Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

awe I can't cut metal safely/well in my apartment. I'll have to live without a double broiler for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

legendof posted:

Hmm in that case, is there a significant advantage over using a large wooden cutting board I already own?

The cutting board probably isn't tapered at the edges, it'd be like sliding the pizza off a cliff instead of down a ramp. I also wouldn't be able to launch without a handle without burning myself.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I use a metal peel because I have to spin my pizzas in the pizza oven, and a wooden peel would spontaneously combust if I tried to leopard the pizza near the roof at the end. :smug:

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

Do you all form your pizzas directly on your peel? This is what I’ve been doing and it works fine, the only downside is I can’t build one pizza until I remove the previous one from the oven (because I need the peel for that).

Is there any downside to using pizza pans? I’ve seen them recommended in this thread. I’m considering either that or a second peel to speed things up. Or maybe I should just do tongs + cutting board for removal as mentioned last page.

e: not the best pictures but since this is my first post in this thread, here are my pizzas from today. I know I’m a little heavy handed with the toppings...

Pengwin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 2, 2018

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

When cooking a pizza in the oven is it best under a broiler or just the oven

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Piggy Smalls posted:

When cooking a pizza in the oven is it best under a broiler or just the oven

Ideally you've got the broiler going if it's a thinner crust style, like NY or Neapolitan. I don't use the broiler for Detroit or Sicilian though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Made a pizza peel today, wanted to try making a pizza on my steel griddle on my grill. It didn't turn out that great sadly, too hot! Burned bottoms :( I guess it can get too hot after all.

At least I can use it with the oven, once I buy a stone or something. The steel is far too large for my oven.

A knot flew away from the side of the peel as I routed the edges, but I think it adds character.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Pengwin posted:

Do you all form your pizzas directly on your peel? This is what I’ve been doing and it works fine, the only downside is I can’t build one pizza until I remove the previous one from the oven (because I need the peel for that).
I stretch out and form the pizza off of the peel, but top it on the peel.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have little to no experience with dough making, what's a tasty beginner dough recipe? One in the OP? Should I just follow some youtubes ? I want to start down the path of pizza enlightenment.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wormil posted:

I have little to no experience with dough making, what's a tasty beginner dough recipe? One in the OP? Should I just follow some youtubes ? I want to start down the path of pizza enlightenment.

I find it's less of a pain in the rear end to go with a recipe that's given by weight, because I like measuring things with a scale. I can't remember exactly where I got my dough recipe, but I think it was from Genaro Contaldo's YouTube channel.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't have an exact recipe yet, but I tend to work with weight too and just use percentages of weight of dough to represent other ingredients. I think this is even EU-approved:

For a given quantity of type OO flour...
57% hydration
2% salt
2% yeast

Note: no olive oil.

After initial rise, prove individual loaves in 200g rounds. These tend to make 13ish inch Neapolitans.

I have seen 3% salt. This is horrible. Run away.

You would use more water with other bread flours. I have read 60-70%. I can't vouch for it not due to snobbery, but because type OO got pretty cheap and accessible here recently, so I don't bother. Years ago, I would make a biga with cheap flour and it helped out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Edit: I have seen recipes that say all purpose and some that say bread flour -- should it be bread flour?

PT6A posted:

I find it's less of a pain in the rear end to go with a recipe that's given by weight, because I like measuring things with a scale. I can't remember exactly where I got my dough recipe, but I think it was from Genaro Contaldo's YouTube channel.

I have a scale, weight is good for me. This is what I got from the video.
500 g strong flour + 1 tsp salt = mix
325 ml warm water + 7 g yeast = mix
Mix, pull and fold, Divide into 4 portions, cover with damp cloth, rest in warm place for at least 2 hours
Push into pizza shape with hands, sauce, olive oil, salt, parmesan, mozzarella, basil, olive oil again
7 minutes at 428F

This dude is insane in a way I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-SJGQ2HLp8

edit; the recipe in this video is very slightly different, mostly on times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-VRntrbypI

wormil fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 3, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

wormil posted:

Edit: I have seen recipes that say all purpose and some that say bread flour -- should it be bread flour?
Use what they say. IIRC type OO is a little under the amount of gluten typical in bread flour. It is also worth checking how they recommend handling the dough. It is possible they overwork the bread flour a little, which will relax some of the gluten, or they may play their cards right with AP flour to exploit what gluten they have.

I have added gluten on bread flour after a hiatus when I forgot WTF I used to do. It would snap back and refuse to stretch without a fight. The eventual result had a very big, but delicate outer crust that some breadheads liked a lot more than they wanted to admit. You could smack somebody across the face with it. I saw pictures of some bread Georgians (the country) likes that looked similar.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

wormil posted:

I did the serious eats pan pizza recipe last weekend and my wife and I quite enjoyed the results. My only problem was initially underestimating the amount of flour to use when handling the dough and getting it into the cast irons, but that was an easy fix. Super easy and low effort way to make a solid pizza.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

there's the super peel that's been mentioned as good but I don't have it yet. I probably will if the paddles suck for the clamshell. Clock you drilled holes in yours to move the elements? I may get a second one to mod and just do the temp and maybe a reflector for this one.

