Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah I switched from my x to an se for a week and it was hell, none of the good iPhone X gestures worked and you have to touch a home button like an animal
its still a great phone. one of the best. but i want the shiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the SE is the best phone ever made

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hell is other people’s iPhones.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the graphite 5 is the best phone ever made

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i could probably live with the 8 if they never make another se. the glass back is nice.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

how do you notice the back of your phone through a case?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

idk, the se has the same form factor, touch id, faster cpu, hardware for apple pay, wifi calling, camera that does live photos, and space grey is p good

its like, everything that was good about the 5, but better in every way

(and if you say, i dont care about apple pay for retail stuff, thats fine, but it is real nice to use it for in-app purchses and not have to trust lovely apps with my credit card info, with them just using the apple pay api)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the SE's camera is much better than both the 5 and 5s' camera

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that is true and also the se's camera is a complete piece of poo poo. i could take better pictures with a potato

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

THC posted:

im almost completely over it at this point. i'll buy the XI or w/e if it comes to it. touch ID is such a pain

youre brain is broken. touch id is the best. hope this helps, op.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate the optics on modern day potatoes are epic as poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

infernal machines posted:

that is true and also the se's camera is a complete piece of poo poo. i could take better pictures with a potato

the se's camera is perfectly fine for when you dont feel like pulling out your actual camera.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

theres also lightroom which shoots raw and hdr raw so you get a really nice capture to work with

or the default app with hdr

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
face id is better than touch id

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stringent posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Stringent posted:

you’re really on a wrong streak lately huh?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why cant we have both

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

why cant we have both

we will in a few years when apple figures out and polishes the tech for screen-embedded fingerprint reader. right now there’s a single phone on the market which does that, and it’s a chinese android prototype

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

we will in a few years when apple figures out and polishes the tech for screen-embedded fingerprint reader. right now there’s a single phone on the market which does that, and it’s a chinese android prototype

if apple figures out touch id anywhere on the screen, bam, i'm there on launch day

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but why would they do that when face id exists and is cheap and almost works most of the time

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

but why would they do that when face id exists and is cheap and almost works most of the time

i honestly have zero experience with face id so maybe thats fine too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm not a fan, but i'm saying there's no reason for them to develop some fancy new touch id when face id exists

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i'm not a fan, but i'm saying there's no reason for them to develop some fancy new touch id when face id exists

that fancy id doesn’t exist because they had technical problems finishing it in time for ecks, iirc

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, but why would they keep developing it when they already have something that does work and doesn't require exotic new sensors?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
http://randsinrepose.com/archives/two-keyboards-at-a-bar/

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

dropping faceid would let them eliminate the notch and move one step closer to Ive's ideal featureless 1mm thick slab with the screen on one side.

yes that would mean the elimination of the selfie camera but that's a sacrifice he's willing to have you make.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:350: what if, like, instead of a fingerprint sensor that worked through the screen, you made a camera that worked through the screen, man? :350:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

definitely not reading that

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Last Chance posted:

definitely not reading that

i wish i hadn't

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

:350: what if, like, instead of a fingerprint sensor that worked through the screen, you made a camera that worked through the screen, man? :350:

you'll be happy to know apple has a patent on that

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Shifty Pony posted:

dropping faceid would let them eliminate the notch and move one step closer to Ive's ideal featureless 1mm thick slab with the screen on one side.

yes that would mean the elimination of the selfie camera but that's a sacrifice he's willing to have you make.

i suspect more and more apple basically wants to turn every product of their into the glass slabs that pass for computers in westworld

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

echinopsis posted:

mate the optics on modern day potatoes are epic as poo poo

they do have eyes

im the author who thought that people would enjoy that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you utter bell-end

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/06/27/foxconns-wisconsin-deal-riskier-for-taxpayers-than-originally-thought

quote:

Foxconn's upcoming $10 billion display factory in Wisconsin is more lucrative to the Apple supplier than first thought, with state and municipal sweeteners adding almost an extra $1 billion in benefits above an existing incentive package worth $3 billion, increasing the burden on taxpayers.

The state will be responsible for covering 40 percent of the public bonds used to finance all of the local expenses, in the event the project fails completely. 

:thunk:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

im the author who thought that people would enjoy that

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lmao

god my state is so loving dumb

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

football is literally the only thing that wisconsin has over its neighbors

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

football is literally the only thing that wisconsin has over its neighbors

we got cheese too

lmao at how a large number of those employees are going to be commuting from illinois because the border is right loving there and my dumb loving state is actually going to widen the highways to make it easier

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

is that what the giant mess of construction on i-90 close to the illinois border is?

also your cheese is available in the twin cities and chicago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

is that what the giant mess of construction on i-90 close to the illinois border is?

also your cheese is available in the twin cities and chicago

90 is too far west, 94 and surrounding is going to be torn the gently caress up tho