Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mr Phillby posted:

Here's an article that touches on the Bug Fighting inspiration behind the original Pokemon game.

Death of the author and all that, It's still a game about getting animals to fight each other, but I'm still lolling that a post about how the actual inspiration behind the series is often overlooked due to cultural differences was met with 'Nah that's bullshit it's clearly this thing I'm familiar with already'

If it was always just a bug hunt simulation that would work but the variety and personality of the pokemon pull it too far away from the bug catching roots for it to be really relevant.

Tired Moritz posted:

or maybe it's more marketable and fun to have the pokemon have emotions?

Like somebody said earlier the lore has to say that the pokemon like to fight and do so out of their own free will, and like Terrible Opinions mentioned the whole world is squeaky clean so that you don't have to worry about horrible life-long injuries or some unethical pokemon training ring where they're trying to make Charizard into a broken, horribly aggressive mostrosity, well most of the time.

The creators are clearly aware of some of the weird implications that the world of pokemon carries with it and have gone out of their way to explicitly neutralize those implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

next thing you're going to tell me that the lion king isn't actually hamlet because they're loving lions.
BHH made a case for it being based off of Sundiata instead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

you know what 'based on' means right?

Like animal crossing is 'based on' rural small town Japanese life but no matter how far you go no rural Japanese town has a real estate office run by a tanuki.

This is probably a good thing, given tanuki business practices.

quote:

Aside from their powerful ability to change their shape, perhaps the most famous attribute that tanuki possess is their large and magical testicles, which they can adapt to any need. They are used as weapons, drums, fans to keep cool, even umbrellas. Often, tanuki incorporate their testicles into their disguises: the tanuki becoming a shopkeeper and its testicles transforming into the shop; or perhaps a palanquin complete with servants to cart the tanuki from place to place.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Darth Walrus posted:

This is probably a good thing, given tanuki business practices.

Pompoko was a great movie.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

khwarezm posted:

The creators are clearly aware of some of the weird implications that the world of pokemon carries with it and have gone out of their way to explicitly neutralize those implications.
As aware as a Hollywood studio or AAA videogame publisher realizing they had some strong gay subtext and need to give all the male characters a case of the not gays, but in Pokemon's case it makes the final product better and not actively worse.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

what the gently caress is bug fighting

Heracross

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KayTee posted:

I dunno who this guy is but he seems to be a critic of things on the internet so he's roughly applicable to thus thread and I figured some slightly less awful news is needed. :)

Check out @dannyodwyer’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/1010740504613523456?s=09

Even when he explains the worldview, I still don’t understand it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

business hammocks posted:

Even when he explains the worldview, I still don’t understand it.

quote:

The point of this? Don’t look to straight white dudes when you want to know how social change works. We haven’t a clue. We‘re coddled by the status quo & don’t know any better. Listen to those who tell you there‘s a problem. And if you don’t believe them, listen until you do.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
4 Statements the Traditional Narrative gets WRONG about WW2 German and Italian Divisions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3RGtIpjvvw

:siren: :hitler: HITLER DID NOTHING WRONG!!!* :hitler: :siren:

*as far as his generals blaming him for their own fuckups and failures after the fact that is.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Quoting for a new page cause I can't let this treasure be lost.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

4 Statements the Traditional Narrative gets WRONG about WW2 German and Italian Divisions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3RGtIpjvvw

:siren: :hitler: HITLER DID NOTHING WRONG!!!* :hitler: :siren:

*as far as his generals blaming him for their own fuckups and failures after the fact that is.

I feel like I've seen another Youtuber do this take better already, but I can't remember which.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MiddleOne posted:

I feel like I've seen another Youtuber do this take better already, but I can't remember which.

Was it animated or another guy talking to a camera?

I can name a couple more that could be who you're thinking of. :v:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

There are 77 Pokemon that have some form of Bug-typing.

There are somewhere around 22 dog shaped Pokemon (though there is no "Dog" type.)

All that is moot, because there are 133 Water-type Pokemon, making the Pokemon series OFFICIALLY a Fish/Turtle/Duck/Frog/Shellfish/etc. fighting game.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Isn't bug fighting a thing that gets shown on TV in Japan where two bugs are placed on a little rock, and whoever knocks the other one off first wins? I saw it on an Ozzy Man video once.

Definitely! When the card game -> console games started getting traction, there were a few pieces on papers here that poked at both bug collecting and fighting to explain the appeal, and they worked rather well. Speaking of which, I can probably relay some stuff that happened in Portugal a few weeks back that is related to the youtube scene here:

The youtube scene here has had a similar development here (You have your minecraft people, your react-types, your bloggers, etc etc), but there's not much of a development of more serious producers to write about their sidework. With that, there's also a bit of a resentment between more web-based producers and mainstream private networks (The biggest one was straight up founded by a former head of the centre-right party, being SiC and the second biggest one being founded by a need for more catholic programming and Endemol, being TVI) + some level of nationalist fervor to keep kids away from non-portuguese sources. What this means is that only magazines and public tv had a more healthy relationship with v-bloggers bringing their knowhow and tech and making way more well produced shows. That being said, telecoms haven't ignored how big youtube celebrities have gotten and decided to ask them for advertising help, leading to adverts that are... alright?

