Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's what happens to Dodo in the original WOTAN serial (The War Machines).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

It's what happens to Dodo in the original WOTAN serial (The War Machines).

Yup. Just wanders out of the TARDIS while the Doctor goes :shrug:.

Just finished Colditz. Lol at Eight using his fabulously good looks to cozy up to Klein and get the TARDIS back to Seven. :haw:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chokes McGee posted:

Just finished Colditz. Lol at Eight using his fabulously good looks to cozy up to Klein and get the TARDIS back to Seven. :haw:

Pick up the Seven audio "Survival of the Fittest" if you want to hear what happened. It's the one part ep "Klein's Story" on that release

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/survival-of-the-fittest-297

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheCyberdevil/status/1011553237625987072

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My consistent response to this kind of opinion is casual physical violence and humiliation. Is it weird that part of me wants to just beat up Ian Levine?

(note mods: not an actual threat; I am neither planning nor threatening to beat up Ian Levine.)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

large adult baby cries some more, more at 11

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ian Levine is 65 years old and he's already had one stroke, he should stop being furiously angry. Dude's literally going to kill himself from being mad about Doctor Who.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can't believe that the man from the fat time lord gif (or did he just fund its creation?) is mad about Doctor Who

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

is he tweeting like trump

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dabir posted:

is he tweeting like trump

Not with the same frequency, but with similar levels of petty vitriol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oooh.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1011716742907879425

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Interesting. Not familiar with his work and he seems mostly to have worked on shorts and docs. Looking forward to hearing his take on the theme!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

He ain't Bear McCreary but I'll take him!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Can’t wait to see the extraordinarily racist reactions to his hiring from all the same crybabies who’ve been moaning about Jodie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can’t wait to see the extraordinarily racist reactions to his hiring from all the same crybabies who’ve been moaning about Jodie.

Between Jodie, the companions, and the companions, the "Political correctness has ruined Doctor Who!" crowd are going to be so incoherently furious, they're going to sound like the Crimson King.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I just want to say - whoever helped write the Wikipedia article for the Time War, you've done the lord's work.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

And that audio really makes you think, after finding out The Doctor can subconsiously choose his face based on people he meets previously... :stonk:

Edit:

Anybody check in with Mad Larry lately?

Astroman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 27, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

I follow him on Twitter and it's mostly been politics and a little bit of soccer world cup lately from what I've seen.

Don't think I've seen anything Who related from him since his "happy about a female Doctor but cautious about it happening under this particular showrunner" take from around the time of Jodie's casting

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm actually relieved, because if Ian Levine thinks the new Who is terrible, it probably means it is really loving good :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We;ll know that Doctor Who has reached its apex when Ian Levine claims that it literally murdered his family and tries to hold BBC staff hostage, while claiming that he has written the show off and doesn't care about it anymore, so please look forward to this October, and, if you work for the BBC, consider hiring a bodyguard.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Just sent in my Big Finish Short Trips submission- I feel I probably made some key mistake but it was a fun challenge.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So long as you didn't put in a brand new companion called Laxwell Mord, who is super cool and awesome and better at everything than the Doctor, you should be fine.

P.S I am writing a submission where there is a brand new companion called Laxwell Mord, who is super cool and awesome and better at everything than the Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Your wish is my command (well, someone who has already stumbled across them on twitter)

https://twitter.com/atargaryenking/status/1011724986959257600

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Just sent in my Big Finish Short Trips submission- I feel I probably made some key mistake but it was a fun challenge.