The paddles that come with the clamshells definitely suck. Mine were like 3mm plywood and as soon as they got remotely damp they warped like they were banana wood.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Success. I followed Gennaro's recipe above for the crust and it was good, very basic. I've had better crust. I used raw tomato sauce instead of store bought sauce or any pizza sauce recipe and that was good. Baked the pizza for 7:30 @ 550, best I can do.

Lessons learned:
1. I am terrible at making circles but am a master at making pizza in the shape of Lake Michigan.
2. My dough shrinks after I press it out, kinda frustrating. But thickness was fine when it cooked.
3. I really need a pizza peel.
4. Raw tomato for sauce is good.
5. deleted
6. Next time I will add a little sugar to the dough.
7. I need a better pizza pan or a pizza steel. All I have now is an aluminum pizza pan with holes which actually worked well but the aluminum is "sticky" against the steel grates at high temps.
8. I need better oven mitts. What works at 425f doesn't work well at 550f.
9. Whoever first put basil leaves on pizza was a genius. Crazy how much they shrink though. The pizza in the picture below was covered with big basil leaves.

Rate my pizza. This was my 3rd pizza. The one in the upper right is garlic/cheese bread made with the same dough and it was fantastic.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

wormil posted:

Lessons learned:
1. I am terrible at making circles but am a master at making pizza in the shape of Lake Michigan.
If you're rolling them then turn the pizza and reroll instead of turning your body and reroll. Or alternately start picking them up and hand stretching them. If that is too tedious, starting that way will start you with a rounder shape that will roll more evenly. Proofing them as rounds also helps.

quote:

2. My dough shrinks after I press it out, kinda frustrating. But thickness was fine when it cooked.
Warmer dough will hold better, or alternately wear out the gluten a little bit more. Again, you'll get warmer dough if you break them into rounds and proof those in advance.

quote:

3. I really need a pizza peel.
Ehh for oven baking you can do a lot with the front of a flat cookie sheet or the back of a brimmed baking sheet.

quote:

4. Raw tomato for sauce is good.
It's considered legal Neapolitan so yeah. No worries there.

quote:

6. Next time I will add a little sugar to the dough.
IMO I wouldn't unless you have some reason to work the yeast into more of a frenzy. And even then you might be better off with diastetic malt powder.

quote:

9. Whoever first put basil leaves on pizza was a genius. Crazy how much they shrink though. The pizza in the picture below was covered with big basil leaves.
Put the leaves on first and top over them and they'll stay more to form.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Soppressata, radish sprouts, buffalo mozz, san marzano tomatoes on sourdough for a wedding in the desert!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

IMO I wouldn't unless you have some reason to work the yeast into more of a frenzy. And even then you might be better off with diastetic malt powder.

Thanks for the tips. I followed the Gennaro Contaldo video as closely as I could, just need to practice. Only reason I considered sugar was I felt the crust would benefit from a bit of sweetness but I'm no baker so I should probably leave well enough alone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wormil posted:

Thanks for the tips. I followed the Gennaro Contaldo video as closely as I could, just need to practice. Only reason I considered sugar was I felt the crust would benefit from a bit of sweetness but I'm no baker so I should probably leave well enough alone.

Yeah, for some reason I remember my crusts not stretching out well at first too, I don't remember what I changed, or if I just got better at the stretching technique. If you refrigerate the dough for any time, you must let it come back up to room temperature.

Also, the dough freezes very well -- I can't recall if that's in Gennaro's video or not. Just cover it with a thin layer of olive oil, and then wrap with plastic wrap. It takes about 3 hours to go from frozen to ready to use if you take it out of the freezer and thaw it on the counter, or you can thaw it overnight in the fridge and then wait for about one hour after taking it out of the fridge.

Finally, watch the rest of Gennaro's videos because he's a loving treasure. Especially as concerns making ragu, and pasta dough, and shapes of pasta.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

wormil posted:

Technique helps. So does garlic powder.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Happiness Commando posted:

I might have missed it but I didn’t see how much he suggested to add.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pizza Night #2 was not a success. Same Genaro recipe, all ingredients weighed, but I changed 2 things.

* I used 10g of salt instead of 5g, this does not seem out of line with other dough recipes.
* Instead of placing a damp towel over the dough, I oiled the tops and used Saran wrap.

The dough was rose nicely but was super wet. Even using lots of flour it was almost impossible to work. When baked it was cracker-like instead pizza crust. What did I do wrong?

Dough recipe for reference.

quote:

500 g strong flour + 5g salt = mix
325 ml warm water + 7 g yeast = mix
Mix, pull and fold, Divide into 4 portions, cover with damp cloth, rest in warm place for at least 2 hours

edit;

Happiness Commando posted:

Thanks, I will try this.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 17, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

wormil posted:

Pizza Night #2 was not a success. Same Genaro recipe, all ingredients weighed, but I changed 2 things.

