Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Splicer posted:

2 - Speak Softly
Use magics to greet the ships, advise you will be charging a toll to pass through your strait in return for services rendered. If they ask what services, say "getting rid of all the whirlpools". If someone is suicidal enough to say "what whirlpools" well you get the idea.
Sounds good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
1 Sea Bee :colbert:

Splicer posted:

2 - Speak Softly
Use magics to greet the ships, advise you will be charging a toll to pass through your strait in return for services rendered. If they ask what services, say "getting rid of all the whirlpools". If someone is suicidal enough to say "what whirlpools" well you get the idea.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tide Piercer

And whirlpools of death sound good.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Splicer posted:

2 - Speak Softly

Whirlpools of death? Guess we better name it

1 - Deadpool

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
That opens up a third question

3 - How open do we want to be?
a - Proclaim your name!
b - Don't hide, but don't name drop.
c - Obscurity is the key.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

That opens up a third question

3 - How open do we want to be?
a - Proclaim your name!
b - Don't hide, but don't name drop.
c - Obscurity is the key.

Obscurity. We're going to "lose" this outpost, we don't want the reputation of being easily routed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

3c definitely. We want to be in a much more secure lair and have some time to recover before we give the heroes the tools to come looking for us.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How much time do we have before they arrive? Could we rustle up some kind of non-sentient fake boss to puppet real quick? Just something made out of fish bits to stand on the parapets so we can shout from its mouth and later get it or something looking like it killed by heroes during the "handover".

Speaking of heroes, have we told Irwin that his king paid us to kill him?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 25, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Splicer posted:

How much time do we have before they arrive? Could we rustle up some kind of non-sentient fake boss to puppet real quick? Just something made out of fish bits to stand on the parapets so we can shout from its mouth and later get it or something looking like it killed by heroes during the "handover".

Speaking of heroes, have we told Irwin that his king paid us to kill him?

We can stay anonymous for now but having a "boss" to take the fall could be nice. Only problem being that it would have to be somewhat intelligent to fill that role, and it would thus know its being sacrificed. We may just have to let this one be fairly innocuous and let the humans worry about how it "looks".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Y'all we have hydromancy now we can just make an avatar out of the loving water when we talk to the ships

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Y'all we have hydromancy now we can just make an avatar out of the loving water when we talk to the ships

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Nephzinho posted:

We can stay anonymous for now but having a "boss" to take the fall could be nice. Only problem being that it would have to be somewhat intelligent to fill that role, and it would thus know its being sacrificed. We may just have to let this one be fairly innocuous and let the humans worry about how it "looks".

Make something like that thing that took out three heroes with the notion of not killing fellow monsters. The humans will assume the biggest baddest is the "boss"

1. Deadpool

2. Speak Softly

3. Obscurity

Toughy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 25, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1. It's a three pronged fork, it will let us control nature, it will let us make horrible sea monsters. Let's call it the Threek of Nature
2. Let's test this thing's powers out. Classic combination of raging storm and giant killer octopus, plus send our lieutenants to gank the people who can steer the ships.
3. B

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nephzinho posted:

Tide Piercer

And whirlpools of death sound good.

And stay obscure.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
[b]Don't give it a name, it's just a stick and we don't want people thinking it's too important to us.

Avatar of water to speak for us as 'the big boss' coupled with 'What whirlpools'.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Tide Piercer
Whirlpools and Tolls
Obscurity

Having a famous weapon could be useful, if we fall a powerful wizard tries to use it and we can corrupt them into a new host.

After we break a few of the ships against eachother and they realize they’re trapped we can try to get them to surrender and hand over intact ships and cargos in tribute in exchange for their lives (we will then turn them into more minions rather than letting them loose to find heroes to attack us).

Hype up a fake villain responsible. We don’t need to build a real working villain that might accidentally defeat our employers. We just need to build a convincing corpse, maybe top it with a crown.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

The Mighty Sploosh

Plan Splicer, C.

Raise a water avatar in the form of a super cool angry skull or some poo poo like that and scream doom and gloom all spooky like.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Blasphemaster posted:

Tide Piercer

Plan Splicer, C.

Raise a water avatar in the form of a super cool angry skull or some poo poo like that and scream doom and gloom all spooky like.

