Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

H2Eau posted:

They're working on getting them up to parity (e.g. pIt works quite well, and the mixtape feature is a bunch better than Google Play Music's "radio stations".

The mixtape is a neat idea and all, but it's no replacement for being able to download your own stations. You can play radio stations, but the ability to download them is currently absent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

It may have done elsewhere but I've not seen it in the UK before , bear in mind we have never had any kind of YouTube red, YouTube music etc

It might be a way to make YouTube Music available for all. Glad you got it though! It's useful when it shows up.

LastInLine posted:

I will say they're going to have to figure out how to pry my YouTube favorites away from my YTM favorites because there's no reason I'd ever want one to be associated with the other.

Apparently, this is happening.

https://www.reddit.com/r/YoutubeMusic/comments/8si0on/youtube_music_history_and_playlists_were_just/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

It may have done elsewhere but I've not seen it in the UK before , bear in mind we have never had any kind of YouTube red, YouTube music etc

Same for Canada, I think that's partially why this seems extra confusing

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

ThermoPhysical posted:

It might be a way to make YouTube Music available for all. Glad you got it though! It's useful when it shows up.

Apparently, this is happening.

https://www.reddit.com/r/YoutubeMusic/comments/8si0on/youtube_music_history_and_playlists_were_just/

That's great news. I really didn't need "This is America" mashups taking over my mixtape just because I watched videos in the meme thread.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

LastInLine posted:

If you consider what YouTube Music is doing as "working quite well" I'd really hate to see what you consider to be "unusable garbage that is completely inexcusable in a paid for public application".

I'd say YTM is probably the worst attempt at a salable product I've ever encountered. It's the Juicero of streaming music services only without the juice.

It plays both music I choose and a random selection of music, and has a nice interface. There are my two criteria checked off. I'll amend my statement to "works well for me".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

H2Eau posted:

It plays both music I choose and a random selection of music, and has a nice interface. There are my two criteria checked off. I'll amend my statement to "works well for me".

The interface is really, really terrible. If one set out with the goal of "Ugly, but also incomprehensible and useless" I think it'd be hard to do better.

It starts out on a page with algorithmically determined suggestions populated by every random video link I've ever clicked on in my life, which is probably the absolute worst way to go about it. From there we find generic lists of genres, artists, and popular selections along with a location-based suggestion list. None of these are anywhere close to accurate for me but I'd imagine they'll get better with use (they absolutely could not get worse). Perhaps they'd be better at suggesting poo poo if they allowed me to import my library from, say, another app that the company themselves already makes? Sounds hard, gently caress it.

Next we have THE HOTLIST containing videos of nothing of interest. Also I'm not interested in videos in my music app and I'm never going to be interested in videos in my music app. How about you let me disable all videos in my music app? No? Okay, thanks :)

Then there's the Library a place where literally nothing lives except anything musical I've liked on YouTube a decade ago.

One thing that isn't bad is the search feature. It actually returns useful results with partial and incorrect information and has handy filtering right there at the top.

Lastly though is the navigation and aesthetics and neither of those are great or even good. You're always three taps away from listening to music (Open app > Library > Whatever it is) unless the Home screen improves with use. The dark theme is gloomy and muddy, as most dark themes are, with poor delineation of what's content, what's a button, and where sections begin and end. It looks like a WinAmp skin. (To be fair, even to a guy who likes bright themes Google's current direction with everything else is just as bad at all of these except white instead of black. This current colorless design is equally bad regardless of dark or light mostly due to the lack of an accent color.)

Google's new method of tapping in the top right corner to open a panel from the bottom is bizarre and unintuitive and the stuff that lives in there is quite frankly, strange. Why are Downloads in here when they're in the Library panel? Why is History in here but not the Library panel? There's no logical sense to any of it.