* I used 10g of salt instead of 5g, this does not seem out of line with other dough recipes.
* Instead of placing a damp towel over the dough, I oiled the tops and used Saran wrap.

The dough was rose nicely but was super wet. Even using lots of flour it was almost impossible to work. When baked it was cracker-like instead pizza crust. What did I do wrong?

Dough recipe for reference.

edit;

Thanks, I will try this.

If it seems wet and you're sure you measured properly, maybe you didn't knead long enough. When I make the dough, it will start out pretty wet and sticky but it loses that even without adding a whole bunch of flour after I knead it enough.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The mozzerella I got off of penn mac is so much better than what I am able to get locally. Good thing I got a bunch of it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

nwin posted:

I might have missed it but I didn’t see how much he suggested to add.

Lehmann suggests not more than .15% of both onion and garlic. I do .1% of just garlic and it makes a noticeable difference.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

wormil posted:

Well what do you mean by "cracker-like?" I'm assuming "thin and crunchy." We don't know how much oil you used, so my theory is it replaced some water and made the dough appear wetter than it actually was. Oil can make a bread more moist to a point, but it'll eventually join the cooking process and start crisping up everything.

The air could have also just been dryer. This would be a bigger issue in a gas oven.

You're also a variable in this since you're one step beyond the "just starting out process." It's a bit easier as time goes on to handle the pizza and make it flatter. So you might have started out with a thinner pizza this time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Like a saltine cracker. The oil was however much oil it takes to brush a light coat over dough so not very much. I'll try again like the first time and see how it goes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
This avatar/post combo was so funny

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

wormil posted:

Like a saltine cracker. The oil was however much oil it takes to brush a light coat over dough so not very much. I'll try again like the first time and see how it goes.

How wet were the dough balls when it was time to form the pizzas?

Last gotcha, we're you rolling them out? If so, can you recall how much flour you used up there?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How wet were the dough balls when it was time to form the pizzas?

Last gotcha, we're you rolling them out? If so, can you recall how much flour you used up there?

Dough was very wet. Did not use a roller, just my hands.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

wormil posted:

Dough was very wet. Did not use a roller, just my hands.

All I really got left is differences in thickness and cooking factors like humidity and time.

Well... are you sure it was water you used? Maybe it was sand.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That's probably it, too much sand in the flour. So dumb of me. Maybe the water was just extra wet that day. :shrug:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

tbh as it was a pan pizza probably not enough oil. Even a wet dough should be able to be handled if the gluten is properly shaped and 2% salt is better than 1%. Look for pizza balling or w/e on youtube for an example.

/e- looking at your previous posts make the pie on parchment for ease of transfer. You don't seem to be using the broiler method which is the line parchment can't cross.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 20, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

tbh as it was a pan pizza probably not enough oil. Even a wet dough should be able to be handled if the gluten is properly shaped and 2% salt is better than 1%. Look for pizza balling or w/e on youtube for an example.

/e- looking at your previous posts make the pie on parchment for ease of transfer. You don't seem to be using the broiler method which is the line parchment can't cross.

Remove parchment at like 2-3 minutes, it works perfecto.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

wormil posted:

That's probably it, too much sand in the flour. So dumb of me. Maybe the water was just extra wet that day. :shrug:

I measure all my poo poo to the gram, every time. My dough is never the same twice. I've resigned my fate to the gluten god.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I'm not using parchment on the homemade dough. I bought pizza dough from the store awhile back which came wrapped in parchment paper but I didn't like how it turned out. The homemade dough I cooked on a preheated pizza pan @550F. But I also baked one on an unheated pan and it turned out much the same. My wife baked a couple in a cast iron skillet and they turned out great.

Ola posted:

I measure all my poo poo to the gram, every time. My dough is never the same twice. I've resigned my fate to the gluten god.

Yeah I don't know. I just need more experience.

Would the water make a difference? The first time I used tap water. The second time I used purified water because I had some left over from fermenting.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Two of the first pizzas off the Black Stone this summer.

The first one was great-the Stone was about 600 degrees and I put the pizza on with the burners all the way off for about half of the cook, then I turned it on full blast to finish.

The second one, I’m having trouble with. The stone was about 650 and I did the same method of cooking, but it came out as you see it. It’s just burning too quick on top.

I’m having trouble toeing the line between getting the crust brown and burning the hell out of it.

Both tasted amazing though. The second one is my current favorite with toppings: Calabrian pepper sauce, mozzarella, capicolla, and a drizzle of honey. It’s supposed to have macadamia nuts as well, but the grocery store didn’t have them.

nwin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 25, 2018

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Testing out a 24 hour refrigerated fermentation on my sourdough. A really good margherita resulted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
These aren't usually as photogenic as the NP and NY pies, but I was pretty impressed with this.

Absolute unit.