Yes, but have the skull be drowned sailors. Give a whole monologue of how the mana pool awoke them and now they will defend their graves / warn the living away.

This points the diviners at a fake explanation so we can stay obscure a little longer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nephzinho posted:

I was thinking a literal puppet. No brain, just a remote control interface. Final battle is us puppeting it from beside our exit portal, at some point it "dies" and we boop out of there.

A water avatar does the same job. Put a shark skull in it, give the heroes something to shoot at.

e: spooky doom and gloom might be at odds with charging a usage fee. Do we want to present to the good guys as a ravening monster or a rational extortionist on this?

Outrail posted:

Don't give it a name, it's just a stick and we don't want people thinking it's too important to us.
My alternate name was "The big stick"

Blasphemaster posted:

The Mighty Sploosh
:perfect:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 25, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1 (no name)
2 Speak Softly
3 Obscurity, backstopped with

Loel posted:

Yes, but have the skull be drowned sailors. Give a whole monologue of how the mana pool awoke them and now they will defend their graves / warn the living away.

This points the diviners at a fake explanation so we can stay obscure a little longer.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
3 B Subcontract your crew to your villain puppet.
Make your villain puppet, call them like, "Solidius Squid" or something, and have them hire you as a goon squad. Give the conspiracy loons something to chew on with a big rambling monologue full of half-hints and weird references about sea anemones.
If you think they're up for it, tell one of your lieutenants to put on some makeup and play the role. Just make sure they fall off the castle before they're sworded to death.

If we had more time and more management skill we could probably turn this place into a tax dodge.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Rockopolis posted:

3 B Subcontract your crew to your villain puppet.
Make your villain puppet, call them like, "Solidius Squid" or something, and have them hire you as a goon squad. Give the conspiracy loons something to chew on with a big rambling monologue full of half-hints and weird references about sea anemones.
If you think they're up for it, tell one of your lieutenants to put on some makeup and play the role. Just make sure they fall off the castle before they're sworded to death.

If we had more time and more management skill we could probably turn this place into a tax dodge.

We could go even deeper.

Create a puppet Minion, have it take jobs from the dark isle. Have the Minion 'hire' us to do some henchman poo poo, be very incompetent and get taken prisoner and immediately turn and start cooperating with the good guys with a sob story of having our family held hostage or whatever. Now we're on their side and with our solid management skills we rise of the ranks with a string of miraculously successful operations against the big bad puppet Miniin. Suddenly we're our own double agent in control of both sides.

I'm not sure what the Step 3: Profit, move is beyond a crushing victory. Maybe 'assassinate' the Minion and become a celebrated hero.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Capture the crews . We have a fortress, but we need minions to hold it!

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Bad Tidings
Speak Softly
Obscurity

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1) Fite Fork
2) Whirlpools and Tolls*
3) Obscurity

*Tolls may include live sacrifice.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Not Alex posted:

Bad Tidings
Speak Softly
Obscurity

I wasn't going to vote on a name, but that's too perfect. This.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Not Alex posted:

Bad Tidings

This is a very good name

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Please note that it is only possible to kill us by piercing our heart with our own enchanted trident. We should start dropping cryptic clues about this immediately.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oh man I have to switch to Bad Tidings

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Loel posted:

Oh man I have to switch to Bad Tidings

Yeah pretty much but my vote is otherwise unchanged.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Let’s put on a show!

”I shall call this trident Bad Tidings!” Sarga exclaims as Seaglass flinches away in shock. ”And now to go show these mortals what they are up against!”
She squirms to the tallest tower of the castle, from where she can see the three ships, and begins to channel a spell.

Alongside the lead ship, a great skull of water and debris rises from the sea. It keeps pace with the ship as the crew panic and rush to see what is happening. A balista bolt is fired and passes through the skull without causing any damage.
”YOU HAVE ENTERED MY WATERS, AND MUST PAY MY TOLL.” She channels her voice through the water, and it echos out through a voice made of the crashing of tides. She makes the eyes glow brightly as she speaks, and then awaits the Captains reply.
”This water belongs to the Kingdom of Lethria. By what rights do you claim these water and take tolls from it?” The man’s voice was calm, if he was not a hero, then he was at least a veteran.
I AM THE NEW LORD OF THIS REGION, AND I DEMAND TOLLS TO PROTECT YOU FROM THE WHIRLPOOLS.” ”Whirlpools? What whirlpools? This is a stable …...” the rest of his sentence is cut off as Sarga channels yet more power into the staff, a massive whirlpool opens up a short distance in front of the ship, the captain tries to make his ship turn, but there is no time before it is capsized and dragged under the water - men jump from the side, but the strength of the current drags them screaming beneath the waves. Sarga lets the spell go and the water flattens out in seconds.