There are also some questionable decisions regarding actual usage. For instance, why are playlists containing all audio with a static video image not automatically formatted as an audio playlist? The service by definition is comprised solely of these playlists at its outset and presumably it is exactly this product upon which the branding of a streaming service is based. So why then aren't the properly labeled elements within those playlists not automatically put into an audio playlist of the same title for users to find? Especially when one must pay if they want to listen to these video playlists with the screen off even if you toggle the video switch at the top of the playback window?

In pretty much every way it just reeks of an unfinished implementation of what is probably a bad idea to begin with. There are more obvious problems but those are just the most glaring to me.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 22, 2018

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So what do you guys use for photos? I was using the standard Google Photo app until I realized that if I had a picture downloaded on my phone and the folder set to auto back up, it would show up twice. I went ahead and backed up everything and deleted it off my phone at Google's suggestion, but I literally just realized I screwed over my muzei phone backgrounds. So instead of downloading and having doubles of those, I figured I'd check to see if anything else is better.

Basically I just want something with no ads, shows thumbnails, and shows me the file tree if I want. Everything else is gravy.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I think we're all using Google photos because images don't show up twice like you are describing?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't even remember what my initial gripe was with the Photos app, but I've been using QuickPic for a while now and it is good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use Piktures.

revolther
May 27, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Google's new method of tapping in the top right corner to open a panel from the bottom is bizarre and unintuitive
Here comes another IP lawsuit from Apple.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Google Photos is one of their best products, so yeah, I use that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Same, not sure what the reasoning would be to NOT use Google Photos, it's amazing. If you have duplicates, like I've had before, it's likely your own fault. Like I had copied a photo to another folder for some reason which was being backed up, so of course it duplicated in Google Photos.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

As soon as you start using words like folder and file structure you can already be sure your doing things wrong.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LastInLine posted:

As soon as you start using words like folder and file structure you can already be sure your doing things wrong.

Google Photos Backup + Sync is a thing that exists for those of us who want to have our non-phone pictures in Google Photos.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Google Photos Backup + Sync is a thing that exists for those of us who want to have our non-phone pictures in Google Photos.

Yes and even there it's a set-and-forget situation where you target some folder for auto uploads. My point is exactly that, if it isn't fully automated and completely hands off, then you're doing it wrong.

Also, ugh, that autocorrected you're > your that Gboard did for me and you quoted is killing me! I feel like I'm on a downward trend for Gboard lately where it introduces errors for me (like that) and the one that's really bothering me is that it decides that suggestions include capitalization. Like I'll swipe a word, let's say the word "it" and of course the word that comes up is never right so it produces "or" but among the three suggestions there's "It" with a capital I. Why would it tie capitalization to suggestions? Why would it start doing that?

Every time I go back to Gboard it does something like that that just irritates me to no end.

Also this:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same, not sure what the reasoning would be to NOT use Google Photos, it's amazing. If you have duplicates, like I've had before, it's likely your own fault. Like I had copied a photo to another folder for some reason which was being backed up, so of course it duplicated in Google Photos.

It's kind of annoying that for all the AI stuff it does it can't tell you what photos are duplicated.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Yes and even there it's a set-and-forget situation where you target some folder for auto uploads. My point is exactly that, if it isn't fully automated and completely hands off, then you're doing it wrong.

Also, ugh, that autocorrected you're > your that Gboard did for me and you quoted is killing me! I feel like I'm on a downward trend for Gboard lately where it introduces errors for me (like that) and the one that's really bothering me is that it decides that suggestions include capitalization. Like I'll swipe a word, let's say the word "it" and of course the word that comes up is never right so it produces "or" but among the three suggestions there's "It" with a capital I. Why would it tie capitalization to suggestions? Why would it start doing that?

Every time I go back to Gboard it does something like that that just irritates me to no end.

Also this:

It's kind of annoying that for all the AI stuff it does it can't tell you what photos are duplicated.

So you're agreeing that you tell it to watch a folder for files and uploads them? If I'm being pedantic here it is because your post was fairly worthless. And I generally appreciate your opinions, but that was a silly thing to say.

