Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just a random tidbit I didn’t see mentioned, but I thought it was interesting that Brother Mouzone used the same gun that James Bond famously used - a Walther PPK.

Also, I could have sworn in one of the first episodes of the first season when D’Angelo is in the pit, bragging about girls, he mentions another Mouzone. I’m sure it’s nothing, but I thought it was interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure that was Poot.

Carletta, Arletta or something like that.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/1009164693058084865

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

This is America, man.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
I'm currently watching season one again, and I have to admit I'm not sure why the squad are so upset about Rawls wanting to charge D'Angelo with those murders?

They say it would have gutted their case but why? The wiretap doesn't even need to be mentioned, its just a homicide detective reviewing old cases who saw a name, decided to review the scene and found some evidence, why even mention the ongoing investigation? And it wouldn't make the Barksdales change anything up, because its just a detective who was sore at D'Angelo getting released previously, going and finding a way to get him, it wouldn't mean anything else.

And once he is arrested he would have been ripe to try and flip, which is what they wanted surely?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

bucketybuck posted:

I'm currently watching season one again, and I have to admit I'm not sure why the squad are so upset about Rawls wanting to charge D'Angelo with those murders?

They say it would have gutted their case but why? The wiretap doesn't even need to be mentioned, its just a homicide detective reviewing old cases who saw a name, decided to review the scene and found some evidence, why even mention the ongoing investigation? And it wouldn't make the Barksdales change anything up, because its just a detective who was sore at D'Angelo getting released previously, going and finding a way to get him, it wouldn't mean anything else.

And once he is arrested he would have been ripe to try and flip, which is what they wanted surely?

My take was that they wanted more time to catch Avon or Stringer dead to rights- they all knew this would be their one big shot to put them away and they'd be going back to their days jobs afterward (which many of them hated). I don't think any of them wanted to stake all their work on the possibility of D'Angelo flipping.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I don't remember the specific circumstances but wasn't the evidence weak anyway? Seeing as he didn't do it, it must have been.

He would have just gotten off again, potentially ruining the Barksdale investigation. All for a solved murder statistic without a conviction even.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Which goes back to something that is mentioned explicitly in the Homicide book but I can't recall ever being mentioned on The Wire itself. Police stats are (or were) based on arrests, not convictions. So all Rawls was interested in was being able to turn a case "black" by making an arrest and then just moving on to the next one, and his stats would continue to look good even if D'Angelo got off (again). The idea of D'Angelo flipping on Avon and Stringer is lazy and he probably doesn't even believe it himself, but who cares, it's still one more red case off his records.

McNulty is pissed when D'Angelo gets off his murder charge in the first episode, but as far as the department is concerned that is still a "complete" case.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

D'Angelo is the middle man between street guys and upper management. It's where all the phone traffic is going through and if he's off the street you have to waste time getting a new wire on whoever his replacement is.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Which goes back to something that is mentioned explicitly in the Homicide book but I can't recall ever being mentioned on The Wire itself. Police stats are (or were) based on arrests, not convictions. So all Rawls was interested in was being able to turn a case "black" by making an arrest and then just moving on to the next one, and his stats would continue to look good even if D'Angelo got off (again). The idea of D'Angelo flipping on Avon and Stringer is lazy and he probably doesn't even believe it himself, but who cares, it's still one more red case off his records.

McNulty is pissed when D'Angelo gets off his murder charge in the first episode, but as far as the department is concerned that is still a "complete" case.

It is interesting though that most of the detectives do seem to care what happens after a charge is made. The whole series started with McNulty checking up on the guys who beat him up in court, and right now on my rewatch I'm watching Bunk trying to get McNulty to put him in touch with Omar. The charge was made and his clearance is safe but still he is trying to progress his case.

Also, just like every rewatch I am once again amazed at just how big of an absolute oval office McNulty is.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm currently reading Homicide and it's a pretty great companion piece to this show, even more so, weirdly, than it is to Homicide: Life on the Street. It goes pretty deep into the mentality of the homicide department, the stat game, the politics, all of it. And many of the actual people in it are pretty clear comparisons to characters in The Wire.

Landsman is a bit of a weird one because I now know what he really looks like since he is in The Wire as a different character and the show's version of Landsman looks nothing like him.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bucketybuck posted:

Also, just like every rewatch I am once again amazed at just how big of an absolute oval office McNulty is.

The more I watch it, the more I feel that Rawls probably was making the right call way back in S1

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s really interesting yeah. My first watch I thought of mcnulty as a beleaguered antihero with uh, some personal problems.

