Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

Character Bio:

From far upstate New York, Malcolm Larsen was barely 17 when America broke apart. Naturally more inclined to academic than physical pursuits (though he did spent much of his youth outdoors in the Adirondacks), Larsen enrolled in an engineering program at the local university, paying his way through school by doing cropdusting and other odd jobs in an old biplane he purchased for a few hundred dollars. After he was banned from the engineering program (for attempting to synthesize an explosive chemical he read about in a library book), he turned to piloting full time.

code:
Character Name: Malcolm Larsen 
ATTS [90]:
ST 9 [-10]; 
DX 11 [20]; 
IQ 14 [80]; 
HT 10 [0]. 
HP 9 [ ];
Will 14 [ ]; 
Per 14 [ ]; 
FP 10 [ ]. 
TL: 0 above campaign tech level.
 Languages: English (Spoken: Native, Written: Native) 
Russian (Spoken: Broken, Written: Broken) 
Spanish (Spoken: Accented , Written: Broken) 
Reaction modifiers: Appearance [0] Status 0 [] Reputation 0 [] 

Advantages [37]:
 Combat Reflexes [15] 
Daredevil [15] 
Fearlessness (1) [2] 
Disadvantages [10]: 
Code of Honour - informal peers [-5] 
Curious* [-5] 

Skills [83]:
Area Knowledge = [2] 
Climbing = [1]
 Engineer/TL = [12] 
Explosives/TL = [4] 
Hiking = [8] 
Mathematics/TL = [4] 
Mechanic/TL = [8] 
Research/TL = [4] 
Survival = [1] 
Swimming = [1] 
Tactics = [8] 
Vehicle Skills - Easy: Driving = [2] 
Vehicle Skills - Average: Piloting = [8]
 Vehicle Skills - Hard: Piloting = [12] 
Writing = [8]
Voting for Great Lakes as our location.

The only issue with your sheet is that languages cost points to add, even at Broken level. It looks like you've added 5 points' worth of languages, so adding one more cheap Disadvantage or a few quirks should cover the Spanish and Russian.

Bacarruda posted:

I like the Great Lakes.

How much for Tommy Gun?

There's a big list of weapons and they all have a deployment cost in addition to their purchase cost (I'll explain in detail later, but it's our abstraction of fuel and ammo purchases and maintenance requirements), but taking a look at my current vendor lists it appears that Thompsons average $900 to $1200 per gun depending on which model.

I did make a test starting base and army just to make sure that the amount of land and money you got was fair. Even without hiring any soldiers, the test army had a small starting base with all the minimal amenities, enough assault rifles and submachine guns to arm all the PCs, and a few armored cars, self-propelled guns, and cheap fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Our current voting list is:

Sunshine State: 4
New France: 1
Great Lakes: 5
Conch Republic: 1

I'll give it about 12 more hours before I end the vote.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Added a bit of backstory, as well as German Native/Literate in exchange for Disdadvange: Sense of Duty (Merc Squad.) If my math is correct that's +/-5, so should work?

Goon Squad could work, that's a pretty sick logo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sniper4625 posted:

Added a bit of backstory, as well as German Native/Literate in exchange for Disdadvange: Sense of Duty (Merc Squad.) If my math is correct that's +/-5, so should work?

Goon Squad could work, that's a pretty sick logo.

Yeah, looks like you're good!

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Added overconfidence, which I think covers the -5.

Also, since this is a pulp setting with 1940s technology, I'm going to be very sad if the XF5U doesn't make an appearance at some point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

Added overconfidence, which I think covers the -5.

Also, since this is a pulp setting with 1940s technology, I'm going to be very sad if the XF5U doesn't make an appearance at some point.

Basically, almost every experimental weapon from WW2 and shortly after is part of this setting. Jets are much more rare due to how hosed up the economy has been with America breaking up and all, but several of the starter planes are experimental projects like the Bell XP-77 (a simplified lightweight fighter made from wood) and you'll also see stuff like the Curtiss XP-55 Ascender and the Bell YFM-1 Airacuda.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Basically, almost every experimental weapon from WW2 and shortly after is part of this setting. Jets are much more rare due to how hosed up the economy has been with America breaking up and all, but several of the starter planes are experimental projects like the Bell XP-77 (a simplified lightweight fighter made from wood) and you'll also see stuff like the Curtiss XP-55 Ascender and the Bell YFM-1 Airacuda.

I just noticed that there's one actual superpower listed (jumper), and now I sort of want to make a character called Phil A. Delphia who gained it when he fell off a boat.

I bet kojima already did it in some spinoff though

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tunicate posted:

I just noticed that there's one actual superpower listed (jumper), and now I sort of want to make a character called Phil A. Delphia who gained it when he fell off a boat.

I bet kojima already did it in some spinoff though

The full GURPS Basic Set has a lot of powers. The thing I love about GURPS is that it's a generic universal system (hence the name) that almost entirely uses real world units of measurement, so you can use it for literally any setting and type of gameplay possible. There's lots of sourcebooks that add more supernatural stuff, including one that's dedicated entirely to superhero fiction.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

chitoryu12 posted:

The full GURPS Basic Set has a lot of powers. The thing I love about GURPS is that it's a generic universal system (hence the name) that almost entirely uses real world units of measurement, so you can use it for literally any setting and type of gameplay possible. There's lots of sourcebooks that add more supernatural stuff, including one that's dedicated entirely to superhero fiction.

Full Metal Gear Kookiness when? I needs me a Cyborg Spy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OscarDiggs posted:

Full Metal Gear Kookiness when? I needs me a Cyborg Spy.

