Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

GreatGreen posted:

Trip Report: Megaton Rainfall
TLDR - Don't buy.

Glad I skipped this one then, from the sounds of it, I probably would get bored of it really quick.

I will say if anyone is in the mood to blow up tons of aliens/insects with fun weapons, pick up EDF 4.1, it's lots of fun. Even playing by yourself it feels great, there is a lot to do, and with 4 classes, that all play very differently, it gives you a lot of replayability.

I haven't played any multiplayer with it, but I know I've heard lots of people say it's great fun with other people, but I'm just letting people know that it is still a ton of fun for the single playing types like me. For the sale price, I feel like this is a steal, I'll be playing it for awhile, and it's great mindless fun. After playing Insect Armageddon and being really disappointed, I'm glad this is more like EDF 2017.

I was also wondering if anyone has played Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare? It popped up in my queue and it looks pretty cool, but I'd like to hear some goon impressions as they tend to be pretty close to my taste (Bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Still handing out random gifts.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77

Add me, tell me your SA name, get a game. In return, join the navy gift train, or do a short writeup of the game in this thread. Don't post in the thread just to say you've added me.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Good game Dead Cells just added support for Mac, Linux and introduced basic framework for mods. Last year I featured the game in my list of cool games I really enjoyed playing throughout the year and now it's even better.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/588650/Dead_Cells/

:siren:They have also announced that the game's price is going to go up five bucks after the Summer sale. If you want in, might want to hurry!:siren:

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks. Excited for this, though I’m sure it’ll end up sucking.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Whoever recommended Zombie Night Terror earlier, thank you! The game's a blast. It's basically Lemmings with zombies and I've already put close to 10 hours into it, and since I'm only on campaign 2/5 (and haven't even touched the Workshop stuff) I'm definitely getting value for my 2,59€.

Gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dovfh8DYngI

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

It's easily the worst sale gimmick since that coal fiasco.

The coal thing was cool, what sucked about it was that it was exploited so hard that they never did it again. Or am I confusing it with another sale event? The one where they gave away free games. I got some of the free games before the well was sucked dry by alt accounts and one thing I got was a pack with all Valve games that existed at that time, which included Portal 2 which was not that old back then.

I agree that this one sucks though, the game is lovely, and it was obvious from the start that people would bot the gently caress out of it, hammering the servers and making the game a pointless exercise in automating useless busywork. But it's easy enough to just ignore it, so I don't mind it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Det_no posted:

Good game Dead Cells just added support for Mac, Linux and introduced basic framework for mods. Last year I featured the game in my list of cool games I really enjoyed playing throughout the year and now it's even better.

:siren:They have also announced that the game's price is going to go up five bucks after the Summer sale. If you want in, might want to hurry!:siren:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1165041939

:allears:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Oh yeah. Note the date though; Dead Cells always used workshop so users could help translate the game but now they've opened it to gameplay modding too. It's pretty sweet.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Griefor posted:

The coal thing was cool, what sucked about it was that it was exploited so hard that they never did it again. Or am I confusing it with another sale event? The one where they gave away free games. I got some of the free games before the well was sucked dry by alt accounts and one thing I got was a pack with all Valve games that existed at that time, which included Portal 2 which was not that old back then.

I agree that this one sucks though, the game is lovely, and it was obvious from the start that people would bot the gently caress out of it, hammering the servers and making the game a pointless exercise in automating useless busywork. But it's easy enough to just ignore it, so I don't mind it.

Yeah, I got Skyrim from that event, which was released like the month before. That was exciting!

--
I started playing Iconoclasts, it rocks! however, I've been hitting my head against the bearded stealthy dude. I manage to connect a few hits but then he starts blocking. I get the message that his back is uncovered while he does that, but all my attacks keep bouncing off... with the added bonus that I can't hide back fast enough. :(

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

woah i actually found a cool looking shmup in my queue. 4 years old and never heard of it before https://store.steampowered.com/app/313400/REVOLVER360_REACTOR/

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, asking for both myself and a friend: what are the best parkour games on steam? Dying Light, Mirror's Edge.... what else is out there? Bonus points from my friend if there's no violence/nothing to run from!

Does anyone have experience with Valley? It's tagged as parkour, but is it parkour in the Dying Light sense, or in the "jump/float really far onto platforms" sense?

Blattdorf posted:

Valve is driving me nuts with their lovely browser. The drat thing just likes to hang up randomly no matter what, and how many times do I even have to verify my age?

I've stopped using the store in the Steam client and just use Chrome with Enhanced Steam. A billion times better for the blood pressure.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pentaro posted:

I started playing Iconoclasts, it rocks! however, I've been hitting my head against the bearded stealthy dude. I manage to connect a few hits but then he starts blocking. I get the message that his back is uncovered while he does that, but all my attacks keep bouncing off... with the added bonus that I can't hide back fast enough. :(

It's been a while but I think you have to hit him with one character, then hit him from behind with the other.

