Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Some lovely comments here now. No need to make fun of his weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

StealthArcher posted:

Most of it is great, but it has an odd undertone of Stephanie McMillan-esque "Willingly fall back to the stone age" crazy that the author seems to be skirting hard and unnerves me.

Maybe it's just me though.

It's funny because the Protagonist of the video game Super Mario Brothers wouldn't normally say things like that as he is a good guy. And the turtles are talking.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

Not sure if this thread is ready for such a violent change. How about we open a dialogue about it and in three or four years look at not making fun of his weight again?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I dunno who this guy is but he seems to be a critic of things on the internet so he's roughly applicable to thus thread and I figured some slightly less awful news is needed. :)

Check out @dannyodwyer’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/1010740504613523456?s=09

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'm somewhat familiar with the comics artist, with following him for years on livejournal and then having his stuff mostly rted on my twitter feed, and it's less "Well, in the end the Turtles and Mario are right (Mario is actively starving himself to death on that platform thru Mario Land logic" and more that the situation got so out of control that,yeah, Mario could feasibly be on that state with a bunch of nihilists. Luigi isn't there to be this harebringer of some sort of philosophy, he's there to save his brother from that hole he got himself into.

https://twitter.com/tommchenry/status/1009513126801412097

https://twitter.com/tommchenry/status/584233876479995904

https://twitter.com/tommchenry/status/1009147017518632960

These aren't comics done by someone who watches *Insert your favorite recent tragedy here that someone with a phone camera managed to snatch, that was big enough to warrant news reports online and on tv*, declares that the only reason he was seen it was because of a cabal meant to keep everyone miserable and its probably fake, and shoves himself in a Hitchens-based spiral so hard that he ends up deeming any sort of disgust at any societal ill as a cause of population control, ending up getting a 220:1 ratio over a picture of a sad child going to school with the words "Ah, the tragedies of the government separating families at force". It's written by someone who, like, actually gives a drat.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ghostlight posted:

I just wanted to mention how problematically eurocentric the comparisons of Pokémon to dog-fighting are.

It's based on bug-fighting.

Famous bug pikachu?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Well, he kinda took over the franchise, but the general gist is still bug fighting / collecting.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kunster posted:

Well, he kinda took over the franchise, but the general gist is still bug fighting / collecting.

Not really, tons of the pokemon are based off of birds, reptiles and mammals, and pretty much all of them seem to be pretty affectionate and intelligent as if they were real pets.

Of course that's influenced by the non-game stuff, but its a big part of the franchise now.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Structure, not actual involved flora and fauna.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Lot of very sane people here having a normal one about a fat YouTuber

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Oh my, a goon cameo on a DJ Slopes video? That's something else!

For those that don't know, Peter Madsen posted here during the time he was building the submarine/getting the crowdfunding required.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kunster posted:

Structure, not actual involved flora and fauna.

Doesn't matter, its not bug fighting anymore.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

khwarezm posted:

It's rock fighting

vs

Which rock is the better rock

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

khwarezm posted:

okay, you seem kinda dumb.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

you know what 'based on' means right?

Like animal crossing is 'based on' rural small town Japanese life but no matter how far you go no rural Japanese town has a real estate office run by a tanuki.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
"hey pokemon is clearly based on bug fighting. you have kids running around in tall grass, pokeballs are clearly just symbolized nets, the nearliest enemies we fight are bug catching boys, most of the early pokemons are bugs-"

"pikachu is a bug??"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

sexpig by night posted:

you know what 'based on' means right?

Like animal crossing is 'based on' rural small town Japanese life but no matter how far you go no rural Japanese town has a real estate office run by a tanuki.

Saying it's based on bug fighting is meaningless since it's now so far removed from that the comparison is laughable. Most of the pokemon aren't bugs, especially the most marketable, well known ones, none of them act like bugs at all, including the actual bug ones and they get treated like pets or even little people most of the time which is why it lends itself to people thinking about dog-fighting.

