Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I started replaying Dead Cells after not having touched it since it first came out (but sank a good 20+ hrs into it then), and man it's way loving harder now and can't even get past the Bridge boss. It also seems like they nerfed more ride-or-die aspects of snowballing in power but still dying in a mistake vs being able to tank multiple mistakes but not do nearly as much damage. Combat is still good and meaty though.

At least it's coming with mod support, which should be cool. I should probably shelve it for now and come back to it actual launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Seventh_Samurai posted:

I need a JRPG to play instead of the dozen or so other JPRGs in my library that sit unplayed. Right now I'm going between FFXV, Tales of Berseria and Ni No Kuni 2. The last Final Fantasy game I played was 7 and the last Tales game I played was Symphonia. Other, more recent RPGs I've enjoyed were Xenoblade Chronicles, Dragon's Dogma and Witcher 3. I have a pretty high tolerance for insane anime bullshit and JRPG mechanics. All that considered and ignoring price as a factor, which one should I grab or are there any others I should consider?

Tales of Berseria is very very good so far.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Olive! posted:

This game is badass

It's cool that its only as hard as you make it. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get it down to only 8 tiles. How did you do it?

Seventh_Samurai posted:

I need a JRPG to play instead of the dozen or so other JPRGs in my library that sit unplayed. Right now I'm going between FFXV, Tales of Berseria and Ni No Kuni 2. The last Final Fantasy game I played was 7 and the last Tales game I played was Symphonia. Other, more recent RPGs I've enjoyed were Xenoblade Chronicles, Dragon's Dogma and Witcher 3. I have a pretty high tolerance for insane anime bullshit and JRPG mechanics. All that considered and ignoring price as a factor, which one should I grab or are there any others I should consider?

The Tales games are good, but they have their own unique fighting system that's more like Street Fighter than anything else; so they don't play much like a traditional JRPG.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Lorini posted:

If you don’t care about an industry based economy, AI competition, and somewhat complex logistics then it won’t be your game. That’s what it brings to the table. His biggest complaints were fixed in patches btw, the AI's can be set to compete in a more fair way for example. There’s also a random map generator and it just released a Mexico DLC.

Thanks for this re: Railway Empire. In the niche simulator thread, someone suggested that Transport Fever with mods can be played basically like a model railway game, mostly ignoring the economic engine stuff. Sounds like that might be more up my alley.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Death of the Outsider is even more frustrating, in my opinion. There's no character customisation and the new mechanic for powers substantially restricts your playstyle. I binged through OG DIshonored and 2, and i quit playing DotO half an hour in because I found it so restrictive that it ceased being fun.

I had the same reaction. "boy, the character abilities in this game are so boring... and there are so few of them!"

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

LLSix posted:

It's cool that its only as hard as you make it. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get it down to only 8 tiles. How did you do it?

You have one more necessary tile than fit directly around the arm, so you'll need to have at least one of the essential tiles be non-adjacent to the arm. Trying to make part of the output non-adjacent to the arm will mean that you'll need to rotate the output, which will necessarily go outside of the 8 essential tiles. So something else will need to be placed non-adjacent to the arm, and you'll need a way to reach it. Use the piston arm to grab an input placed two spaces from the arm pivot.

Here's my solution:

It's a shame that the thread was archived - there's a lot of cool solutions and ideas!

Seventh_Samurai
Jul 5, 2007
dick blick

StrixNebulosa posted:

Trails in the Sky!

I have it! It's one of the aforementioned unplayed JRPGs in my library

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tales of Berseria is good because while it is a revenge story, it's also a story about how broken people still have worth and humanity and also your party are edgelords on the surface but are loving dorks when you get to know them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpcyCH22KXU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Seventh_Samurai posted:

I like Lightning Returns a lot and it's pretty cheap right now. If you haven't played FF13 or FF13-2 thats probably preferable since it hardly even matters. Berseria is also real good though

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah I've never even seen any of FF13 or 13-2 but I played Lightning Returns all the way through and loved it.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

John Murdoch posted:

They're all a bit different from each other, so it's hard to say. Too Shy Guy's reviews might give you an idea: 1, Warhead, 2.

