Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does the Catalyst series not count as business, or am I misunderstanding? This is going to be in the basement underneath the stairs so noise isn't really a big concern. Were you saying that I'm not going to find anything comparable in the consumer grade realm?

I finally found at least one of the cables that goes to the office, so now I'm getting a surprisingly high speed through an N-band router. Got a speedtest of 936mbps down and 945mbps up through a WDR-3600. Presumably it couldn't do both at once, but I was expecting it to cap out at about 800 total throughput, so even that's a bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Be aware that the old Catalyst draws 160W of power where a more modern managed gigabit switch will be in the 20s.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh, that could add up really fast, although it depends on how much it's actually using at a given time. I assume it's not 160w 24/7, but computers are being used like 12-16 hours a day in the house, so that's still not great. Maybe I should stick with finding a smaller non-managed switch for cheap. This thing would be like $20 at most, probably less. That's why I was interested in it. Between the Edgerouter Lite for $50 and the switch for $20 that's everything for $70 (plus mounting the switch)

edit: Oh, apparently switches are much cheaper than I thought.

Given that I'm just dealing with a house and not a business environment, is there a point to getting a managed switch when I can just do QoS / Vlans / what the gently caress ever else on the router? I feel like I might as well just pick up one of the unmanaged switches in the OP, since even if I want to do QoS or Vlaning I have three ports on an Edgerouter Lite, which means two not being used by the switch. That should be plenty for my use case. From what I'm reading, throughput on a switch isn't nearly as much of an issue as it is on a router, right? Do I need to be looking at the throughput specs on basic unmanaged level 2 switches?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 23, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh, that could add up really fast, although it depends on how much it's actually using at a given time. I assume it's not 160w 24/7, but computers are being used like 12-16 hours a day in the house, so that's still not great. Maybe I should stick with finding a smaller non-managed switch for cheap. This thing would be like $20 at most, probably less. That's why I was interested in it. Between the Edgerouter Lite for $50 and the switch for $20 that's everything for $70 (plus mounting the switch)

edit: Oh, apparently switches are much cheaper than I thought.

Given that I'm just dealing with a house and not a business environment, is there a point to getting a managed switch when I can just do QoS / Vlans / what the gently caress ever else on the router? I feel like I might as well just pick up one of the unmanaged switches in the OP, since even if I want to do QoS or Vlaning I have three ports on an Edgerouter Lite, which means two not being used by the switch. That should be plenty for my use case. From what I'm reading, throughput on a switch isn't nearly as much of an issue as it is on a router, right? Do I need to be looking at the throughput specs on basic unmanaged level 2 switches?

I don't think a managed switch is useful in a house unless you want to tinker with it or have some specific goals in mind that require that kind of functionality. You can also home lab virtual switches if you want to learn stuff. I have TP-Link and Trendnet unmanaged switches for most of my stuff and they've been fine. I also have an old dell powerconnect 24 port managed switch but I never got around to using any of the functionality it would give me beyond basic switching and the 40mm fans were annoying as hell. I did do a little electronics project to build a PWM fan controller to quiet them down, but they're still louder than the completely silent unmanaged switch I replaced it with.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

22 Eargesplitten posted:

HP DL380 G4 (8gb RAM)

good loving god, no

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does the Catalyst series not count as business, or am I misunderstanding? This is going to be in the basement underneath the stairs so noise isn't really a big concern. Were you saying that I'm not going to find anything comparable in the consumer grade realm?

I finally found at least one of the cables that goes to the office, so now I'm getting a surprisingly high speed through an N-band router. Got a speedtest of 936mbps down and 945mbps up through a WDR-3600. Presumably it couldn't do both at once, but I was expecting it to cap out at about 800 total throughput, so even that's a bump.

If you have use for a 24 port gigabit switch, consumer grade switches tend to be overpriced junk. Business switches like Cisco Catalyst will be overkill but like Ants says, it'll also be power hungry. Even newer gigabit switches use less power for the same functionality just because they're newer more modern chips.

If you don't need 24 ports then 16-port consumer unmanaged gigabit switches like TP-Link or Netgear are just fine.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I close on the new place in a month and power draw is at the top of my list of things to look for when buying equipment. It adds up over the month.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So I didn't like the results of my power line adapter project, so I returned them and got a discounted Orbi Mini 2 pack. The thing I had was dropping out a lot and my devices would get stuck between the two APs.

I think this has been a much better solution for me, with overall better stability around the house. It's not true "mesh" but I only needed better connectivity on one end of my house, and it has been nice to have the newer bands, so the Orbi kit worked beautifully.

