Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Nihilarian posted:

I appreciate the transformation mechanic is a buff to your stats instead of setting your stats to whatever the monsters stats are supposed to be. That always sucks

Yeah, SH is good about this, other games with similar mechanics end up with situations where the alt forms gets get benched due to falling behind the curve so the non-altered hero ends up being better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Harmonixer is a cool dumb term.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I like how you don't get any EXP (an abstract concept of learning from struggles) from fights in the mental realm of the graveyard, but actual physical items you can touch? Sure, you can pull Thera Leafs out of your mind; why not?

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
You think it would be more important that Alice can hear the voice in Yuri head. Something is up with that.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
So can we say the Graveyard is kinda like the Velvet Room, only less Igor and more creepiness?

I got a feeling if this was an SMT game, then Death Emperor would be Yuri's main Persona.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Nohman posted:

Harmonixer is a cool dumb term.

Yeah, it manages to sound important without being pretentious.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Oh yay, Malice. Would it be too much of a spoiler to say that it, frankly, gets to be a pretty annoying mechanic. Guess they had to have SOME bad ideas here or it isn't a Koudelka sequel.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Malice build up never really bothered me, I'd just clear it whenever I hit a save point and not see it again for ages. Maybe I'm too forgiving of the bad things the game does because the rest of it brings me so much joy.

DLord posted:

You think it would be more important that Alice can hear the voice in Yuri head. Something is up with that.

Sometimes it's better to shelve the questions you can't answer and focus on the important things like finding shelter. When you think about it there's already a good number of questions they need to ponder on when they get the chance, but getting the chance comes after getting to town and getting their bearings. It's been a rough enough night already, the two could use some proper rest.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I find it funny that our mask friends have essentially cursed us with annoying game mechanics.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't remember Malice being all that bad. It's something you have to manage, but it's not like you have to really be careful about how many battles you fight between save points or anything like that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ultrafilter posted:

I don't remember Malice being all that bad. It's something you have to manage, but it's not like you have to really be careful about how many battles you fight between save points or anything like that.
Yeah, its just a mechanic that's just there. It's not really that much of a problem.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah, the Malice game mechanic was just more like checking off a tick, like sleeping at an inn or upgrading your equipment, not some godawful game mechanic on par with the deliberately obtuse nonsense of Koudelka or a SaGa game. And monsters like Death Emperor and Raging Tiger sound intimidating until you look at the likes of Bacon and Fox Face, two badass story NPCs who managed to rock Yuri's poo poo in despite everything he has going for him, and his soul is now being held hostage by a punch of evil masks. His fusion powers by comparison so far just involve fusing with nameless generic enemy mobs for assistance. It doesn't help that Fox Face definitely seems to have more experience than his son in using them. When he fuses, he's not using the power of some average mook called Death Emperor you could theoretically find in other games but is still defeated by every team of JRPG protags imaginable in spite of being a cool demon, he takes that poo poo as a title. He is the Death Emperor.

The Dark Id posted:

I like KNOW what I’m getting’ into walking into that a cave that night...

Is all of your solutions punching things, boy?

Was that before or after the voices started in your head.

1. Should be a "to" before this word or it should be changed to "knowing." The apostrophe after "getting" should be removed too.

2. The first word here should be an "are."

3. Should be a question mark at the end here.

Also a personal question to Id regarding some other game-related stuff we've yet to see: Are you going to list the bestiary? Sorry if I come across as forward, it's your LP after all. But that thing adds so much atmosphere to the game.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 26, 2018

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Oh my... A monster hunter for generations, are we? I bet you have some stories. Heh heh.
Tri me!

Don't even think that I didn't see this. :catstare:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

2. Should be "try."

Google Monster Hunter's game selection and you'll see that one isn't a mistake.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is the Death Emperor any relation to Diabolos from Final Fantasy, or do they both just have an attack called Dark Messenger for reasons?

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Vauron posted:

Can't say I agree with that interpretation. To me, 'find your reason for living' has everything to do with his raison d'être. He was either placed on this earth to protect her mini-skirted rear end, or at least will figure out what he should be doing with his life as he travels with her. As to the foul beast line? That should be made clear in the next episode.

Yeah I have no idea why my gut interpreted it that way, maybe I oughta lay off the frijoles :v:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Well done with the monster hunter and fast and furious puns. Those were fun.

The Dark Id posted:

going to be flopping out and every laughs at me.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is the Death Emperor any relation to Diabolos from Final Fantasy, or do they both just have an attack called Dark Messenger for reasons?

Nope.

Just a localisation thing.

Diabolos' attack is "闇よりの使者 " (Messenger from/of the darkness).
Death Emperor's is "お迎え" (Greetings - I think?) which the only supernatural thing I found was that it was related to being able to see ghosts. Someone with better knowledge would be able to correct me :shrug:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The Malice thing sort of reminds me of the D-counter from Breath of Fire V.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Nope.

Just a localisation thing.

Diabolos' attack is "闇よりの使者 " (Messenger from/of the darkness).
Death Emperor's is "お迎え" (Greetings - I think?) which the only supernatural thing I found was that it was related to being able to see ghosts. Someone with better knowledge would be able to correct me :shrug:

お迎え is more like picking someone up (from the train station for example), receiving/welcoming someone, etc. But it also has a fancier meaning of "Final call", the approach of death (as in being picked up/received to the afterlife) probably originating from Buddhism.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Based on the text it's ambiguous if the mysterious voice is addressing Yuri as the Guardian of Purgatory, or if it's referring to some other entity. The audio makes it pretty clear it's not Yuri since they vocalize the missing "the" in "the Guardian." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_1qv0szYRI&t=138s
Oh well, I was thinking it might be a hint about why he's able to travel to graveyard land, guess not.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Reading this after a few days means all the cool errors are taken.

