Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Richard Benjamin ’The Old Man’ Harrison from Pawn Stars is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh dang, not Dick Ben.

Surprised he was still kicking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly I kind of get the feeling Lynch is so much of a shut-in that he might not actually realize how harmful Trump is. it's something that you can easily fool yourself into thinking isn't a big deal, if you live in enough of a bubble.

Yeah, that's basically what I meant by giving him the "benefit of the doubt" that he hadn't really thought that deeply about it. I didn't get the impression from that that he really has any idea what's going on or any political philosophy beyond some vague immature libertarian ideas many of us have when we were young and stupid (and convinced otherwise). I'm assuming Lynch just never had to grow up beyond that.

This is of course the generous interpretation because the alternative is he knows what's going on and he's happy with it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lynch is so self-involved that he would probably only care if it prevented him from making art in some way

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alhazred posted:

Richard Benjamin ’The Old Man’ Harrison from Pawn Stars is dead.

Good god, he was only 77? The way he looked, I was assuming 90+.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don’t think people irl drink straight liquor remotely as often as they do on TV

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

I don’t think people irl drink straight liquor remotely as often as they do on TV

Pro-tip: Never follow Bojack Horseman's advice on vodka and water, great way of actually becoming an alcoholic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jamesons doesn't taste nearly as good as McNulty makes it look

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

MiddleOne posted:

Pro-tip: Never follow Bojack Horseman's advice on vodka and water, great way of actually becoming an alcoholic.

I tried vodka and water finally at Pride last year and you are 100% correct goddamn

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Mu Zeta posted:

Jameson straight: vomit inducing

Jameson on the rocks: soothing nectar of the gods

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pastis is the only spirit I’ve drunk with water, I don’t think I’ve ever had it on its own. It’s also been about 15 years since I’ve drank it and there’s no regret in that.

A single, large ice cube helps with most whiskey, or a tiny dash of water just to bring the ABV down a little.

Don’t do anything BoJack does.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

Don’t do anything BoJack does.

Too late

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hard liquor is good and fun but best on the rocks. I know a lot of people who drink it straight but I'm from the country so maybe that has something to do w/ it.

Movies and shows play it up a lot tho probably

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My favorite trope is the one where someone takes swig right after getting hurt or doing something scary as if that one shot of alcohol is going to do gently caress all.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

If anyone wants to start a succession thread I will fill it with all the fun stuff I saw working on it, I don’t wanna derail the chat thread too much

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Viacom has come crawling back to Hulu

https://deadline.com/2018/06/hulu-viacom-streaming-library-deal-1202416948/

Though, I don't think this includes currently airing series.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

It needs a fine finish of self-loathng.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've mostly enjoyed Westworld this season but I'm not really sure I like the direction they're setting things up to go in for Season 3.

So the rest of the show is essentially going to be Caprica? I'm kind of put off by how it looks like they're going all in on a really reductive, misanthropic take on human consciousness, where hosts are objectively superior to humans because they can change their minds about things but humans are somehow too rigid in their thinking to ever truly change their behavior. It's framed by the show as something that is objectively true but Sizemore's character arc shows the exact opposite, with him initially treating the hosts as objects but eventually viewing the hosts as equals and sacrificing his own life to save Maeve and her crew. Maybe that's point and Maeve will prove that Ford/Dolores/Bernard/The Forge are full of poo poo, but I'm really not looking forward to a full season of Dolores smugly justifying genocide.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That spoiler text is spot-on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WW is a really simple story masquerading behind amazing actors and cinematography. It's basically jerking off with your left hand because the revelations are meh and underwhelming.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

I've mostly enjoyed Westworld this season but I'm not really sure I like the direction they're setting things up to go in for Season 3.

So the rest of the show is essentially going to be Caprica? I'm kind of put off by how it looks like they're going all in on a really reductive, misanthropic take on human consciousness, where hosts are objectively superior to humans because they can change their minds about things but humans are somehow too rigid in their thinking to ever truly change their behavior. It's framed by the show as something that is objectively true but Sizemore's character arc shows the exact opposite, with him initially treating the hosts as objects but eventually viewing the hosts as equals and sacrificing his own life to save Maeve and her crew. Maybe that's point and Maeve will prove that Ford/Dolores/Bernard/The Forge are full of poo poo, but I'm really not looking forward to a full season of Dolores smugly justifying genocide.

