Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If they start throwing errors then it's time to replace. There's no reason to proactively spend more money when you don't need to. Best practice is to have a cold spare that's been stress tested and good backups for important data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Another best practice is to chart all smart attributes that your manefacturer marks as indicators of pre-fail.
I have 4 disks that are over 60k hours now, and still running just fine.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Steakandchips posted:

Sell the 2 and 4tbs and add 6tbs when you have more money. Always keep a cold spare 6tb disk around.

You don’t get it, he’s gotta overwrite the data and subsequently destroy the platters so no national spy agency can ever recover his shameful anime collection.

(For HDDs, even a single pass of overwriting zero or random is going to make an extremely expensive recovery project for the NSA, with no certainty of getting what they’re looking for. For anyone short of an agency like the NSA it probably isn’t happening at all.)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Falcon2001 posted:

How often should I consider proactively replacing disks? My NAS runs 24x7 but doesn't see a lot of day to day use. I'm running 4x Western Digital WD40EFRX 4 TB WD Red, all purchased almost exactly 4 years ago.

To be honest, just have a 5th running hot spare (if you can) and check either SMART or , as zfs does, tells you when a drive is running degraded (it picks up a lot of bad writes/reads and is constantly removing them from being used)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

Another best practice is to chart all smart attributes that your manefacturer marks as indicators of pre-fail.
I have 4 disks that are over 60k hours now, and still running just fine.

There was a really good open source dashboard software that I'm forgetting... maybe Grafana? What do people here use? /curious

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BobHoward posted:

You don’t get it, he’s gotta overwrite the data and subsequently destroy the platters so no national spy agency can ever recover his shameful anime collection.

(For HDDs, even a single pass of overwriting zero or random is going to make an extremely expensive recovery project for the NSA, with no certainty of getting what they’re looking for. For anyone short of an agency like the NSA it probably isn’t happening at all.)

I found our that the synology disk devices have USB 3.0 ports on the back and I can just add external disks to that? I might just toss the overflow into a usb 3.0 enclosure(s)

Falcon2001 posted:

How often should I consider proactively replacing disks? My NAS runs 24x7 but doesn't see a lot of day to day use. I'm running 4x Western Digital WD40EFRX 4 TB WD Red, all purchased almost exactly 4 years ago.

I get irrationally nervous when my disks get > 5 years old

If I were you I would start saving for a replacement and plan on replacing the whole unit. At that point you don't know if the motherboard, power supply or disk is going to blow first. Plus CPU/controller chips have gotten a lot smaller/faster/cooler which means fewer cooling fans/noise

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'd start planning to rotate your disks out by 5 years. Build a new array, if it is stable then transfer your data to the new array and use the older disks to backup (scrub them regularly to check for reliability and this is fine).

red19fire
May 26, 2010

In keeping with this theme, I'm in a similar situation. I have a Synology DS213j that's about 5 years old. Runs like a top, no problems ever. But, the transfer speed is slow as hell, takes more than an hour to move 50 gb. I'm mainly storing a photo archive, not doing any wild 4k video streaming or anything. I'm leaning towards upgrading to the DS418 as well, but I'm seeing that there's QNAP's with thunderbolt 3 ports and kind of getting tempted to switch just for the transfer speed.

Or, is there such a thing as slow ethernet cables? I'm using the ones that came with the machine, should probably wax them so it goes faster.

For the DS418 transfer, if I put two fresh 4tb drives in and set it up, I can then swap in my old 4tb drives without risking data? Or is it safer to set up the fresh disks and do a complete transfer to them, then wipe the old ones and install them in the DS418?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

red19fire posted:

takes more than an hour to move 50 gb.

That's about right for a saturated 100Mbit link. Check to see that both client and server (and anything inbetween if applicable) are negotiating at gigabit speeds.

That's only 14 megabytes per second which I wouldn't expect to max out the drives. I don't have any experience with Synology boxes but I wouldn't expect that to be typical.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

red19fire posted:

In keeping with this theme, I'm in a similar situation. I have a Synology DS213j that's about 5 years old. Runs like a top, no problems ever. But, the transfer speed is slow as hell, takes more than an hour to move 50 gb.

H2SO4 posted:

That's about right for a saturated 100Mbit link. Check to see that both client and server (and anything inbetween if applicable) are negotiating at gigabit speeds.

