Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

KDavisJr posted:

There's a beta sprite sheet for Eirika that makes her look much better and I do believe she moves much better too.

Ehhhh. Beta Eirika kinda just... slaps things with her sword. It's flashier, but it doesn't look like it deals damage.

quote:

Someone made a sprite edit of her and someone here on this forum at least had that as their avatar.

I wonder who that could have been. It must have been some incredibly clever and good looking individual for sure.

That's a nice-rear end Franz. He generally turns out pretty good for me, so it's not a surprise, just... nice. He'd probably be at least as good as Seth if you promoted him the moment he hit 10 at this rate.

quote:

:stare: I... can't recall ever seeing Joshua's enemy palette.

This isn't like, a "I'm so good at this and he never gets to attack me" moment, more a "by the time I get here, animations are 100% off" one.

quote:

:cawg:

Also: quality Jeigan Moment™ there. :allears:

(I'd probably sell the book to buy more iron swords though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Chapter 5 is really the first map that feels like you're no longer in the tutorial, now have to think on your feet.

And yeah, the arena feels especially pointless in FE8 since you have limitless EXP, the game is already not that challenging, and you're never pinched for funds (we got 8000 gold in statboosters on this map if we wanted to sell them). Why risk a character's death to make the game even easier than it already is?

I was very grateful this chapter had an arena when I played through the ChinaFE romhack, but that game has enemies with multiple capped stats in its end-game maps, so it's not really comparable to regular Sacred Stones.:v:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, I love the implication (both in the recruitment conversation and elsewhere) that he cheated on the coinflip to let her win so that he wouldn't have to kill her.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
Fire Emblem 8 was my first foray into the Fire Emblem series, so I have fond memories of it. (Technically I experience FE7 first, but I didn't actually "play" it. I just watched a friend play it during recess) I've read the DS game play-throughs on the archive, and I'll be following along with this one.

I can't see Joshua without remembering an old Nintendo Forums thread, where his hat hid a screen over his eye, which he used to browse the web to break the 4th wall constantly.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

vilkacis posted:

[eirika beta sprite]

Wait...does she somehow start that swing one-handed but end it two-handed? How does that even work? :psyduck: All in all, it's probably for the better that Intsys went with her lunge-and-stab motion instead.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

bibliosabreur posted:

Wait...does she somehow start that swing one-handed but end it two-handed? How does that even work? :psyduck: All in all, it's probably for the better that Intsys went with her lunge-and-stab motion instead.

She starts the very beginning one-handed, but when the sword gets behind her, her other hand comes in to push the sword forward.

The bigger problem is that she's doing this with a rapier.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

This is why I am disappointed that none of the characters have unique sprites (except for ones in unique classes) in this game. He doesn't have his hat when he fights.

At least Heroes lets him have his hat. They even prevent him from having a different hat accessory, since that would get rid of his hat.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, it's hard to decide whose hat is better, Joshua or Freya's.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

This is why I am disappointed that none of the characters have unique sprites (except for ones in unique classes) in this game. He doesn't have his hat when he fights.

At least Heroes lets him have his hat. They even prevent him from having a different hat accessory, since that would get rid of his hat.

i like to think he takes it off before every battle so it doesn't get dirty, and then puts it back on as fast as he can so none of his friends see

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Beta Erika looks like she's from FE4—and that's not a compliment.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I always thought the beta Eirika sprite would have better fit a Sage, if Sages could use swords. There's just something about the stance with the cape that looks magelike to me, though some of it might also come from my having played the China FE hack back in the day (in which all of the playable female Sages had Eirika's colour palette).

I like the neutral stance a lot better on the beta version, personally, but the animation as a whole just looks a bit... off.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
She looks really stiff, compared to the poise and motion of her actual sprite. If anything, it reminds me of Roy's FE6 sprite.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

vilkacis posted:

That's a nice-rear end Franz. He generally turns out pretty good for me, so it's not a surprise, just... nice. He'd probably be at least as good as Seth if you promoted him the moment he hit 10 at this rate.

Behind the scenes note, I have a good friend who loves this game but has never had a good Franz, and just insists Franz is poo poo because of it.

