Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I am hereby entertaining any and all deals people want to pitch for why I should give them 3 power when I buy my spellbook.

I can't guarantee it will be on turn one, but I'm listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I've never played or even laid eyes on this game before this, and thus am a helpless baby who deserves pity / extra power.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

King of Bleh posted:

I've never played or even laid eyes on this game before this, and thus am a helpless baby who deserves pity / extra power.

Oh gods, you're a first timer and you're playing Opener?

This is going to be amazing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It'll be fine. Just nick gates.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some Numbers posted:

Oh gods, you're a first timer and you're playing Opener?

This is going to be amazing.

He'll be fine. Last game I played was Opener/YS/WW/Goat/Tchos. I was Tchos and the only person who had played before, so of course I won, but Opener still ran me close in second.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Mr. Squishy posted:

It'll be fine. Just nick gates.

It's your turn to pick a starting location for WW (Arctic or Antarctic) and then KoB to pick where Opener will begin.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Rules question that I can't figure out via google: when exactly are spellbooks awarded? Could I, e.g. unlock my "eat a kill" spellbook then immediately grab Million Favoured Ones and apply it to the post-battle phase of the same combat?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I don't see why not. The Million Favored Ones is a Post-Battle ability that takes place after Kills and Pains are resolved and in order to lose a unit, Kills have to resolved.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Yes, as long as stuff works out sequentially (i.e. you earn the spell book before you try to apply its effects) that's completely legal as I understand it - earning spellbooks happens instantly, so their effects are then immediately available.

If I don't hear soon I'm thinking I might just default start WW in Antarctica. I don't want to have to auto-resolve stuff, but it would be good to get things moving now that we're all set up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

King of Bleh posted:

Rules question that I can't figure out via google: when exactly are spellbooks awarded? Could I, e.g. unlock my "eat a kill" spellbook then immediately grab Million Favoured Ones and apply it to the post-battle phase of the same combat?

Sorry, Kerro, you're mistaken regarding this specific example.

CWOR p20 posted:

Important Note: If you gain a Spellbook as part of or during a Battle (for example, Great Cthulhu’s requirements that require a Devour and/or Kill in Battle), then you do not receive the Spellbook until the entirety of the Battle is resolved. Hence you cannot use a Spellbook earned as a result of a Battle during that same Battle.

Similarly for Yellow Sign; you can't Desecrate a new region, claim Third Eye and immediately take an Elder Sign. Treat the rule as "you gain your spellbook at the end of the action where the condition was completed".

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Oh cool thanks for the clarification.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kerro posted:

Oh cool thanks for the clarification.

No probs. Two other things to clarify about spellbook gain:

1) If the condition somehow stops being true before the end of the action, you still get the spellbook. This would be more likely to happen if we had Black Goat (Necrophagy summoning Ghouls to an area completing "Share areas with all other factions", then the bonus pains scare one faction away) but might happen in some way I've overlooked.

2) It doesn't have to be your action to claim the spellbook.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'll go Antarctic (the bottom one)

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Ok, where do you want to start King of Bleh?

Also, you're first player so feel free to go ahead and take your first action.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 26, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Kerro posted:

Ok, where do you want to start King of Bleh?

Also, you're first player so feel free to go ahead and take your first action.

The rulebook recommends the first player being the earliest faction alphabetically (so Corbeau's CC) but that always seem to me to be a lazy way to randomize, rather than any balance concerns. And could you put the player list/seating order in the OP somewhere?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

The rulebook recommends the first player being the earliest faction alphabetically (so Corbeau's CC) but that always seem to me to be a lazy way to randomize, rather than any balance concerns.

The 1st edition rulebook says "Cthulhu goes first; if Cthulhu isn't in the game then the fattest player goes first". This was altered when Windwalker was added, because Windwalker can never be the first player on the first turn.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ok gang weigh in!

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Last to place -> first to start seems fair enough to me, let's get this party started. In what I'm hoping is a daring move and not just idiocy, I'm going to start in North Atlantic.

XXX
Opener of the Way
XXX

Move 1 cultist -> South America East

Remaining power:
Opener: 7
Windwalker: 8
Yellow Sign: 8
Trump: 8
Crawling Chaos: 8

Next up: Windwalker

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Summon a Wendy at Antarctica

Remaining power:
Windwalker: 7

Next up: YS

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Also, sheet of all the factions. I find it helpful and you may too.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L0Tj4n1_tkN2ofQS6rJ2lJ7-qVGL9OpJiyaI6niDwts/edit#gid=0

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Remaining power:

Next player: YS/Dancer

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I am hereby entertaining any and all deals people want to pitch for why I should give them 3 power when I buy my spellbook.

I can't guarantee it will be on turn one, but I'm listening.

If you give me power, I will help you in wiping the floor with Blue, so we both get our lebensraum in. e: also check dat avatar.

Move 1 cultist from Europe to Arabia.

Remaining power:
Yellow Sign: 7

Next up: TRUMP!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Counterpoint: Yellow Sign plays their own parallel game compared to other factions, and is unlikely to do anything to disrupt the players who really need to be held in check early. I, on the other hand, always love to mess with the leader. Vote Nyarly for congress 2018.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Also I've updated the second post with a list of faction special abilities, Great Old Ones and spellbooks. That spreadsheet Squishy linked is good too but if you want something that has just the critical information for this game, check the second post.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Move a Lobbyist to Washington DC

Remaining power:
Republican party: 7

Next up: CHAOS

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 27, 2018

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Cultist to North Pacific

Remaining power:
Republican party: 7
Crawling Chaos: 7

Next up: Opener

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Build gate in E. South America and occupy it.

Opener: 4
MAGA: 7

Next: Windy

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Next: WW

Kerro fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 27, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Move a cultist to Indian ocean.

Remaining power:
Windwalker: 6
Trump: 7

Next up: YS

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Summon Da King (in Arabia).
Claim Spellbook: The Screaming Dead

Remaining power:
Yellow Sign: 3
Trump: 7

Next up: TRUMP!

Dancer fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 27, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lobbyist in DC builds a Gate

Remaining power:
Republican Party: 4

Next up: Chaos

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Need a clarification on the Screaming Dead. It says "a second, different action". Does that mean "an action other than Screaming Dead" or "an action other than move?". In other words, is Screaming Dead also a Move action?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

An action that is not Screaming Dead.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah it's so you can't outpace CC by screaming all over the map.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Gate in the North Pacific

Remaining power:
GOP: 4
Crawling Chaos: 4

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Summon mutant in South America.

Opener: 2
Trump: 4
Crawling Chaos: 4

Next: windbag

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I appreciate you putting my Lobbyist on his Soapbox, as I forgot to mention that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hibernate, gaining 1 power for the king.

Op:2
Ww:7
Ys:3
Sl:4
Cc:4

Next up Ys.

See you next round gang.

• Locked thread