Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mr Phillby posted:

It was never meant to be a simulation at all that's just where the concept came from my dude. Nobody's arguing there aren't hosed up implications or that nintendo haven't tried to mitigate said implications.

I'm not even sure what 'that would work' is in reference to? We're just giving you cultural context. You're perfectly welcome to your Pokemon=badger baiting hot takes.

'That would work' in the sense that it's connection to bug catching and fighting would be obvious then and there'd be little reason to criticize it, but it's not because expanding the pokemon far beyond bugs changes to connotations massively.

Roth posted:

The real laughable think about McIntosh's post on Pokemon is how he says it would be better if it was just collecting.

Which reads as him saying that buying exotic pets is totally cool and good.

This is a really bad attempt at an own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

khwarezm posted:

'That would work' in the sense that it's connection to bug catching and fighting would be obvious then and there'd be little reason to criticize it, but it's not because expanding the pokemon far beyond bugs changes to connotations massively.

please stop posting

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

khwarezm posted:

You spend too much time on this site

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Oh my god this argument is actually still going on

Please stop trying to be woker than thou

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

In summary,

Tired Moritz posted:

do you not understand the concept of metaphors

The answer was "no".

Speaking of Lindsay Ellis, I just watched her Rent video and I wish she would do something for Hamilton. I really liked the point that theater is a medium of the bourgeois and thus creates an inherent disconnect between it and themes of oppression/social upheaval as a result, and would like more thoughts about that.

Edit: Are there any good channels for food science?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK actually stop debating the pokemon bugfighting thing it isn't going anywhere

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it ethical to fuse demons in Shin Megami Tensei?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's an affront to god so yes

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

It's an affront to god so yes

Even if you're fusing to make an angel?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The thing I’ll always remember about Hamilton is the cast politely asking Pence not to trample their rights while framing the act as brave and politically transgressive because they did it during the show (because it transgressed decorum and standards of professionalism that emphasize the comfort of the audience).

The English theater was once so political it got shut down, then censored. And a writer of comedies was considered so politically dangerous that he was forbidden by act of parliament from writing any more plays and the plays of his successor at his theater had soldiers stationed on the stage ready to shoot the audience in case there was a riot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Roth posted:

The real laughable think about McIntosh's post on Pokemon is how he says it would be better if it was just collecting.

Which reads as him saying that buying exotic pets is totally cool and good.

he is a poo poo head, he just has an issue with conflict in general but collecting exotic animals is fun, if you know what your doing and its captive bred(and not from a whole sale site) i mean hell i am probably gonna buy a BT skink or a ackie Monitor. they are cool and relatively interactive. the problem i have with exotic animals is the poaching and that alot people just buy something like tegu on impulse and that leads to bad things when its 4 ft long and ill tempered.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

business hammocks posted:

The thing I’ll always remember about Hamilton is the cast politely asking Pence not to trample their rights while framing the act as brave and politically transgressive because they did it during the show (because it transgressed decorum and standards of professionalism that emphasize the comfort of the audience).

The English theater was once so political it got shut down, then censored. And a writer of comedies was considered so politically dangerous that he was forbidden by act of parliament from writing any more plays and the plays of his successor at his theater had soldiers stationed on the stage ready to shoot the audience in case there was a riot.

yeah, alot of Shakespeare plays are political as gently caress, though their are different interpretations on what Political ideas they are about.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 25, 2018

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
SuperBunnyHop made a youtube poop:
https://youtu.be/pHekNlNB0A0

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
LGR talking about the Seasons expansion for Sims 4

I might get this just for the Simlish covers of pop songs.

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 25, 2018

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I dunno what this is. But in an attempt to be more hipster I don't know wether to ask the same question of Monster Rancher or Jade Cocoon.

Here's Jim being cross at a game publisher. Quelle Surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbw0Te_RTg

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Leal posted:

LGR talking about the Seasons expansion for Sims 4

I might get this just for the Simlish covers of pop songs.

It seems like with Seasons that The Sims 4 is finally at a point where it can stand by itself as a competent entry alongside the other three.

Which is why it's super understandable at the end of the review when he says there's rumors of a few more years of Sims 4 expansions coming because I feel like going into a potential Sims 5 and starting all over again would be the worst idea possible.

The Sims seems like a series that would benefit from not trying to make a numbered entry start over from scratch(?) every time which means things like seasons and vampires and poo poo that's already available to put in your Sims 3 game will take anywhere from one to almost four years to appear in 4.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KayTee posted:

I dunno what this is. But in an attempt to be more hipster I don't know wether to ask the same question of Monster Rancher or Jade Cocoon.