I ended up backing out at the last moment. Besides my entire writing being wrecked when I discovered it was a short story instead of a one-part audio (:mad:), I honestly don't think I have a shot at it. I wrote my fun little Six outing that no one's ever going to look at or record, I'm happy with it :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor Falls... except he doesn't really. What was supposed to be the final episode of the Capaldi era ends up being a false start, undercutting the intended drama of the Doctor's appearance mid-regeneration at the start of the previous episode. By the time this episode aired, we already knew that there would be one more episode after this. Moffat's discovery that new showrunner Chris Chibnall wouldn't be prepared to produce a Christmas Special in 2017 saw him take on the task to ensure that what has now become a British Christmas tradition would stay in place. Admirable, perhaps, but it came at the expense of the finale, which ends up feeling stretched out and ultimately without real resolution to some of the themes of the season as a whole. As a follow-up to the wonderfully atmospheric and horrifying World Enough and Time it is disappointing. As a "final" regular season episode of both the season AND Capaldi's run as the Doctor it is disappointing.

Both these statements do feel unfair though, because the episode itself has a ton of stuff going for it and is largely enjoyable in the moment. But it is let down by the stretched out, thinning material of a showrunner who feels like he has one foot out the door, simultaneously trying to wrap everything up in a bow AND leave enough open to set the stage for yet another episode.

But while the episode might limp to its conclusion, goddamn does it look good while doing it.

This is a story of multiple competing subplots, and even with a longer running time than usual it does feel a little crowded. You have the threat of the rapidly advancing Cybermen; Bill dealing with the reality of her Cyber-Conversion; the two Masters relationship with each other AND the Doctor; the plight of Floor 507; and the Doctor's seemingly inevitable death.

I'll start with the Masters, because while the two get plenty of time their subplot still manages to feel rushed and largely secondary in spite of being a concept that could easily have carried not just an episode but an entire season. Also because it may be my favorite part of the episode. The previous episode revealed that the Master's prior regeneration was present on the Mondasian ship. Their working in concert felt like setup for an entire episode of Missy being torn between her prior self and her confused commitment to change for the Doctor's sake. That DOES happen, but largely in the background in mostly self-contained stories with only tangential relationship to the main plot of the episode.

Early in the episode, within a flashback WITHIN a flashback, we get a very quick recap of what happened after the two Masters revealed themselves. The Doctor is overpowered, knocked out and tied up so the two can gloat (and dance!). What's remarkable in this scene is just how smoothly Simm's Master fits into the Moffat era. While Simm himself was often praised, the Master in the RTD era was often criticized for being just a bit too much, too over the top, too broadly written. Moffat (almost) ends his own era as showrunner in the same way at RTD, with the Master reappearing for one last big showdown. Simm manages to maintain his gleeful rear end in a top hat troll persona without feeling overdone, and it is fun indeed to see Capaldi's Doctor - now an older, more severe figure - so casually and easily lay out EXACTLY how Simm's Master ended up in this situation - not only providing the audience with backstory without resorting to endless exposition, but demonstrating just how well he knows his old "friend".

But Simm's Master is a thing of the past, and what I most appreciate about this subplot is how quietly and simply it demonstrates how Gomez's Master (referred to as Missy from this point on for convenience's sake) has grown and developed during her run. In my initial watch, it felt like she was largely playing the straight woman or taking a secondary position to the flashier Simm. On rewatch though it becomes more and more apparent how - despite claiming to have only hazy memories of the regeneration from him to her - she is carefully taking everything into account and making connections he is either incapable of or doesn't care to make. While he revels in showing off and trying to force the Doctor into despair (ala Last of the Time Lords, she is the one who notices the pulsing antenna on the roof and grasps that the city's Cybermen are now converging on them. She is the one who takes onboard the Doctor's speech, who grasps the significance of the situation they are in, who makes the choice to consider something almost unselfish and not take the easy way out. She lets Simm take the lead so she can be in position to take advantage when necessary. While he can't help but dazzle with his unsubtle displays (after decades of repressing those instincts as Mr. Razor), she only plays along as far as is necessary to get what she wants. He taunts Bill and the Doctor, thrills to ignoring the Doctor's speeches, even cracks some (maybe) jokes about being aroused by his future self. She listens, ponders, considers and keeps her counsel to herself. When she inevitably betrays him, as of course any multi-Master story must, he appreciates it as he realizes she is just a more nuanced version of himself. Her eulogy to him as he bleeds out is excellent because of course it is herself she is talking about, the Simm Master WAS her after all, and she mourns for what she was but must now move on from.

Missy posted:

I loved being you. Every second of it. Oh, the way you burn like a sun. Like a whole screaming world on fire. I remember that feeling, and I always will. And I will always miss it.

Which makes what follows even better. Because while Missy may have grown and changed and be ready to move on... the Master hasn't yet, and he isn't. As Missy walks away to go stand and probably die alongside the Doctor... he shoots her in the back. Because gently caress growth. gently caress development. Most of all gently caress the Doctor. Her going to stand with the Doctor is the Doctor winning, and he'd rather his own future die than that. She can't help but see the funny side of that, both of them dying at the hands of the other, how could it have ended any other way. The Master lies dying as the elevator lowers down towards the basement and his old TARDIS, while Missy lies dying in the leaves knowing that not only did she kill herself, but that the Doctor will never know that he actually did get through to her. How perfect.

If only this hadn't been reduced to the background subplot of the larger episode. John Simm gets a deal of finality to his time in the revival, but I will miss Michelle Gomez who I felt still had so much more to offer to the show. There is some sense of closure at least. Not so for the Cybermen, who after a superb and chilling alternate-origin in the previous episode are reduced to the same dull and boring tin soldiers they have been for so much of their appearances in Doctor Who.

The gimmick of the previous episode was that the inhabitants on the bottom level of the ship were moving at a far faster rate than those on the top. So the creepy IV-drip patients become the classic 10th Planet Mondasian Cybermen. But then due to the bulk of this episode taking place on Floor 507 (one of the ship's solar farms), the Cybermen that attack periodically throughout the episode shift from proto-Cybermen to classic Cybermen and then finally the dull and cheap looking modern day Cybermen (skipping the "EXCELLENT!" 1980s Cybermen on the way). Following the same more=less law that plagues movie sequels and serialized television, the creepiness of a single Cyberman in the previous episode is replaced by the ineffectiveness of squads of them.

As the pressing threat that the inhabitants of 507 (only introduced in this episode, but we're meant to care deeply about their fate) face, they don't feel particularly... pressing. The farmers easily stop the initial attacks by the proto-Cybermen, and when the Doctor and Nardole show up it feels less like a final breath of hope for an under siege group at their wit's end than it does... a casual quasi-holiday before having to face the minor stress of going back to work after a long weekend. The Cybermen show up and first Nardole and later the Doctor easily fight them off while the farmers escape to another solar farm a few floors up. Attempts to explain why they can't just go up to the top floor and leave in the TARDIS don't really add up. The idea is that the Cybermen would be able to catch up to them because things move faster down there... but if they're coming up BEHIND them then the farmers leaving first mean they would escape first, surely? Maybe I just haven't correctly wrapped my head around the mechanics of the relativity of time, but for me anyway the so-called inescapable threat didn't really feel inescapable.

More to the point, by only escaping a few floors up, surely Nardole and the farmers are worse off as the next wave of Cybermen to attack will be even MORE advanced than ever?

But while the threat doesn't work, the strength of the episode really comes from the relationship of Bill and the Doctor, particularly the Doctor's guilt at his failure to save Bill, and Bill's own struggle to come to terms with the reality of her Cyber-Conversion. The latter is superbly done, as Bill awakes on Floor 507 and assumes she has been cured in some way, only to discover to her horror that it is just her mind trying to protect her self-image. She fought her programming to rescue the Doctor when the Cybermen first attacked the rooftop; she prevented the spaceship Nardole stole from being commandeered by the Masters to abandon them; she carried the Doctor to safety from the crash. As far as Bill is concerned, she IS Bill again, but her reflection and the barely restrained terror of the farmers tells a different, heartbreaking story.

This also marks a constant reminder to the Doctor of his failure. She told him not to let her die, and he joked he would try his best. His best wasn't good enough. She waited 10 years to be rescued and he missed her by hours. The two Masters took turns taunting the Doctor about that, but he knows all too well the process of Cyber-Conversion, and the writing pulls no punches about it.

Missy: Dead. Dismembered. Fed through a grinder and squeezed into a Cyberman. Doomed to spend an eternal afterlife as a bio-mechanical psycho-zombie. It was hilarious.
Master: Ten years you spent up there, chatting. You missed her by two hours.
Missy: Ripped out her heart, threw it in to a bin, and burned it all away.

The Doctor's response to this indignity, and Bill's own despair at her lot, is to point out that somehow despite all that she is still capable of producing tears. That is impossible, but "where there's tears, there's hope." He himself doesn't know what it means, but across his lifetimes he's learned that when something seems impossible, there is always another option. In the face of overwhelming odds and an impossiblity of escape of survival, he maintains his commitment to trying. That's just what he does, what he has always done, and just because his death now appears to be inevitable doesn't mean he is going to stop. But this isn't unearned, it isn't just a stock mindset that maintains regardless of anything else. The Doctor as a character thinks, feels, acts and reacts according to all the weight of everything that bears down on him. He makes a conscious choice to look at tears and see hope, and it all comes out in a desperate but defiant speech he makes to the two Masters as they prepare to abandon him and the rest to death or Cyber-Conversion.

The Doctor posted:

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because, because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun and God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do, because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind. It's just that. Just kind. If I run away today, good people will die. If I stand and fight, some of them might live. Maybe not many, maybe not for long. Hey, you know, maybe there's no point in any of this at all, but it's the best I can do, so I'm going to do it. And I will stand here doing it till it kills me. You're going to die too, some day. How will that be? Have you thought about it? What would you die for? Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand, is where I fall. Stand with me. These people are terrified. Maybe we can help, a little. Why not, just at the end, just be kind?

The Master ignores that speech (or pretends to) and Missy takes heed but still walks away. But the point is that the Doctor won't stop trying. He'll stand and fight to give others the chance to run and live. Bill makes that same choice alongside him (when Nardole threatens to kick her rear end, she quips he'll have to go down to the bottom floor and find it) and he lets her. Because he failed her, and he knows the best they can do now is stand together to prevent what happened to her happening to anybody else. Bill lives up to the promise of what he failed to teach the Master and failed (he thinks) to really drive home to Missy. She is willing to stand and fight for the hope of others - to, in the end, just be kind. This effectively marks her graduation, the end of a sadly too short tutelage. Pearl Mackie came onboard for the 12th Doctor's final season of the show and she was a revelation, and it's perhaps fitting that she ends it after a single season before she had a chance to wear out her welcome.

The Doctor thus doesn't stand alone, even if they occupy different parts of the battlefield. Thrilling to the memories of prior places where the Cybermen seemed to stand triumphant only to fall at his hands, he ignites gaslines and sends Cybermen (who seem to be operating with absolutely zero tactical and strategic oversight) flying in what sadly is a kind of cheap and rushed looking "battle" until they finally converge on him and surround him. He's blasted again and again by their attacks, in spite of his body having already been dying after an initial attack back on the rooftop in the engine-city. He fights off regeneration long enough to blow all the gaslines and take out the entire attacking force, setting back the Engine City Cybermen for a few hundred years (a few years for Nardole and the farmers?) at the expense of his own life. This is where Bill (who somehow wasn't hit by any of the explosions?) finds him, collapsing to her knees in despair to see the battle won but the Doctor fallen.

