout tracks for me. I probably don't have many agreeing with my opinion that Hollywood is the best single aside from Jamie's talk-singing, I don't really hate it, just not my thing. There really isn't a single song I feel like skipping on here and that is more than I can say for Humanz (which I still think is fine a year later) and even Plastic Beach. If Gorillaz is to perhaps go into hibernation for a while again, this is a great way to go out.

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 29, 2018

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I wish the album sounded more like Humility overall. It’s chill to a fault. My favorite Gorillaz song is Empire Ants, so I don’t mind chill, but it seemed like too much of a good thing. None of the songs are bad, but the album as a whole feels samey theoughout.

Magic City, Souk Eye, Fire Flies, and Humility are all A+, though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

On reflection, if you told me this was a follow up to Everyday Robots I'd 100% believe you.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

probably is the first album since Like Clockwork I've loved from start to finish. Funky and groovy in the beginning and then ends on a beautiful note with the final songs. Short but sweet album, really loved Tranz/Idaho/Souk Eye/Zurich Lake.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat Souk Eye OWNS

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

On reflection, if you told me this was a follow up to Everyday Robots I'd 100% believe you.
I don't agree with this for most of the album but One Percent absolutely sounds like a better produced version of something that could have been on ER.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

pitchfork had a somewhat similar take, basically calling it everyday robots but with a glimmer of gorillaz-ness that keeps it from falling into the same pit of drollness, which i more or less agree with

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Album is extremely good for a nice melancholy summer soundscape. I am the guy tho who's out here yelling the chorus to Idaho

also Tranz is still the best track on the album don't @ me

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

AAB posted:

also Tranz is still the best track on the album don't @ me

Came here to gush about this.

Tranz is like the exact definition of my jam I think.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This album is loving nice. Souk Eye is my favorite right now but every track is so chill

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really like this album but I just can't get into Magic City. The song hasn't clicked for me yet. Everything else is great though, although One Percent really could have used the extra verse and piano outro from the live version.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lake zurich is a huge waste of time, glitter freeze 2.0

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

scary ghost dog posted:

lake zurich is a huge waste of time, glitter freeze 2.0

You take that back. I happen to love Lake Zurich, but then again I am a sucker for instrumentals. I just got the vinyl delivered the other day and listened to it this morning and the sound quality is really really good. It is super loud with great balance and is one of the better pressings I have heard lately. I just got the standard version because I couldn't justify paying nearly $100 for the deluxe , especially when this is only a single LP and not a double like all of their other albums.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
really digging the sound quality of the vinyl pressing of this song thats just a somewhat generic synth soundscape for three minutes -the music genius

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
you can really hear the synth, and the synth drums, in full fidelity. you could probably hear the vocals, guitar, chorus, tambourines, etc really well, if there were any, but its just a few layers of the same korg so thats all you get to hear in perfect balance

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this casio demo track is so perfectly loud when pressed into vinyl and played through my $6000 sound system

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress off it's good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress off it's good.

it sounds like it was produced from concept to execution in an afternoon, and it probably was. at least glitter freeze had a feature

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Lol, you just triple posted in response to me liking a song on the album we are discussing and thinking the vinyl pressing has good sound quality. Maybe sit the next couple plays out, you seem pretty upset for absolutely zero reason.

I wasn't even specifically talking about Lake Zurich when I mentioned the sound quality and balance, I was talking about the album as a whole. It's like you just wanted to be realmad at someone for liking a song you don't care for.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 5, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Now Now just isn’t very good in general. It’s an obvious attempt at placating the fanbase after they threw their own poo poo at the wall over Humanz, as if Gorillaz fans weren’t the worst possible people you could take musical advice from. It’s not completely unlistenable like The Fall but it’s easily the second worst behind it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

The Now Now just isn’t very good in general. It’s an obvious attempt at placating the fanbase after they threw their own poo poo at the wall over Humanz, as if Gorillaz fans weren’t the worst possible people you could take musical advice from. It’s not completely unlistenable like The Fall but it’s easily the second worst behind it.

ya this is pretty mich it. im mad at the retard fans who didnt like humanz because albarn didnt have enough vocals on it but think this album is perfect

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

scary ghost dog posted:

ya this is pretty mich it. im mad at the retard fans who didnt like humanz because albarn didnt have enough vocals on it but think this album is perfect

Can I think both albums are bad? They're both bad. Humanz is slightly less bad.

I don't like to be negative, either. I'm usually pretty easy to please, but both albums did very little for me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They're both pretty good but if you cut them each in half and merged them it'd be one loving good album.

On another note this is the first Gorillaz/Blur/Albarn album in ages that I haven't seen advertised on my commute. Including the loving Fall.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Can I think both albums are bad? They're both bad. Humanz is slightly less bad.

I don't like to be negative, either. I'm usually pretty easy to please, but both albums did very little for me.

neither of them are actually bad so if u think they both are you should avoid ever talking about music to anyone

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It's fine. Everyone I work with is an infant compared to me and flails their arms in anger when I tell them I don't know who Cardi B. is, so I've decided to stop talking about music with them anyway.

Can I still talk to YOU about it, Scary Dog? Please? :bigtran:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nanigans posted:

It's fine. Everyone I work with is an infant compared to me and flails their arms in anger when I tell them I don't know who Cardi B. is, so I've decided to stop talking about music with them anyway.

Can I still talk to YOU about it, Scary Dog? Please? :bigtran:

why are you even in this thread