Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

skull mask mcgee posted:

i tried to be truthful on an app that was like “what is the highest salary you want?” and put NaN but that pesky validation got in the way

well yeah, try qNaN next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

hobbesmaster posted:

well yeah, try qNaN next time

1'; DROP TABLE applicants --

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have to give 2 interviews this week

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

seems dubious when 3PRs won't even begin to represent you without a number, and you can't just refuse to give one because they are idiot robotz

3rd party recruiters will lie to both ends, knowing full well that the numbers will only meet in the middle after the interview, and then they can blame it on mis-communication

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

skull mask mcgee posted:

i tried to be truthful on an app that was like “what is the highest salary you want?” and put NaN but that pesky validation got in the way

i'm not going to take a job that requires me to fill out a form on the internet to apply

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
lol so i sent an email to nudge them and got a response which was "sorry, busy week here, when can you come in for a face to face interview?"

negatives: makes them sound disorganized.
positives: at least i wasn't rejected outright? and now i have an anchoring point for negotiations if the in-person goes well

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
most companys hr departments and processes are a complete shitshow. theres no figuring them, no reading the tea leaves. i see at least three possibilities for what happened.

1 they have another candidate theyre higher on than you and are stringing you along until he either accepts or rejects them
2 some key stakeholder went on vacation or is otherwise incommunicado and they cant move forward without him
3 theyre just that big of a disorganized mess inside

dont try to figure it out. just keep applying and interviewing right up until the moment they hand you your access badge

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

True story, my boss who I interned under knew more about my job offer than the guy who "recruited" me. They literally couldn't tell me which department I was going to be working for, even though my boss told me I was re-joining my old team.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

chmods please posted:

lol so i sent an email to nudge them and got a response which was "sorry, busy week here, when can you come in for a face to face interview?"

negatives: makes them sound disorganized.
positives: at least i wasn't rejected outright? and now i have an anchoring point for negotiations if the in-person goes well

that's fuckin impossible, but it worked out

good on you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

most companys hr departments and processes are a complete shitshow. theres no figuring them, no reading the tea leaves. i see at least three possibilities for what happened.

1 they have another candidate theyre higher on than you and are stringing you along until he either accepts or rejects them
2 some key stakeholder went on vacation or is otherwise incommunicado and they cant move forward without him
3 theyre just that big of a disorganized mess inside

dont try to figure it out. just keep applying and interviewing right up until the moment they hand you your access badge

all three can be true

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The guy I interviewed today did mediocre. Maybe tomorrow will go better. He also didn't wash his hands after using the restroom according to a co-worker who saw him in the bathroom.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

mediocre is bad. not washing hands is bad. don't hire Bs.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i give my salary expectations up front now for new job opportunities. i got tired of investing 20ish hours in skype calls and email chains only to get offered 60% of what i make now. if employers balk at my number i don't want to work for them anyways

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bloody posted:

when theres a literal web form with validation that demands to not be blank i put $1

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I once got, "please enter a realistic number" after putting in $1.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I usually take my current salary (which is grossly inflated from living in tax-country scandinavia) and add 50%. So far no complaints from recruiters, so I'm wondering if I should put even larger numbers.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

huhu posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

I usually take my current salary (which is grossly inflated from living in tax-country scandinavia) and add 50%. So far no complaints from recruiters, so I'm wondering if I should put even larger numbers.

Really? I was under the impression that it was really easy to hit the programmer salary roof here. Surely the salaries are not grossly inflated compared to American (or German/Dutch/Irish) salaries, even before tax, or am I wrong?

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I've seen a place make you pick a salary range from a dropdown and not let you proceed without it. What do you do in that case?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cheque_some posted:

I've seen a place make you pick a salary range from a dropdown and not let you proceed without it. What do you do in that case?
strongly reconsider if this is a place you really want to work at, considering that theyre transparently trying to cheap-chisel you before you even fill out your employment application. what do you think their policies are going to be like when it comes time for promotion, or raises, or bonuses, or paying for continuing education?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lol if you assume that organizations behave coherently

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Maximum Leader posted:

Really? I was under the impression that it was really easy to hit the programmer salary roof here. Surely the salaries are not grossly inflated compared to American (or German/Dutch/Irish) salaries, even before tax, or am I wrong?