This is almost certainly your problem. Something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFD0SMC/ may solve your woes if your router (ISP provided?) is all 100mbit ports.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I ended up ordering that DS418 kit. Most of it should arrive by Wed or Thurs :dance:

red19fire posted:

Or, is there such a thing as slow ethernet cables? I'm using the ones that came with the machine, should probably wax them so it goes faster.

Rule of thumb is expect about 100MB/s out of gig-e. Check out the Cat-6 cable from Cable Matters on amazon. Good stuff, reasonable price, excellent quality. If you're doing an especially long run, or your cable runs along a bunch of other active cables you may want to look in to Cat 6a. Cat 5e is so generic depending on who you buy it from it might not meet the quality standards to push that kind of signal as far as you want it to go. The price premium online for 5e vs 6a is so tiny you might as well invest in the higher quality.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I could have sworn enabling jumbo packets improved my throughput to my NAS years ago. Am I misremembering or is that a real thing?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Munkeymon posted:

I could have sworn enabling jumbo packets improved my throughput to my NAS years ago. Am I misremembering or is that a real thing?

Real thing. Increasing the MTU increases throughput.

The Infiniband ConnectX-2 drivers for Windows didn't support it though, at least when I tried it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Munkeymon posted:

Very real thing. They just often don't play well with sending things outside your network, as many ISPs are not at all happy about a MTU over 1500.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

DrDork posted:

Very real thing. They just often don't play well with sending things outside your network, as many ISPs are not at all happy about a MTU over 1500.

Oh, yeah, to be clear, both the NAS and the desktop had two ethernet jacks, so they had their own private line to each other that was 4k frames or whatever the max was they both supported. I'm not enough of a network wizzard to have internal on jumbo and external on regular outside of the idiot babby sandbox of physical cable plugs from A to B :downs:

Still a possibility for people to consider!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's really not worth it for most people unless you are pushing the CPU limits on your devices.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

DrDork posted:

Pretty much. Enable jumbo packets on the storage NIC/vlan and you'll see the throughput jump substantially. You'll see some hilarious packet fragmentation issues on the WAN link though, so avoid doing that for anything that traverses the internet.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What’s a way to check io throughput on zdevs? I had a /z2 on FreeNAS and added more drives in an external enclosure and moved to ZFS on Linux. I then moved the data and Reid the internal drives as /z1 but feel read performance is noticibly slower than it was on FreeNAS, but would like to compare the two against industry standards and see if i just need to set some tweaks or something.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hughlander posted:

What’s a way to check io throughput on zdevs? I had a /z2 on FreeNAS and added more drives in an external enclosure and moved to ZFS on Linux. I then moved the data and Reid the internal drives as /z1 but feel read performance is noticibly slower than it was on FreeNAS, but would like to compare the two against industry standards and see if i just need to set some tweaks or something.

zpool iostat -xen 15

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

zpool iostat -xen 15

pre:
# zpool iostat -xen 15
invalid option 'x'
usage:
	iostat [[[-c [script1,script2,...][-lq]]|[-rw]] [-T d | u] [-ghHLpPvy]
	    [[pool ...]|[pool vdev ...]|[vdev ...]] [interval [count]]
This is with latest proxmox (debian based) Just doing zpool iostat -v 15 got some info but looks like i'd still need to generate load to get the good numbers.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hughlander posted:

pre:
# zpool iostat -xen 15
invalid option 'x'
usage:
	iostat [[[-c [script1,script2,...][-lq]]|[-rw]] [-T d | u] [-ghHLpPvy]
	    [[pool ...]|[pool vdev ...]|[vdev ...]] [interval [count]]
This is with latest proxmox (debian based) Just doing zpool iostat -v 15 got some info but looks like i'd still need to generate load to get the good numbers.

My bad, regular iostat should work. That should also give you the agregated pool stats.

Disclaimer: I use Solaris

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

My bad, regular iostat should work. That should also give you the agregated pool stats.

Disclaimer: I use Solaris
Isn't -x part of the fault manager, and therefore hasn't been upstreamed to OpenZFS?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

D. Ebdrup posted:

Isn't -x part of the fault manager, and therefore hasn't been upstreamed to OpenZFS?

