Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I'm sorry but the entire Survivor sub-series does not have any redeeming qualities at all.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Once I finish 6 I’m off to the dark world that is the RE spinoffs. I’m going to play every drat game in this series.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Umbrella Corps doesn't seem great

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DanielCross posted:

Fixed that for you.
Nah Survivor 1 has ARK THOMPSON and the lives thing and the branching paths that were kind of neat.

Dead Aim is retroactively justified by showing up in Namco's goofy crossover games before any actual mainline RE characters did.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wesker may or may not be in Umbrella Corps, a game that takes place after RE6.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Should I buy Rev 1 & 2 and 0's remaster/remake while they're on sale on Steam? I see mixed reviews but these are RE games so that's normal.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vikar Jerome posted:

wesker may or may not be in Umbrella Corps, a game that takes place after RE6.

He's a voice over but apparently he's alive.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mr E posted:

Should I buy Rev 1 & 2 and 0's remaster/remake while they're on sale on Steam? I see mixed reviews but these are RE games so that's normal.

Rev 2 is awesome. Rev 1 is okay and 0 is fine but felt like a lot got cut.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

While it has fun co-op, there are many bits that are just absolute bullshit.

so does 4. And basically all resi games except for 7 since its been a pretty default fps setup there.

Really looking forward to the remake. For nostalgic reasons, 2 is my absolute favorite.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Knife runs are one thing, but are any of you superstars capable of playing REmake with the alternate controls? Navigating a Dodge Challenger at 150mph on rims with no tires would be easier

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mr E posted:

i dont think 0 is worth tolerating, but i guess if you look poo poo up ahead of time and carry around the hookshot way longer than you think you'll need it so you dont have to backtrack maybe its not awful.

rev 1 is probably a little better than i liked it but using the nub to aim on the 3ds ruined it for me. rev 2 is a lot of fun although the last chapter or maybe chapter and a half drag so badly, but the game is fun to replay to me with fun unlockables and stuff.

also re: re 5 and 6, i think people hated them for the very minor gameplay shift just out of kind of an ideologue issue. four is a great game but maybe y'all don't remember it was HATED initially for a similar reason, and granted, it's better than five and six (i have feelings on six) i think time has kind of helped people forget how angry people were about it also not being a "real" resident evil game. unfortunately five and six leaned in to co-op a little too hard to the degree that the games are impacted by it, so if you have someone wanting to play "more resident evil" and then being stuck in them single player i think the contrast becomes even greater. fundamentally i both think they're fine resident evil games, and weirdly six is a rock solid brawler??? and while i enjoy six more than most i am also happy they're going back to the single player roots of the series, although a lot of stuff people like about four wont be in the series going forward it seems like.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you replay chapters in 6 you keep all your weapons from later chapters. the best weapon is still jake's equippable melee, though.

jakes fists are the best weapon in re6 and once you know how to do his little side dashes to close distance are about the most fun i can have with the game imo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Policenaut posted:

He's a voice over but apparently he's alive.

idc how ridiculous an excuse they'd have to come up with, I'd welcome Wesker's return. Resident Evil 6 was already on the path towards returning to its proposed Devil May Cry roots so why not pit Jake's Nero versus Wesker's Vergil.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DLC Inc posted:

idc how ridiculous an excuse they'd have to come up with, I'd welcome Wesker's return. Resident Evil 6 was already on the path towards returning to its proposed Devil May Cry roots so why not pit Jake's Nero versus Wesker's Vergil.

For years I've thought that the easiest way to bring Wesker back would be to do some FF7: Advent Children thing where anyone with Wesker's cells could BECOME Wesker but drat if it means I can't have Jake vs. Wesker I dunno about that...

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Policenaut posted:

For years I've thought that the easiest way to bring Wesker back would be to do some FF7: Advent Children thing where anyone with Wesker's cells could BECOME Wesker but drat if it means I can't have Jake vs. Wesker I dunno about that...

there's at least one character from Rev 2 who could turn into Wesker so you could still have Jake versus Albert in this scenario

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

codo27 posted:

Knife runs are one thing, but are any of you superstars capable of playing REmake with the alternate controls? Navigating a Dodge Challenger at 150mph on rims with no tires would be easier
You mean the 'modern' controls with all that newfangled 3D gubbins? Miss me with that weird poo poo; tank controls until I die when it comes to anything with pre-rendered backgrounds and constantly switching camera angles.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

While [RE5] has fun co-op, there are many bits that are just absolute bullshit.

haldolium posted:

so does 4. And basically all resi games except for 7 since its been a pretty default fps setup there.
Colour me intrigued; what parts in the first two games qualify as bullshit bits? Genuine question!