I don't think we'll include anything supernatural in this game, but I have a number of more traditional campaigns that could fit in with cyborgs and magic. Special ops will look more like this if Indy had 3 or 4 guys for backup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvQEJH_6kzs

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Reginald Bartlett

Reginald Bartlett is a businessman, thank you very much. After suffering an automobile accident at a young age, Reginald was left legless and confined to a wheelchair. He thereupon focused himself on academics and study. After graduating and going into the field of business, he became rather successful. During the war he spent time as a cryptographer and intelligence analyst. With the destruction of DC and the splitting of the country, Reginald found himself at a crossroads, unable to decide who to remain loyal to. Reginald is one of those still calling for the reunification of the United States and feels that this mercenary group may be where to start. As such, he has invested a large amount of capital in the endeavor and has left his remaining business holdings in the care of competent underlings. He is the primary stockholder and current manager of the business side of the mercenary company.

code:
Name: Reginald Bartlett
Race: Human

Attributes [115]
ST 11 [10]
DX 12 [40]
IQ 15 [100]
HT 11 [10]

HP 11
Will 12 [-15]
Per 12 [-15]
FP 11

Basic Lift 24
Damage 1d-1/1d+1

Basic Speed 5.75
Basic Move 2 [-15]

Ground Move 2

Social Background
TL: 6 [0]
Cultural Familiarities: 
Languages: English (Native/Native) [0].

Advantages [25]
Business Acumen (2) [20]
Intuitive Mathematician [5]

Disadvantages [-25]
Lame (Missing Legs) [-20]
Selfless (12 or less) [-5]

Skills [85]
Accounting IQ/H - IQ+2 17 [4]
	includes: +2 from 'Business Acumen'
Administration IQ/A - IQ+2 17 [2]
Cryptography/TL6 IQ/H - IQ+1 16 [8]
Current Affairs/TL6 (Politics) IQ/E - IQ+1 16 [2]
Detect Lies Per/H - Per+4 16 [20]
Diplomacy IQ/H - IQ+1 16 [8]
Economics IQ/H - IQ+1 16 [2]
Finance IQ/H - IQ+2 17 [4]
Guns/TL6 (Pistol) DX/E - DX+4 16 [12]
Intelligence Analysis/TL6 IQ/H - IQ+1 16 [8]
Market Analysis IQ/H - IQ+1 16 [2]
Merchant IQ/A - IQ+1 16 [1]
Philosophy (Marxism) IQ/H - IQ+2 17 [12]

Stats [115] Ads [25] Disads [-25] Quirks [0] Skills [85] = Total [200]

Hand Weapons

Ranged Weapons
1  Colt Government, .45 ACP  LC:3  Dam:2d pi+  Acc:2  Range:150 / 1600  
    RoF:3  Shots:7+1(3)  ST:10  Bulk:-2  Rcl:3  $850  Wgt:2.8  

Armor & Possessions
1  Holster, Fast-Draw Rig  $500  Wgt:3  Location:  
I suggest Great Lakes

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oscar asked this, so I'll let everyone know: you guys can tweak your characters all the way until we finish our initial base and army purchases. Once we start receiving missions, your characters are locked in. Until then, you can feel free to mess around with it as long as you stay within that 200-point limit and let me know of any updates.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Current vote tally:

Sunshine State: 4
New France: 1
Great Lakes: 6
Conch Republic: 1

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Oscar asked this, so I'll let everyone know: you guys can tweak your characters all the way until we finish our initial base and army purchases. Once we start receiving missions, your characters are locked in. Until then, you can feel free to mess around with it as long as you stay within that 200-point limit and let me know of any updates.

Okay, took a couple extra quirks so I can speak English

Name: Jean Paris Eiffel
Player: Tunicate

Stats (total 130)

ST: 10 00
DX: 13 60
IQ: 13 60
HT: 11 10

Language: French (Native), English (Accented)

Advantage:
Lucky (15)
Speaks Accented English: (2)

Skills (total of 72):
Outdoorsman(40) Camouflage, Naturalist, Navigation, Survival, and Tracking.

Shadowing IQ+3 8
Observation IQ+3 8
Missile Weapon (Gunner/Rifle) DX+3 8
Melee Weapon (Fencing/Rapier) DX+2 8

Disadvantages (total of -17)

Intolerance (Germans) -5
Delusion (-5) and Obsession (-5): Believes Hitler somehow survived getting nuked, wants to hunt him down and kill him
Quirk: Outrageous French Accent (-1)
Quirk: Eats Snails (-1)
Quirk: Unironically Enjoys Mimes (-1)
Quirk: Wears a Beret (-1)

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 25, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Even at night, Chicago is noisy from the 9th story office of Bane & Wolf. Cars honking as they ride roughshod through the intersections, occasional shouts from drunken bums or construction workers calling to each other as they repave the street. The glow of neon lights is countered by the incandescent bulbs in Jonathan Bane's office.

"Sun Briar?" Bane filled a glass with bourbon and set it on the desk in front of the wheelchair-bound man. "Distilled right here in Chicago. I prefer Four Roses, but the tariffs our politicians have put on Appalachia make it a bit more expensive than it probably deserves."

He opened a folder on his desk. "I got that plot of land you asked for, just south of Detroit on Pointe Mouillee. It's undeveloped, so there's no risk of your training bothering anyone. Just be careful shooting east, that's Canada. You'll have easy access to all the manufacturers there whenever you make an order. Air's lovely as hell, but you should get used to it eventually."

Bane looked puzzled at one note on the paper. "Says here you had a Frenchman ask for it based on the name?"

Welcome to The Great Lakes Region! Reginald's dealing has granted you a plot of swampy land just 30 miles south of downtown Detroit, right on the banks of Lake Erie. There's enough room for an airstrip if you want one (though anything more than smoothed-out dirt will cost you) and even naval facilities if you have any expectations of skirmishes with Canada.