If you want to talk about the franchise like its still meant to be setting two dumb stag beetles against each other, you can if you want, it's just really dumb.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kim Justice posted:

McIntosh is just the cutest little utter berk. I'm not convinced that he isn't actually a bot designed for nothing but pumping out puritanical hot takes.

Hot takes on currently trending things are just social media optimization; he's just a few weeks behind the trending Pokemon announcement and should really pick up the pace if he's going to get those sweet argument views.

Leal posted:

It's rock fighting

vs

Which rock is the better rock

Doesn't matter; paper will beat it anyway.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

khwarezm posted:

Saying it's based on bug fighting is meaningless since it's now so far removed from that the comparison is laughable. Most of the pokemon aren't bugs, especially the most marketable, well known ones, none of them act like bugs at all, including the actual bug ones and they get treated like pets or even little people most of the time which is why it lends itself to people thinking about dog-fighting.

If you want to talk about the franchise like its still meant to be setting two dumb stag beetles against each other, you can if you want, it's just really dumb.

the only reason "it's so far removed" is that you're blinded by cosmetics and awed by the flying steel birds and electric rats. you're still a kid running around in tall grass capturing poo poo so you can fight with other kids with your "beetles".

next thing you're going to tell me that the lion king isn't actually hamlet because they're loving lions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

khwarezm posted:

it's based on bug fighting because the game was and still is about young children exploring tall grass and wild areas, collecting odd and interesting things, and having them fight in mostly friendly and social context.

Is this a thing where we're gonna find out you don't know what bug fights are and this all came because you were just going on the name or what

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
what the gently caress is bug fighting

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

KayTee posted:

I dunno who this guy is but he seems to be a critic of things on the internet so he's roughly applicable to thus thread and I figured some slightly less awful news is needed. :)

Check out @dannyodwyer’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/1010740504613523456?s=09

Looks like boogie on his alternate account was arguing "b-but it made people angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" crap in the immediate reply thread.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Goa Tse-tung posted:

what the gently caress is bug fighting

You take a ton of vitamin c and then go have loads of unprotected sex

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tired Moritz posted:

the only reason "it's so far removed" is that you're blinded by cosmetics and awed by the flying steel birds and electric rats. you're still a kid running around in tall grass capturing poo poo so you can fight with other kids with your "beetles".

next thing you're going to tell me that the lion king isn't actually hamlet because they're loving lions.
Yeah, but they aren't beetles, they obviously aren't beetles, that's the important part!

E; the lion king is interesting too, do you also get annoyed when people talk about the way the Hyenas are problematically portrayed as destructive outsiders who ruin the perfect, ordered aristocratic kingdom where all the other animals know their place?

sexpig by night posted:

it's based on bug fighting because the game was and still is about young children exploring tall grass and wild areas, collecting odd and interesting things, and having them fight in mostly friendly and social context.

Is this a thing where we're gonna find out you don't know what bug fights are and this all came because you were just going on the name or what

Well tell me then, does bug fighting usually entail pitting two rats against each other? Monkeys? Dogs? Hawks? I'm not being hyperbolic, you can basically do that in Pokemon and it's not much cause for concern, but because you can comparing it to innocently throwing some insects with a brain the size of a pinhead and who'll probably only live for a week into a ring falls over on the first hurdle. The tall grass and all that stuff, as much as you talk about it, doesn't make a difference its what's fighting that matters.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 25, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, but they aren't beetles, they obviously aren't beetles, that's the important part!

do you not understand the concept of metaphors

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

khwarezm posted:

E; the lion king is interesting too, do you also get annoyed when people talk about the way the Hyenas are problematically portrayed as destructive outsiders who ruin the perfect, ordered aristocratic kingdom where all the other animals know their place?