In a nice callback undercut by clunky flashbacks, Bill suddenly finds herself back in her old body, her Cyberman body collapsing to the ground behind her. Heather, the girl with the star in her eye from the first episode of the season, has found her and reconstituted her body. We already saw from that first episode she could find Bill anywhere, explaining that the tears Bill's Cyberbody could cry were the ones she left her back in Pilot. It feels a little deus ex machina, but at least Heather and her capabilities were somewhat established from the get-go. She offers Bill once again the chance for them to travel together, to show her the universe side-by-side. If Bill standing with the Doctor was her graduation, this is her OE/Gap Year/Finding Myself moment. Heather can restore her to her human body and return her to Earth, or they can travel the stars together as living water. Bill, of course, chooses the latter: she wanted to travel, she wanted to see and experience new things, and this is an extension of what the Doctor gave her. It's as good a send-off as any (which is why this should have been the LAST episode) but she knows before they go they have to do the right thing by the Doctor. They return him to the TARDIS (they leave Nardole and the others though!) and Bill says her goodbyes, leaving a tear she cries on his skin after repeating his earlier phrase that where there are tears, there is hope. Then the two of them zip off together into the cosmos, with Bill warning Heather that she isn't quite the same woman she was when they left, so maybe now SHE will take the lead.

By the way, there's an inter-racial, same sex kiss in this episode and I love that it doesn't feel tacked on or forced. This season wore its leftist ideals on its sleeve in a way that Who often didn't, and maybe that was because Moffat was leaving and didn't have to worry anymore, but I for one appreciated homosexuality not being used for titillation or (too many) broad jokes; an episode dedicated entirely to saying,"gently caress capitalism"; and the Doctor punching a racist rear end in a top hat in the face.

Here's where the rewrites seem to stand out though. The Doctor Falls is the title, and the Doctor has fallen. Bill has been saved and left, leaving behind a tear of "hope", Nardole is gone to lead the farmers to eventual safety (I presume he eventually figures out an escape for them, Who tends towards optimism after all) and we already knew the Doctor was set to regenerate both from the last episode's prologue teaser and the fact it was the end of Capaldi and Moffat's run. Everything has been set for the required final regeneration scene, for the Doctor's acceptance of his time to go... but there's a Christmas Special to do!

So after a neat callback to the Fourth Doctor's final moments being called to by prior companions, threatened by enemies, and mocked by the laughter of the Master... the Doctor sits up with a gasp, gets out a couple of prior Doctor's lines and then staggers back to his feet feeling the regeneration coming on and refusing to go. Landing somewhere, he storms out to the previously seen snowy prologue location and forces back his regeneration - he won't go, he refuses to go!

When the 9th Doctor regenerated, it was with a blast because he'd absorbed too much of the TARDIS' energy. That became the now standard "regeneration" mode, not helped by the 10th Doctor also refusing to go and holding back his regeneration for days if not weeks. When the 11th Doctor regenerated, he was at peace, and his transformation from Matt Smith to Peter Capaldi was almost instant. Now the 12th Doctor is repeating the mistakes of the 10th, not because his time has been too short but because he feels he has changed enough (he's already regenerated more than any other Time Lord other than the Master and possibly Rassilon). It feels somewhat unearned and out of character, yes 12 could be stubborn but he was also somebody who understood that things change.

Outside in the snow, alone, the Doctor and Moffat both are at the end of an era but won't leave. I love Capaldi, and I remain a big fan of Moffat, but things felt they'd reached a natural end here. The decision to do one last Christmas Special, regardless of the quality or otherwise of it, has upset the balance of the season. It is certainly an eye-opener of a cliffhanger at least, but Moffat taking on that responsibility does smack of a couple of his frequent criticisms: he never knows when to leave well enough alone, and he can't help but stamp his own mark on the show's past.

Because as the 12th Doctor declares his refusal to change, another somewhat familiar voice echoes the same sentiment. A shadowy figure emerges through the snow, demanding to know who the Doctor is. "I'm the Doctor" replies 12, to which the figure tuts. "The Doctor? Oh, I don't think so. No, dear me, no. You may be a doctor, but I am THE Doctor. The original, you might say."