And yes, it should have automatic duplicate removals or a way to flag them. It's a huge oversight that it doesn't.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It does have some form of duplicate detection, it's not completely dumb, it just doesn't work occasionally, and a manual upload will override it

I've not tried it recently, but the old picasa client had a duplicate detection in the experimental bit and that hooked into photos

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

So you're agreeing that you tell it to watch a folder for files and uploads them? If I'm being pedantic here it is because your post was fairly worthless. And I generally appreciate your opinions, but that was a silly thing to say.

And yes, it should have automatic duplicate removals or a way to flag them. It's a huge oversight that it doesn't.

Yeah I'm agreeing with you. Soysaucebeast specifically said they're looking for "no ads, shows thumbnails, and shows me the file tree" and I'm saying that the need to find the file itself is proof the approach isn't ideal. I'm saying, and I think you are too, that the easiest way to manage this is with Google Photos auto-uploading everything from the camera and everything put into a particular place set aside just for backing up.

Like you don't want to back up everything (unless you're the sort who never downloads a file for temporary use) and like you said you might want to collect found pictures at times so the solution is just to have a folder (I like a subfolder in Downloads so you can just go straight to it from Chrome and drag it in there) where you know that "poo poo in here is backed up".

I guess my point is that taking mental energy to manage what's backed up, what isn't, and where it all is gets exponentially larger the more pictures you have and you really don't want to have to do that and a properly configured Google Photos/Backup & Sync system does all of that for you, you just have to use it correctly.

Skarsnik posted:

It does have some form of duplicate detection, it's not completely dumb, it just doesn't work occasionally, and a manual upload will override it

I've not tried it recently, but the old picasa client had a duplicate detection in the experimental bit and that hooked into photos

I remember it being in Picasa but I've only found duplicates in Photos purely by accident.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I thought you were giving CLAM DOWN poo poo for "I had copied a photo to another folder.."

Sorry. As you were.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

It's a word that you've manually capitalised at some point and then Gboard tries to be smart and do it again. It's a bit dumb but just drag the capitalised version to the bin and it won't come back unless you type it again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

It's a word that you've manually capitalised at some point and then Gboard tries to be smart and do it again. It's a bit dumb but just drag the capitalised version to the bin and it won't come back unless you type it again.

It took me a while to get a suggestion for "It" in order to remove it, which I did, but now I've got the problem where I can't seem to get it to suggest or even swipe "it" at all. I've manually entered it, hoping that makes Google remember that it exists, but I'm not optimistic.

In any case, it's dumb that it needs to be done at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

I've never had it do anything with duplicates other than store them.

I once uploaded a folder to Photos from my NAS with thousands of old scanned photos in it.

Later at some point years later, I forgot that I had already uploaded that folder and did it again.

Photos doesn't care, it just keeps both sets of identical photos, and photos in that collection that match searches happily show the photo twice.

It's infuriating.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LastInLine posted:

It took me a while to get a suggestion for "It" in order to remove it, which I did, but now I've got the problem where I can't seem to get it to suggest or even swipe "it" at all. I've manually entered it, hoping that makes Google remember that it exists, but I'm not optimistic.

In any case, it's dumb that it needs to be done at all.

Mine started correcting would to wouldn't. I've convinced it to stop but it's made me really paranoid.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Best regards..." now autocompletes to a stranger's name. :tinfoil:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
My friend's used to consistently change "I love you" to "I loved you." Now it goes with "I love YouTube." Cross-promotion is getting weird.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Google Photos just gave me a notification encouraging me to order the "Dog Diaries" photo book it just put together. It's comprised of photos of our new puppy, allegedly.

Except we don't have a dog. All the photos are of our kitten. Who I just discovered shows up in Google Photos searches for both "grey cat" and "grey dog".

AI is the future, and the future is now. Dogs and cats are the same thing.

(I actually love Google Photos and we use it constantly, this just makes me laugh)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

incogneato posted:

Google Photos just gave me a notification encouraging me to order the "Dog Diaries" photo book it just put together. It's comprised of photos of our new puppy, allegedly.