Welp, this just makes me want to get all of them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
LOL this planet I'm on is conquered and I can't leave. The console just gives an uncaught reference error when I click leave planet. Guess I can't try to win any more games over the people with 1000 bot accounts.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Cojawfee posted:

LOL this planet I'm on is conquered and I can't leave. The console just gives an uncaught reference error when I click leave planet. Guess I can't try to win any more games over the people with 1000 bot accounts.

Try again, had the same problem, it works now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Seventh_Samurai posted:

I have it! It's one of the aforementioned unplayed JRPGs in my library

I ended up playing Sky finally after it sat in my own library a while, and when I finally did I wish I had before.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

Yeah I've never even seen any of FF13 or 13-2 but I played Lightning Returns all the way through and loved it.

How does the story in Lightning Return hold up? I tend to find Japanese plot-heavy games too melodramatic to my western sensibilities (which spoiled Nier Automata quite a bit for me, for example). I really loved the plots in Pyre\Transistor\Bastion if that helps. Is Lightning a cool, interesting character at all?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trickyblackjack posted:

How does the story in Lightning Return hold up? I tend to find Japanese plot-heavy games too melodramatic to my western sensibilities (which spoiled Nier Automata quite a bit for me, for example). I really loved the plots in Pyre\Transistor\Bastion if that helps. Is Lightning a cool, interesting character at all?

The story and characters are absolutely batshit crazy and Lightning is practically mugging the camera like can you even believe this poo poo. She's got some good lines.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I have fond memories of Final Fantasy X-2, but never got far into it.
How is the HD port and would you say it holds up?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Zedd posted:

Ive been eyeing ff12 as that is my all time favorite. 25 bucks isnt a bad deal

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

LLSix posted:

Hey, I just got mine down to 26 cycles too! :hfive:

As for 8 tiles...

Stickman posted:

Here's my solution:

Yeah, this but less cycle efficient.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The story and characters are absolutely batshit crazy and Lightning is practically mugging the camera like can you even believe this poo poo. She's got some good lines.

I gotta say that that sounds pretty rad. Not what I would expect. I liked FF games as a teen, but I don't think I could tolerate them these days. But this sounds like something else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trickyblackjack posted:

I gotta say that that sounds pretty rad. Not what I would expect. I liked FF games as a teen, but I don't think I could tolerate them these days. But this sounds like something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgpJ2tQowdc

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Seventh_Samurai posted:

wait you haven't played Final Fantasy X?I suggest that, it probably has the best battle system of any jrpg and for some reason they never reused it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've been wanting to get this one off my list for ages, and now that I have it seems it's been delisted from Steam anyway. So if you have it, savor the jank, and if you don't, lament what could have been.

:blastu: FPSummer :blastu:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
4. Immortal Redneck
5. Rise of the Triad
6. BioShock Remastered
7. Crysis
8. Hard Reset Redux
9. Far Cry 2
10. Sanctum
11. Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
12. Crysis Warhead
13. BioShock 2 Remastered
14. Receiver
15. Blood and Bacon
16. Far Cry 3
17. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
18. BioShock Infinite
19. Prey
20. Call of Juarez Gunslinger
21. Crysis 2
22. Burial At Sea - Episode One (DLC)
23. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
24. Sanctum 2

25. Day One: Garry's Incident

Five years is a long time in the video game world, time enough for whole genres to become bloated with shovelware and asset-flips. Five years ago Day One: Garry’s Incident was making a bold push for the coveted Worst Game On Steam title, but the failings that left it so brutalized by critics almost seem quaint compared to the modern deluge of skeletal Unity survival games. I mean, Garry’s Incident has original art assets, it has a jungle you can run around in to collect mangos and dental floss, and it has enemies that will warp through floors and teleport into your face to kill you. That puts it leagues beyond modern shovelware, but if we can be real for a second here, it still doesn’t make it any sort of good.

