Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

It's time to rewatch AbFab for the umpteenth time and it never stops being so perfect.

Jennifer Saunders is so young and thin lmfao

Julia Sawalha, hot drat. She's 49 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/HypraSeaPea/status/1010391822110056448

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

-Blackadder- posted:

I wonder if super old people who just watch tv all day go back and watch all old good television from their era.

My grandfather is 88, and he loves stuff like Longmire and Justified, but the last time he was up here we had a twilight zone marathon.

(That show holds up very well, btw)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So DBZ Kai finally ended and something I found really weird about it was that they kept the epilogue, even though it doesn't really make sense seeing as Super is a thing. For those who don't know/remember the epilogue was a little extra couple of episodes which skips ahead 10 years and has Goku and co doing another world's martial arts tournament where Goku fights Uub, the reincarnation of Kid Buu.

It just seems like a weird thing to keep because Super starts further back so some of the events of the epilogue hadn't happened yet (like Pan being born.) Also Kai wasn't afraid to just straight up cut episodes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maxwell Lord posted:

Press Gang !

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

muscles like this! posted:

So DBZ Kai finally ended and something I found really weird about it was that they kept the epilogue, even though it doesn't really make sense seeing as Super is a thing. For those who don't know/remember the epilogue was a little extra couple of episodes which skips ahead 10 years and has Goku and co doing another world's martial arts tournament where Goku fights Uub, the reincarnation of Kid Buu.

It just seems like a weird thing to keep because Super starts further back so some of the events of the epilogue hadn't happened yet (like Pan being born.) Also Kai wasn't afraid to just straight up cut episodes.

The stuff in the epilogue still happens, iirc. The flash forward at the end of DBZ happens like five or so years after when DB Super takes place since Toriyama said that's still completely in canon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

-Blackadder- posted:

I wonder if super old people who just watch tv all day go back and watch all old good television from their era.

My grandma watches Brooklyn 99, along with Dr. Phil and reruns of unwatchable British comedy from the 60s.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Nice, thanks all!!! I was definitely hoping for more of a comedy with it being a Jesse Armstrong show. Also I love Kieran Culkin.

Hopefully it'll settle more into a comedy later. It's still trying to figure itself out I think.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Super goes out of its way to keep continuity with the epilogue, aside from introducing new stuff the epilogue didn't mention.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also Kai ended in 2015 (right before Super started actually). It just took them forever to dub the second set.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Super goes out of its way to keep continuity with the epilogue, aside from introducing new stuff the epilogue didn't mention.

I think what he's getting at is that Super absolutely fucks the powerscale in a way that the epilogue is fundamentally incapable of acknowledging.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kai ended before Super was intended to even last as long as it had, iirc. I don't know if it was planned to go much beyond remaking the movies at the time.

But yah the power levels are hosed lol. Tho the epilogue ends in a situation/tourney everyone would be holding back in anyway so nbd

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh hey I just saw this. I always forget how much work they had to do to frump Sawalha up, especially in the in the first set of series. She was such a hottie.

AbFab remains the best, as it is every time I rewatch it. I think I may have to just start it over again when I'm done tbqh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whenever Julia Sawalha comes up, I can’t help but think of this sketch from Fist of Fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHOUnsYSaLA

Mainly due to the fact that Richard Herring did actually go on to date her years later, and then deal with the awkwardness of having written a sketch about creeping over her.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

EL BROMANCE posted:

Whenever Julia Sawalha comes up, I can’t help but think of this sketch from Fist of Fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHOUnsYSaLA

Mainly due to the fact that Richard Herring did actually go on to date her years later, and then deal with the awkwardness of having written a sketch about creeping over her.

lmao this is excellent

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
man i remember when A&E showed nothing but Northern Exposure, AbFab, and OG Law & Order. man that was a good programming schedule to wake and bake to lmao

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

man i remember when A&E showed nothing but Northern Exposure, AbFab, and OG Law & Order. man that was a good programming schedule to wake and bake to lmao

I like that Maury Chaykin quote about A&E:

quote:

"I'm a bit jaded and cynical about which shows succeed on television. I worked on a fantastic show once called Nero Wolfe, but at the time A&E was transforming from the premier intellectual cable network in America to one that airs Dog the Bounty Hunter on repeat, so it was never promoted and eventually went off the air."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

I think what he's getting at is that Super absolutely fucks the powerscale in a way that the epilogue is fundamentally incapable of acknowledging.

You also have the characters in completely different places, like the epilogue has everyone not seeing each other for 5 years instead of constantly meeting up.

Although I think my main problem with the epilogue in general is the basic idea of giving Kid Buu a redemptive story when really Kid Buu wasn't even a character. Like the other versions of Buu were characters but Kid Buu had absolutely no personality.

Also it just kind of highlighted the problem DBZ has as a whole where characters don't age until they do, all at once. So you have Goten and Trunks as teenagers but at the end of the Goku Black story arc (which is less than 4 years previous) they're still looking and acting like they did at the end of regular DBZ.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

You fuckers made me curious and it's on netflix. It was a hate watch after the opening scene. God that was terrible.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Croatoan posted:

You fuckers made me curious and it's on netflix. It was a hate watch after the opening scene. God that was terrible.

Yeah it's bad but it makes me laugh every time.