Then you watch the series again and realize he actually just kind of sucks and you shouldn’t be rooting for him (as a person; he’s still an entertaining character). Best thing you can say for him is that he doesn’t actively dislike his children. Season 4 mcnulty is ok though

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

yeah, id like to think he turns out alright in the end but he's just left a trail of broken lives and dead bodies behind him and never even notices

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

yeah, id like to think he turns out alright in the end but he's just left a trail of broken lives and dead bodies behind him and never even notices

But he does notice, he is told it flat out multiple times and recognises what is being said. Bunk told him, Rhonda told him, Daniels told him, a few others I can't remember told him in no uncertain terms.

He knows it, he just doesn't care because he is a raging rear end in a top hat.

As a side note on assholes, this rewatch is also reminding me how big of an rear end in a top hat Nick Sobotka is. He is a dick.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

bucketybuck posted:

As a side note on assholes, this rewatch is also reminding me how big of an rear end in a top hat Nick Sobotka is. He is a dick.

In all fairness, that entire plotline is a dick.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

bucketybuck posted:

The whole series started with McNulty checking up on the guys who beat him up in court, and right now on my rewatch I'm watching Bunk trying to get McNulty to put him in touch with Omar. The charge was made and his clearance is safe but still he is trying to progress his case.

To be fair, Bunk wanted to find Omar because Ilene Nathan the prosecutor kept hounding him about it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bucketybuck posted:

But he does notice, he is told it flat out multiple times and recognises what is being said. Bunk told him, Rhonda told him, Daniels told him, a few others I can't remember told him in no uncertain terms.

He knows it, he just doesn't care because he is a raging rear end in a top hat.

They both beat Herc by a country mile though.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

They both beat Herc by a country mile though.

Herc is indeed a dick but at least there are multiple examples of him being a genuine person. When Carver got bumped over Herc for sergeant Herc was the first to congratulate him, he seems genuinely popular in the departments, took the fall when internal affairs came calling rather and tried to protect the others in the detail.

Most of Herc's fuckups came from him being a bit of a fuckup overall, rather than coming from a place of self absorbed assholeness like McNulty. Herc forgot about Randy and Bubbles because he was a fuckup and didn't realise the importance, whereas McNulty absolutely knows the importance and uses people anyway.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Herc doesn't know enough to know he ought to know better

spog
Aug 7, 2004

That's my take too: a lot of heart, not a lot of brains.

I suppose it is illustrative of the depth of the characters that I sometimes wonder if he had been taken under someone's wing, he could have been a sturdy cop - instead everyone ignores him.

I even feel sympathy for Colicchio who is forced to adopt Bunny's new way of thinking, without buying into it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One of my favorite bits is when Herc is complaining to Bunk and Kima about his situation while they're looking for the nail that might bring down Marlo's entire drug empire, and they finally stop to pay attention and ask him what he did. He gives them a (truncated) recap of his situation, and Bunk quietly just states,"Boy they're gonna beat on your rear end like a rented mule." :xd:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

spog posted:

That's my take too: a lot of heart, not a lot of brains.
I suppose it is illustrative of the depth of the characters that I sometimes wonder if he had been taken under someone's wing, he could have been a sturdy cop - instead everyone ignores him.

There's a scene I always forget about in the first season, when Herc trashes the apartment of this lady. When it's over and he realizes he has the wrong place, he apologizes. At first I thought it was a way of showing that he was an all-right guy, maybe a little zealous, but apologetic when he fucks up. Except he doesn't change throughout the series. That zealousness followed by a shamefaced apology is exactly the behavior that gets him kicked off the force.

I think self-awareness, and the capacity to moderate your behavior, is a sign of intelligence, and Herc never does. (You're right; not a lot of brains.) A lot of the other characters became someone else by the end of the series (and the show wasn't subtle at all about pointing it out), but Herc just stays Herc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Taking the fall for the people on the detail wasn't a good thing. They should have all been punished. It's bad when police keep secrets.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Taking the fall for the people on the detail wasn't a good thing. They should have all been punished. It's bad when police keep secrets.

I thought the other two simply had their names on the paperwork as part of the standard “cover for your partner” type activities. Or are you saying that sort of coving should have also come to light?

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
Another little thing I don't get... I'm at the point where Prop Joe has engineered a parley between Stringer and Omar, with the aim of setting Omar's lethal rear end on Brother Mouzone. As I recall Stringer will tell Omar it was Mouzone who tortured Brandon.

