Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

did you just brag about being able to hit a move and then immediately admit that you can't hit it against a resisting opponent aka you can't hit the move

Yes. The mechanics of the move aren't that complicated. It all becomes a question of having the tremendous amount of balls to hit it in comp.

I'll report back when I hit it in sparring (which is likely never :smith:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I've found myself in an unexpected windfall.

Is it worth investing in a summer light-weight gi for training or is it not really that big of a difference.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Depends. If you're talking judo then gtfo of here with that light-weight gi BS. If you do BJJ then a lightweight gi is nice, especially if you're traveling. They won't last as long. Also, as a gross sweaty guy I find the lightweight gis can feel a little clammy and gross. I prefer a little more fabric to disperse sweat.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So this is a rather basic question, and I already kind of think I know the way to get a better perspective on it from others. I also don't really recall the name of the choke from the specific position so bear with me.

The positioning is this, initially it's in side position where I'm on either one of their sides and they grab my lapel. As I step over to take back as they are turning, they make the X position with their arms and thus have the choke. In essence our bodies are kind of in a hip throw position except the person on top is in danger with the lapel choke. Up to this point I've been able to counter it by tucking my chin, putting pressure with my forearm onto their head/neck area to force them to break but that's not always the case so from that position what would be an ideal escape process? Or am I just totally loving up by getting into that lapel choke and THEN trying to step over to backmount? What if I do that anyway because I'm a dumb dumb?

I tried googling a picture of this but was having some difficulty finding the exact position so here's a lovely ms paint drawing to try an illustrate it.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Are you describing your opponent baseball bat choking you from the bottom?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's the name of it yeah. Don't know why I blanked on its name.

Edit - Thanks to now knowing the name I've found some escapes. Cheers for the help but also if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

Edit 2 - This video is what I looked at - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zewiQ_TpZb4

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 23, 2018

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
that ms paint is hilarious and that's the choke that taught me that if you let them get deep grips on you don't just pass through it's probably a trap

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
My coach always stresses position before submission includes peeling dangerous grips before passing. Might be worth aborting the pass to strip grips until you figure out what you can get away with. Or just learn through trial and error getting choked in embarrassing positions. That's my favourite way of learning.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Neeber posted:

My coach always stresses position before submission includes peeling dangerous grips before passing. Might be worth aborting the pass to strip grips until you figure out what you can get away with. Or just learn through trial and error getting choked in embarrassing positions. That's my favourite way of learning.

I got choked unconscious learning this lesson. By the time I realized the choke was still on in side control, I was waking up on the mat with everyone around me and I didn't know what day it was.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

What do you do if you get choked out? Do you take some time off? That poo poo is scary to me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spb posted:

What do you do if you get choked out? Do you take some time off? That poo poo is scary to me

Check to see if you pooped your pants, have a drink of water, and then get back in the next round.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spb posted:

Depends, listen to your body, both times it happened to me I went back to rolling with the sparring partner. (cue people freaking out)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Check to see if you pooped your pants, have a drink of water, and then get back in the next round.

This.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

spb posted:

Laugh a good deal afterwards if you start involuntarily snoring.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spb posted:

What, no. I was fine after a couple minutes. My instructor insisted I take a couple rounds off, but I was rolling again shortly after.

Honestly it was a good experience. No pain or discomfort at all. And it showed me exactly where that point of no return was for me. I literally had the thought "I need to tap" but I was too far gone to turn it into a hand motion.

Its disorienting when you wake up-- I felt at first like a great deal of time had passed, and I was dumb enough to ask "was I unconscious?" but your memory and functions return within seconds.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

EBI 16 is tomorrow

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

spb posted:

EBI 16 is tomorrow

i'll actually get a chance to watch this which is nice.

can anyone give any insight into any of the fighters or suggest someone in particular to watch out for?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If any folks ever want to meet up for a Portland grapple event I'll happily attend. I got bad news on the health front and will likely never walk unassisted again, but I'd still like to be a member of the community.

Ole' Chael puts on a lot of grapple events with high level guys, but I never know who the gently caress is who.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Log posted:

If any folks ever want to meet up for a Portland grapple event I'll happily attend. I got bad news on the health front and will likely never walk unassisted again, but I'd still like to be a member of the community.

Ole' Chael puts on a lot of grapple events with high level guys, but I never know who the gently caress is who.

poo poo man. Sorry to hear :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Marching Powder posted:

can anyone give any insight into any of the fighters or suggest someone in particular to watch out for?

It's all women's BW.

https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-news/ebi-16-full-card

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

I train with Talia, she just won World's as a Brown Belt. Bea Mesquita is probably the favorite to win. Bianca Basilio is supposed to be pretty good, And Lila Smadja has done a couple EBIs before.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

drat man best of luck on recovery, don't take no for an answer.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

spb posted:

As far as I can tell it would take someone continuing to choke you for a long time after you fell unconscious for there to be damage to your brain. Getting choked out is worlds safer than being knocked out with a kick or something.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is that girl who made it to the finals on stalling in this one?

e. Gabi McComb and no. Good. Good riddance.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

JaySB posted:

drat man best of luck on recovery, don't take no for an answer.

Mekchu posted:

poo poo man. Sorry to hear :(

Thanks duders. It's ALS, but for a terminal diagnosis you have to get a second opinion. We are hoping for severe lower spine damage to show up as an alternative.

But, I'm as healthy as I've ever been in my life outside of my legs and conditioning. I'm not dying anytime soon.

:knocks on wood:

Seriously, I'm always up for ANY grapple events in the PNW. I'll happily drive someone if needed. Competing is healthy and good for the soul. :)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Going from preparing for a pro fight to having ALS shut everything down is p. extreme

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

omg chael crash posted:

Going from preparing for a pro fight to having ALS shut everything down is p. extreme

"Pro Fight" in quotations. I was going to crush a can and stop, unless I somehow turned good. I seriously moved out here for the health care. The healthcare in the south is a joke.

But...yeah, it's pretty damned overwhelming.

It explains a lot, though. When I had my thread freakout it was because I got prescribed psych meds I didn't need that hosed up my speech. I seriously feel as physically healthy as I've ever been.

Errr, grappling!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

I train with Talia, she just won World's as a Brown Belt. Bea Mesquita is probably the favorite to win. Bianca Basilio is supposed to be pretty good, And Lila Smadja has done a couple EBIs before.

sweet man thanks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A few rad as gently caress finishes on EBI tonight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's over already? why didn't someone remind me! might just replay it tonight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

it's over already? why didn't someone remind me! might just replay it tonight.

I sat down to watch, expecting to see the quarter finals live, and it was over. I think the entire thing was less than 90 minutes once I skipped over the fluff.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

CommonShore posted:

I sat down to watch, expecting to see the quarter finals live, and it was over. I think the entire thing was less than 90 minutes once I skipped over the fluff.

It was pretty quick for an EBI. There were only a handful of overtimes, and those went super quick at maybe a minute or two before submission or escape either side.

I wasn't familiar with most of the competitors but from what I read, it seemed like there was a pretty big skill/experience gap and the the two finalists pretty much cut through everyone else like a hot knife through butter.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Yeah, I believe the skill ceiling was high but uneven between competitors.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

It was pretty quick for an EBI. There were only a handful of overtimes, and those went super quick at maybe a minute or two before submission or escape either side.

I wasn't familiar with most of the competitors but from what I read, it seemed like there was a pretty big skill/experience gap and the the two finalists pretty much cut through everyone else like a hot knife through butter.

The new overtime rule of there being only one round with a 5 minute limit is a good change. I wonder how they break the tie if both competitors get 5 minutes of ride time?

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

A few rad as gently caress finishes on EBI tonight

Yeah, that was a fun show. Mesquita and Basilio were fantastic, as expected.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks for the Russian Tie suggestions guys. I like the Kimura Trap variation a lot.

Neon Belly posted:

Are you describing your opponent baseball bat choking you from the bottom?

The baseball bat choke is worse when you're passing to side control and someone on the bottom hits this on you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My favourite baseball bat choke is to catch it from bottom butterfly and then do a breakdancer spin which turns into a sweep which lets me to roll to north south and finish the choke there. It works ok on big shovey guys.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I love the BB bat choke. I was wondering why my bb bat chokes sometimes wouldn't be that effective until one little detail I learned changed it. The arm grabbing the back lapel should be kept straight out; not bent at all.

Its funny how one little change can radically affect a move.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Does Bravo commentate these events? I've only recently gotten into Joe Rogan podcasts and he is an interesting (completely insane) dude. I could see him being nice entertainment during a long event.

"Think about it! Think about it! What is Bigfoot was president?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Does Bravo commentate these events? I've only recently gotten into Joe Rogan podcasts and he is an interesting (completely insane) dude. I could see him being nice entertainment during a long event.

"Think about it! Think about it! What is Bigfoot was president?!"

Eddie officiates.