For the longest time this movie made me think Charlize Theron should stick to dramas. Oh how wrong I was.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

precision posted:

"I remember when Bravo used to show operas," Jack Donaghy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is A Haunting streaming anywhere or do I need to resort to other methods to watch it?

It's so corny but I love it so goddamn much.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You also have the characters in completely different places, like the epilogue has everyone not seeing each other for 5 years instead of constantly meeting up.

Although I think my main problem with the epilogue in general is the basic idea of giving Kid Buu a redemptive story when really Kid Buu wasn't even a character. Like the other versions of Buu were characters but Kid Buu had absolutely no personality.

Also it just kind of highlighted the problem DBZ has as a whole where characters don't age until they do, all at once. So you have Goten and Trunks as teenagers but at the end of the Goku Black story arc (which is less than 4 years previous) they're still looking and acting like they did at the end of regular DBZ.

Y'all should watch a 50 year old man play Dragonball Legends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQLYfrLknK4

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is there a thread for Babylon Berlin and is the show still streaming on Netflix?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think there was ever a thread, it was just talked about in the streaming thread, and I think it's on Netflix permanently.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I haven't seen a thread for Succession, but I like it so far. Kieran Culkin's character is such a hilarious rear end in a top hat, and Brian Cox is always great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

-Blackadder- posted:

Dunno if I'm the only one who had parents like this but my mom always asked me why I don't just wait to watch all the good tv shows when I'm super old and have nothing to do all day but chill in the retirement home or whatever, then I can marathon 50 years worth of Sopranos and Game of Thrones level television back-to-back without ever having to wait for a new episode or season.

I think she was trying to get me to go outside and play.

MeTV is good for that stuff, the local channel even has a bumper exalting that it's where the good clean shows are! I honestly don't have any complaints about the channel either, they recently added an hour of The Jeffersons in place of one hour of the Love Boat, and now there's an hour of The Odd Couple so I no longer have to sit through an hour of Touched by an Angel to get to Columbo.

My roommate likes to watch Charlie's Angels, so I'm usually coming home to "once upon a time there were three little girls that went to the police academy." Talk about dating a TV show when women becoming cops was seen as unusual.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1010941900277178368

Spicy take David.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Read the full thing not just the lovely clickbait headline. Also, while it isn’t in that article, the full interview has him say that while he doesn’t think Trump himself is doing a good job, his election has opened the door for more actually competent people with the same “shake-things-up” mentality.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's still not a great look. SpeedRacerImAnAccelerationist was exactly the sort of excuse a lot of people who would not be affected by Trump's policies went with going into the election.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Escobarbarian posted:

Read the full thing not just the lovely clickbait headline. Also, while it isn’t in that article, the full interview has him say that while he doesn’t think Trump himself is doing a good job, his election has opened the door for more actually competent people with the same “shake-things-up” mentality.

And here I was hoping it was a video of Lynch in a MAGA hat throwing Mexican babies into a cage while telling the horrified audience they will never understand true art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, I think saying that he could be one of the greatest presidents ever because he's shown us how terrible he is and has opened the doors for someone even more outside the box to maybe get a chance is a bad take. Also the part where he says nobody has been able to intellectually counter Trump is pretty funny.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

X-O posted:

Yes, I think saying that he could be one of the greatest presidents ever because he's shown us how terrible he is and has opened the doors for someone even more outside the box to maybe get a chance is a bad take. Also the part where he says nobody has been able to intellectually counter Trump is pretty funny.
I think this is a very optimistic read, he doesn't really say that Trump is bad just that he's "disruptive" and that is seemingly good in his view without elaborating that much.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Lynch is pretty spot on. But also I'm in the accelerationist camp as well. *hides* (and I also think that as bad as things are for us and the UK right now, countries like France and Canada are going to be in it way worse because they kicked the can).

Did I post in the wrong thread for A Haunting streaming?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ontario was always garbage, Ford's not really changing much.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Lycus posted:

I don't think there was ever a thread, it was just talked about in the streaming thread, and I think it's on Netflix permanently.
Thanks!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

According to that article David Lynch is a Reagan to Obama to Bernie to Gary Johnson to Trump kind of voter so I'm going with "David Lynch is a complete and total idiot with no idea what's going on".

Of course he's also a prick because he seems disinterested in the harm and hatred Trump brings. But the article doesn't dig in and I don't get the impression Lynch has though that deeply.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Iron Crowned posted:

My roommate likes to watch Charlie's Angels, so I'm usually coming home to "once upon a time there were three little girls that went to the police academy." Talk about dating a TV show when women becoming cops was seen as unusual.

Meanwhile the opening monologue to Remington Steele could have been recorded today.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/vulture/status/1011222093894225920

The Tom Hanks one may be an all time top 10 sketch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

According to that article David Lynch is a Reagan to Obama to Bernie to Gary Johnson to Trump kind of voter so I'm going with "David Lynch is a complete and total idiot with no idea what's going on".

Of course he's also a prick because he seems disinterested in the harm and hatred Trump brings. But the article doesn't dig in and I don't get the impression Lynch has though that deeply.

honestly I kind of get the feeling Lynch is so much of a shut-in that he might not actually realize how harmful Trump is. it's something that you can easily fool yourself into thinking isn't a big deal, if you live in enough of a bubble.