Except we don't have a dog. All the photos are of our kitten. Who I just discovered shows up in Google Photos searches for both "grey cat" and "grey dog".

AI is the future, and the future is now. Dogs and cats are the same thing.

(I actually love Google Photos and we use it constantly, this just makes me laugh)

Haha, can you screenshot this?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

And doxx the cat?!? Are you crazy? That cat is huge on leftist Twitter!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I ended up deleting everything I had on the cloud, manually going through all my folders in my computer looking for duplicates, and then reloading everything into my phone. I was still getting a few duplicates (only about ten vs the forty or so earlier) so I tried to pull up the file path to see what I missed. It only showed the name on the duplicates, instead of the entire path on the originals. I just deleted all the duplicates manually.

But now I'm getting this issue.

I've tried waiting for the blank images to load and they never do. I've tried opening them to see what they are and when I tap it nothing happens. I've tried long tapping to see the file info and nothing happens when I do that either. I've restarted the photos app and rebooted my phone too. Still nothing.

Any help on this one?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've been a Touchdown user for ages but now that it's officially EOL, I'm looking to get current. Is Nine still the go-to app for people who want to sandbox their work email?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I've been a Touchdown user for ages but now that it's officially EOL, I'm looking to get current. Is Nine still the go-to app for people who want to sandbox their work email?

Nine is fantastic

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Ola posted:

Unfortunately the notification disappeared when I clicked on it--which is a shame, because it even came with a dog emoji.

But the creature in the chosen pictures is clearly a cat (there are ~20 images in the auto generated gallery). Even if one or two were ambiguous, the image recognition obviously knows that it's the same creature as the "clearly a cat" photos. It also oddly chose some that are fairly blurry.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Such a cute Italian Greyhound puppy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

Any help on this one?

There's a file called something like thumbnails somewhere. IIRC, CCleaner can delete it. You can try installing CCleaner, cleaning your phone and uninstalling again, because it's a pretty annoying, naggy janitor app.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ola posted:

There's a file called something like thumbnails somewhere. IIRC, CCleaner can delete it. You can try installing CCleaner, cleaning your phone and uninstalling again, because it's a pretty annoying, naggy janitor app.

CCleaner didn't help, but I'll do a manual search for any files named like thumbnails later to see if that does it.

Edit: I just ended up deleting all the app data and then re-set everything up and we're good now. Thankfully it still saved my albums. That was a weird little adventure, but thank y'all for the suggestions!

vvv Yea, I tried that and it still didn't help. I even tried deleting the whole app folder. I have no idea what deleting the data from the settings>app data menu did that I couldn't get from deleting the whole folder manually, but it's good now. vvv

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 27, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

CCleaner didn't help, but I'll do a manual search for any files named like thumbnails later to see if that does it.

Had a look myself, there's a folder called /storage/emulated/0/DCIM/.thumbnails/ I deleted everything in there, didn't seem to do any harm. As far as I can tell, it's just resized copies (or clever symlinks with resizing? does that work?) of your current pics so they load faster when you open some "attach photo" function in an email or messaging app for instance. It got rebuilt once I tried to attach a picture from Gmail. So that will probably solve it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Found something else while browsing the file system. It's really annoying and an appropriate nuance to "don't janitor your phone". I uninstalled Spotify a while ago, but the cache still lingers.

I could have cleared cache first before uninstalling, but I expect every app's poo poo to be cleaned when I uninstall. Perhaps the root folder and some settings can remain, that just annoys the old PC janitor in me. But 1.8 gig of what used to be nice songs but is now useless crap does actually require janitoring sooner or later.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

elmer chud posted:

Such a cute Italian Greyhound puppy.

I hope people keep adopting and domesticating foxes as pets, to further confuse Google photos about the elusive dogcat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
YouTube is allowing me to play video over other apps in a small window suddenly this morning. I thought this PIP functionality was only for YouTube Red subscribers?