That's not exactly a contradiction according to determinism, but I'm not sure the show either knows or cares given the way the episode seemingly conflated the illusion of free will with the impossibility of change. Even if people lack free will, they can still act in reaction to the world around them. Change their context, and you change their behaviour -- which explains why no-one's burnt Delores for being a witch yet.

But, like I said, it's not clear that the show demonstrates even a basic grasp over these issues.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
Westworld is still a good show and this forum's disconnect with the entire rest of the world over it is just completely baffling to me. It's like people don't even watch the show, they miss basic plot points and character beats and are befuddled by simple narrative devices and then when they don't understand what's going on come up with this convoluted narrative about how the showrunners are idiots who think they're geniuses and the entire thing is just some nonsensical attempt to make everyone think they're smart.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Erotic Wakes posted:

Westworld is still a good show and this forum's disconnect with the entire rest of the world over it is just completely baffling to me.

Still?

People usually get used to expecting it by now.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Finished season 1 of Billions. While the show has some great acting, so far it is nothing more than a cable version of a prime time soap opera like Dallas or Dynasty. So many of the decisions by the characters are made just create more drama for the show. Still I’m enjoying it in as a guilty pleasure. I keep hoping that the writing will pick up, and try for something more.

Mu Zeta posted:

WW is a really simple story masquerading behind amazing actors and cinematography. It's basically jerking off with your left hand because the revelations are meh and underwhelming.

I watched 2 episodes of season 2, and honestly I just can’t motivate myself to watch the rest at this time. I’m sure I will sometime this summer, but I have always felt like WW is nowhere as deep as it wants to be.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The issues I have with WWS2 are the same I had with S1, just magnified.

I think it's a good and well made show and I enjoy it very much, but Nolan and Joy are hella up their own asses and anyone who thinks the dialogue is amazing or ideas are deep is potentially on some rly hard drugs and I would like to know where to get those drugs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The latest Ghosted was fun. What with Ken Marino as Adam Scott's older, more successful brother and the fantastic ending of Ava and the billionaire chloroforming each other.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Westworld is a beautifully constructed, emotionally resonant, well-acted pile of nonsense.

Also, there is no larger audience outside of critics and reddit/SA/Disqus forums; its actual ratings are abysmal.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Laterite posted:

Westworld is a beautifully constructed, emotionally resonant, well-acted pile of nonsense.

Also, there is no larger audience outside of critics and reddit/SA/Disqus forums; its actual ratings are abysmal.

:yeah:

Tho I'm hesitant to say too much of this season was emotionally resonant. In fact it was the opposite in most cases for me, which is probably a big part of why the finale whiffed for me. Other than it being a mess ofc lmao.

Season one did way more to endear me to the cast, tho S2 does have its moments and one or two chars who got some really surprisingly poignant material.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Finale was a 40 degree day

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Erotic Wakes posted:

Westworld is still a good show and this forum's disconnect with the entire rest of the world over it is just completely baffling to me. It's like people don't even watch the show, they miss basic plot points and character beats and are befuddled by simple narrative devices and then when they don't understand what's going on come up with this convoluted narrative about how the showrunners are idiots who think they're geniuses and the entire thing is just some nonsensical attempt to make everyone think they're smart.

Not everyone who thinks the finale was dogshit was confused about how trains move.

The showrunners are definitely high on their own supply and the finale really shows that.

e: There is no way they have 5 seasons planned out and they are 100% winging it just so they can finally trick r/westworld.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 26, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Not everyone who thinks the finale was dogshit was confused about how trains move.

The showrunners are definitely high on their own supply and the finale really shows that.

e: There is no way they have 5 seasons planned out and they are 100% winging it just so they can finally trick r/westworld.

Most of those idiots watch anime too, so...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The finale has some good potential jumping off points. Dolores has based her outlook of humanity on what she saw in the Forge and that would have been the top 1% of the 1% who could have afforded to go to the park. They could easily setup story threads around social class as Dolores discovers that what she saw was a very narrow view of humanity. If the writers were clever (not saying that they are) there's certainly material to mine around the idea that those with the most wealth and power are those that cling to their loops the hardest and that it's not a host vs human struggle but instead a unversal struggle against those of privilege and power.