Here's Jim being cross at a game publisher. Quelle Surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbw0Te_RTg

Shin Megami Tesnsei is an Atlus RPG series that's been going on since the NES (Just called Megami Tensei.) Originally based off a Japanese novel called Digital Devil Saga. They usually take place in modern day Tokyo after the apocalypse. You fight demons, but also can talk to them, and recruit them. To make stronger demons, you are encouraged to fuse them together. It's often described as "Satanic Pokemon." But unlike Pokemon, the demons are meant to be disposable and not party members you are supposed to get attached to. The demons also take inspiration from every major religious pantheon.

There's a boatload of sequels and spinoffs. The Person series is the most notable spinoff, more popular than SMT itself these days.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
But you don't know what Jade Cocoon is tho, right? :ohdear:

e:

VVV yay! VVV

KayTee fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 25, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did they explain why the gently caress they called it iiii. did they think the audience was too dumb to understand iv?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember the name being thrown around I think the N64/PS1 days but I never got around to playing it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

did they explain why the gently caress they called it iiii. did they think the audience was too dumb to understand iv?

maybe its a tally mark

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, alot of Shakespeare plays are political as gently caress, though their are different interpretations on what Political ideas they are about.

Well, a lot of them are propagandizing for the English state and crown.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
All I know about SMT is that Nocturne had a lady with bitey mouths on her boobs

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arcsquad12 posted:

That was Digital Devil Saga.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

All I know about SMT is that Nocturne Digital Devil Saga had a lady with bitey mouths on her boobs

Fixed for you

Edit: damnit

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

They do not shy away from the sexual imagery.

:nws:
:nws:

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 25, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Well, a lot of them are propagandizing for the English state and crown.

oh yeah, though alot of that is because "we want to keep making plays and they make good patrons". stuff like Julius Cesar is more complex.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh yeah, though alot of that is because "we want to keep making plays and they make good patrons". stuff like Julius Cesar is more complex.

I remember, and I thought this was funny, in King Lear near the end of the play Cordelia comes over to England with a French army to try and overthrow the unjust rule of her sisters and their followers. Since it's a tragedy of course noble Cordelia's army is defeated and she is captured, but part of the reason that she's defeated is because it would have been unthinkable in the 16th and 17th century for a playwright to portray England losing against the French.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

I hate to be "that guy" but neither of these two creatures are bugs, they are beetles. Sometimes you people are worse than Boogie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wrageowrapper posted:

I hate to be "that guy" but neither of these two creatures are bugs, they are beetles. Sometimes you people are worse than Boogie.

isnt a bug like a super specific type of insect or some thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A bug is, informally, any kind of small insect, arachnid, and sometimes crustacean. Formally, it is a specific order of insects.

It's like how nobody gives a poo poo that strawberries are not even berries.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, 'true bugs' are like, aphids, shield bugs, cicadas, and I think some other things. It has to do with the mouths. I wanna say 'true bugs' have like, sucking mouths in a specific way?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Let me tell you something about bugs.
I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill 'em all!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Daniel Floyd, late of Extra Credits, has rebranded his channel New Frame Plus, and will be talking animation, in his regular voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4mA1VWO50

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wrageowrapper posted:

When someone says "bug" informally they aren't referring to the formal biological definition

Just like when someone says "normal" informally they don't mean "perpendicular to" even if that's the formal mathematical definition

Think of them as homonyms if that helps; homonyms don't have to have definitions in different semantic categories

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This derail is bugging me a whole lot!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Today I learned something that is the epitome of pedantic and who gives a fuckic

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

KayTee posted:

But you don't know what Jade Cocoon is tho, right? :ohdear:

e:

VVV yay! VVV

It's one of my favorite PS1 games and it's pretty unethical, really. You enslave forest creatures and force them to battle to the death in your stead. Then when you get tired of them, you hand them over to your girlfriend who merges them together in unholy rituals against the whims of nature. Funny enough the whole game's story is about how nature is just loving pissed off with people are trying to finally kill them for good by sending hell bugs out from the forests to just kill them already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Ghostlight posted:

A bug is, informally, any kind of small insect, arachnid, and sometimes crustacean. Formally, it is a specific order of insects.

It's like how nobody gives a poo poo that strawberries are not even berries.

Don't ever call a spider a bug, or even an insect for that matter, within earshot of an entomologist as they will try and kill you.