Iostat -xen gives you the drives in the either GUID format or the cXdYtZ format, with drive error stats and extended disk statistics. Iostat --h should give you what your distro wants as far as flags and switches.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

I get irrationally nervous when my disks get > 5 years old

If I were you I would start saving for a replacement and plan on replacing the whole unit. At that point you don't know if the motherboard, power supply or disk is going to blow first. Plus CPU/controller chips have gotten a lot smaller/faster/cooler which means fewer cooling fans/noise

Yeah, was getting a little nervous but it also doesn't seem like a super big problem either from what I read?. I'm running 4x4tb in a Synology DS414, but honestly I'm thinking of downsizing, so I might get away with moving to a smaller unit and seeing if I can sell this old one after wiping it. I've never gone over 60% capacity on it and simply don't have the storage requirements that I did when I built it.

On the other hand, it looks like if I were to rebuild I'd probably still end up with a 4-bay unit and maybe just only throw in three 6tb drives. I still want to be able to lose a drive and replace it and keep going.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Iostat -xen gives you the drives in the either GUID format or the cXdYtZ format, with drive error stats and extended disk statistics. Iostat --h should give you what your distro wants as far as flags and switches.
It's just that I'm not seeing zpool iostat -x in the man-page for illumos, so are we talking OracleZFS?

Now that FreeBSD has smart in ports (which can make it to base if necessary) and diskinfo has had added features, I suspect something equivalent along with identifying drives by serial number and/or physical location and having extended disk statistics based on backplane information is in the works - but it's implementation specific.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's just that I'm not seeing zpool iostat -x in the man-page for illumos, so are we talking OracleZFS?

Now that FreeBSD has smart in ports (which can make it to base if necessary) and diskinfo has had added features, I suspect something equivalent along with identifying drives by serial number and/or physical location and having extended disk statistics based on backplane information is in the works - but it's implementation specific.

My bad, it's not zpool iostat, it's just regular old iostat. It still shows the pool agregated transactions, in addition to the disk specific ones.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

My bad, it's not zpool iostat, it's just regular old iostat. It still shows the pool agregated transactions, in addition to the disk specific ones.
Ah, yeah - iostat on FreeBSD has -x too. In addition to that, there's also systat -vmstat which lets you keep an eye on the VM, swap, disk and interrupts.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
I'm out of SATA ports. Are these cables the right ones for m1015 (clones)?
And is the Dell H200 a decent choice? The price is right.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Currently I remotely access my Synology DS418j via ssh by having it operate as a VPN server. I'd like to have it connect to the internet using a VPN service (like NordVPN!) while still retaining my ability to ssh in. If I use a service that offers a static IP, will I be able to connect to the Synology's VPN server by pointing tunnelblick at the IP NordVPN (or whatever) gives me for the VPN service the unit is connected to to access the Internet? Is this a stupid and unsafe idea, and am I a total bumfuck idiot missing a much simpler solution?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I don't know how much of a Linux-like shell Synology provides, but if there's a method of SSHing out of the Synology then there's a damned easy way of SSHing in: just SSH out to a box that you control, such as a VPS, whilst remoting a specific port.

You can pay as little as $5/month for a DigitalOcean droplet with a single-core CPU and a Gig of RAM. Then you'd run a command from the Synology box, such as:

ssh -R 12345:localhost:22 ubuntu@digitaloceandropletIP

You now have an SSH tunnel established on your Synology box that links to port 12345 on the droplet. You can log into the droplet from anywhere in the outside world and in the droplet shell just ssh into port 12345, like so:

ssh localhost -p 12345

Hey presto. You'll be SSH'ed through the tunnel you set up earlier on the Synology straight back into home. This being an outbound connection from the Synology, it will run within any VPN you've got set up.

If the Synology OS does not support a reverse SSH command you can also achieve the same result by running a Linux box or Raspberry Pi inside your home network and establishing the reverse SSH to DigitalOcean/VPS that way. Then once you SSH back into your home box/Pi you can jump accross to devices on your home network (including the NAS).

The only drawback to this method is that if your DigitalOcean box gets hacked then the attacker can potentially remote into your home. By using key-based SSH access and keeping your node up to date there's little chance of this happening.

