Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Blaze Dragon posted:

:yeah:

I don't get why people want clones all of a sudden. A neat name doesn't make them any less cloney.

Because at this point it's looking like Ultimate is going all out, probably the last one made for at least a long while. If they're easier to implement than making whole new fighters, I'm all for more additions now. Nintendo has a ton of characters that would work as clones of existing fighters. Just give me a stupidly massive roster with lots of stages and I'll be content for the rest of the Switch's lifecycle and probably longer.

Is the fear is that adding someone as a clone now will prevent them from ever being changed in a future theoretical Smash game, or that people would rather see the characters be introduced as totally new fighters? I mean, obviously new fighter would be preferable, but if the decision is between "not being in the game at all, and no guarantee they'll be a totally new fighter in the next game" and "is a clone of someone else", I'll pick the clone every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bloop posted:

Ken has always been a clone of ryu but over time has been diferentiated enough to be an echo fighter. Are we back to thinking he'd use up a "slot" or some poo poo?

It's pretty unlikely that they'd create the name echo fighter and an on screen symbol and anything and then literally make only one (Daisy) and carry one over (DPit)

I think there will be a few

If he's differentiated himself, he wouldn't be an echo fighter, he'd be his own thing. See how even previously clones Pichu and Dr. Mario are not Echo Fighters. Echoes are literally clones with a cooler name, there's no differences whatsoever between Pit and Dark Pit other than colour and numbers, for example.

Also, Lucina is yet another echo fighter, so we have three now. I'm guessing there may be more, and I don't mind their existence, I'm confused about people wanting more instead of wanting characters that are actually different.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

If he's differentiated himself, he wouldn't be an echo fighter, he'd be his own thing. See how even previously clones Pichu and Dr. Mario are not Echo Fighters. Echoes are literally clones with a cooler name, there's no differences whatsoever between Pit and Dark Pit other than colour and numbers, for example.

Also, Lucina is yet another echo fighter, so we have three now. I'm guessing there may be more, and I don't mind their existence, I'm confused about people wanting more instead of wanting characters that are actually different.

There are differences in moves, that's what numbers means. Ken and Ryu are different colors but they also hit differently while having largely the same moveset. If they really wanted to be true to SF all they'd need to do is make a couple changes: Ryu's hurricane kick is a one hit attack and ken's can hit multiple times (lower knockback), Remove red fireball option from Ken and add flaming effect to dragon punch.

Tweak movement speed and weight.

Dead easy

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
because making a clone/echo fighter takes a lot less time than designing a moveset from scratch

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Bloop posted:

There are differences in moves, that's what numbers means. Ken and Ryu are different colors but they also hit differently while having largely the same moveset. If they really wanted to be true to SF all they'd need to do is make a couple changes: Ryu's hurricane kick is a one hit attack and ken's can hit multiple times (lower knockback), Remove red fireball option from Ken and add flaming effect to dragon punch.

Tweak movement speed and weight.

Dead easy

And Lucina plays significantly differently just from not having the tipper mechanic. Small changes can go a long way!

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
They should add Ken AND Akuma

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

No Echo Fighters. Instead, a bunch of almost Echo Fighters.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

The Bloop posted:

Are we back to thinking he'd use up a "slot" or some poo poo?

Yes, because switch cartridges are very tiny and now that Ridley's hogging so much space there isn't enough room for more clones, duh

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't get why people want clones all of a sudden. A neat name doesn't make them any less cloney.

I don't get why not. It's another character with different costumes and some slightly different (and maybe more suited to a different players) mechanics. It's not like if we get 4 or 5 more echo characters we could have instead gotten 1 new fighter, it probably takes 5% of the dev time to make an echo fighter since you're usually just tweaking numbers and creating a new model. I guarantee the bulk of the dev work goes into creating and troubleshooting all the animations and programming new and unique special move properties (especially if you do something actually interesting like Villager's pocket, which had to be insane to plan out and program and troubleshoot).

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I will take all the echo fighters I can get

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I mained Lucina last Smash so uh

I really just want characters I like in Smash, whether they have a completely unique play style has always been irrelevant for me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also a reminder that Ganondorf, Falco, Pichu, Dr. Mario, Roy and Young Link were all able to be put in place of King Dedede in Melee

Dev time for a single character goes a long way with clones

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Over There posted:

Only Echo fighter I want is Funky Kong

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Over There posted:

I feel like we’re going to get more echo fighters than complete newcomers and I’m okay with that.

https://twitter.com/allsourcegaming/status/1012003646148575232?s=21
Sakurai‘s new Famitsu column came out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What mechanical difference does daisy have

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

glitchwraith posted:

Next to what character's are in, the thing I care about most (because I'm dumb) is character colors/costumes! Here are my thought's so far on what I'm likely to use.