You're all expected to settle in tomorrow with your remaining million to officially start your unit. You've got local volunteers to hire from, but there's also the option of hiring from one of the other nations if you're willing to pay some more up front. You'll also be expected to decide exactly how to construct your initial base, from barracks and mess halls to garages and chapels. And once you've got your troops and living quarters taken care of, you'll need to buy equipment. Everything is on sale, from handguns and assault rifles to tanks and fighter planes. Just remember that you'll need people with driving, piloting, or boating skill for the vehicles.

You'll have the night to pack and get some sleep, or hit up one of the Chicago saloons if you want. But be ready to drive out in the morning. It's a long way to your new home.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

chitoryu12 posted:

Welcome to The Great Lakes Region! Reginald's dealing has granted you a plot of swampy land just 30 miles south of downtown Detroit, right on the banks of Lake Erie. There's enough room for an airstrip if you want one (though anything more than smoothed-out dirt will cost you) and even naval facilities if you have any expectations of skirmishes with Canada.

You're all expected to settle in tomorrow with your remaining million to officially start your unit. You've got local volunteers to hire from, but there's also the option of hiring from one of the other nations if you're willing to pay some more up front. You'll also be expected to decide exactly how to construct your initial base, from barracks and mess halls to garages and chapels. And once you've got your troops and living quarters taken care of, you'll need to buy equipment. Everything is on sale, from handguns and assault rifles to tanks and fighter planes. Just remember that you'll need people with driving, piloting, or boating skill for the vehicles.

"Boss, why not use boat? If the boat is big, we can land planes on. Lots of room for guns and people."

chitoryu12 posted:

You'll have the night to pack and get some sleep, or hit up one of the Chicago saloons if you want. But be ready to drive out in the morning. It's a long way to your new home.

Kang: I hang out at the corner of the bar and picks the pockets of the drunkest marks I can find. I keep an eye out for the nearest exit, ready to leg it if I get caught. Once I've got a nice wad of cash, head to the nearest diner and order one of everything on the menu.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 26, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

"Says here you had a Frenchman ask for it based on the name?"

Jean was quite familiar with how to keep soldiers motivated.

"Ze Mouillee in proximity to 'url=https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9226409,-83.2814611,14z?hl=en]Breast Bay[/url]' will be good for morale, no?"

quote:

"Boss, why not use boat? If the boat is big, we can land planes on. Lots of room for guns and people."
"Perhaps in ze future we can locate ze Canadian prototype for project Habakkuk."

Jean leaves for an expatriates bar, trying to see if he can get any leads from his fellow countrymen about the local mercenary competition. It is important to know your enemies. Any one of them could be backed by secret nazi gold.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Rupert Sebastian Barntale-Sanquith Esq.

Bloody bloody bloody hell! One arse end of nowhere with bad weather for another arse end of nowhere with bad weather. And a swampy one at that! At least the particular arse end they were in now had good drinks!

“Is it really too late to pick somewhere with a little sun, chaps?” he looks around desperately, before giving up with an exaggerated sigh. “Very well then. Stiff upper lip and all that. It shall be good being close to some colonials that didn't turn out to be rebellious, eh?” he jokes to the surrounding Americans.

Kamran my good man. What say you and I do a last bit of scouting for a place that sells a decent cup of tea? 30 miles sounds a bit too long of a trek for a morning brew, eh wot?”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bacarruda posted:

Kang: I hang out at the corner of the bar and picks the pockets of the drunkest marks I can find. I keep an eye out for the nearest exit, ready to leg it if I get caught. Once I've got a nice wad of cash, head to the nearest diner and order one of everything on the menu.

So that would be making a 3d6 roll against Pickpocket. Since you don't have any specific skill points in Pickpocket, it defaults to DX-6, Filch-5, or Sleight of Hand-4. You don't have either of those skills, so you're rolling at DX-6, or 9. However, you get a +10 if the mark is drunk or asleep. That gives you a target number of 19, which means you'd only fail on a Critical Failure of 18.

For these rolls, go to this link for our dice chatroom. To maintain fairness, I'll be rolling anything that can be rolled in the open here. The room name is "divided states of america" and the password is "goon" without the quotation marks in case you need to log in.

Since you didn't specify how many pockets you were picking, I'll do 3 rolls.

Kang picks his marks well. He gets close to being caught, but he legs it out the door with $313 in cash and dumps the wallets in the trash can outside. It doesn't take long before he's sitting in front of an absolute feast of eggs, steak, corned beef hash, whitefish sandwiches, and toast with a mug of coffee and a glass of orange juice.

After gorging himself, Kang makes it out with $5 left from his bounty.

Later today I'll post the building purchase list.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Jack Domai

I'll spend some time playing cards - hoping to pick up coin and information in equal measure.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 25, 2018

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Here is my characters Bio(sorry for being late, real life had some other ideas):

Name Klaas Meijer, Born in Groningen and studied in amsterdam at the Hogere Zeevaartschool Amsterdam for engineer. Here though fiiting in with the rest of his fellow students, it's also where he learned to drink, they always teased him with his origin. hence the name Grunn, a dialectic name for his city of birth. After finishing the school sailed quite a few boats maintaining everything on a ship from engines to electronics. He managed to get entangled with a ship that was smuggling and kept that lifestyle and earning him enough for a comfortable life. One of his friends told him of the possibility of earning more money by doing something exciting.

Grunn
I'm looking at the people in the bar looking for familiar faces or something weird/interessting

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sniper4625 posted:

Jack Domai

I'll spend some time playing cards - hoping to pick up coin and information in equal measure.