We join high-functioning alcoholic and part-time pilot Garry as he struggles to drink from a bottle of whisky in his office. He’s just awoken from a terrible dream about a rather pleasant lady when he gets the call that his package is ready. Next thing you know he’s flying high over a forest when it explodes (the forest), sending him and his plane plummetting to Earth. But before his tale ends there, a magical crate begins glowing and transports him to a mysterious jungle of pyramids, tribal villages, and human sacrifices. He narrowly escapes being sacrificed himself and grabs some kind of alien weapon before escaping a crumbling temple and setting off to find a way home.

Did you get all that? Don’t worry if you didn’t, because it’s a jumbled mess of scenes that doesn’t have much relevance to the gameplay. You’re stuck in the jungle and you need to find a way back to civilization, which will involve a lot of crafting and a lot of shooting monkeys. The crafting comes hand-in-hand with the survival elements, which require you to feed and water your face every five minutes and otherwise make gear to complete missions and progress. The shooting will come up anytime you try to go anywhere in the jungle, because aside from the female tribespeople everyone and everything in the wilderness wants you dead.

This is by no means a bad hook for a game, and if not for the sinfully confusing intro it would definitely make a better impression. But the moment you actually try to do anything in the game, it falls apart. Crafting, for example, requires you to guess which items in your inventory will combine, like mixing bird feathers to make fish bait. You can find some crafting recipies stenciled on skins and statues but most of the time it’s guesswork. Finding those recipies will put you up against enemies like panthers and tribesmen who will rush at you swinging their weapon and clipping through the floor. There’s dozens of them too, in just a single area, which really just makes exploration devolve into tedium because taking them down one at a time is safe and easy, but aggroing too many at once is certain death.

And that really gets to the heart of the problem here, nothing you do is fun or works well or even makes much sense. Your journal will fill up with tasks to complete, and sometimes you’ll get sparkles on the ground telling you where to go and sometimes you won’t. I had them guide me to the village that I could already see from where I started, but I still haven’t found my plane in the stupid jungle and I’m starting to doubt it even exists. Amidst all this is the fact that it just doesn’t play well at all, with stiff movements and jerky animations and an eye-straining art style that prevents you from really focusing on anything for long. I could gripe all day about the bizarre design decisions or the terrible presentation but what really matters is that it feels like garbage to play, and no amount of so-bad-it’s-good quirkiness can get around that.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Tardcore posted:

wait you haven't played Final Fantasy X?I suggest that, it probably has the best battle system of any jrpg and for some reason they never reused it.

The corporate groupthink at Square is extremely against making a big name FF turn-based game because it is a sign of being old, out of touch, not cool and no one will buy it. Just like how no one buys Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Persona, etc.

Also LR's story is stupid and melodramtic as you'd expect. Look up a gameplay video to see if it catches your attention because the story and characters definitely won't.

Zedd posted:

the port is fine but I'll go against the grain and say I don't like the combat system in it at all, though a lot of people of do. If the style of combat meshes with you, there's no other reason to think it's any worse than it was 10+ years ago since it and X were early "modern" style rpg's. There's nothing too archaic at work outside of still having random battles.

Seventh_Samurai posted:

I'd go with ToB. It's a modern Tales game so it's going to be very bland visually and have completely uninspired dungeon areas but it's pretty fun. Combat feels a bit too button-mashy and it's too long like all Tales games but it's an enjoyable game for the most part.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 26, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Too Shy Guy posted:

I've been wanting to get this one off my list for ages, and now that I have it seems it's been delisted from Steam anyway. So if you have it, savor the jank, and if you don't, lament what could have been.

:blastu: FPSummer :blastu:

Do you have your next 5 games already planned? If not, would you take Gifted recommendations?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

LLSix posted:

Anno 2xxx and Planetbase both suffer from the optimal strategy being to just leave your pc running for a day or two to build up income.
I don't think there's a single Anno where this is even a viable strategy let alone the optimal one.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Ghostlight posted:

I don't think there's a single Anno where this is even a viable strategy let alone the optimal one.