One question; is there a preferred DNS set that you guys like? Are the big easy DNSs like Cloudflare or Google "bad"? How do y'all feel about ad blocking DNSs like AdGuard?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 24, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty happy with my Pi-Hole. Nice interface, low power, cheap. It uses the google DNS, but I suppose I could use the cloudflare one or whatever. I can get away from using adblockers on my systems here, and it extends to my phones via wi-fi which is nice.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KKKLIP ART posted:

So on a purely academic hypothetical, if I wanted to run single mode fiber around my place, what kind of equipment would I need re: switches, adapters, NICs

A point to point link will just require a couple of media converters, a more complex design will require switches with sfp(up to 1gbps speeds) or sfp+(up to 10gbps speeds). Unless you plan to buy 10g nics there is no need for new cards.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Any recommendations for DNSs that don't use your data?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

Run your own resolver in your network and only configure root hints so it doesn't forward your queries to a third party. DNS is unencrypted so your ISP can still see what you're looking up, but you can at least enforce DNSSEC so they can't intercept and override NXDOMAINs. I like the unbound resolver, and you can stick Pi-Hole in front of it for network-level ad blocking. The downside is the latency hit since you don't get to take advantage of the big hot caches from e.g. Google or Cloudflare.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

DNS over HTTPS does actually work.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So after looking, Infiniband looks like an intriguing <1Gbps networking solution and some of the gear seems really cheap

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Steakandchips posted:

CrazyLittle posted:

imho:
1) use your ISP's DNS since it's probably closer to you / less hops and therefore faster at resolving names
2) use google, cloudflare or openDNS, whichever is the least hops away (verify with traceroute)
3) use a dns benchmarking tool to check both round trip latency and actual resolution time to figure out who's the fastest dns server and use the fastest public server in your results.
4) gently caress property and gently caress service providers, they didn't lock it down so I'm gonna use the fastest DNS server that isn't locking me out.

True story - using anycast DNS servers can sometimes send you to servers that are totally out of your region. I've had customers who got redirected halfway across the country because Google DNS had the wrong geo-IP data for their address, and therefore thought they were 1000's of miles away from their real physical space. This meant that regional info was wrong, and overall latency was bad since all the data was backhauling across the country.

There's a whole bunch of posts about this a few pages back. You can follow that discussion starting here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319&pagenumber=365&perpage=40#post482772522

As for privacy-focused DNS, Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 and quad-9's 9.9.9.9 are probably your most "honest" options.

SamDabbers posted:

Run your own resolver in your network and only configure root hints so it doesn't forward your queries to a third party. DNS is unencrypted so your ISP can still see what you're looking up, but you can at least enforce DNSSEC so they can't intercept and override NXDOMAINs. I like the unbound resolver, and you can stick Pi-Hole in front of it for network-level ad blocking. The downside is the latency hit since you don't get to take advantage of the big hot caches from e.g. Google or Cloudflare.

CrazyLittle posted:

The "dumb" idea is this idea: "Don't use a forward DNS server - just ask the root hint servers for all DNS queries."

1) You're not an ISP so you won't leverage the economies of scale.
2) Root lookups don't resolve full domain names - only root servers, which then delegate to domain servers who handle host responses.*
3) You'll rarely get a cached response unless it's locally cached so prepare to waste several minutes per day (in aggregate) waiting for websites and everything else to get a DNS response before it even establishes a connection.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 24, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Evis posted:

DNS over HTTPS does actually work.
It's also several orders of magnitude slower, so you better run a very generous DNS cache.

KKKLIP ART posted:

So after looking, Infiniband looks like an intriguing <1Gbps networking solution and some of the gear seems really cheap

.... No.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I forgot to mention that just making DNS requests hidden wont hide which servers you’re talking to from your ISP. Server name indication https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication is used all over the place. I’d bet you can do some instrumentation on IP addresses to get a pretty good idea of which sites you’re visiting even if they couldn’t see the host name at all.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

It's also several orders of magnitude slower, so you better run a very generous DNS cache.

.... No.

That bad :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So my parent's router died this weekend. Right now I've got them limping along on an old Linksys I had left over from work, but so far the wireless has died again and the management IP is giving me a HTTP 500 error so I don't trust it to last very much longer.

What's the best offering for a router if their main focus is WiFi range/quality? Is there something that comes bundled together or would I be looking at something like an Edgerouter X + Ubiquiti Unifi AC Lite? I had them running DD-WRT for a good 5 or 6 years prior so I'm pretty comfortable flashing firmware, would the T-Mobile (AC-1900) By ASUS still be a good all-in-one option?

edit: re-reading the OP, it also sounds like the Archer C5/7/9 could work as well. I doubt we'll ever have enough traffic to saturate the C5 hardware, but is there any appreciable difference in wireless coverage between those 3?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 25, 2018

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
After setting up DNS over HTTPS I haven't noticed any difference in overall snappiness when browsing the web. I'm using dnscrypt-proxy running on my router which I think is setup so that it keeps a tunnel open rather than performing an SSL handshake each time it needs to make a request.