Since you spent a point on Gambling to make it the attribute minus one and it's an IQ skill, your base skill is Gambling 12. A basic Gambling roll would be used to identify the odds or a cheater; since you're actually playing, it'll be a Regular Contest where you and the NPC both roll against your Gambling skill. If one of you wins the roll and the other loses, that's an obvious result. If you both win or both lose the roll, it's a tie and you both roll again. Whoever is the first to win when the other loses gets the hand.

Jack: CRITICAL FAILURE
Gambler: Win, margin of 0

Maybe it's the drink making him overconfident, but Jack bets a little bit more than he probably should have on the worst poker hand he's ever held on his life. Bluffing only goes so far when you're not taking doubles of bourbon, and it didn't work out this time. This would only be a problem if Jack didn't have any money.

Jack doesn't have any money.

"Hey, you don't put down a hundred if you can't pay a hundred!" The gambler, stained white T-shirt bulging over his muscles from years of manual labor, stands up and slams down his hands on the table. "Now you give me what you owe, or my boys are taking you out back!"

Hopefully someone can get this guy out of a jam. Reginald's holding the unit funds and out in Chicago he's the only one who has the authority to release any.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Glaedwine
I was hoping for nice sunshine, a good sea breeze and the occasional shower. Not endless smog, and no stars at night. But if thats where the company is, that is where I am. I pack up what little I have:an old photo of my former squad and some mementos from ops I probably shouldn't have kept. Not to mention a patch from that unknown enemy squad, not that anyone has been able to identify it. With that done, I try to find the largest group of fellow soldiers to party the night with. Best to celebrate at the beginning, who knows what the future holds. I had been searching for a new home, and hopefully the The Goon Squad will be it. Maybe do some arm wrestling for fun while out.

OOC:If Reginald was hanging out with other people from the company, I would probably be there, and step in to help

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Nothing like a good bar fight to make memories for life, isn't that what they say?

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Grunn

I'm checking if the folks trying to jump Jack aren't armed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stago Lego posted:

Grunn

I'm checking if the folks trying to jump Jack aren't armed.

You can't see any visible weapons. I'll also roll Search for you to see if you notice any hidden weapons. You don't have the Search skill, so it'll be Perception-5, or a target number of 7. Because this is a roll where knowing whether you succeeded or failed could spoil the result, the roll will be done in secret and you're just told the results your character knows.

Grunn takes a look at the three men standing up along the table. None of them are holding anything, and he can't see any telltale bulges of hidden weapons.

sniper4625 posted:

Nothing like a good bar fight to make memories for life, isn't that what they say?

Damanation posted:

Glaedwine
I was hoping for nice sunshine, a good sea breeze and the occasional shower. Not endless smog, and no stars at night. But if thats where the company is, that is where I am. I pack up what little I have:an old photo of my former squad and some mementos from ops I probably shouldn't have kept. Not to mention a patch from that unknown enemy squad, not that anyone has been able to identify it. With that done, I try to find the largest group of fellow soldiers to party the night with. Best to celebrate at the beginning, who knows what the future holds. I had been searching for a new home, and hopefully the The Goon Squad will be it. Maybe do some arm wrestling for fun while out.

OOC:If Reginald was hanging out with other people from the company, I would probably be there, and step in to help

All right, let me know how you guys want to approach this in the event that Reginald isn't present to get you money. You have pretty much any conceivable option: call Reginald to spot you $100, run, wait until you get attacked and then fight back in self-defense, take the first swing, etc.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Reginald Bartlett
Smoking his pipe, Reginald took in his employees. Gambling, fighting, petty crime; just like he expected. Withdrawing a notebook from his breast pocket, he began scribbling down ideas for later, once they reached the base and surveyed the land. Noticing one of his employees gambling with money he didn't have, he sighed and rolled his wheelchair over to the table. "Mr Domai, please refrain from gambling with money you don't have. I can spot you this once, but not again." His piece said, Reginald hands the gambler a $100. He motions for the employees still in the bar to follow him to a set of tables in the back. "I'd like to speak with all of you about some preliminary ideas for the company. We can't really do anything about purchasing until we survey the land better, but I expect we can make some bylaws and regulations for conduct, as well as brainstorm what sort of work we'd like to focus on."

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Waiting for a response from “Cameron”, Rupert is eager to insert himself into a conversation with the money man.

“Well now I may not be too militarily minded, but as I can see we have two main priorities; Planes and Morale. A good three of our number are experienced pilots and as close as we are to Detroit, we'd be fools not to get a good number of vehicles on the cheap. With a decent air field and a number of starting machines, our starting three could easily begin with training a number of others. Think of it, the first fully mercenary air force! Not to mention, with our central location planes and helicopters are going to be the only way to travel at any speed to our contracts.”

“When it comes to Morale; well whether or not we wanted to end up in the middle of snow blasted nowhere is now out of the question. We're going. But between the smog, snow and the smoggy snow we're going to get very few who are going to be happy about it. As far out as we'll be from Detroit, we'll need some creature comforts to keep ourselves running at tip top shape! A decent barracks, a loaded Gym, a fully kitted mess hall; not one that just serves out slop and gruel. Perhaps a radio tower for decent continent wide reception. Given the pollution I wouldn't say a Hospital is out of the question. A movie theatre and a library may be pushing it... then again perhaps not! It is 30 miles of swampland to civilisation after all. The more self-sufficient we are, the less likely we are to be missing the sunny beaches of The Sunshine State.”

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 25, 2018

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

OscarDiggs posted:

Waiting for a response from “Cameron”, Rupert is eager to insert himself into a conversation with the money man.

“Well now I may not be too militarily minded, but as I can see we have two main priorities; Planes and Morale. A good three of our number are experienced pilots and as close as we are to Detroit, we'd be fools not to get a good number of vehicles on the cheap. With a decent air field and a number of starting machines, our starting three could easily begin with training a number of others. Think of it, the first fully mercenary air force! Not to mention, with our central location planes and helicopters are going to be the only way to travel at any speed to our contracts.”