Policenaut posted:

The only part in RE5 I think is outright bad is that African savannah caravan thing that ends with fighting the big monster.
Autoscroll moments (or anything that takes away your freedom of movement in general) are bad when it comes to RE. After a recent-enough replay, I think the Del Lago fight in RE4 is pretty loving trash these days. No room for fooling around to show off or trying anything different, just lob the (infinite!) harpoons and steer the boat away from the piles of floating lake poo poo.

FWIW though. in RE5 the Irving fight is even more of a tedious bore than the safari shoot-em-up chapter, unless you just rocket the fucker for a quick win.

DLC Inc posted:

idc how ridiculous an excuse they'd have to come up with, I'd welcome Wesker's return.
Please no. I though it was dumb enough the first time he came back from the dead (after being turned into a loving tomato salad with his innards becoming outards) but after RE5's ending saw him explode/melt/burn at the same time, I think I'd go mental trying to suspend my disbelief enough to understand the pseudo-scientific bullshit they'd pull to explain it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

maybe y'all don't remember it was HATED initially

Hell I remember. I was one of them. Still remember seeing the commercial on TV. That ain't my RE! then I played it. Undeniable

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The ship had many parts that were far too dark, regardless of your opinion on gun zombies, and if I recall correctly had dogs too. Dogs and guns in the dark, lovely. The Island in 4 also has similar gun zombie issues, but at least they're visible.

And to head this off, I'm not complaining about dark places in survival horror. It's an action part not intended to scare that is just poorly, poorly lit at times.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've just started playing 7 and hoo boy did it take a sharp turn from whatever Somaesque Amnesia like game it was starting with to full on Resident Evil.

I've just collected my umpteenth ridiculous door key (or piece) as well as just rounded off my huge arsenal with a bloody flamethrower.

Game is good though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
ZAPPING SYSTEM

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

rabidsquid posted:

four is a great game but maybe y'all don't remember it was HATED initially for a similar reason, and granted, it's better than five and six (i have feelings on six) i think time has kind of helped people forget how angry people were about it also not being a "real" resident evil game.

You really have to keep in mind that RE4 is a bubble game. People who were big RE fans before it tended to be upset at the game; people who were lukewarm to neutral on the series will name RE4 as the first one they actually liked. Depending on where you were at the time of its release, you might get the idea that the game was a lot less popular than it actually is.

It also wasn't helped by an initial nine months or so of GameCube exclusivity. The PS2 port is Capcom's 24th best-selling title of all time, but it probably would've done better had it been a cross-platform game from the start, and the only reason it wasn't was that Shinji Mikami vastly preferred developing for the GameCube.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Resident Evil 4 is a perfect single player experience
Resident Evil 5 is a near-perfect coop experience (Except the Gigante/on the rails chapter where none of the health/weapons you collected matter)
Resident Evil 6 belongs in another series entirely, it's so much worse than 4/5/7
Resident Evil 7 is the perfect blend between 4 and the original 3 games despite it relying so heavily on the success of the P.T. demo

5 is still the worst single player experience out of those four though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Resident Evil 4 is a perfect single player experience
Resident Evil 5 is a near-perfect coop experience (Except the Gigante/on the rails chapter where none of the health/weapons you collected matter)
Resident Evil 6 belongs in another series entirely
Resident Evil 7 is the perfect blend between 4 and the original 3 games despite it relying so heavily on the success of the P.T. demo

I'm guessing RE2make will fall on the scale that RE7 does but minus the PT influence and more about the original "feel" as well. I agree with those ranks though I wouldn't mind another one like RE5, and not Rev2 which shackled the second player to a very boring role in a very boring series of locales.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i enjoyed RE7 for what it was, although it goes through like three distinct horror genres during the course of the game made it feel a bit all over the place, just less so than six.

my big issue with 7 is goddamn you capcom i dont want to have a character with bad aim shooting exclusively at wiggle head enemies

Wanderer posted:

You really have to keep in mind that RE4 is a bubble game. People who were big RE fans before it tended to be upset at the game; people who were lukewarm to neutral on the series will name RE4 as the first one they actually liked. Depending on where you were at the time of its release, you might get the idea that the game was a lot less popular than it actually is.

It also wasn't helped by an initial nine months or so of GameCube exclusivity. The PS2 port is Capcom's 24th best-selling title of all time, but it probably would've done better had it been a cross-platform game from the start, and the only reason it wasn't was that Shinji Mikami vastly preferred developing for the GameCube.

yeah it was the big RE fans who hated it when it came out, i just always thought the parallel in tonal shift pissing off the people who showed up the first time that happened was kind of funny. on a long enough timeline all resident evil fans will feel confused and betrayed.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Imagine thinking Resident Evil 4 wasn't one of the best and most influential titles ever released.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

man nurse posted:

Imagine thinking Resident Evil 4 wasn't one of the best and most influential titles ever released.
It literally created a whole genre

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is Operation Raccoon City worth the $6 it currently costs on Steam?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

sponges posted:

It was supposed to be a fun multiplayer game but it's so buggy it's hard to enjoy

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wanderer posted:

It also wasn't helped by an initial nine months or so of GameCube exclusivity.

My buddy went out and rented the game and the GC, played for a half hour, brought it all back and bought the system and the game. We still talk about it all the time and play it when we're drinking sometimes

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

sponges posted:

Please don't do this to yourself.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

sponges posted:

just watch the LP instead, you will get more satisfaction and save $6

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Aces High posted:

just watch the LP instead, you will get more satisfaction and save $6

What LP?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

this one, silly

alternatively you can just watch this part https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJX_dMUadh4&t=1546s and you will know all you need to know about ORC

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Aces High posted:

this one, silly

alternatively you can just watch this part https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJX_dMUadh4&t=1546s and you will know all you need to know about ORC

Game doesn't seem very good.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think about the only Resident Evil spinoff games worth a drat outside of Revelations 1 and 2, would be the Outbreak games. I can't really think of any other spinoff game that's actually good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think about the only Resident Evil spinoff games worth a drat outside of Revelations 1 and 2, would be the Outbreak games. I can't really think of any other spinoff game that's actually good.

3 is. :colbert:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I’m the furthest I’ve ever been in the REmake. Just got the armor key and unleashed the wrath of crimson heads. Crimson heads are terrifying. Holy crap. My only solace is that they don’t chase you through doors.

I’m getting used to the game and it’s less scary (but still scary) if you get used to it. The thing is that it takes getting used to by a lot.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 26, 2018

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Himuro posted:

I’m the further I’ve ever been in the REmake. Just got the armor key and unleashed the wrath of crimson heads. Crimson heads are terrifying. Holy crap. My only solace is that they don’t chase you through doors.

I’m getting used to the game and it’s less scary (but still scary) if you get used to it. The thing is that it takes getting used to by a lot.

Soon it will be a comfortable old friend to you like it is to us :)

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

codo27 posted:

My buddy went out and rented the game and the GC, played for a half hour, brought it all back and bought the system and the game. We still talk about it all the time and play it when we're drinking sometimes

Resident Evil games are the reasons I've bought systems. Gamecube for 4, Dreamcast for Veronica and I stole my cousin's PS to play 2. hahaha.

I sometimes think about revisiting Veronica, but I had such a TERRIBLE time of it when I first got it that I think I might have a phobia of the game now hahah. I remember the first time I played it, I somehow sequence broke? I went to the mansion before exploring the science facility bit where you pick up the bowgun and when I went back there the shutters were down as if I'd triggered the escape of that wee electric bastard. So I had to struggle my way through and eventually quit and started again because clearly I'd done SOMETHING wrong.

So next time I get the bowgun, proceed through the game normally until the Tyrant fight in the plane. I don't have any ammo left for the bowgun and no healing herbs and I just can't win the fight. I'm sure I could have got good and I can't even blame being young on how bad I was because I was 18 and got myself my first full time job JUST to buy a Dreamcast for the game, but whatever. I start again and try and conserve ammo/health.

THIRD TIME AROUND I beat the Tyrant, save the game and take a break. Some time later I'm idly reading a guide in a magazine and it says you need to refill the fire extinguisher in Antartica as Chris... and I'd left it in the metal detector box in the prison thinking it was useless.

Never touched the game after that. Just stuck to Crazy Taxi.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Code Veronica sucks. That bloody plane Tyrant fight. Steve Burnside. The entire artic section. Thirty to fourty minutes between save rooms and item chests. Bandersnatches. What an utterly balls game.

Sorry to those who like it. I hate that game so I can’t hide my emotions towards it.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah, but Steve jumps through a window and it does a Matrix spin around him as he DUAL WIELDS GOLDEN LUGERS and shoots a Bandysnatch without even LOOKING! It's so sicknasty, dude. :fuckyeah:

Oh poo poo, just remembered Steve's whiny, "FATHERRRRRR!" cry and now I've got the Matt Berry's superior, "FATHERRRR!" Stuck in my head.