Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Clip is fantastic. New sonic is...weird. But whatever, that hardly matters much, because the clip was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

That's the Doctor alright!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope the clip stays up until I get home.

Not really digging the new sonic, it's a little too 90's Nickelodeon Aggro Crag.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What about the Daleks?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I showed the picture of the sonic to my wife, and she replied, "That's a dildo." Which...I guess the sonic has always been vaguely like that, but yeah.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Clip seems fine, whatever. Doesn't seem too far from something Moffat would write. I scoffed at "the sonic is awful" because how bad could it possibly look, and then I loaded up the picture of the sonic and... ah

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where are the Dalek pics?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

Where are the Dalek pics?

If I find them I'll post them. Full trailer was out there earlier.

This is all from BBC Worldwide again. You've got to wonder what the gently caress is going on over there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Sonic looks dreadful. Clip is great. Hmm, two police companions?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Forgetting identity and looking for the Doctor is a great hook for post-regeneration episode.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Man, that has me excited. Within a couple of sentences you can clearly tell that yes, this is the Doctor.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Don't tell me they didn't design the new sonic to look like a vibrator.

Ya sure, they all sort of maybe resembled vibrators but this one, well, Geronimo.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I hope new Dalek design means just a slight refresh like the classic to RTD era transition. I mean, it's an incredibly dated design and yes, it's not scary in the slightest, but I don't think I could see the Daleks as Daleks if they didn't look like saltshakers at this point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like it if we could have a slightly modern design with the classic's intention- that being the different classes of Daleks have different colors and markings. It makes them feel like an actual species and not just Random Monsters

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They did that with the Paradigm Daleks

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

They did that with the Paradigm Daleks

I mean, that's what they tried to do

But those things flopped so hard that we only got, what, one of them back again? And massively recolored to boot.

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Still time to get the ILM (?) Spider-Daleks

trouser_mouse fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 25, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like it if they brought back the designs of the Amicus Films (Dalekmania) Daleks, fire extinguishers and all.

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Hopefully we get the Pharleks, from that often overlooked Steven Moffat gem Doctor Loo and the Pharleks

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AndyElusive posted:

Don't tell me they didn't design the new sonic to look like a vibrator.

Ya sure, they all sort of maybe resembled vibrators but this one, well, Geronimo.

thrawn527 posted:

I showed the picture of the sonic to my wife, and she replied, "That's a dildo." Which...I guess the sonic has always been vaguely like that, but yeah.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who immediately thought, "that's a vibe" when I saw the new sonic. Though I didn't care too much for Capaldi's sonic either.

The clip was the business though so there's that at least

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The clip was good, though we'll obviously need to see more beyond the post regeneration weirdness to really get a feel for her Doctor overall.

I really want a trailer so we can see the new outfit in motion. I already like the look of it but I'd really like to see it in more than just photos

And how good is that accent :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m intrigued by new Daleks. Who’s seen them?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Loving the accent, which I think is Jodie's natural one right?

tuuuunGUH

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

She's got the Doctor down already and I'm loving the accent. Clip was good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

I’m intrigued by new Daleks. Who’s seen them?

The full trailer was very briefly on Twitter. So far all that's survived is the shots of the sonic.

I've not seen the full thing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Not sure how I feel about the sonic, but it is different, which could be good. I'm a traditionalist with most things (ASK me about my Hot Takes on ENT and DISCO snd continuity of uniforms in the Trek thread) but I don't mind seeing some small things shaken up.

Love the goggles when she's in Work-Mode. :allears:

Between that and the clip there's nothing yet so far to indicate that she and Chibnall don't Get It, which is a helluva lot more than I could say at this point in DISCO leaks a few years ago...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya that clip was the tits (no pun intended) and was without a doubt, the Doctor.

Any question that she'd be able to handle the role should be squashed completely flat. Like, Boneless flat.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Those are her companions right?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

Love the goggles when she's in Work-Mode. :allears:

Yeah, people are going to call that gimmicky or an easy laugh, but I would like to say right now, on this day, that I register my full support for the goggles, and I hope she wears them often.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shneak posted:

Those are her companions right?

Two cops? Way to read the room, Chibnall

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
oh my god yes, today was so great, just getting a little bit. So starved for any news for a whole two month stretch! and then an actual clip!

takeaways:
1. The Doctor has mild amnesia, probably post-regeneration related
2. Yasmin is a police officer! this is brand new information!
3. Ryan is not a doctor, but he's not wearing a police uniform like Yasmin, so I don't actually think he's a cop.
4. Whittaker is going to generate so many great reaction gifs.
5. This scene takes place 10 minutes into the episode! There's a timestamp on the footage. I actually expected the Doctor would meet Bradley Walsh's character first, but no, it seems she meets Ryan and Yasmin first.
6. Her reaction to learning she's a woman is "Does it suit me?" perfect.
7. She's already nailing "old man in a woman's body" with everything after "tongue".

also the pictures of her with the goggles are fantastic.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Any luck on images of the new Dalek design?

I went to Gallifreybase for the first time in a very long time to see if they were posted there - and instead of the reaction being "oh wow, Jodie's a delight, she's going to be amazing", their thread was full of fascinatingly brain-broken complaints such as:

- This confirms that a woman lacks the gravitas to play The Doctor
- All she's doing is a Tennant impersonation
- Chibnall is trying too hard to sound like Moffat
- Chibnall is trying too hard to sound like RTD
- It's too dark
- It's not dark enough
- I can't understand a single word that The Doctor or Yasmin says because they have funny accents

:psyduck:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I was on a different forum, and once I got past the numerous "The show is ruined" posts, once particular hot take I saw was that she shouldn't have been cast because Chibs had worked with her before, and that the BBC should've have made him cast someone else.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I was on a different forum, and once I got past the numerous "The show is ruined" posts, once particular hot take I saw was that she shouldn't have been cast because Chibs had worked with her before, and that the BBC should've have made him cast someone else.

By that logic, neither Eccles not Tennant...?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Davros1 posted:

Douglas Camfield liked to re-use many of the same actors for his episodes, I'm sure they wouldn't complain about him doing that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

By that logic, neither Eccles not Tennant...?

To them, Tom was the last good Doctor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Davros1 posted:

That rule would destroy the British TV industry.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New composer confirmed!

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1011716742907879425

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Oh cool curious to hear the theme!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I dig the little volcano theme he has in his pinned tweet.