“When it comes to Morale; well whether or not we wanted to end up in the middle of snow blasted nowhere is now out of the question. We're going. But between the smog, snow and the smoggy snow we're going to get very few who are going to be happy about it. As far out as we'll be from Detroit, we'll need some creature comforts to keep ourselves running at tip top shape! A decent barracks, a loaded Gym, a fully kitted mess hall; not one that just serves out slop and gruel. Perhaps a radio tower for decent continent wide reception. Given the pollution I wouldn't say a Hospital is out of the question. A movie theatre and a library may be pushing it... then again perhaps not! It is 30 miles of swampland to civilisation after all. The more self-sufficient we are, the less likely we are to be missing the sunny beaches of The Sunshine State.”

Reginald
Nodding, Reginald says "I take your ideas regarding morale to be useful. I'm certain we can get the first three, as for the rest, we will certainly have radio facilities and I'm certain we can obtain some books for a small library on base. As for a theater, I don't believe it will be needed. If the weather is good we can show movies outside and if it isn't I'm sure the mess hall or a hanger will suffice. Medical facilities will be more akin to a small town, a surgical suite and a doctor will be critical, but anything more in depth we can go to Detroit for at the moment. This will certainly be subject to change as we expand." Reginald removes his notebook from his pocket and jots down some notes. "What I'm more concerned about is what form our airforce should take; should we be primarily a fighter unit? Close air support? Tactical bombing? Strategic? Naval? Heliborne assault? Paratroops? This is something we need to decide before we start purchasing. We should also be concerned with what sort of jobs we take. I would have extreme moral reservations about taking jobs with the New Confederacy. My ancestors fought them before, I'd rather not fight for them."

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Reginald Bartlett
Smoking his pipe, Reginald took in his employees. Gambling, fighting, petty crime; just like he expected. Withdrawing a notebook from his breast pocket, he began scribbling down ideas for later, once they reached the base and surveyed the land. Noticing one of his employees gambling with money he didn't have, he sighed and rolled his wheelchair over to the table. "Mr Domai, please refrain from gambling with money you don't have. I can spot you this once, but not again." His piece said, Reginald hands the gambler a $100. He motions for the employees still in the bar to follow him to a set of tables in the back. "I'd like to speak with all of you about some preliminary ideas for the company. We can't really do anything about purchasing until we survey the land better, but I expect we can make some bylaws and regulations for conduct, as well as brainstorm what sort of work we'd like to focus on."

Jack Domai

"Awfully obliged, I assure you, to be repaid, of course, of course.

With regards to our immediate plans - well, I'm no flyboy, but I learned over in Europe that without friends on the ground, the fancy lads up the sky aren't operating at their top capacity. I figured I'd work on getting our environs scouted and secured, and when we're in the field I can serve as FAC as well as any.

As for what we're going to do, on a bigger picture level, well...that's a tougher question.

Adding Overconfident(-5), Electronics Operation +0/2, First Aid +1/2

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 25, 2018

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Reginald
Nodding, Reginald says "I take your ideas regarding morale to be useful. I'm certain we can get the first three, as for the rest, we will certainly have radio facilities and I'm certain we can obtain some books for a small library on base. As for a theater, I don't believe it will be needed. If the weather is good we can show movies outside and if it isn't I'm sure the mess hall or a hanger will suffice. Medical facilities will be more akin to a small town, a surgical suite and a doctor will be critical, but anything more in depth we can go to Detroit for at the moment. This will certainly be subject to change as we expand." Reginald removes his notebook from his pocket and jots down some notes. "What I'm more concerned about is what form our airforce should take; should we be primarily a fighter unit? Close air support? Tactical bombing? Strategic? Naval? Heliborne assault? Paratroops? This is something we need to decide before we start purchasing. We should also be concerned with what sort of jobs we take. I would have extreme moral reservations about taking jobs with the New Confederacy. My ancestors fought them before, I'd rather not fight for them."

I'd lean against pure air superiority - tactical bombers with heliborne capabilities would provide the best mixture of combined-arms punch, with I guess a few pure fighters for air-superiority purposes as needed. Depends what we can afford to start out with, I suppose.

No objections from me about giving the Neo-Dixies a wide berth.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Grunn

Grunn joins the others and brings up:
'Well my specialty is boat's and such. Though I have some experience with planes as well. I would suggest to add a well equiped workshop to the list. The more we can do ourselves the less we have to rely on others, it also lowers down-time of our equipment. Also maybe I can make some specials...'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As the talks go on, everyone eventually falls into slumber. It's a dawn drive out to the site from Chicago.

--------

June 25th, 1955
Current Weather: Sunny, 72 degrees

It takes about 5 hours, but the old green cars pull off the road onto Pointe Mouillee. The haze of Detroit is visible in the distance, and you can tell the blue skies aren't going to last very long. The land is swampy and has its share of fishflies zipping around this time of summer, but the weather is still comfortably cool. It'll make a fine base once you get everything up. At least you've got contractors for hire...

Coming up next is the base purchases!

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Glaedwine
"I'm not much of a flyboy myself. I was more of a ground operator, but I'm a better shot with weapons than most. I could man a tail gun or something similar if I had to. But wouldn't it be expensive? Not to mention we would need ground crews to protect any forward air bases.

I agree with Grunn on the workshop. The better we take care of our arsenal, the safer we are. And if he really can whip up something special, well our targets won't be able to expect it.

What I think we will need is an information center of some kind. Intel is key, and if we can break enemy communications and ciphers, the better we can plan."