I've messaged him every good Franz level at this point. :colbert: This is a Spite LP now. (He also hates Abel, I'm justified.)

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like to think he takes it off before every battle so it doesn't get dirty, and then puts it back on as fast as he can so none of his friends see

Thread Canon.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

bibliosabreur posted:

Wait...does she somehow start that swing one-handed but end it two-handed? How does that even work?

She... grabs it with the other hand before she hits someone with it? The beta sprite has issues, but I don't see that being one of them.

BlazeEmblem posted:

There's a mod for that!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Honestly, it's hard to decide whose hat is better, Joshua or Freya's.

I mean Joshua's hat is good

but it's not that good.

:colbert:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

vilkacis posted:

There's a mod for that!

Yeah, Joshua's hat is a meme on FEUniverse, so they made a bunch of joke animations and portraits of characters all wearing his hat. You can find transparent versions of it in full portrait, miniportrait and battle animation variants for all your contemporary FE meme needs.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
So yeah...this LP inspired me on a whim to do another FE8 playthrough for the first time in years.
I've played it enough that I went with Hard Mode, and still pretty much breezed through the game, except for chapter 6 (because I didn't remember where the reinforcements came from :argh:) but other than that, only a couple of maps made me reset but only in the case of optional stuff that was on a strict time limit and I couldn't remember how many turns I had to save a certain village or recruit certain characters.
There was even a case where I had to reset on a Turn Survival map because I killed the boss on the 4th turn and didn't remember that it would end the map early.

I basically spent most of the game thinking my team was very blessed in growths......until around chapter 10 when I checked SerenesForest and found that nearly ALL of them were actually behind in most of their stats :psyduck:
Franz was also my total MVP at that point and even he was actually behind in Skill and Speed.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the character stat growths in this game are very, very good and you really can't go wrong with pretty much anyone.
Thanks to this LP, this is actually the 1st playthrough out of the many I've done where I actually went with Moulder the Boulder instead of Natasha and I don't regret it :allears:

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 23, 2018

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Aha, I thought Joshua wouldn't attack her, but sometimes things from FE game start to flow together and such.

Joshua is slightly buffed in the NA version of this game! He has a whopping 5% boost to his strength growth. That's uh... something?

Natasha doesn't have any changes to her growths, but she's still rocking the Serra stat line and growth sets. She'll be a speedy, reasonably strong light magic user after promotion, but her skill is going to be quite low. Luckily, light magic is fairly accurate, so she'll be ok. I'm partial to the boulder over her, but she does get a few interesting supports with some strong people.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

vilkacis posted:

Ehhhh. Beta Eirika kinda just... slaps things with her sword. It's flashier, but it doesn't look like it deals damage.

Now that I think about it yea it's only kinda meh. If you combine the start up of her beta animation and the stab of the one in-game wouldn't that be better? Or instead of a full spin, it's a lunging slash?

Shiki Dan posted:

So yeah...this LP inspired me on a whim to do another FE8 playthrough for the first time in years.
I've played it enough that I went with Hard Mode, and still pretty much breezed through the game, except for chapter 6 (because I didn't remember where the reinforcements came from :argh:) but other than that, only a couple of maps made me reset but only in the case of optional stuff that was on a strict time limit and I couldn't remember how many turns I had to save a certain village or recruit certain characters.
There was even a case where I had to reset on a Turn Survival map because I killed the boss on the 4th turn and didn't remember that it would end the map early.

I basically spent most of the game thinking my team was very blessed in growths......until around chapter 10 when I checked SerenesForest and found that nearly ALL of them were actually behind in most of their stats :psyduck:
Franz was also my total MVP at that point and even he was actually behind in Skill and Speed.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the character stat growths in this game are very, very good and you really can't go wrong with pretty much anyone.
Thanks to this LP, this is actually the 1st playthrough out of the many I've done where I actually went with Moulder the Boulder instead of Natasha and I don't regret it :allears:

One of the reasons I believe this game is easier than other FE games aside from the infinite source of EXP, and visitable shops outside of chapters is the fact that since there are fewer units than normal, the percentage of units with good growths is higher. This leads to almost no wrong way to play this game. I mean Eirika's low strength doesn't matter as much as Lyn's, and despite having bad strength Growth, Ross is still a killing machine.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Myrmidons are my unit. Whether it's Guy, Joshua, Zihark, or whoever. Something about speedy units that are crit happy just lights my brain up even if they occasionally hit like a pillow feather.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

Myrmidons are my unit. Whether it's Guy, Joshua, Zihark, or whoever. Something about speedy units that are crit happy just lights my brain up even if they occasionally hit like a pillow feather.