Yes, that's David Bradley repeating a line said by Richard Hurndall when playing a part that belonged to William Hartnell. Season 10 of the revival ends with a callback to the end of the Hartnell era, as the 1st Doctor and the 12th Doctor meet in the aftermath of an adventure with Cybermen to face up to the reality of their unwanted impending regenerations. It's the Christmas Special, Twice Upon a Time and THAT will mark the true end of the Capaldi/Moffat era. An episode that will stretch things out just a little bit further, and bring back Nardole and Bill after they had both had exits of varying strength from the narrative. But that's something to discuss next time, in the truly, honest-to-goodness, no-take-backs this time, final episode of this era of the show.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Your wish is my command (well, someone who has already stumbled across them on twitter)

https://twitter.com/atargaryenking/status/1011724986959257600

"Never mind if he's good" really says it all. These people don't actually care if the new composer is good or not. All they care about is the fact that this new composer is a minority and that's Bad, Because Reasons

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't think it's out of character for him, really- he started his era with an uncomfortable sentiment about regeneration ("you are a broom") which continued in Heaven Sent ("burning the old me to make a new one") and grappled at various times with his identity ("there's no such thing as the Doctor"). It doesn't really arise organically from the events of the episode- though he is clearly holding back regeneration the entire time- but it definitely feels like something this character would do. One big problem I have with the following episode is that he doesn't actually make peace with the idea of regeneration, he just... decides to go ahead with it

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

jivjov posted:

"Never mind if he's good" really says it all. These people don't actually care if the new composer is good or not. All they care about is the fact that this new composer is a minority and that's Bad, Because Reasons

That guy hasn't done his research, the composer has contributed to a slew of BBC shows, he has a big presence on Soundcloud.

That Paul chap is tarring all 'White Cishet Males' with the same brush though, I'm a white cishet male and I don't hold to those views.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/senrab_nala/status/1011849715934203905

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Someone in the reddit thread said Akinola leans more towards minimalism so if he ends up being the Philip Glass to Murray Gold's John Williams then he's gonna loving whip rear end at this job

Also he tweeted a pic of the Rite of Spring score the other day :getin:

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 27, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

One big problem I have with the following episode is that he doesn't actually make peace with the idea of regeneration, he just... decides to go ahead with it

Yeah, the 1st Doctor comes to the conclusion that the future is in safe hands (or perhaps that the safe hands the future is in are his, even if he changes bodies) and moves on, but 12's line from memory is,"I guess at least one more go around won't hurt" which feels more like a "gently caress it" conclusion than anything else. His big farewell speech, nice as it is, also feels like a rehash of a lot of points he'd made in prior episodes, sometimes even quite recent ones.

As much as I dug Capaldi and didn't want to see him go, I do think the Christmas Special was an episode too far (regardless of what I feel about the episode's quality itself) - Moffat obviously didn't want to throw all the big finale moments into the last episode of the season only to do it all again a few months later, but both episodes I feel ended up suffering because of it. It's why to me at least Whittaker's appearance and her,"Aww, brilliant!" reaction felt like a real breath of fresh air. Even if I don't know how well Chibnall will do as showrunner, at least it feels like we're getting something new and different now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

When the 9th Doctor regenerated, it was with a blast because he'd absorbed too much of the TARDIS' energy. That became the now standard "regeneration" mode, not helped by the 10th Doctor also refusing to go and holding back his regeneration for days if not weeks. When the 11th Doctor regenerated, he was at peace, and his transformation from Matt Smith to Peter Capaldi was almost instant. Now the 12th Doctor is repeating the mistakes of the 10th, not because his time has been too short but because he feels he has changed enough (he's already regenerated more than any other Time Lord other than the Master and possibly Rassilon). It feels somewhat unearned and out of character, yes 12 could be stubborn but he was also somebody who understood that things change.

I know that by the end this was true, but didn't 11's regeneration start with a blast so big it destroyed a Dalek fleet?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

As much as I dug Capaldi and didn't want to see him go, I do think the Christmas Special was an episode too far (regardless of what I feel about the episode's quality itself) - Moffat obviously didn't want to throw all the big finale moments into the last episode of the season only to do it all again a few months later, but both episodes I feel ended up suffering because of it. It's why to me at least Whittaker's appearance and her,"Aww, brilliant!" reaction felt like a real breath of fresh air. Even if I don't know how well Chibnall will do as showrunner, at least it feels like we're getting something new and different now.