Edit: Guess I was a little too late.

"Man there really is nothing out here. At least we have plenty of room to expand I suppose. Doesn't seem very defensible, not that we plan to fight here."

Damanation fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 25, 2018

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Grunn

'Well this place reminds of "home". Flat, wet and full of flies.'

Answering to Glaedwine;
'Well if needed we can make some defences ourself.'

Grunn is trying to look at the landscape and see if it can turn into a swamp

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Reginald
Puffing his pipe, Reginald looks over the marshy land he has purchased. Not too bad, given most land around Detroit had long been purchased and developed. He'll need to contact some people experienced with building on swampland to start development and it definitely meant no underground storage or entrenchments. Munition bunkers, runways, hangers etc will be the primary cost of building but it still depended on what form their airforce would take. Close air support with their experienced soldiers acting as FAC seemed most likely at the moment. He needed to run through some catalogs and decide on what to buy. P-47s most likely.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Base Purchases

It's time for the first of three purchasing phases before we get into missions! How this works will be similar to how Yooper's Strike Command LP works: you create a package of purchases that you think is the right idea, discussing amongst yourselves to figure out the best way forward. Once we get a good array of suggestions, the packages will be put up for vote and whichever gets the most votes wins. Troop and equipment purchases will follow the same procedure.

You begin with $999,900 (yes, you really did spot Jack that hundred bucks!) and 100 units of land. Because you didn't pick a starting nation with any bonuses or detriments regarding land, you get the base amount of land and base prices for everything. You begin with a free Officers' Quarters that serves as housing for your current unit of player characters and your basic office and planning space; this building has a monthly cost, but it doesn't cost anything from your land or starting budget.

You don't need to worry about munitions storage. I'll go over it more in the equipment category, but every weapon and vehicle has a deployment cost that represents a full load of ammo, fuel, and maintenance for that op.

Every building has three costs associated with it. The cost is how much it'll cost you right this second to erect the building (and hire staff if necessary). The monthly cost is how much the building will add to the expenses you pay at the end of the month, representing basic upkeep and payment of any hired staff if the building comes with it. The size is how many units of land the building takes up. You don't have to worry about exact placement, just that you can't exceed 100 units of space total. There may be opportunities to gain more land, but otherwise you'll need to demolish something to make space if you want to erect new structures that you don't have room for. Other building categories may also open up as you advance.

There are other attributes that some buildings may have. Weatherproof buildings get a bonus against taking any damage in the event of severe weather like tornadoes and hurricanes while vulnerable to weather buildings get a penalty (buildings without a specific rating have no bonus or penalty).

Along with base buildings, this category includes other amenities and logistics (such as ration purchases).

Officers' Quarters ($100 a month): A two-story wooden building made to former US Army standard. Has 12 personal quarters with a single bed in each, office space, and a small planning and map room. Capacity of 12 soldiers.

Barracks

Barracks are probably your most important buildings, as these are where your troops sleep at night. You cannot hire any soldiers beyond your maximum bed capacity. The Officers' Quarters that you start with already has sufficient beds for your unit unless more player characters come on board, so you'll only need to build barracks for upcoming troops.

Pup Tent (1 unit per 4 tents, $50, no monthly cost): A simple triangular tent made of two shelter halves. The only door is a flap, it’s barely big enough to sit up straight in, you have sleeping bags instead of real beds, and you’re totally exposed to the elements. The only advantage is that it’s cheap. Capacity of 2 soldiers. -2 Morale to units housed inside.

Nissen Hut (1 unit, $6000, $10 a month): A lightweight prefabricated structure of galvanized steel in a semicircular shape. The design originated in World War I and both surplus huts and newly manufactured ones are cheaply available as housing and offices. The curved wall limits usable space and there’s no insulation, making the buildings sweltering in the summer and freezing in the winter. Capacity of 6 soldiers. -1 Morale to units housed inside.

Dymaxion Deployment Unit (1 unit, $12,000, $15 a month): A prefabricated aluminum structure meant for both civilian and military housing. The circular structure allows for a large number of troops arranged in a relatively small space, while insulation provides more comfortable living environment. Capacity of 6 soldiers.

Dymaxion Deployment Unit for Officers (1 unit, $25,000, $30 a month): A Dymaxion Deployment Unit intended to serve as a civilian home or personal quarters for an officer. It comes from the factory simply furnished with a bed, reading chair, desk, two filing cabinets, a padlocked chest and cabinet set for storing personal items, and a bathroom with a toilet and shower hooked to an outdoor water tank. The owner can furnish it as they see fit, preferably at their own expense. Capacity of 1 soldier. +1 Morale to soldier housed inside.

Quonset Hut (2 units, $17,000, $20 a month): A lightweight prefabricated structure of galvanized steel in a semicircular shape, about twice the size of a Nissen Hut. Hundreds of thousands of these huts were manufactured during World War II for quickly constructing bases and are still available to be commissioned by private military companies. The interior is insulated and the exterior is rust-resistant, allowing for use as barracks, latrines, or office buildings. Capacity of 15 soldiers.

Jamesway Hut (2 units, $20,000, $25 a month): Jamesway Huts are specialized structures designed as portable shelters for long-term arctic settlements. They resemble other semicircular huts like the Quonset Hut and Nissen Hut, but with a skin of muslin and glass fiber insulated blankets stretched over wooden ribs with an insulated plywood/fiberglass floor. The buildings are heavily insulated and fireproof and the roof can withstand snowfall, but the thin fabric skin is vulnerable to tearing. Capacity of 15 soldiers. +1 Morale when used in cold weather. Vulnerable to weather.