Same, though I tend towards Mia instead of Zihark myself. Though that’s only because I love fielding as many women as possible and I like her design haha.

Crits are just so very satisfying even if they’re more RNG dependent than a dedicated Mercenary or sword lord.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Edward was my dude in RD. Even if he had the habit of blocking Axes with his face.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

KDavisJr posted:

One of the reasons I believe this game is easier than other FE games aside from the infinite source of EXP, and visitable shops outside of chapters is the fact that since there are fewer units than normal, the percentage of units with good growths is higher. This leads to almost no wrong way to play this game. I mean Eirika's low strength doesn't matter as much as Lyn's, and despite having bad strength Growth, Ross is still a killing machine.

Even more than that--my Eirika was absolutely terrible--prior to Promotion I had to feed her two Energy Rings and a Dragonshield just to keep her as a somewhat relevant frontliner and even then she was lagging behind in a lot of areas (-5 in Skill!) and then after her Promotion she became one of my best units even though she's still behind on her averages because Great Lord's stats gains are just that good, plus having a Pony, plus Rapier is an excellent weapon, not even to mention her Ultimate Weapon.
The game basically gives you insurance against Eirika ever being bad.

Also Amelia is basically untrainable in Hard Mode outside of grinding at the Tower of Valni.
I finally raised her up after Chapter 16, and she maxed Strength and Speed and has 21 Luck as a Level 16 Cavalier :psyduck:
I DID give her the Metis' Tome, but that's still way above average

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 24, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

For the record, I love the implication (both in the recruitment conversation and elsewhere) that he cheated on the coinflip to let her win so that he wouldn't have to kill her.
Wasn't this hinted more strongly somewhere else as well? Like in a support or something?

vilkacis posted:

It looks flashier, but I really like the more graceful and fencelike movements of current Eirika.

vilkacis posted:

I wonder who that could have been. It must have been some incredibly clever and good looking individual for sure.
Probably not, Fedules LP was on this forum. :v:

SonicRulez posted:

Them and thieves for me. I like speed and critting. In addition Radiant Dawn being my first Fire Emblem spoiled me by giving me likeable and useable Edward and Jeigan but still has utility Sothe.

hopeandjoy posted:

Same, though I tend towards Mia instead of Zihark myself. Though that’s only because I love fielding as many women as possible and I like her design haha.

Crits are just so very satisfying even if they’re more RNG dependent than a dedicated Mercenary or sword lord.

There are a lot of good female designs in old Fire Emblem and some in the newer Fire Emblems as well. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im going to go counter thread and say:
I love me some can openers.
Nothing like seeing a general on a throne, walking your fighter up to them and seeing DMG 20x2 on the combat forecast.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-PHONE!-

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 25, 2018

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Edward was my dude in RD. Even if he had the habit of blocking Axes with his face.

All the better to Wrath with.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

I feel like the Western FE community enjoys swordmasters way too much and has way too much bias against Axe users. Even in the GBA trilogy, where speed and dodging are king.
We even have people in this topic implying that Ross is a bad unit when he has to be absolutely speed screwed in order to be mediocre, since Berserker is such an amazing class.
Plus he's the only the trainee in the game that you get early enough to get to train practically without grinding encounters or side dungeons.

Yeah, pre-FE6 Axe units were total crap at worst and at best just kinda there, but FE6 has Gonzales who is amazing, FE7 has Hector who is awesome unless he gets totally speed screwed (and Dart who will never be speed screwed and gets some good supports to cover his lack of defense).