It makes sense that they would need to break at least partially from the park for Season 3 as you couldn't have Dolores and Bernard both still in the park at that point. Maeve will be good enough in isolation for whatever storyline that turns out to be. She fulfilled her purpose in getting her daughter to safety, so it will be interesting to see what her motivations will be.

It was a beautiful mess of a season, but I think i'll enjoy it more on a rewatch and I'm certainly not tired of it yet.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's not exactly a contradiction according to determinism, but I'm not sure the show either knows or cares given the way the episode seemingly conflated the illusion of free will with the impossibility of change. Even if people lack free will, they can still act in reaction to the world around them. Change their context, and you change their behaviour -- which explains why no-one's burnt Delores for being a witch yet.

But, like I said, it's not clear that the show demonstrates even a basic grasp over these issues.

I would have been fine with that and up until the finale it seemed like that's where they were going, but then they take a random left turn by saying "actually free will does exist, but only hosts can experience it and humans are stupid animals who are inferior to them"

bull3964 posted:

The finale has some good potential jumping off points. Dolores has based her outlook of humanity on what she saw in the Forge and that would have been the top 1% of the 1% who could have afforded to go to the park. They could easily setup story threads around social class as Dolores discovers that what she saw was a very narrow view of humanity. If the writers were clever (not saying that they are) there's certainly material to mine around the idea that those with the most wealth and power are those that cling to their loops the hardest and that it's not a host vs human struggle but instead a unversal struggle against those of privilege and power.

It makes sense that they would need to break at least partially from the park for Season 3 as you couldn't have Dolores and Bernard both still in the park at that point. Maeve will be good enough in isolation for whatever storyline that turns out to be. She fulfilled her purpose in getting her daughter to safety, so it will be interesting to see what her motivations will be.

It was a beautiful mess of a season, but I think i'll enjoy it more on a rewatch and I'm certainly not tired of it yet.

I'm still hoping that this is where they're going with this (along with Maeve proving that Dolores is full of poo poo), but given that so many "AI uprising" stories ignore the existence of poor people I'm not holding my breath

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

My favorite trope is the one where someone takes swig right after getting hurt or doing something scary as if that one shot of alcohol is going to do gently caress all.

If you're not an alcoholic, one shot of liquor can make you feel a little better very quickly.

Of course that's not why it's in TV shows or movies...

" Imagine a world where HEROIN was legal, but possession of coffee was punishable by up to 50 years in jail. In other words, you could run down to the nearest convenience store just about any time of day or night and purchase any amount of liquid heroin you wanted. A whole BOTTLE of heroin would be about $3. Or you could go to a heroin den and sit and shoot up with all your shooting buddies until 2 am -- then you'd get on the expressway and DRIVE HOME. Or, for that matter, where the authorities had made heroin so much a part of the BUSINESS world that, nobody closed a big business deal without having a few shots of smack with the client. And there would be billboards all over the roads for the coolest brands of heroin, showing beautiful models skin-popping beside a waterfall. And on TV -- well, not only would there be all these ads showing your favorite sports heroes shooting their favorite brand of heroin, but in any party scene, or any scene of ANY TV SHOW where people were shown relaxing or having a good time, they always were taking a few sniffs of smack.

The leaders of a world like that would have to be pretty insane, right? I mean, it would be obvious that the leaders themselves were not only heroin users, but stood to gain quite a bit from the entire population (aside from the few anti-heroin fanatics) leaning on this substance to relax.

But let's take it a step further. Imagine if these people made coffee illegal. Because they said it was addicting, and it lead to harder stuff -- like EXPRESSO. But yet untold millions of people had been drinking coffee for thousands of years and NO ONE HAD EVER O.D.'d. You drink it and it sharpens you up a BIT and then later you crash a BIT. But it was so illegal that smugglers were getting fantastically rich having contraband coffee beans flown up from South America. And there was this whole subculture of "BEAN HEADS," people who were into coffee partly as a rebellion against the establishment -- and the whole reason that coffee lead to harder stuff, like NYQUIL, was because to BUY coffee you had to go to a DEALER's house, where you'd encounter people who WERE Nyquil users. On top of that, a one-ounce baggy of COFFEE BEANS would cost like $100 just for ordinary MAXWELL HOUSE grade. And people would be arrested and spend their whole lives in jail, maybe even be executed for using coffee, which is RELATIVELY harmless, while this whole planet of JUNKIES was going scot-free.