Well tell me then, does bug fighting usually entail pitting two rats against each other? Monkeys? Dogs? Hawks? I'm not being hyperbolic, you can basically do that in Pokemon and it's not much cause for concern, but because you can comparing it to innocently throwing some insects with a brain the size of a pinhead and who'll probably only live for a week into a ring falls over on the first hurdle. The tall grass and all that stuff, as much as you talk about it, doesn't make a difference its what's fighting that matters.

Settle down Jonathan

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tired Moritz posted:

do you not understand the concept of metaphors

Do you not understand how the metaphor melts apart because the context has changed so massively? They aren't beetles, sorry!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

nothinggetspastthisguy.png

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kim Justice posted:

Yeah, pity and revulsion should be the normal reaction. Making fun of fat people is scratching the bottom of the comedy barrel. It makes someone look like they are big dummies with zero sense of humor.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Thing is if you're going by actual resemblance to real life things Pokemon battles have less resemblance to real life dog fights than pro wrestling does to an actual fight to the death. All of the animals were emoting are given very human emotional expressions rather than animal ones. Hence why the fights in the TV show can be basically lifted directly from any other given anime series about dudes fighting.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

khwarezm posted:

Do you not understand how the metaphor melts apart because the context has changed so massively? They aren't beetles, sorry!

the context haven't really changed. you're just a moron, sorry.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Thing is if you're going by actual resemblance to real life things Pokemon battles have less resemblance to real life dog fights than pro wrestling does to an actual fight to the death. All of the animals were emoting are given very human emotional expressions rather than animal ones. Hence why the fights in the TV show can be basically lifted directly from any other given anime series about dudes fighting.

True, but I think that shows that the people behind it are pretty aware about the weird implications so they try to make it clear that it's all in good fun and consensual for the animals because they really don't want to seen as close to cock fighting.

Tired Moritz posted:

the context haven't really changed. you're just a moron, sorry.

You're really bad at this.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Isn't bug fighting a thing that gets shown on TV in Japan where two bugs are placed on a little rock, and whoever knocks the other one off first wins? I saw it on an Ozzy Man video once.

Speaking of Ozzy Man, he did a fair dinkum video today on TanaCon and it's funny as gently caress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p74bbLUb__8

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 25, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I can't :five: this hard enough

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

khwarezm posted:

True, but I think that shows that the people behind it are pretty aware about the weird implications so they try to make it clear that it's all in good fun and consensual for the animals because they really don't want to seen as close to cock fighting
Well yeah it's been meticulously scrubbed clean of anything bad. There is free healthcare, everyone cares about the environment to a hilarious degree, all of the bad guys are either snidely whiplashes or just idiots who think they're helping, and children can be expected to roam around the whole world unsupervised with nothing going wrong. Same as the Nintendo game about eating people or the Nintendo game about assassinating a head of state.

It's also why they don't really look like growlithe doesn't look like a real dog and pinsir doesn't look like a real beetle, instead they look like cartoon characters with highly anthropomorphized faces.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Here's an article that touches on the Bug Fighting inspiration behind the original Pokemon game.

Death of the author and all that, It's still a game about getting animals to fight each other, but I'm still lolling that a post about how the actual inspiration behind the series is often overlooked due to cultural differences was met with 'Nah that's bullshit it's clearly this thing I'm familiar with already'

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

khwarezm posted:

True, but I think that shows that the people behind it are pretty aware about the weird implications so they try to make it clear that it's all in good fun and consensual for the animals because they really don't want to seen as close to cock fighting.

or maybe it's more marketable and fun to have the pokemon have emotions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Phillby posted:

Here's an article that touches on the Bug Fighting inspiration behind the original Pokemon game.

Death of the author and all that, It's still a game about getting animals to fight each other, but I'm still lolling that a post about how the actual inspiration behind the series is often overlooked due to cultural differences was met with 'Nah that's bullshit it's clearly this thing I'm familiar with already'

That and stag beetle fights arnt lethal and they do it in the wild. They try to flip each other over and then it’s done. Much like Pokémon.