Hopper Hut (2 units, $20,000, $10 a month): A squat brick structure based on the accommodations built on English hop farms for itinerant workers. While more expensive per bed when first built and lacking insulation to keep it comfortable, the structure has lower maintenance requirements than prefabricated metal structures and handles the weather better. Capacity of 10 soldiers. Weatherproof. -1 Morale to units housed inside.

Slab Hut (1 unit, $500, $5 a month): Slab huts are simple shacks made of wood planks and corrugated metal with a rough finish. They have no insulation and the windows are just holes in the wall with hinged coverings, but they’re extremely cheap to produce by chopping down trees. They include a small hearth for warmth, though there’s not enough room for more than a personal mess kit for cooking. Capacity of 10 soldiers. Vulnerable to weather. -1 Morale to units housed inside.

Tarpaper Barracks (2 units, $20,000, $15 a month): Tarpaper barracks are quickly assembled structures made of plywood with tarpaper covering the walls to provide insulation, situated on very short stilts to keep them off the ground in case of flooding. Similar buildings were constructed for domestic garrisons and Japanese-American internment camps during the war. They’re not very comfortable and smell distinctly of wood, but they provide slightly more space than prefabricated structures. Capacity of 20 soldiers.

Two-Story Barracks (Small) (6 units, $170,000, $75 a month): A two-story wood and concrete structure that provides bunk bed lodging in four open barracks and a small lavatory with sewage or septic hookup and running water. These structures are built to a wartime standard (rectangular, gabled roof, overhang over the first floor, and exterior stairs). It provides more comfort than a prefabricated structure, though the large open rooms totally eliminate privacy. Capacity of 120 soldiers. Weatherproof.

Two-Story Barracks (Large) (12 units, $210,000, $100 a month): A two-story wood and concrete structure that provides bunk bed lodging in three open barracks, a mess hall, and a large lavatory with sewage or septic hookup and running water. It shares the basic design of the smaller two-story barracks building but is expanded to hold more soldiers and include feeding capability. Capacity of 200 soldiers. Feeding capacity of 200 soldiers. Weatherproof.

Vehicle Structures

Note that these are not mandatory to keep vehicles in! You can have vehicles parked outside (or boats left anchored or tied to a tree or something) if you don't have specific structures to house them in. You also don't require these buildings to perform maintenance. However, leaving vehicles outside makes them vulnerable to inclement weather, theft and sabotage, or any other events that may occur to a tank parked outside the barracks.

Garage (Small) (2 units, $150,000, $300 a month): A small semicircular brick building with a garage door, suitable for holding one or two smaller vehicles like Jeeps and the tools and materials needed to maintain them. Capacity of 2 vehicles. +1 to Maintenance checks.

Garage (Large) (4 units, $300,000, $500 a month): A large, prefabricated structure of galvanized steel in a semicircular shape with a large garage door. This garage is big enough to hold up to two tanks or similar armored vehicles and all of the tools and materials needed to maintain them. Capacity of 4 vehicles. +2 to Maintenance checks.

Vehicle Warehouse (20 units, $300,000, $450 a month): A simple warehouse with a garage door for holding vehicles. The building is climate-controlled to keep the vehicles from deteriorating, but it has no maintenance facilities or storage space. Aircraft can be kept in here in an emergency, with their wings detached or folded. Capacity of 20 vehicles.

Hangar (20 units, $400,000, $600 a month): A large building for holding aircraft and conducting maintenance on them. Along with storing aircraft, it includes maintenance facilities for maintaining, refitting, refueling, and reloading the aircraft inside. Capacity of 3 small aircraft or 1 bomber/transport. +2 to Maintenance checks.

Dirt Runway (30 units, $100,000, $40 a month): A simple dirt strip 1000 yards long, smoothed out as best as possible to create an improvised runway. Only lighter aircraft capable of handling such rugged runways should be used, and aircraft that require long takeoff or landing rolls (especially heavy ones like bombers) are at risk of crashing when using the runway.

Runway (30 units, $4,500,000, $700 a month): A proper 1500-yard runway made of smooth concrete with paved taxiways leading back to the parking spaces. Any aircraft can handle these runways, no matter their size.

Boathouse (6 units, $75,000, $800 a month): A typical boathouse for storing a single vessel out of the elements, with tools and materials for basic repair. Can only be built on the water. +1 to Maintenance checks. Capacity of 1 boat.

Dock (20 units, $7,2000,000, $8000 a month): A large concrete dock facility with workshops and berths for holding large vessels, including limited space for capital ships if you ever get your hands on one. Can only be built on the water. +2 to Maintenance checks. Capacity of 30 boats.

Admin Structures

The most important admin structure here is the mess hall. You need to have a feeding capacity at least equal to how many soldiers you've recruited. Soldiers without a mess hall still get to eat, but suffer -1 Morale from being forced to eat canned food cooked over a fire in their mess tins.

Mess Hall (Small) (3 units, $60,000, $150 a month): A long, rectangular wooden structure on short stilts to prevent flooding. Includes a small kitchen and long tables with benches for soldiers to eat at. Feeding capacity of 100 soldiers.

Mess Hall (Large) (6 units, $120,000, $400 a month): A large cinderblock mess hall with a huge kitchen, plenty of seating, and a lavatory. The conditions are still the same, but having a proper toilet with plumbing helps. Feeding capacity of 200 soldiers. Weatherproof.

Infirmary (4 units, $100,000, $400 a month): A rebuilt Quonset Hut with a trained staff of doctors and surgeons. Along with helping wounded mercs returning from battle, they provide regular medical care for the usual illnesses, bumps, bruises, and hangovers that plague soldiers during their down time. +1 to medical-related checks when healing. +1 Morale.

Office (4 units, $70,000, $3000 a month): A small wooden office building that comes with its own clerical staff of bookkeepers, secretaries, and assistants. They perform all the hard work to let you stick to what you do best, including finding you better deals. Decreases purchase costs by 25% after construction.