2xxx feels like it gets fairly close to letting you do this? It’s pretty forgiving relative to the others and you can just pause expansion so your people’s needs stay fixed.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
It's not steam but has anyone played FORZA HORIZON 3? Is there anything there that makes it worth getting if I already have Dirt 3/Rally/Test Drive 2/The Crew?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spermanent Record posted:

It's not steam but has anyone played FORZA HORIZON 3? Is there anything there that makes it worth getting if I already have Dirt 3/Rally/Test Drive 2/The Crew?

It's pretty grindy but I had decent fun with it, nothing that really sticks out on its own but its the best of the big open world racing games.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Xaris posted:

Do you have your next 5 games already planned? If not, would you take Gifted recommendations?

I have two more reviews queued and then I have to postpone the rest until I return from my vacation in July. Since I have to stretch things out anyway I’ve decided to keep going past 30 and continue reviewing FPSes for the rest of the actual summer (weekly instead of daily most likely).

So yes, if you have anything else that should be on my list I would be happy to put it there. :D

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ghostlight posted:

Weird. I've done it in every Anno since 14 something. In most of them it felt necessary to get over at least one upgrade hump. Arumba does it in his videos too.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Tales of Berseria is very very good so far.

Berseria is rad and Magilou is the best.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I know it's been discussed here before, but what is the 'good' dlc for Endless Legend? Is there anything that isn't worth it, even on sale?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

LLSix posted:

Weird. I've done it in every Anno since 14 something. In most of them it felt necessary to get over at least one upgrade hump. Arumba does it in his videos too.

There’s a number of ways to change the difficulty in Anno games, so anything could actually happen. :chord:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hollandia posted:

I know it's been discussed here before, but what is the 'good' dlc for Endless Legend? Is there anything that isn't worth it, even on sale?

Echoes of Auriga (expands the excellent soundtrack with some new tunes) and Lost Tales (adds quests from minor factions) are the only two I'd say you can skip but they're less than a dollar on sale so really may as well grab them.

Don't bother with the emperor edition. I believe its unlocks are now available to all owners.

If you're just starting out with the game however, I'd try it vanilla first (you can toggle all the expansion content within the game so don't worry about installing them) just to learn the ropes. Each expansion layers on some new gameplay mechanics alongside its new faction if it has one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

a_good_username posted:

2xxx feels like it gets fairly close to letting you do this? It’s pretty forgiving relative to the others and you can just pause expansion so your people’s needs stay fixed.
2070 you'd need to be on a non-combat mission/scenario, and even in 2205 you'd only be able to do it at a very early stage if you own any of the DLCs because otherwise you're looking at your economy collapsing due to random events or returning to find your company under hostile takeover.

It's still not optimal because the entire economy is designed as a pyramid so unlike - say - SimCity where your expansion will often outpace your liquidity, your expansion in Anno is limited only by your production of the most basic building block and profit is always guaranteed so you're actually best off to just blanket down tier 0 habitats and food to increase your revenue base. You should never need to stop expanding - if you do, you're building your pyramid too thinly.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

il_cornuto posted:

How confusing is the plot in Lightning Returns if you haven't touched either of those other games? Don't care much for 'just ignore the plot' as advice either since I can't help myself and pay attention regardless. I don't need the plot to be good, I just need to be able to understand what's going on. So is that still doable without the context of the previous games?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

LLSix posted:

Overnight seems like an exaggeration, but yeah sometimes it's best to just chill and let the game run in fast forward run for a bit to gather resources. I usually do that while making pretty streets and parks in 1404.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Danakir posted:

How confusing is the plot in Lightning Returns if you haven't touched either of those other games? Don't care much for 'just ignore the plot' as advice either since I can't help myself and pay attention regardless. I don't need the plot to be good, I just need to be able to understand what's going on. So is that still doable without the context of the previous games?

It's okay, no one understood the plot of any of the FFXIII. I beat the first one and I sure as hell have no idea what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Heartcatch posted:

Berseria is rad and Magilou is the best.

coo coo