The skull then moves to the next ship in line.
”DELIVER ME MY TOLL. CASTY YOUR GOLD OVER THE SIDE THEN RETURN TO TELL
YOUR MASTERS THE PRICE OF YOUR SAFETY IS A TENTH OF YOUR CARGO’S WORTH.”
The Captain of this ship just nods meekly and orders his men to throw the ships valuables over the side.
Beneath the waves, the Beavers quickly collect the gold up and move it back to the Castles treasure room. This is Sarga’s first horde, and while it is small, it’s something.

The next week is quiet. Sarga’s wound heals cleanly, and she practices with Bad Tidings. The Beavers are near completion of the work on the fittings of the castle, but shed knows it cannot be long before a proper threat arrives.

Do we
A - Tell our bosses that the castle is ready to take.
B - Continue to collect tolls.

quote:

Mana = 432/450 1 Large Manawell 307/1000
Gold = 9,000 + 1000 in the castle.

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
5 Beaverpeople. (lead by Holta.)

At the Sapphire Isle
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week. (1 crates on hand)

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Hrm.

Letting people go was good for selling the "we didn't build this, a monster did" contract. We did the job.

Now that they know there's a serious spellcaster here we can expect a real fight before they consider settling down and accepting the tax. Then again we're in a really strong position. Maybe whoever they send to stop us will have decent loot?

But if we lose the fortress we'll take a black mark on our reputation and owe the client more money than we possess (they paid 12,500 upfront, 12,500 more to be paid on completion I believe).

A.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B - Spend the next week using our 10x boosted mana to create an army of sea monsters.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

super sweet best pal posted:

B - Spend the next week using our 10x boosted mana to create an army of sea monsters.
Yes this. No need for sapience, just amphibious squishy mans. That should hopefully mean no humans needed.

We have water manipulation and monster making, what's our odds on some real elementals? Put a fish skull in all of them for a weak point with some obscure vulnerability like "explodes when struck with a stone of the earth", let our employer know to leak this info to the proper heroes.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A. Let's wrap this up, we can get choosy on the next job.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

A & B. Let's tell them the castle is ready for the taking, but that we need to collect tolls for a time to build up the mystique of things. If they just roll into the castle it will be like there was no threat, but if some more ships are terrorized and humans murdered/experimented on, their taking the castle will be seen as a heroic feat and their enemies will think twice before trying to take it for themselves. Let's have some fun experimenting with Bad Tidings and getting some new minions while we're in a relatively low pressure job - even if a serious threat comes, we can just leave. We are in a goddamn fortress, and if anyone tries to sneak in we have Irwin watching for other-rogues.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

super sweet best pal posted:

Yep. Also focus on ranged attacks. If I had to take down a water monster, I'd send a flight of battle wizards not another boat.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nephzinho posted:

A & B. Let's tell them the castle is ready for the taking, but that we need to collect tolls for a time to build up the mystique of things. If they just roll into the castle it will be like there was no threat, but if some more ships are terrorized and humans murdered/experimented on, their taking the castle will be seen as a heroic feat and their enemies will think twice before trying to take it for themselves. Let's have some fun experimenting with Bad Tidings and getting some new minions while we're in a relatively low pressure job - even if a serious threat comes, we can just leave. We are in a goddamn fortress, and if anyone tries to sneak in we have Irwin watching for other-rogues.

I like it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Nephzinho posted:

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nephzinho posted:

Yep. We need to balance between our own safety and making this look good for our client.

We could also get -really- devious and arrange to start some rumors about the 'Witch Queen Of The Waves' having some great weakness. Gives us an excuse to throw the fight that doesn't hurt the reoutation, and misdirects any serious heroes to go questing for a MacGuffin instead of coming straight for our necks.