Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Or if you want to play Switch on a TV without using the official Switch dock, you could just take the TV down and stand on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’ve played too much Puyo Puyo Tetris my Lumines play sucks I’m terrible

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Enderzero posted:

So if I wanted to be able to take my switch somewhere and play it on a TV, what's a good solution that isn't bringing the bulky rear end nintendo dock? I see some thin solutions on Amazon but a lot of them have notes about specific firmwares which makes me leery that a future update could kill those products.

Buy a second dock to take with you. (And then, optionally, put its guts inside a smaller shell.)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have no idea how this would work but I always wished there was a way to like airplay your screen to a TV without requiring a dock. In my experience Airplay is awfully laggy so this wouldn't really work but it would be cool to instantly jam your screen onto a nearby TV without having to plug anything in.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That would be cool if you only want your battery to last five minutes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Reminder that Paladins is really cool and good and also runs really cool and good on the Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0h9bilVjEY

I'm on a DF bender today for some reason

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Aw yiss, Lumines Remastered GOTY

No longer regretting buying another pair of JoyCons that I've only made use of once, at a party

Was the party on a rooftop?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Reminder that Paladins is really cool and good and also runs really cool and good on the Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0h9bilVjEY

I'm on a DF bender today for some reason

I'm having a hard time deciding if it's worth paying $30 for a free game

I mean I've put about $15 into fortnite, but still

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's going free at some point, right? Is there an actual date on that?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I applied for an upcoming closed beta for Switch Arena of Valor on a whim and got a code for it

I have never played a MOBA what do I need to know

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What is this thing

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Fwiw that $30 unlocks like 30 champions you'd have to grind for otherwise and you get future ones for free as well

Paladins is pretty good!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

For me it was worth it, I really like it.

If you cant justify it, I believe its going F2P in July. Its worth it at $30, it will be a crime not to play in its F2P version.

If you have ever thought "Overwatch would be fun on Switch", you should check out Paladins, its actually better in some respects.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Spacebump posted:

I wish, my circle of friends don't make Nintendo commercial hipster money

We could hang out at an overpass basketball court I guess

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Kvlt! posted:

What is this thing

Gameboy Advance with an attachment for magnifying the screen. And probably lighting it too since regular GBAs weren't backlit and thus impossible to look at in anything but perfect lighting conditions.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

What is this thing

The two biggest hits against the OG GBA were 1) a small screen that 2) was not backlit.

A lot of people shipped them off to internet randos to install backlights in them, but mostly people just played under lamps or bought those things, which were combo screen magnifiers and top-down lights. They sucked.

The joke was, rather than buy another dock you could get a large screen magnifier for your switch.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Just beat a bunch of my coworkers at Mario tennis during lunch with the switch in kickstand mode.

Next week we're playing for people's lunches

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The OG GBA holds a dear nostalgic place in my heart, but the SP murdered it on just about every possible front.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
My brother tried to play Boktai on a regular GBA and to this day says it was the most miserable experience of his life.

Sure, take a handheld that you already can't see the screen on and play it in direct sunlight for a few hours.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Those screen magnifiers never had lenses that were larger than the actual screen, so it just made it so you could only see 60% of the screen at once. The lights were never diffused so turning on the light meant you got to look at a magnified reflection of an LED and none of the game.

It was at least pretty cool being able to play for ages on just regular AA batteries instead of needing to take a charger with you on trips, though.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

GBA games oftentimes had wonderfully pastel palettes because darks didn't render as well on the non-backlit screens. If you ever played games like Super Circuit or M&L: Superstar Saga, you really notice the bright environments when playing on a backlit screen or emulator

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I used to use one of these guys.

I did eventually mod my GBA with a frontlight before the SP came out. Someday I'd like to get or build one of those original GBAs with the backlit version of the SP screen. My SP is still the frontlit version.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I used to play with my hands under a reading lamp, which would be a lot more comfortable nowadays with LED bulbs.

A buddy and I, home for our first big break freshman year of college, waited in line a few hours to buy GBAs on Black Friday before it turned into murder day (then into highly strategized inventory dumping day).

I remember sitting out all afternoon keeping eye on a black pot of brunswick stew, sneaking dad's beers, and playing our new GBAs in the sunshine.

Some Prairie Home Companion bullshit.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Not Operator posted:

Okay, now that the Switch is a recognised rhythm game platform its time to bring over Miku, and produce remakes and sequels of Gitaroo Man and Elite Beat Agents for it.

gently caress you, it was one thing with a hundred dollar DS, but I don't want to be wearing circles into my Switch's screen

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spacebump posted:

Iwata's in his rooftop party, all's right with the world.

:worship:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Spellman posted:

GBA games oftentimes had wonderfully pastel palettes because darks didn't render as well on the non-backlit screens.

Which just made it all the more ridiculous that one of the launch titles was Castlevania: Circle of the Moon.

I remember when the DS finally came out with backwards compatibility with the entire Game Boy library, popping in CotM, and being stunned that there was actually some pretty cool background art in all the levels.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Haha yeah and then the second gba castlevania had the main character's sprite be enormous, bright red, and with a thick white outline

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

404notfound posted:

Which just made it all the more ridiculous that one of the launch titles was Castlevania: Circle of the Moon.

I remember when the DS finally came out with backwards compatibility with the entire Game Boy library, popping in CotM, and being stunned that there was actually some pretty cool background art in all the levels.

Circle of the Moon was the reason why all GBA games going forward had a brighter color scheme. Harmony of Dissonance really went out of it's way with giving your character that red coat and highlighted outline. Lots of SNES to GBA conversions brightened things up. It made sense for the time but playing them on backlit screens or emulated on modern monitors look so bad. (Final Fantasy VI Advance :barf:)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spellman posted:

GBA games oftentimes had wonderfully pastel palettes because darks didn't render as well on the non-backlit screens. If you ever played games like Super Circuit or M&L: Superstar Saga, you really notice the bright environments when playing on a backlit screen or emulator

These days a lot of GBA games have rom hacks so the games don’t look so washed out.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
GBA had the wrong number of face buttons

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Can we just all reminisce what a loving awesome system the GBA SP was

it even had the most satisfying clapping sound when you closed it

what a boss system

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
No headphone jack was a bummer but I almost always played with the sound off on my handhelds as a kid anyway.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My only problem with the GBA is that it isn't as ergonomic as the original GBA.

I'm gonna take another crack at doing the AGS-101 GBA mod once I get in some better money.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The GBA Micro was the best. The screen is so drat crisp for the time, has an excellent dpad and I find it more comfortable to hold than the SP.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

No headphone jack was a bummer but I almost always played with the sound off on my handhelds as a kid anyway.

I still play all handhelds with the sound off, even the Switch nearly 100% of the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The GBA Micro was the best. The screen is so drat crisp for the time, has an excellent dpad and I find it more comfortable to hold than the SP.

Yea the Micro was Best Game Boy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finally got a GBA Micro a few months ago. The screen is super crisp.

But my eyes bleed after a few minutes of play.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Micro was too good for this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I remember the Micro came out around the same time as or a little after the DS (back when the DS was still going to be a "third pillar" while the Gamecube and GBA would continue to receive full support :haw:), so I never ended up with one. But it did seem like a cool concept, especially with the swappable faceplates.

• Locked thread