IMAGINE WHAT A HORRIBLE, TOPSY-TURVY WORLD THAT WOULD BE, friends. Where they made a POWERFUL CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DEPRESSANT not only legal but GLAMOROUS, while an organically grown, harmless bean off a bush could wreck your life ONLY BECAUSE OF THE LAWS AGAINST IT.

But...

But...

THAT COULD NEVER HAPPEN HERE. NO, not in THIS world. NAH.... NO WAY."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

precision posted:

If you're not an alcoholic, one shot of liquor can make you feel a little better very quickly.

Yeah, I mean, even when I drank like a fish (and my booze of choice was Jameson's straight) a big enough shot drank fast enough could go to my head quick and would be taken right before the need for some liquid courage or to step out in the cold. I never used it to treat a bullet hole or anything like in the movies but I wouldn't call it nothing.

You guys might be drinking too much. Or you're drinking some soft stuff.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

precision posted:

" Imagine a world where HEROIN was legal, but possession of coffee was punishable by up to 50 years in jail. In other words, you could run down to the nearest convenience store just about any time of day or night and purchase any amount of liquid heroin you wanted. A whole BOTTLE of heroin would be about $3. Or you could go to a heroin den and sit and shoot up with all your shooting buddies until 2 am -- then you'd get on the expressway and DRIVE HOME. Or, for that matter, where the authorities had made heroin so much a part of the BUSINESS world that, nobody closed a big business deal without having a few shots of smack with the client. And there would be billboards all over the roads for the coolest brands of heroin, showing beautiful models skin-popping beside a waterfall. And on TV -- well, not only would there be all these ads showing your favorite sports heroes shooting their favorite brand of heroin, but in any party scene, or any scene of ANY TV SHOW where people were shown relaxing or having a good time, they always were taking a few sniffs of smack.

The leaders of a world like that would have to be pretty insane, right? I mean, it would be obvious that the leaders themselves were not only heroin users, but stood to gain quite a bit from the entire population (aside from the few anti-heroin fanatics) leaning on this substance to relax.

But let's take it a step further. Imagine if these people made coffee illegal. Because they said it was addicting, and it lead to harder stuff -- like EXPRESSO. But yet untold millions of people had been drinking coffee for thousands of years and NO ONE HAD EVER O.D.'d. You drink it and it sharpens you up a BIT and then later you crash a BIT. But it was so illegal that smugglers were getting fantastically rich having contraband coffee beans flown up from South America. And there was this whole subculture of "BEAN HEADS," people who were into coffee partly as a rebellion against the establishment -- and the whole reason that coffee lead to harder stuff, like NYQUIL, was because to BUY coffee you had to go to a DEALER's house, where you'd encounter people who WERE Nyquil users. On top of that, a one-ounce baggy of COFFEE BEANS would cost like $100 just for ordinary MAXWELL HOUSE grade. And people would be arrested and spend their whole lives in jail, maybe even be executed for using coffee, which is RELATIVELY harmless, while this whole planet of JUNKIES was going scot-free.

IMAGINE WHAT A HORRIBLE, TOPSY-TURVY WORLD THAT WOULD BE, friends. Where they made a POWERFUL CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DEPRESSANT not only legal but GLAMOROUS, while an organically grown, harmless bean off a bush could wreck your life ONLY BECAUSE OF THE LAWS AGAINST IT.

But...

But...

oh word?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

sir this is a massage parlour

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

You guys might be drinking too much. Or you're drinking some soft stuff.

Eh, I drink a beer or two a week with a harder drink maybe every other week or so. Still though, I can sit down with two fingers of scotch and not feel anything from it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

precision posted:

But...

But...

...Is everything all right with you, dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm severely triggered that wherever that c/p came from they spelled espresso 'expresso'. Or said it out loud idk is it a monologue or stand up bit? lmao