Iconoclasts has rad bosses, especially because each fight works in a unique way.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 26, 2018

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

redreader posted:

I came here to ask: I loved souls/bloodborne. Is the surge any good? Considering getting it.
For me, I hated Souls because I couldn't understand the rhythm and the timing of the combat.

I played The Surge and had such a blast I was able to go back to the Souls trilogy and enjoy it.

The Surge's two combat advantages were being able to cast abilities on the fly with the drone, and more importantly, the jump / duck system making it so you don't have to circle for backstabs.

Crowd management with the drone was crucial in New Game+, bowling over a few opponents or lighting a crowd on fire without having to pause the dodging.

For backstabs, you still can and they have unique animations along with a hitbox indicator (it turns yellow when player is in the sweet spot), but you can easily go the game without realizing backstabs are a thing. Being able to duck and jump over attacks, then build huge combo meter with the counterattack keeps the combat fast and keeps the special moves flowing. The timing's less difficult than figuring out parrying in Souls, too.

Stamina refresh on perfect blocks and perfect timing on attacks (tapping the button right as the animation finishes) also helps that feeling of continual improvement at the combat, too.

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 26, 2018

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I never managed to avoid anything with a jump or duck. Even against what looked like low sweeping horizontal attacks jumping didn't seem to work.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, asking for both myself and a friend: what are the best parkour games on steam? Dying Light, Mirror's Edge.... what else is out there? Bonus points from my friend if there's no violence/nothing to run from!

Dead Core is the game you want: https://store.steampowered.com/app/284460/

It's a game built for speed running without enemies and multiple routes through levels. Basically super-fast platforming which what Parkour games basically are.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I was also wondering if anyone has played Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare? It popped up in my queue and it looks pretty cool, but I'd like to hear some goon impressions as they tend to be pretty close to my taste (Bad).

I'm interested in this one too, but I recall the consensus of the handful of people here who've talked about it is it's good but it's still very early and rough. That was a few months ago though so I don't know if it's made progress since then

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Should I buy salt and sanctuary y/n?

I like hollow knight, have but haven't played axiom verge, did not like guacamelee or mark of the ninja (yes, I'm bad).
Also thanks to everyone who told me not to buy the surge.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stickman posted:

Does anyone have experience with Valley? It's tagged as parkour, but is it parkour in the Dying Light sense, or in the "jump/float really far onto platforms" sense?

I've stopped using the store in the Steam client and just use Chrome with Enhanced Steam. A billion times better for the blood pressure.

Valley is terrible, the gimmick is ok at first but the writing is beyond bad and the gameplay gets dull faster than my ability to tolerate the writing. I wish I'd refunded it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

redreader posted:

I like hollow knight, have but haven't played axiom verge, did not like guacamelee or mark of the ninja (yes, I'm bad).

Salt and Sanctuary is a 2D Dark Souls game with bad boss hitboxes and move set design. Good level design however.

Bruteman posted:

I'm interested in this one too, but I recall the consensus of the handful of people here who've talked about it is it's good but it's still very early and rough. That was a few months ago though so I don't know if it's made progress since then

It is literally ArmA-lite Mount and Blade, and the game has been regularly and significantly updated since its entry into Early Access. It's still very janky, and it is very much at that early Mount and Blade stage where you basically just go around fighting enemy parties and then take towns and that's about the game, but it's got a lot of promise and it's quite fun for how cheap it is both monetarily and in feel.

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what
What's the most bang for my buck for suggestions? I was looking at an AssCreed game, but I don't know. I've got $25 or so to spend.

Listing these as it's easier than trying to explain poo poo I like:
Wishlist

Orv
May 4, 2011
Christ way to make it easy. With the exceptions of Outlast 2, AC: Unity, Dead Rising 3 and Quantum Break, all those games have something to recommend and are very fun in their own ways.

If you want to go with the original AC idea, I'd say if you can swing it go in for the extra $5 on Origins. It's exceptional, a game even non-AC spergs can enjoy and very worth your time.

If you don't want to spring for it, but still want some excellent stealth stabbing action, both Syndicate and Dishonored are two very different breeds of very good stealth and combat action game. Dishonored is more of a linear, stealth-preferred, action-capable game with a heavy story through line and somewhat limited RPG systems. Syndicate is a decently realized turn of the Industrial Revolution in London open-world game where you can stealth but mostly you beat everyone to death with excessive combat finishers. It's got one of the best protagonists AC has ever had and a thoroughly fine one as well.