Joshua in this game is decent but really never be that great. He peaks in the mid-game, but his lack of strength is a real problem against beefy units that start showing up at the endgame. Being sword-locked is a real problem for any unit except for Eirika, and Joshua will never have a good time against any late-game lance enemy since the Lancereaver is kinda crappy.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

FE needs more Axe users period, Three Houses is off to a good start with Edelgard being a sword/axe user from the beginning

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shiki Dan posted:

I feel like the Western FE community enjoys swordmasters way too much and has way too much bias against Axe users.

I assume you're primarily talking about fighters/pirates. In which case it's less a western bias and more that IntSys doesn't really give us much to work with:

FE6: Gonzalez. That's it for viable axe users. Bartre is an awful prepromote. :lol: Ward and Lot.

FE7: The west loving adores Hector. He was probably the most popular male character in the FE community until Ike came along and was Hector but better. Also Dart is good and Geitz is considered one of the better prepromotes in the game. Once again though that's only three primary axe users who are good, and one is a late game prepromote. Bartre and Dorcas need a lot of speed luck or every speedwing you come across to be workable.

FE8: Ross is a hugely popular character to use even if he isn't actually as amazing as many seem to think stat-wise. Garcia is okay. The dude we haven't met yet is, like Geitz, a workable late game prepromote. Once again, only three primary axe users in the whole goddamn game.

FE9: Boyd is the only fighter you get. In the whole game. He's also a popular pick but even then very vulnerable to speed screwage. Unless you count Kieran you don't get another axe user until Largo right before the game is almost over, and he's at best a glass cannon and at worst pretty awful. Meanwhile the game vomits myrms at you like it's going out of style.

FE10: Even in the game with a cast so overflowing they needed like three concurrent plots to fit them all in, we get a whopping two fighters. Come on, IntSys. Nolan is a popular pick because a) he pretty much has to carry the DB on his back for the first few chapters of Part 1 and b) he's a swordmaster trapped inside a fighter's body based on his growths, so he's not going to get speed screwed. Boyd is kinda meh and absolutely will get speed screwed. Once again there are so many goddamn swordmasters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shiki Dan posted:

I feel like the Western FE community enjoys swordmasters way too much and has way too much bias against Axe users. Even in the GBA trilogy, where speed and dodging are king.
We even have people in this topic implying that Ross is a bad unit when he has to be absolutely speed screwed in order to be mediocre, since Berserker is such an amazing class.
Plus he's the only the trainee in the game that you get early enough to get to train practically without grinding encounters or side dungeons.

Yeah, pre-FE6 Axe units were total crap at worst and at best just kinda there, but FE6 has Gonzales who is amazing, FE7 has Hector who is awesome unless he gets totally speed screwed (and Dart who will never be speed screwed and gets some good supports to cover his lack of defense).

Joshua in this game is decent but really never be that great. He peaks in the mid-game, but his lack of strength is a real problem against beefy units that start showing up at the endgame. Being sword-locked is a real problem for any unit except for Eirika, and Joshua will never have a good time against any late-game lance enemy since the Lancereaver is kinda crappy.
1) ross is kind of a crap unit, his bases are bad and you have to devote the entire first third of the game to babying him if you want him to get anywhere. berserker's good but not that good, and you could give that much babying/help to just about anyone and have them turn out as well. garcia could be like, level 13 unpromoted by this point if you gave every kill ross got to him, and its not like ross's growths are better than his dad's. even with his 10 more levels to grow, if they're at the same level ross only has like 1-2 points more in each stat than garcia, including speed, and garcia actually has better hp and defense. ross is probably the worst dedicated axe user in this game.

joshua is fairly average but he's better than ross since he has enough speed to double basically everything in the game at least even at base, so he needs little favoritism to be able to contribute. also swordlock is mostly an issue due to lack of 1-2 range weapons, wta is super easy to overcome with raw stats in a game with enemies as weak as fe8, and there's only a couple maps where the game really throws a bunch of lance units at you.