Around the same time, a radio host heard her children swear and proceeded to start talking more about the influence of youtubers on the minds of portuguese kids. The ordeal with Logan Paul and the PewDiePie controversies were ignored, so instead of dead bodies and fiverring racist videos or finger family poo poo, the disgust was more centered on videos with youtubers going on how cleaning your room is a chore and how doing tests suck. You might notice that something is definitely up when Youtube is seen as a kids' only medium, no coverage of US-related online matters was properly looked into and its barely seen as a job. Add to that said radio host part admitting that she started discussing this more was because she was sick of people talking about racism and sexism.

On May, Sic posted a major report on youtubers mostly centering it as a kids-only avenue, with no acknowledgement of any non-PT based youtube material, no acknowledgement of what goes behind the scenes as a job, barely no consent from interviewed youtubers, no talking about youtube itself as a corporation. If I had to put a highlight, the positive side of youtube was of a child drawing his Sonic OC and explaining that he managed to start talking english and learning other skills better with their help, and the most heart-freezing statement of "You cannot forbid the children from being online, otherwise they will not be adapted to the future workplace". There was a backlash to the point you'll find barely no youtubers or any sort of online producers in Portugal willing to work with Sic afterwards. On a small country where most major pt youtubers were on a US tour, and the only major one that didn't one didn't give a drat about the backlash was being robbed in Florida!

Honestly glad that the backlash didn't spread too hard, even if Sic honestly deserved a kick in the rear end for that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/jun/25/ubisoft-tom-clancy-division-2-politics-criticism

well this will end well. what he is trying to say is pretty good for a AAA publisher. I still find some of the critiques of far cry 5 eye rolling (and i do think the story was pretty poo poo and didnt explore poo poo enough) I like open ended think for yourself style. not a hamfisted stance but a statement for you to think about. that being said some games that do take a stance do it very well. like mafia 3.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 25, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

what the gently caress is bug fighting

https://twitter.com/StargazerSt/status/891851645826367488

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

it was super effective.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I can't believe Kabuterimon is loving dead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

Some lovely comments here now. No need to make fun of his weight.

my joke about his weight was p funny.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Leal posted:

Thus proving once and for all that Pokemon is better than Digimon

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

khwarezm posted:

If it was always just a bug hunt simulation that would work but the variety and personality of the pokemon pull it too far away from the bug catching roots for it to be really relevant.
It was never meant to be a simulation at all that's just where the concept came from my dude. Nobody's arguing there aren't hosed up implications or that nintendo haven't tried to mitigate said implications.

I'm not even sure what 'that would work' is in reference to? We're just giving you cultural context. You're perfectly welcome to your Pokemon=badger baiting hot takes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

my joke about his weight was p funny.

yeah but :decorum:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did not expect that last-second twist.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Please don’t post those two dogs dogfighting to their doggy deaths

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Please don’t post those two dogs dogfighting to their doggy deaths

clearly they are roosters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Beetle tendency.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The real laughable think about McIntosh's post on Pokemon is how he says it would be better if it was just collecting.

Which reads as him saying that buying exotic pets is totally cool and good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

clearly they are roosters.

Can I get a redo on my joke ahem
Please don’t post those two dogs cockfighting to die like rats

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I like the little kicky front leg as he's getting yanked off the mat.

"I got this, I got this...poo poo"

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
The most important thing I’ve learned about beetles fighting is that the males are so gung-ho about throwing other beetles that they’re liable to toss a lady beetle out of the tree after banging because they don’t know what else to do.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Leal posted:

I mean that's what happens when they fight a HerculesKabuterimon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am tim! posted:

The most important thing I’ve learned about beetles fighting is that the males are so gung-ho about throwing other beetles that they’re liable to toss a lady beetle out of the tree after banging because they don’t know what else to do.

seems about right. I have always wanted to get a tarantula or a beetle.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Beetle tendency.

That's it everyone, the topic is over. It has peaked. We will not top this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245mBIvImqs

clemps made a new video on kingdom hearts 2.

good poo poo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

KayTee posted:

I dunno who this guy is but he seems to be a critic of things on the internet so he's roughly applicable to thus thread and I figured some slightly less awful news is needed. :)

Check out @dannyodwyer’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/1010740504613523456?s=09

https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/714582679438491648

This was regarding the Tracer pose in Overwatch controversy

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

So a few years ago on a discussion on one of the iterations of this thread, I talked about Socks The Cat Rocks The Hill. The Retropals played it thru recently!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol. ripping nixons genitals apart with cat claws seems cool and good.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Beetle tendency.

There's an actual bugfight in JoJolion, too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Solitair posted:

There's an actual bugfight in JoJolion, too.

I know. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVNRYQ10IXk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is probably old news, but if you hate watching videos on facebook as much as I do, Lindsay's It's Lit series is also carried on the PBS Digital Studios youtube account. There's a new one up today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn3aKZ8ZVFo

This one covers some genuinely fascinating forgotten history (to me anyway--I never took any courses on kids' books in college) that really proves librarians are in yet another way the unsung saviors of human culture. It's disappointing PBS is still on the "comment below" train, as I'm sure the comments are roiling with some kind of chud contempt that I can't even imagine, probably "I was always too mature for kids' books, which are contemptible women's work, and loved the real classics, like Tolkien and Asimov!"