Moffat and Capaldi weren't originally supposed to do the Christmas special. They only stepped in to do it because Chibnall wasn't ready, and Moffat felt like if they didn't do one the show probably wouldn't get the chance to do one again in the future. That's probably why it felt a bit tacked on.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Diabolik900 posted:

Moffat and Capaldi weren't originally supposed to do the Christmas special. They only stepped in to do it because Chibnall wasn't ready, and Moffat felt like if they didn't do one the show probably wouldn't get the chance to do one again in the future. That's probably why it felt a bit tacked on.

He knows, he mentioned it in the episode review above. But I'm of the opinion that if watering down the finale is what needed to happen to secure future Doctor Who Xmas specials then frankly thats a price worth paying. I personally also dont think the rewrites hurt the episode as much as J-Ru does, but thats just a slight difference of opinion.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Diabolik900 posted:

V
"No, we actually weren't going to do the episode with Mondasian Cybermen, 2 Masters meeting for the first time on screen, the Brig's grandfather, the First Doctor, and the original TARDIS Console Room replica set from An Adventure in Space and Time, but oh twist our arms!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I know that by the end this was true, but didn't 11's regeneration start with a blast so big it destroyed a Dalek fleet?

I guess for me the difference there is that it doesn't feel like an uncontrolled eruption of force. 11 is in complete and total control, he directs and focuses regeneration energy as a weapon to destroy the Daleks, then promptly shuts it all down without breaking a sweat and casually returns to his TARDIS to wander about musing happily about how much he enjoyed being himself, before saying goodbye to Clara and then with the barest flinch he's suddenly Capaldi.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Astroman posted:

Lawrence Miles is a left wing pro diversity type; a large part of the reason people know about him is because his main reaction to the second episode of the revival was "Hey this is a bit anti-immigrant and racist, isn't it?" which everyone thought was weird in the world of 2005 but in retrospect we should have listened to him. Thinking he'd hate the new programme because it has a lady and black people involved is pretty odd

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Lawrence Miles is a left wing pro diversity type; a large part of the reason people know about him is because his main reaction to the second episode of the revival was "Hey this is a bit anti-immigrant and racist, isn't it?" which everyone thought was weird in the world of 2005 but in retrospect we should have listened to him. Thinking he'd hate the new programme because it has a lady and black people involved is pretty odd

I don't think he'd hate it politically. He always struck me as one of that old school fan who became a professional, did some EU stuff, and was left behind when some of the Wilderness Years guys like Moffat and RTD Ascended to run the franchise. He seemed to have a chip on his shoulder because he wasn't included and he had Important Opinions On The Direction Of Doctor Who. I figured he'd see Chibnall as another 80s/90s fan contemporary of his that he was again passed by for.

Like I always got the impression his feelings on Moffat were "drat that Moffat! Who does he think he is! I knew him when we were nobodys in the DWAS or shooting poo poo in the bar in the 90s! I created Faction Paradox! He's ruining Doctor Who with his crap writing! Oh God please call me to write an episode Stephen!"

Astroman fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 28, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Didn't he crack a pretty great joke once about how he sent Moffat an e-mail saying he should write any new Who books since who would be better suited, Moffat never replied but a month later Michael Moorcock was announced as writing the first revival licensed novel? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Like I always got the impression his feelings on Moffat were "drat that Moffat! Who does he think he is! I knew him when we were nobodys in the DWAS or shooting poo poo in the bar in the 90s! I created Faction Paradox! He's ruining Doctor Who with his crap writing! Oh God please call me to write an episode Stephen!"

He's never liked Moffat, but a lot of what he said about the guy -- that Moffat was an egotistical arsehole -- turned out to be true.

• Locked thread