The Dark Id posted:

<clenches fists> You.,.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A lesser game would've waited until at least the second act finale to let you travel into your own brain dimension and beat a ghostly manifestation of your sins to death with your bare hands. Shadow Hearts puts that poo poo in the tutorial.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It's like, this guys loving soul palace is drat rundown graveyard, that's some ridiculous angsty edgy teenager's first serious OC crap

Which you can totally get away with as long as you don't make the character mope about it all the time

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

BioMe posted:

It's like, this guys loving soul palace is drat rundown graveyard, that's some ridiculous angsty edgy teenager's first serious OC crap

Which you can totally get away with as long as you don't make the character mope about it all the time

It's all about tone and context though, and neither is really angsty or edgy in this particular case.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

It's all about tone and context though, and neither is really angsty or edgy in this particular case.

It's actually really impressive how this series covers a lot of dark material while not turning into a pile of angst.

A lot of it is due to the party though. Yuri and his gangs of oddballs liven things up a lot.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Crowetron posted:

A lesser game would've waited until at least the second act finale to let you travel into your own brain dimension and beat a ghostly manifestation of your sins to death with your bare hands. Shadow Hearts puts that poo poo in the tutorial.
It also tells you to get back in the brain dimension when you’ve killed too many monsters and your sins are starting to build up again, or when you’ve killed enough monsters to unlock another demon in your subconscious mind that wants to kick your rear end.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kanfy posted:

お迎え is more like picking someone up (from the train station for example), receiving/welcoming someone, etc. But it also has a fancier meaning of "Final call", the approach of death (as in being picked up/received to the afterlife) probably originating from Buddhism.

Ah, I see. Neat. Thanks :)
I figured there was some deeper meaning to it, but was ignorant of it. So thanks again.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 26, 2018

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Forgot to include this on the previous update. So here it is now!

Shadow Hearts includes a vast Library of Monsters and NPCs that have appeared in the game. Monsters get unlocked as soon as they’ve been defeated, for the most part. NPCs are... a bit more sporadic. We’re done with the first two areas of the game, so let’s see what we’ve gotten so far. I’ll be adding this to end of chapters here on out (mostly because I forget it exists until after I’ve recorded a whole area worth of footage for the LP. :v:)

MONSTERS:

All of the enemies get a fun little blurb of lore. Also their elemental affiliation, which is probably the more important part. I can’t believe Roger Bacon has weaponized vaping. He’s truly an evil man.

Much like the item descriptions, there are no enemies that are just an average animal or insect. They’ve all been punched up with absurd edginess that wraps around to being kind of hilarious. That’s no mere dung beetle! It’s a dung beetle that feasted on the excrement of those sent to the executioner’s block for only the most heinous of crimes and has been filled with their evil energies!

That’s a visual I didn’t need, Shadow Hearts...

I think this is the closest we’ll get to something being relatively normal – Battle Wolves.

You may notice the number of the enemy jumped up to the hundreds. That’s because all the Graveyard enemies and sidequest involved monsters get shuffled off toward the end of the listings. All other enemies are usually in order of appearance.

NPC:

Dude is looking pretty nice for being 699 years old.

Turns out Mr. X was an honorary member of Imperial Japan's army. Makes sense...

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 26, 2018

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Bacon't character portrait makes him look more like a private dick from an old movie

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That spider description freaked me out the first time I played this game. I'd wake up sleeping on my stomach and immediately turn over to lie on my back in fear that that thing would attack me.

The Dark Id posted:

I’ll be adding this to end of chapters her on out

Sorry to be a nag, but this stood out to me and I had to say something.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 26, 2018

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

It's hilarious to me that Yuri builds up immense anger and hatred, probably mixed with some guilt, by beating the poo poo out of monsters for so many years. And his solution is to... beat the poo poo out of monsters in his imagination in order to assuage those feelings.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I can't believe nobody has pointed out that Yuri's fighting stance is to put his fists up like he's pretending to be a kitty cat.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Who What Now posted:

I can't believe nobody has pointed out that Yuri's fighting stance is to put his fists up like he's pretending to be a kitty cat.

It's Meow Thai

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Who What Now posted:

There are kitty cats that fight in a later game in the series, so it's nice to have it start here.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Oh dang, I forgot about the Mask guys. I kinda like them!

TalkLittle posted:

It's hilarious to me that Yuri builds up immense anger and hatred, probably mixed with some guilt, by beating the poo poo out of monsters for so many years. And his solution is to... beat the poo poo out of monsters in his imagination in order to assuage those feelings.

I feel like it's less his own feelings more the negative feelings and the curses of all those monsters he's killed in the past coming back to haunt him. And then he uses his imagination to beat them up again to make them chill out. And it works.

Yuri is my kind of RPG protagonist.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

TalkLittle posted:

When all you have is a hammer...

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

When all you have is a hammer...

...cave in a monster's skull with it?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Came for Roger Bacon.

Stayed for the utterly fantastic item and monster descriptions.

More in-game datalogs need to read as if they were outsourced to Nathan Explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

ajkalan posted:

...cave in a monster's skull with it?
After you tape the hammer head to your knuckles, of course.