Higher than Irish / UK easily, but their companies actively try to gently caress developers.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

huhu posted:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
when i started looking around for a new job and going to interviews a few weeks ago i felt really confident in myself as a programmer, that i was really starting to feel like i could rely on myself to tackle almost any problem

now i feel like poo poo and like im at the edge of a nervous breakdown and i have absolutely no confidence i will get any decent job at all, i'll be stuck writing garbage tier broken webapps in javascript for eternity

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

TheFluff posted:

when i started looking around for a new job and going to interviews a few weeks ago i felt really confident in myself as a programmer, that i was really starting to feel like i could rely on myself to tackle almost any problem

now i feel like poo poo and like im at the edge of a nervous breakdown and i have absolutely no confidence i will get any decent job at all, i'll be stuck writing garbage tier broken webapps in javascript for eternity

i went through this process too. felt pretty good, interviewed a few places but nothing panned out, felt like poo poo, pushed through, now I've passed all the technical interviews for my #1 choice (after being rejected by them a couple months ago without even an interview)

keep going friend, you will find a good job. interviewing is a soul-crushing experience, it utterly blows

e: i got lazy and stopped updating my trello board but i have been rejected from ~6 places post-interview and applied to 28 more and either never got a reply or rejected based on resume alone.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 27, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i have an excellent response rate on my resume but i keep loving up interviews in various ways

i think i've learned from my mistakes though, so that is something :unsmith:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not going to take a job that requires me to fill out a form on the internet to apply

that’s cool i’m still finishing my undergrad so that’s what 99% of openings available to me want

even with a referral from an employee they still make me fill out the form

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

skull mask mcgee posted:

that’s cool i’m still finishing my undergrad so that’s what 99% of openings available to me want

even with a referral from an employee they still make me fill out the form

your first job out of college is the shittiest job hunt you will ever have in your life, hopefully

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TheFluff posted:

i have an excellent response rate on my resume but i keep loving up interviews in various ways

i think i've learned from my mistakes though, so that is something :unsmith:

Interviewing is a skill that must be practiced regularly or else you'll make silly mistakes like this when you actually do want another job. Anyway even if you're good at interviewing, half the time you'll be dead on arrival because of another candidate who is more qualified from the get go. Job hunting is dogshit.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the hardest part of interviewing is finding interesting companies to apply to.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

so i got an offer from a company/team that seemed pretty good, and it's somewhat significantly more than what i expected. obviously, this is a good problem to have, but i'm not really sure how to go about negotiating here, since the number i had in mind to negotiate UP to was a good deal smaller. anyone else gotten positively surprised by an offer? how did you handle it?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
you're gonna hate your job, just apply to the ones with the best glassdoor reviews because at least those shitholes won't work you to death on top of being something you hate

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

The Leck posted:

so i got an offer from a company/team that seemed pretty good, and it's somewhat significantly more than what i expected. obviously, this is a good problem to have, but i'm not really sure how to go about negotiating here, since the number i had in mind to negotiate UP to was a good deal smaller. anyone else gotten positively surprised by an offer? how did you handle it?

if you didn't tell them your expectations, then it is time to take their offer, crank it up 15-20%, and ask for that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

you're gonna hate your job, just apply to the ones with the best glassdoor reviews because at least those shitholes won't work you to death on top of being something you hate

lol if you think they're not just astroturfing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bloody posted:

lol if you think they're not just astroturfing
my companys breakrooms have posters in them straight-up asking people to go to glassdoor and post about what a fun exciting wonderful place this is to work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

my companys breakrooms have posters in them straight-up asking people to go to glassdoor and post about what a fun exciting wonderful place this is to work

still better than ordering hr drones to make poo poo up

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

still better than ordering hr drones to make poo poo up

this is why you shouldn't trust glassdoor reviews. i know places that i know for a fact are 100% low-paid bureaucratic shitholes yet somehow pull a 4.x+ rating on glassdoor. imo any medium+ sized company that is over 4 should be immediately suspect.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
disregard anything written by "Current Employee" pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

just skim them and see what they actually say

most reviews should have the tone “eh it’s ok I guess :shrug: