Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Also lol at bowling dj. Within a week you’ll be troubleshooting the bad tv displays for scoring and being told to fix the pin retrieval thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

There's an overview tutorial on the Kubernetes website, but I'm not sure if you're looking for more specific examples than that.

Hey, I have read all that!

Hot take, none of this technology from an administrators standpoint is very challenging at all. I am baffled how little the pool of possible candidates are that have used any of this stuff. If you aren't the lead architect, the most challenging things are config files for gods sake.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

Hey, I have read all that!

Hot take, none of this technology from an administrators standpoint is very challenging at all. I am baffled how little the pool of possible candidates are that have used any of this stuff. If you aren't the lead architect, the most challenging things are config files for gods sake.

Cause it’s not. Getting developer buyin is the tough part. They gotta do the real work. Monolithic app loving fucks

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

As someone who has a decade in IT the majority of my time now isn’t spent doing actual working but carefully debating, communicating and persuading other IT folks on what we ought to do.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

As someone who has a decade in IT the majority of my time now isn’t spent doing actual working but carefully debating, communicating and persuading other IT folks on what we ought to do.

the majority of my time is spent debating with other departments what IT folks ought to do

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

My job is docker 101 and informing sysadmins that your life is changing and if you can’t handle it you need to find a bank or school to work at.

Fortunately I don’t have to talk to the devs over than explaining containers are not vms and teaching basic git.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Fucks sake people. Learn git. Even Microsoft pushes that poo poo now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do containers hold VMs then? That’s how it was explained when I did a quick google search of container orchestration. I’m applying for a job at a place that uses Kubernetes. Not a position using it, but I would at least be able to answer basic questions about it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do containers hold VMs then? That’s how it was explained when I did a quick google search of container orchestration. I’m applying for a job at a place that uses Kubernetes. Not a position using it, but I would at least be able to answer basic questions about it.

Methanar has a great write up in this thread. Containers should be your smallest part of a program. Each container should talk to the other to work together. It’s not vms. It can be but that’s just now what it’s built for. Seriously just find methanars post.

E: I’m much better at explaining it verbally than written.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

jaegerx posted:

gently caress git.

Containers: processes running in the same kernel as the principle OS. In fact to the superuser they are effectively indistinguishable from other processes. They are isolated from basically the whole os.

Vm is a complete kernel image that's booted up. You could argue that the kernel image is a container to the hypervisor. But don't because anyone with a deep understanding of this stuff will quickly realize you're full of poo poo.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 27, 2018

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I wanna git my switches, container my firewalls and k8s my routers

Or not. gently caress IT

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sepist posted:

I wanna git my switches, container my firewalls and k8s my routers

Or not. gently caress IT

There’s a bowling alley dj spot open.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jaegerx posted:

There’s a bowling alley dj spot open.

Not anymore :yotj:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

H110Hawk posted:

gently caress git.

Containers: processes running in the same kernel as the principle OS. In fact to the superuser they are effectively indistinguishable from other processes. They are isolated from basically the whole os.

Vm is a complete kernel image that's booted up. You could argue that the kernel image is a container to the hypervisor. But don't because anyone with a deep understanding of this stuff will quickly realize you're full of poo poo.

Where do solaris zones fit in? They aren't quite containers, but they aren't vms

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
So much hype. So much misunderstanding. So much wrong poo poo. NoSQL in 2009, containers in 2016. Yes they can work, no they aren't a magic bullet and you should not just "choose containers". New technology with a limited application.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Where do solaris zones fit in? They aren't quite containers, but they aren't vms

Jessfraz blog. Google it. She’ll explain it better than any of us.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Today my boss reprimanded me for not answering my phone on Friday at 9pm.

The offending unanswered call was a call to my office desk phone.

When I responded by saying "I'm sorry I didn't respond but it looks like the call was to my desk phone, you can always reach me on my cell." His response was "Well we expect you to pick up."

Cooool.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Forward desk calls to your cell immediately, inform your boss you have done so and even try to figure out who called you if you are able and apologize.

Start Looking for a new job too.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

When I responded by saying "I'm sorry I didn't respond but it looks like the call was to my desk phone, you can always reach me on my cell." His response was "Well we expect you to pick up."

Cooool.

Don't offer to accept calls at 9pm without an explicit on-call responsibility

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I took a contact 10 month contact vs permanent position elsewhere because I now make double what I did before. The role has been good even if I complain about stress sometimes.

I hate contacts though. A permanent team member quit they are working on filling that spot. It Kills me a little because I want it but can't offer myself.

How does it work to get out of a contact? I know if I broke it now I believe the company would be sued if I were hired directly?

What my plan has been is to finish this contract then either get offered direct hire or move on elsewhere.

I guess I'm asking is there a way to end a contact immediately and get the directly hired without someone getting sued?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DropsySufferer posted:

I took a contact 10 month contact vs permanent position elsewhere because I now make double what I did before. The role has been good even if I complain about stress sometimes.

I hate contacts though. A permanent team member quit they are working on filling that spot. It Kills me a little because I want it but can't offer myself.

How does it work to get out of a contact? I know if I broke it now I believe the company would be sued if I were hired directly?

What my plan has been is to finish this contract then either get offered direct hire or move on elsewhere.

I guess I'm asking is there a way to end a contact immediately and get the directly hired without someone getting sued?

What grounds would they have for suing either you or the company? Also, a contracting company would never piss off a prospective client by suing them for hiring someone. That’s a good way to ensure that no company ever wants to work with you.