Command Center (6 units, $400,000, $8000 a month): A two-story brick office building with extensive radio and telegraph equipment, paid staff, a map room, and a large backlit battle board for placing an operation map and markers to determine plans of attack and resources on the field. The command center maintains contact with mercenary units in the field and coordinates information flow to and from the main base, ensuring that everyone has the necessary information to succeed. +4 on all rolls to determine success of mercenary operations.

Training Structures

Training is a vital part of becoming a better soldier. Without modifiers, it takes 200 hours of practice to put 1 point into a skill. Proper training facilities can speed up training, while you can always train by yourself without a facility at the cost of a slower pace.

Outdoor Firing Range (5 units, $3000, $100 a month): A simple outdoor range with a dirt berm at 100 yards, a stock of paper targets, and a wooden overhang with cleared dirt shooting positions. Gives soldiers a place to train that isn’t just balancing empty ration cans on a fence post. +1 to Guns skill for all hired mercs. Player character training time for Guns skill reduced by 25%.

Indoor Firing Range (5 units, $20,000, $300 a month): An indoor concrete range with individual booths, a ventilation system, adjustable light levels, and target hangers on a mechanical track. Much more comfortable than the outdoor range, though also much louder. +2 to Guns skill for all hired mercs. Player character training time for Guns skill reduced by 50%.

Kill House (6 units, $80,000, $400 a month): A large concrete warehouse with a supply of plywood walls and stairs that can be assembled into various configurations, along with paper enemy and hostage targets. The kill house can be set up in almost any possible configuration, from testing specific skills to rehearsing strikes on a target with a known layout. +2 to Guns skill for all hired mercs. Player character training time for Guns skill reduced by 75%.

Morale Structures
Officer’s Club (3 units, $200,000, $500 a month): A concrete and stucco building used as a private mess and relaxation area for the mercenary organization’s officers. None of the enlisted men are allowed in, creating a sense of separation between the officers and the mercenaries they lead. The building is decorated with tile floors, a bar (with alcohol if allowed on base), more comfortable tables and chairs for less of a “mess hall experience”, and a radio playing local music and news. Feeding capacity of 30 player characters. +1 Morale to player characters only.

Chapel (3 units, $70,000, $200 a month): A simple wooden chapel, large enough to provide services to every soldier who may need it. While it resembles a typical Christian church, any denomination’s priests are welcome to perform services inside. +1 Morale.

Movie Theatre (2 units, $90,000, $500 a month): A long wooden building with folding chairs, a screen, a projector, and a closet full of film reels. Gives soldiers a change to relax by watching recent movie releases out of West California, newsreels, and cartoons. +1 Morale.

Sauna (1 unit, $120,000, $300 a month): A traditional Scandinavian sauna building where soldiers can strip down and sweat out their worries. +1 Morale.

Logistics

These are all monthly costs per person. Rations are the only one of these that are mandatory, since you obviously wouldn't have an army if you didn't feed them. There may be further opportunities for morale-boosting resources later down the line.

Poor Rations ($50 per person per month): Canned and dried food cooked up and served on a metal plate or in a soldier’s mess tin. Cheap and filling, but the taste ranges from boring to disgusting depending on the skill of chef and brand of food. -1 Morale.

Average Rations ($100 per person per month): Simple, belly-filling foods made from a mixture of canned, frozen, and fresh goods. The menu reflects typical Midwest American foods like pot pie, hash, baked chicken, and stews. No Morale change.

Gourmet Rations ($300 per person per month): Rations made from high-quality ingredients to restaurant standards, incorporating different world cuisines and accommodating for dietary restrictions. +1 Morale.

Alcohol Allowance ($200 per person per month): A stock of beer, wine, and hard liquor is kept and drinking is allowed on base (within reason). It’ll help the soldiers wind down and have a good time, but it might also cause disciplinary issues. +1 Morale. Random disciplinary problems.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 25, 2018

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Are the prices for the real runway and the full dock supposed to be that high? I guess they will have to be pipedreams for the moment since they cost more than our entire budget currently.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Grunn

My suggestion would be to build the large barracks, best bang for the buck, and it saves money for not having to buy a mess.
Maybe the large or small garage? It sounds like my kind of thing. But deffinitly the large barracks.
What for the rest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

“My god. All we need is some sheep and it would be just like home. Wet boots and everything!”

Surveying the land, Rupert is quick to offer some suggestions.

“I think due to the costs involved, a full hanger or garage is out of the question. We have enough men and women handy with a socket wrench that for our initial forays into the field some good old fashioned elbow grease should be sufficient. A proper runway is out of the question as well, but at least that makes our plane purchases a little bit easier to make!”

“Two Quonset Huts should be sufficient for soldier habitation; we're not going to go hog wild on hiring until we earn a bit of a reputation and contracts start coming a bit quicker."

"A Small Mess Hall gives us everything we need plus some room to grow slowly. Gourmet Rations are non-negotiable for me!"

"An Infirmary is a must, as far away as we are from a large scale hospital. It makes sense to have an Office set up early as well. When it comes to training structures a Kill House is cheap and effective so I don't see the point ins starting any smaller then that. Finally, I'm torn between the Theater and the Sauna. I simply can't decide.”

quote:

Ruperts Plan:
Two Quonset Hut $34000
Dirt Runway $100000
Office $70000
Infirmary $100000
Mess Hall Small $120000
Kill House $80000
Sauna $120000 or Theatre $90000.

$504000 not including the Theatre or Sauna. Theatre keeps it under $600000.

This is around 47 Base Units, again not counting the Theatre or Sauna.

Plus Gourmet Rations.

• Locked thread