I'm not going to write a recommendation blurb for everything else so I'd say simply that failing those options my recommended list would be;
Wolf TNO for a SP shooter.
Subnautic for an excellent SP survival game with fantastic atmosphere but some lingering technical issues.
Shadow of War - Shadow of Moredor. No, really, that's it, it's good.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Orv posted:

Salt and Sanctuary is a 2D Dark Souls game with bad boss hitboxes and move set design. Good level design however.
Personally I like to compare it to Castlevania without a map.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Det_no posted:

Motherfuckers, this how they do it now isn't it? First Factorio, now Dead Cells. This is outright blackmail on our poor, broken minds :negative:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean that was an intended implementation of Early Access from the beginning, it's just that barely anybody does it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

redreader posted:

I enjoyed it enough to play it twice, but I was really jonesing for some castlevania and I think if an actual castlevania game had come out in the same...decade? its faults would have been a lot harder to ignore.

The biggest decider is how much you can tolerate the very bad character art. If you think it will be a serious blocker to how much you can enjoy the game then steer clear

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

redreader posted:

salt and sanctuary is a lot closer to hollow knight than the rest of those. it's obvious main inspiration is dark souls, and it's a "true" rpg in the sense that you make a character and have a skill web n' poo poo. personally I think it's quite good, definitely worth a play through if you like souls or hollow knight. the art style was my main turn-off at first but it actually kind of grows on you

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This is it, guys. I'm finally breaking into the high-stakes world of battle royale games.

:blastu: FPSummer :blastu:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
4. Immortal Redneck
5. Rise of the Triad
6. BioShock Remastered
7. Crysis
8. Hard Reset Redux
9. Far Cry 2
10. Sanctum
11. Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
12. Crysis Warhead
13. BioShock 2 Remastered
14. Receiver
15. Blood and Bacon
16. Far Cry 3
17. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
18. BioShock Infinite
19. Prey
20. Call of Juarez Gunslinger
21. Crysis 2
22. Burial At Sea - Episode One (DLC)
23. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
24. Sanctum 2
25. Day One: Garry's Incident

26. Totally Accurate Battlegrounds

What happens when a joke stops being funny? Usually people get sick of it and move on, but that’s the opposite of what happens with Totally Accurate Battlegrounds. Your first couple games with your boneless flapjack of a shootman will be a giggle-fest of stumbling up stairs, flailing your gun all around your target, and dying in idiot slapfights over a flintlock pistol. Then the joke wears off, and you realize the wide-open map and the scads of guns and items make for a pretty good battle royale game. And a really fun one at that, because everything’s so floppy and imprecise you can’t really take it seriously, no matter how hard you try.

Let’s pretend you’re not actually a human and are in fact some kind of bold new vat-grown life-form that has never heard of PUBG or Fortnite. TABG gathers up 50 willing souls and carts them out to a big open island of villages and castles and farms to kill each other. You make landfall in a flying boxtruck, from which you can launch yourself like a cannonball into the welcoming earth (there is no fall damage, rejoice!). Once you dust yourself off, you need to find guns, ammo, and supplies to defend yourself from the other blood-gargling psychopaths you chose to play this game with, you fool. Death boots you right out of the round to play again, and last rubber person standing wins. Oh, and if you try to hide from everyone, giant walls fall from the sky periodically to force you into closer and closer quarters.

It’s really very much PUBG, just with walls instead of death fields and jell-o people instead of people. You can carry three guns, one small, medium, and large, you can don body armor and a helmet, you can find grenades of all kinds, including silly ones that say things, and you can gather ammo and healing items to improve your chances. There’s a frankly incredible number of guns, from pistols and revolvers to every popular AR in existence to miniguns and rocket launchers to flintlocks and crossbows. They all work, they all have different mechanics, and they all take attachments like scopes and silencers. With that in mind, TABG cleverly gives you a single-player firing range where you can play with all of them to your mad little heart’s desire.

Yep, it’s just like PUBG, except you can’t really count on your idiot avatar to do anything right. One of the “selling points” of the game is that everything is physics-enabled, including the flailing of your character. So when you try to aim or punch or jump or walk, instead of smooth, canned animations your guy is going to QWOP all over the place. It’s not so dramatic that you can’t do anything, but you’ll understand the first time you go to shoot someone and your gun acts like it’s taped to one of those dancing tube guys at the car dealership. Fights then become less life-and-death struggles and more smacking dolls together like a child until one falls over.

It’s all good for a laugh for a few rounds, and then you may notice an odd phenomenon take hold. With enough patience and practice, you will actually start to get your rubber shootman to aim and kill more reliably. The bouncing and flopping will still be there, but you’ll get used to it for the sake of pulling off ambushes and sniper duels. It’ll stop being so funny, and actually become a pretty decent battle royale game to put effort into. I mean, it has all the mechanics and weapon variety necessary, and the floppy physics actually help in a way by cutting down on frustration. After all, there’s no need to get mad if you die to your flappy-armed dude missing because everyone’s struggling with the same comedy of errors.