Most contracts will be serviced with an understanding that the company can convert the contractor to a permanent employee if they’d like that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Some times a contract includes a clause that if the client wants to hire the contracted person they have to pay a "release fee" or whatever. It's usually not invoked though, since it's dumb and unenforceable.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

jaegerx posted:

I mean, yeah but also git is a loving mess and it’s near impossible to figure out how to do things that seem simple on the surface. I just end up googling every time I need to do something more difficult than merge a local branch.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

very stable genius posted:

I mean, yeah but also git is a loving mess and it’s near impossible to figure out how to do things that seem simple on the surface. I just end up googling every time I need to do something more difficult than merge a local branch.

So you need to git gud? :downsrim:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Cooool.

Tab8715 posted:

Forward desk calls to your cell immediately, inform your boss you have done so and even try to figure out who called you if you are able and apologize.

No gently caress that, it's not your responsibility to take every measure imaginable to be reachable off-hours. These are working adults. They can figure out how to call a goddamn cell phone number instead of your office desk phone at 9 pm.

Don't let them be childish, push back hard on the caller being responsible for using the correct contact method. It's in absolutely every way not your job to fix the problem here.

"Do you expect me to pick up if you call a random number in China instead of calling me directly?"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Don’t answer the phone or work after hours unless it’s an emergency

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
Can someone link the page with the questions that an interviewee should ask? I've been searching the thread and I can't seem to find them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"As stated in my contract, my working hours are from 8am to 4pm. If you want me to be on call outside those hours we can book a meeting to discuss it and negotiate a reasonable compensation."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Are you salary? If so you are hosed.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Daily reminder that salaried does not always equal exempt.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
East coast buds, what are y'all doing with your Slack Is Down unexpected PTO?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vargatron posted:

Are you salary? If so you are hosed.

On-call hours still have to be negotiated or communicated in some way other than 'we expect you to pick up a call at 9 PM.'

And if there's a set system for on-call and it's pre-negotiated, it's the company's responsibility to maintain contact procedures or provide tools for automatically forwarding calls. It's unreasonable to expect anybody, even IT, to always be reachable on a single number. The company should provide a call tree with alternate numbers and contacts for emergencies, and email should be a viable backup communication method to on-call staff.

Calling one phone that you know the employee isn't near and not following up to confirm communication was received is unacceptable, even for entitled C-level assholes.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

On-call hours still have to be negotiated or communicated in some way other than 'we expect you to pick up a call at 9 PM.'

And if there's a set system for on-call and it's pre-negotiated, it's the company's responsibility to maintain contact procedures or provide tools for automatically forwarding calls. It's unreasonable to expect anybody, even IT, to always be reachable on a single number. The company should provide a call tree with alternate numbers and contacts for emergencies, and email should be a viable backup communication method to on-call staff.

Calling one phone that you know the employee isn't near and not following up to confirm communication was received is unacceptable, even for entitled C-level assholes.

I had the unfortunate displeasure of having a boss who expected this. We had an on-call rotation between 4 people and there was this "escalate if needed" stipulation that made the on call rotation moot because we each were divided up based on role. So if you were the Sysadmin, you got everything forwarded to you anyway.

Yes, my original post was pessimistic, but I've had that "we should be able to reach you at 9:00PM" conversation before, and the only solution was to find another job.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Vulture Culture posted:

browsing some dead gay forums

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

being stuck on hipchat :rip:

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Since I'll be looking for a new job soon (3rd stage interview on the 12th but won't take it if I'm not completely happy) how fast do you think I can learn docker and kubernetes enough to put it on my resume with every day practice? I have a VM server already set up at home I can repurpose. A month?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Captain Ironblood posted:

Since I'll be looking for a new job soon (3rd stage interview on the 12th but won't take it if I'm not completely happy) how fast do you think I can learn docker and kubernetes enough to put it on my resume? I have a VM server at home I can repurpose. A month?
Learning Docker and Kubernetes takes like a week. Understanding all the things that go into moving complex applications, especially brownfield ones, into Docker and Kubernetes, and operating it in production, takes a solid 3-6 months at least. This assumes you're running in a public cloud; there are no good network load balancer implementations for non-virtualized networks (MetalLB is self-described as alpha-quality), so there are a lot of unpleasant compromises to balance between if you're trying to do this in your own hardware in a home lab.

e: if you're building this out on your own hardware, also expect to learn at least one overlay network implementation, whether it's Calico or Flannel or whatever, and at least one distributed storage system like Ceph (though you could keep PVs on NFS if you had to).

e2: anyone who "knows Kubernetes" but has never had to teach developers how to run applications there doesn't count IMO, so also think about how you would handle evangelism and education

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 27, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Do not do this. Ask if this is how he wants you to handle it going forward and also ask what your specific responsibilities are after work hours.

Tab8715 posted:

Also do this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lets Get Patchy posted:

Can someone link the page with the questions that an interviewee should ask? I've been searching the thread and I can't seem to find them.

There should be a Joel test for sysadmins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Learning Docker and Kubernetes takes like a week. Understanding all the things that go into moving complex applications, especially brownfield ones, into Docker and Kubernetes, and operating it in production, takes a solid 3-6 months at least. This assumes you're running in a public cloud; there are no good network load balancer implementations for non-virtualized networks (MetalLB is self-described as alpha-quality), so there are a lot of unpleasant compromises to balance between if you're trying to do this in your own hardware in a home lab.

e: if you're building this out on your own hardware, also expect to learn at least one overlay network implementation, whether it's Calico or Flannel or whatever, and at least one distributed storage system like Ceph (though you could keep PVs on NFS if you had to).

e2: anyone who "knows Kubernetes" but has never had to teach developers how to run applications there doesn't count IMO, so also think about how you would handle evangelism and education

Ok, so it sounds like I can learn enough about it to be dangerous pretty quickly--I think just getting my foot in the door with simple applications first should be enough with my learning style. Thanks for the overview!