That doesn't sit right with me, Omar was always portrayed as somebody close to the streets, somebody who knew the word on the street and all that. He would have known who grabbed Brandon, just like he knew who shot Gant. He knew Barksdales muscle, knew what they were capable of, and if his street knowledge wasn't enough he was also directly involved with the team of police investigating those cases. In fact those police got his co-operation based on that murder, are we really to think they never at any point told Omar who did the deed?

Omar knew who did it, why would he believe Stringer for one second that it was a semi-famous hired gun from New York?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Stringer acknowledged being there and giving the order but said it was Mouzone who did the real nasty torture poo poo.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Stringer acknowledged being there and giving the order but said it was Mouzone who did the real nasty torture poo poo.

But Omar knows that Bird and Weebay did it, thats the reason he lied to help convict Bird. Thats why in the courthouse afterwards he tells Bird to "think on Brandon".

Stringer said it, but why on earth would Omar believe it when it goes against every single thing he already knew.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Omar had a blind spot when it came to Brandon. He knows WeeBay and Bird, he knows they were there, and he was horrified and livid over the torture and display of Brandon which was beyond anything that usually happens on the street (they took Avon perhaps a little too literally), so to be told the reason that this horrible, disgusting, brutal thing that happened to the person he loved was because an outsider was also present and took things too far is something he could believe. Especially since the loss of Brandon still hurts and he was still looking for some kind of closure beyond getting to see the look on Bird's face when he put him away for life.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
Did the detail tell anybody about the full container of raw heroin sitting on the docks?

Hard to imagine Burrell not immediately telling them to parade that size of a haul in front of the papers, regardless of how much the detail wanted to see who came looking for it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I remember correctly (perhaps not!) the Port Authority were the ones watching it in the end, so maybe it got passed over to them by the Detail. I don't really know the exact way the Port Authority fits in with the BPD, they're their own separate thing tied in with the State, aren't they?

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
Just watching season 3 now. Bodie is talking to Stringer about the Hamsterdam deal, String says "Thats it?", and Bodie replies, "yeah, just that, and the boy Marlo...". Stringers reply is, "Yeah I'm on it...yep".

I knew it anyway but just the way he says it and the way he looks away makes it so clear that Stringer, he has no goddamn idea what to do about Marlo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's that beautiful scene where Avon tells Stringer,"It's not about that part of it, String, it's the other thing..." and it sums things up so beautifully. Stringer had big plans and a lot of good ideas but he really didn't know how to deal with somebody who didn't share the same values as him (like Prop Joe) and made the mistake of thinking Avon was a problem rather than an asset. Not that Avon wasn't equally shortsighted in other respects, but it is kinda remarkable to think that Stringer essentially survived as long as he did because his best friend was Avon and that gave him somewhat of a shield.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I rewatched the Sopranos recently, Wire alums pop up in bit parts here and there.

Bodie jacks a truck in the first episode.
Rawls works as a Distract Attorney.
Omar shelters Jackie Jr when he has to hide.
Detective Crutchfield works as a bookie.
Horse Face plays Tony's high school football coach.
Business Card Homeless Man (that's really the name of the character) plays another mentally character in season 6.

Bonus: Maury Levy voices a beaver in a commercial for an insomnia medication that plays in one scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khY4dAdfDTE

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
True-frost was in a Taco bell commercial
Wood Harris was in Southland Tales, possibly my favorite great bad movie ever. Partnered with Amy Poehler even. Gets murdered by Jay Sherman
Frankie Faison was black hitler. That's not a joke or an exaggeration, he literally was a black hitler. This is still my trump card when it comes to weird Wire roles.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

practically everyone was on oz.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wood Harris is in everything and I can't not see Avon when he appears. Dredd and Blade Runner 2049 were weird to watch.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oz is such a weird show in retrospect. I had missed it completely by I think close to a decade when I caught some on a free HBO weekend with the cable provider. Needless to say, I had no clue what was going on. Hell I didn't even hear about the wire until like 2007-08. The Sopranos was the first major critical and commercial premium cable hit I remember hearing about

e:gently caress, completely forgot about Blade Runner. I do remember him in Dredd though

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Wood Harris is in everything and I can't not see Avon when he appears. Dredd and Blade Runner 2049 were weird to watch.

Is it my imagination or does Wood get the crap kicked out of him in every role since The Wire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He's only briefly in 2049, it's like one scene I think. But he's very prominent in Dredd and indeed does get hosed up in that one.