Not sure how to test it empirically, the proxy intercepts and redirects DNS traffic so I think it would skew any benchmarks trying to measure uncached DNS requests.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
My home network is a bunch of unmanaged switches in each room, connected through a Asus RT-N66U as the main router. The other day, I had an AV receiver initiate a firmware update via this wired connection, and the router poo poo the bed and dropped all connections. This was, uh, concerning as now I had an expensive receiver with an aborted firmware installation. I reset my WAN connection, the individual routers/access points, but couldn't get the router to assign IP addresses or do its thing, as long as the switch was connected.

Eventually I started connecting the various pieces one-by-one, and the router would work after a reset. I managed to isolate things, and the AV receiver's unmanaged switch was the culprit. Using the line to the router and bypassing the switch, the receiver was able to finish it's firmware installation (whew).

Is it possible that the switch just failed? I got it in January, used it a fair bit with 3-4 devices (Steam Link, Bluray player, Receiver, etc). Is what I'm describing a dead switch? Never had one fail before, and certainly not a relatively new one. I don't really want to take the time to test it, to be honest, because resetting the whole house is a goddamn pain in the rear end and the women begin to shriek and moan when streaming services are out.

Side note: I've had this RT-N66U for a long time now, is it possible that I'm overloading it? I don't have any real networking background, I just follow instructions and keep their firmware up to date.

frest fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 25, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Would a Nighthawk X8 make a good WAP? I found one for $40 on Craigslist.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would a Nighthawk X8 make a good WAP? I found one for $40 on Craigslist.

It's discontinued so the likelihood of software updates is low. With all the fun exploits showing up in the wild recently (Krackattack, VPNFilter, etc) I think it's worth $70-80 to have an access point that will get firmware updates like ubiquiti provides.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

frest posted:

My home network is a bunch of unmanaged switches in each room, connected through a Asus RT-N66U as the main router. The other day, I had an AV receiver initiate a firmware update via this wired connection, and the router poo poo the bed and dropped all connections. This was, uh, concerning as now I had an expensive receiver with an aborted firmware installation. I reset my WAN connection, the individual routers/access points, but couldn't get the router to assign IP addresses or do its thing, as long as the switch was connected.

Eventually I started connecting the various pieces one-by-one, and the router would work after a reset. I managed to isolate things, and the AV receiver's unmanaged switch was the culprit. Using the line to the router and bypassing the switch, the receiver was able to finish it's firmware installation (whew).

Is it possible that the switch just failed? I got it in January, used it a fair bit with 3-4 devices (Steam Link, Bluray player, Receiver, etc). Is what I'm describing a dead switch? Never had one fail before, and certainly not a relatively new one. I don't really want to take the time to test it, to be honest, because resetting the whole house is a goddamn pain in the rear end and the women begin to shriek and moan when streaming services are out.

Side note: I've had this RT-N66U for a long time now, is it possible that I'm overloading it? I don't have any real networking background, I just follow instructions and keep their firmware up to date.

RT-N6UU - (Est.) release date: 22 December 2011

Yes, you should get a new router.

That being said, the small unmanned switches are known for these types of issues and that is why most IT folks will be militant about not allowing them on their business networks. On the home use side, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, but in the business world most folks will pay whatever it takes to get new ports installed instead of using a small unmanned switch. Could have also been a cabling issue.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Internet Explorer posted:

RT-N6UU - (Est.) release date: 22 December 2011

Yes, you should get a new router.

That being said, the small unmanned switches are known for these types of issues and that is why most IT folks will be militant about not allowing them on their business networks. On the home use side, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, but in the business world most folks will pay whatever it takes to get new ports installed instead of using a small unmanned switch. Could have also been a cabling issue.

Fair enough, thank you.

With regards to cabling, I did all my runs and patch cables myself. I checked the various patch cables from the culprit switch and they're fine. The main runs themselves work fine. This particular run is probably the longest, but that being said "longest" is still less than 100 feet, I'm very fortunate to have a central utility corridor around the chimney to work with.

I guess I'll upgrade to one of the OP's options like a Ubiquiti and replace the problem switch with the Asus.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

ickna posted:

Anybody have AT&T’s gigabit fiber? I just had it installed last week and from what I was able to research before I had to leave town was that the ONT has to talk to their provided “modem”/router and simply plugging in the edgerouter x WAN to the ethernet on the ONT only works for like 15 minutes before it gets de-authed. Another post I saw had them cloning the mac address of the provided hardware but still had the AT&T box hanging off their switch. I was thinking about messing around with it some more when I get back next week, but for now it is just set up to DMZ to the ER-X with everything else behind that, and I turned off all the radios on their hardware.