Totally Accurate Battlegrounds succeeds on two totally different levels, being both a hilarious parody of the genre and a pretty decent attempt at it all at once. I still haven’t gotten tired of launching my guy into walls and trees at the start of a round, squirming over rocks and slapping your paws on everything. But then when the silliness wears off, it’s still a fun little game to take seriously for a few minutes at a time. You’ll get the same rush from reaching that final circle that PUBG gives you, but with less of an edge thanks to the ridiculous grounding of the game. For me it’s the best of both worlds, a joke I can laugh at and a multiplayer killfest I can put a little effort into, which is far more than I ever expected to get.

Amazon Review
Mar 3, 2009

1F YOU B3LI3V3 H4RD 3NOUGH 1N 1M4G1N4RY TH1NGS, TH4T M4K3S TH3M SL1GHTLY L3SS F4K3!
Anyone have any recs for a lesser-known atmospheric Metroidvania? I like Hollow Knight, Ori and Guacamelee, unique art styles are definitely a plus.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Amazon Review posted:

Anyone have any recs for a lesser-known atmospheric Metroidvania? I like Hollow Knight, Ori and Guacamelee, unique art styles are definitely a plus.

SteamWorld Dig 2

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Amazon Review posted:

Environmental Station Alpha would be my recommend. Bosses can be tough tho.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Amazon Review posted:

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Really Pants posted:

SteamWorld Dig 2

This is such a fantastic game that I'd easily recommend it. Instantly became one of my favorites despite not careing much for Dig1

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Amazon Review posted:

Not exactly what you're asking for, but if you've already played the other suggestions, you might look into the Swapper.The gameplay is strictly puzzle, but it has the best atmosphere of any sidescrolling-perspective game I've played. definitely fits the bill for unique art style too (it looks like claymation).

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 27, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

For some reason I have an urge to finally play X³: Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude

Unfortunately this is resulting me running face-first into what a colossal shitshow installing mods for the X games is and always has been.

I've managed to get IEX (graphics overhaul), PSC01 (adds cockpits -- seriously, why did they drop that in X3? The cockpits in X2 were rad), and TCAP (combines TC and AP into one game) up and running, but as soon as I add MARS (makes turrets not suck hugely forever) the cockpits stop working. Why? :iiam:

The mod manager claims no conflicts between those files, but also claims I have eight mods installed and only lists three, so I don't really trust it.

And it looks like the X3AP thread juuuuust went into Archives. :suicide:

Bad Seafood posted:

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

I just picked that up to play on my laptop and I'm enjoying it so far, although it is also kicking my rear end.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Xaris posted:

This is such a fantastic game that I'd easily recommend it. Instantly became one of my favorites despite not careing much for Dig1

Dig 1 and 2 are great games for very different reasons. Dig 1 has the whole mine shaft feedback loop down pat, while Dig 2 is more of a traditional Metroidvania with some of the best movement options I have seen in the genre.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Amazon Review posted:

Abyss Odyssey is not very good but it sure has a unique artstyle. It was made by the same guys that did Rock of Ages.

Rabi-Ribi is anime as gently caress but it's pretty good, especially if you like sequence breaking in games or bullet hell bosses.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is furry as gently caress but it's also good, if a bit repetitive as far as combat goes. It was practically made by a single guy!

Fortune Summoners is also really anime, was brought over by goon favorite Carpe Fulgur and it's good. It does have peculiar controls with VERY deliberate movement and needs a little external download if you are playing on Windows 10, maybe 7? It's in the game's forums.

Does La-Mulana count as a metroidvania? Cause that one is a classic and the sequel should be out any day now. Very punishing and obtuse in some ways so keep that in mind if you don't like puzzling out stuff.

I've heard that Out There Somewhere is good but I wouldn't know. I know it's less than a dollar right now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If we're allowed to substitute anime for atmospheric, I'd also recommend Bunny Must Die: Chelsea and the 7 Devils, though be warned it's tough as nails.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ToxicFrog posted:

I just picked that up to play on my laptop and I'm enjoying it so far, although it is also kicking my rear end.

Reminder that if you beat a boss without taking a single hit you get a unique item for each one.

Good luck.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I still don't know that it really counts as a metroidvania but Rain World definitely scratches the same atmospheric exploration of an interconnected world itch I enjoy in MVs so that might be something to try, and it's 50% in the sale

Also seconding The Swapper, it's puzzle rather than metroid but it's super good and the overall atmosphere is terrific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Reminder that if you beat a boss without taking a single hit you get a unique item for each one.

Good luck.

:wtc:

Now I'm wondering if I want to restart and try to perfect the first boss.