Edit: Here's a guide:

https://www.howtoforge.com/reverse-ssh-tunneling

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks for this info. SSH tunnel is good, but what I really need is for all of the Synology unit's traffic to run through the VPS/VPN (specifically Transmission but there's no way to specify what programs use VPN or not.) I was going to use the transmission+openvpn in Docker container, but turns out the DS418j uses some weird Realtek SoC and there's no build of Docker for it.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks for this info. SSH tunnel is good, but what I really need is for all of the Synology unit's traffic to run through the VPS/VPN (specifically Transmission but there's no way to specify what programs use VPN or not.) I was going to use the transmission+openvpn in Docker container, but turns out the DS418j uses some weird Realtek SoC and there's no build of Docker for it.

I'm afraid I can't help you with how you're gonna configure what does and doesn't go through your VPN, but the SSH part is agnostic. It doesn't care whether the SSH tunnel runs inside the VPN or outside of it. The only drawback if you run a reverse SSH within the VPN tunnel is if the VPN connection is flaky and sometimes drops out and reconnects, because that could disengage the SSH session and you'd need some way of re-establishing the SSH when you aren't home. This can be done with a Linux cronjob that calls a script to periodically check if the SSH part is still alive, and if it isn't then the command to establish the SSH connection is run.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 1, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Right but my understanding is that this would just run ssh through the VPS, not all of the other apps the synology unit is running. I do use SSH, but I need the rest of the synology unit to also run through a VPS/VPN. That can be accomplished easily via the GUI. The question is once I've done that, can I still connect to the VPN server on the synology by remotely connecting to the VPN server the synology is a client of via its static IP.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Right but my understanding is that this would just run ssh through the VPS, not all of the other apps the synology unit is running. I do use SSH, but I need the rest of the synology unit to also run through a VPS/VPN. That can be accomplished easily via the GUI. The question is once I've done that, can I still connect to the VPN server on the synology by remotely connecting to the VPN server the synology is a client of via its static IP.

If you want your :filez: on the VPN then -D 12345 on the ssh connection and configure your torrent client to use a socks proxy on localhost:12345. Forget the -R junk.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was about to ask if anyone else had seen low transfer rates from a DS414 to a backup USB 3 drive attached to a computer on the network vs. direct into the back, then I realized I had the drat thing going over wifi and not GigE :v:

New drive inserted and the slow rebuild begins.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone have luck shucking these things?
https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-STEB8000100-Expansion-Desktop-External/dp/B01HAPGEIE/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2

The bare drive is like 30% more!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I did a few of those before the entire easystore goldmine popped up.

They shuck easy and the enclosures are reusable. When I shucked them two years back, they were the SMR (archive) drives. So depending on your use case, that may be an issue. Worked great for media storage/playback, but speed drops when you are doing a lot of writes and burn through the cache (or something like an array rebuild).

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Moey posted:

I did a few of those before the entire easystore goldmine popped up.

They shuck easy and the enclosures are reusable. When I shucked them two years back, they were the SMR (archive) drives. So depending on your use case, that may be an issue. Worked great for media storage/playback, but speed drops when you are doing a lot of writes and burn through the cache (or something like an array rebuild).
Whoah interesting, thanks. That actually sounds a bit lovely for what I want to use so I'll stay away from them.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I want to set up a simple NAS as a music server and to handle backups from two Apple laptops (and then send those backups along to a cloud service). It does not need to be able to transcode video (or even stream it at all, probably). It seems like a simple 2-bay Synology is the best option--do I really need a DS218+ for that or will a cheaper 218, 218play, or 218j work?

Also, what are the quietest drives I can get for this (without totally sacrificing speed/reliability/longevity)? It would be sitting right next to my stereo and speakers, so ideally it's silent. Are SSDs the right way to go, or are there quiet enough HDDs I should consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Scythe posted:

I want to set up a simple NAS as a music server and to handle backups from two Apple laptops (and then send those backups along to a cloud service). It does not need to be able to transcode video (or even stream it at all, probably). It seems like a simple 2-bay Synology is the best option--do I really need a DS218+ for that or will a cheaper 218, 218play, or 218j work?

Also, what are the quietest drives I can get for this (without totally sacrificing speed/reliability/longevity)? It would be sitting right next to my stereo and speakers, so ideally it's silent. Are SSDs the right way to go, or are there quiet enough HDDs I should consider?

How much capacity do you need, and what's your budget? Big SSDs get pricey.