I setup a USG behind the AT&T Arris modem last week. There is no bridge mode, instead their function is to set IP Passthrough with DHCPS-Fixed and manual WAN MAC of the USG. AT&T don't want you disabling their router, it has to be used. The USG just sees it as a WAN connection like normal. I did have to change USG to enable NAT for Plex service I'm running to register correctly.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Is there such a thing as an RJ45 to RJ45 patch connector that can be bolted into a media centre box? I recently got a new home, the media centre is not large enough to house USG, AT&T modem and Ubiquiti 8-port switch. I need to terminate the RJ45 cables from the house in the media centre and then add a longer patch cable to the switch. Any pointers to online products would be appreciated.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Re: AT&T Fiber.

There's a guy out there that figured out how to bypass the AT&T provided gateway, but it isn't easy. The gateway authenticates using 802.1x. I wouldn't recommend it. Turn off the wifi radios, put your own device in the DMZ mode and don't worry about it.

It's not worth the hassle unless you have the need to be full on neck beard. I had gigabit for years and the gateway was never an issue.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Rexxed posted:

It's discontinued so the likelihood of software updates is low. With all the fun exploits showing up in the wild recently (Krackattack, VPNFilter, etc) I think it's worth $70-80 to have an access point that will get firmware updates like ubiquiti provides.

I don’t have $70-80 to spend, but fair enough. I’ll try to find something newer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Decairn posted:

Is there such a thing as an RJ45 to RJ45 patch connector that can be bolted into a media centre box? I recently got a new home, the media centre is not large enough to house USG, AT&T modem and Ubiquiti 8-port switch. I need to terminate the RJ45 cables from the house in the media centre and then add a longer patch cable to the switch. Any pointers to online products would be appreciated.

Something like https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10514&cs_id=1051401&p_id=7304&seq=1&format=2

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don’t have $70-80 to spend, but fair enough. I’ll try to find something newer.

If you feel like learning some new stuff there's Mikrotik:
https://smile.amazon.com/MikroTik-Dual-concurrent-Access-Point-RB952Ui-5ac2nD-US/dp/B019PCF3QY/
https://smile.amazon.com/Mikrotik-RouterBoard-Lite-Tower-RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC/dp/B01NBN69XZ/

They're not really known for their wifi in the past they seem to have improved it on some more recent releases. Might need an immediate firmware update due to vpnfilter, even though I don't think it's listed as a vulnerable model a bunch of Mikrotik stuff seems to be vulnerable.

Also that model's only got 10/100 on the wired ports but if you're on a budget who needs more than 100 megabits over wireless anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I really don’t like the idea of a nominal 12.5 megabytes per second covering an entire 1000sqft floor when signal degradation and frequency congestion are such big things.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Opinion check: am I unreasonable in asking Ubiquiti for a prepaid shipping label to RMA a defective out of box EdgeSwitch? I can understand paying down the road for it but I bought it New in box from an authorized distributor and it’s an error (A12) that competent QC would have found.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If it's DOA, I'd try to go through the distributor and have them make it right. It's not unreasonable to expect shipping to be covered for a DOA item.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

skipdogg posted:

If it's DOA, I'd try to go through the distributor and have them make it right. It's not unreasonable to expect shipping to be covered for a DOA item.

Ah, good point — I’ll see what Ubiquiti says back, if they say no, I’ll check with B&H. I figure they’re incentivized / have the leverage to get $$$ back from Ubiquiti.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ship it back to wherever supplied it, no need to go through the usual RMA channels for DOA items

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agreed. DOA goes back to the seller.

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Had an old Asus AC66u that was constantly dropping out and giving poor performance. Read the OP and bought an EdgeRouter-X and UniFi AP-Lite. Wired network speed doubled and wirelss network speed tripled. Setup was straightforward, other than needing to change the default ports of the controller software as I already had a service on 8080. So, overall story is "thanks network magic thread"!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

They did an advanced RMA for me! I guess just asking nicely helps sometimes. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

Armacham posted:

So the problem with third party firmware on the c7 is that the hardware NAT translation doesn't work so it gets put into software,which does eat up a lot of CPU. For that reason I stuck with the stock firmware before I replaced mine.

This was from a few days ago but this explains it, thanks. Might just get a Ubiquiti Edgerouter and use the Archer C7 as an AP until I eventually get a Ubiquiti AP to go along with it. I'm assuming the C7 as an AP shouldn't have the same CPU-bound issues?