2) axe units were probably better pre-fe6 than post-fe6, imo. dagda alone is probably top ten units in the series, and othin, halvan, lex, minerva, fe3 book 1 barst, all also exist and are among the best units in their game. post-fe6 you have gonzales who's decent, hector and dart who are also decent, one guy in this game whos very good but not quite a dedicated axe unit, titania who, okay yeah is amazing, boyd who's pretty good, nolan who's pretty good, and, uh, a couple of guys in fe12? a lot of later games are just really gunshy about giving you fighters at all for some reason, fe9 literally has four dedicated axe users, total, one of whom joins with only 4 maps left in the game. its pretty crazy.

not that any of this matters, especially in a game as easy as fe8, but its fun to argue about.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ross's Defense stat is actually higher on average than Garcia's - by 1 point at the same level, admittedly. Garcia beats Ross in HP, skill, con and beard; Ross has better everything else, especially luck, which should be about 10 points better by level 20 unpromoted.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Carlosologist posted:

FE needs more Axe users period, Three Houses is off to a good start with Edelgard being a sword/axe user from the beginning

There's plenty of axe users, they are just not Fighters which are not that great.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Also, Ross isn't that hard to train up. The early-game opposition are easy targets by and large, and the Hatchet lets him score ranged kills at low risk until he levels. Ewan's honestly the hardest one to train.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

To be fair, I'm only comparing Axe-locked units to Sword-locked units.
Kieran in FE9 is great, and Titania's very serviceable but they aren't locked to axes.
Axes have generally been great weapons, just the Axe units themselves seemed to be discriminated against.

Garcia is fine but he doesn't really compare to Ross.

Here are the average stats of both Ross and Garcia at Level 13 Fighter:

-----Ros/Gar
HP:32/35
Str:18/14
Skl:10/11
Speed:9/8
Luck:16/7
Defs:8/7
Res:5/2

Ross also has a far better Support chain, including Lute. He comes equipped with his own special weapon that mitigates his Trainee class' critical flaws (low con, low skill). He really doesn't take much time at all to get outside of his initial class since he comes in very early and at a very easy part of the game. He doesn't even take up an extra roster spot until Chapter 4.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 25, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nihilarian posted:

Ross's Defense stat is actually higher on average than Garcia's - by 1 point at the same level, admittedly. Garcia beats Ross in HP, skill, con and beard

Give him a few years (or a vilkacis edit, seeing what happened to Roy). I'm sure Ross can surpass his dad in the most important of stats eventually.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Endorph posted:

A unit functionally locked to range 1 is better than a dude with handaxe access.

Wat.

I think you're overselling the cost of getting Ross his first promotion. The super low level mooks on his first two maps aren't a huge exp loss short term and virtually don't exist in the long term.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hatchet is the only weapon worth using Hammerne on.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

The FE community generally seems to consider axes the best weapon type and swords the worst. Myrms tend to get poo poo on a lot for having no range and no strength and being inferior to mercs who deal better damage and promote to axes and thus 1-2 range. There just aren't a lot of good or interesting axe locked units, whereas the sword locked ones at least tend to have edgelord appeal.

quote:

I'm not implying anything, I will tell you straight up that trainees are absolute trash garbage and the only reason to use them is because it's fun and satisfying seeing them grow. Even then, mechanically, you'd be better served training up Franz who joins five minutes earlier and starts at a low level but runs circles around Ross from the word go. Or Vanessa.

Again, the right way to play FE is definitely to use the characters you happen to like, but... Ross is still quite bad.

Sydin posted:

Bartre is an awful prepromote.

Bartre comes with 20+ str and twice as much hp, Bartre is cool and good :colbert:

Shiki Dan posted:

Here are the average stats of both Ross and Garcia at Level 13 Fighter:

That comparison is kind of useless because in order to make Ross a level 13 fighter, you have to feed him 21 levels, and he's only getting noticeably more exp than Garcia for the first 10ish. Give Garcia the same amount of kills, and he's not just going to be a level 13 fighter.

quote:

He comes equipped with his own special weapon that mitigates his Trainee class' critical flaws (low con, low skill).

It's not a prf though, so you're quite free to give it to Garcia instead, for those moments when the handaxe isn't quite accurate enough.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Give him a few years (or a vilkacis edit, seeing what happened to Roy).

However, I refuse.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

vilkacis posted:

Bartre comes with 20+ str and twice as much hp, Bartre is cool and good :colbert:

10 speed :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
OK but if you don't use Ross, whose your Roszerker?

Checkmate :smuggo:

• Locked thread