Bayonetta: Haven't played her game, so unsure what to pick. Probably go with green, which I uses the most in Sm4sh.
Bowser: Blueshell come to life! Though I might do grey as well. Will need to see them in action.
Cloud: Suffers from 3rd party "meh" choices. I guess movie teal or purple, not that they vary much.
Corrin: I love her orange armor. Never cared for her male skins.
Donkey Kong: Green sloth Kong! Though yeti is always tempting.
Fox: I really like the black jacket with the green highlights.
Ganon: Probably stick with the smurf look.
Ice Climbers: Lemon & Lime!
Ike: I prefer the old skin to the one with the giant pauldron, but can't decide what color I like. Will have to see them in action.
Inkling: The green skull is the clear winner, though I like the look of the navy ink.
Kirby: Classic black & white.
Link: While I'm a little disappointed Fierce Deity is missing his chest plate, it surprisingly looks like the costume I wear the most in BOTW, so I'll stick with that.
Little Mac: The Hooded Wireframe is back! Favorite skin in the whole series.
Mario: I like the new Wedding and Builder outfits, but will probably still with Amerio. I love that ugly pattern.
Marth: I can never decide on him. I guess the purple cape? Kind of don't care.
Mega Man: Grey and Yellow for that construction feel.
Mewtwo: Still disappointed the proper green from Melee is still gone. Guess I'll settle for cyan.
Ness: Probably bumble bee, but am considering the tile pattern.
Pac-Man: Oven mitts, cause your going in the fire!
Pikachu: I mourn losing the goggles (hopefully to Pichu) but am happy Libre is here to smash!
Pit: Probably stick to blue wings.
Pokemon Trainer: Wish there where more images of the pokemon. Probably blue, as that's the Charizard I used in Sm4sh.
Ridley: Need to see what they do with Meta Ridley. With the current options, I'm liking the silver with green accents and the red snes boxart.
Ryu: Meh karate man. Grey? Black?
Samus: If Dark Samus alt is gone, she better be an echo. Probably go with the fusion suit in it's place.
Sheik: The vaguely Tetra pallet, cause ninja pirates are cool.
Snake: Either jaguar or red to hide in the explosions.
Sonic: More meh. Gold rings? Silver? Glowy?
Villager: Four Ball tee looks like me in Animal Crossing.
Zelda: I think I like the red brunette waifu best.

Saving opinions on the rest, which weren't in the demo, until we get more pics or info.

I really liked this! Can't wait for part 2

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

The Bloop posted:

Ken has always been a clone of ryu but over time has been diferentiated enough to be an echo fighter.

An Echo fighter is a character with precisely the same moveset as another character. They ARE clones. If your moveset is different from the base character, you're not an echo fighter.

Also I think Ken's moveset in the most recent Street Fighter is very different from Ryu's.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 27, 2018

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

We don't know how Daisy is different from Peach yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm tempering my expectations for maybe 2 or 3 more brand new newcomers (still carrying the simon Belmont torch, since every other part of that leak came true...) and maybe 6-8 echo fighters. Dark Samus, Shadow (man, Echo fighters are a great place to stick those "edgy clones of protagonists), Ken, a couple others

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
shes going to have an OP taunt

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shadowlyger posted:

An Echo fighter is a character with precisely the same moveset as another character. They ARE clones. If your moveset is different from the base character, you're not an echo fighter.

Ken's moveset differentiations can deadly fit under the Echo banner. Add some fire effects, change a single hit to a multi hit, maybe a unique final smash, bing bang boom

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Over There posted:

shes going to have an OP taunt

Is it too early to claim a main

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Countblanc posted:

What mechanical difference does daisy have

I've heard her sideb has either a downward knockback angle or a spike hitbox, and a double rainbow with her uair.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alxprit posted:

We don't know how Daisy is different from Peach yet.

more sass

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Daisy better not pick turnips. She wasn't in Mario 2!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Suspicious Cook posted:

Daisy better not pick turnips. She wasn't in Mario 2!

She picks the decapitated heads of the Mushroom Kingdom Aristocrats

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Hellioning posted:

No Echo Fighters. Instead, a bunch of almost Echo Fighters.

It's called "Luigification", OP

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

I've heard her sideb has either a downward knockback angle or a spike hitbox, and a double rainbow with her uair.

double rainbow...

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

she's going to pull up sports equipment from the ground

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Put menat in instead of Ken

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shadowlyger posted:

Removing the second set of inputs to give ryu the red fireball instead of blue, which you can only do if you use the SF inputs rather than the Smash style, is a very minor change.

This is less of a change than Dark Pit's over-B

Shadowlyger posted:

Also I think Ken's moveset in the most recent Street Fighter is very different from Ryu's.

No one knows because no one played it. Nobody has nostalgia for modern SF.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

What if the Simon Belmont was the fake part of the leak so that Nintendo would know who leaked what?

Also, my dream newcomers list is: Twintelle, Shovel Knight, Funky Kong, Sami and Octolings. I'd also like Geno but only because he feels like part of the Smash canon at this point despite being barely adjacent. He can be an assist trophy for all I care.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I hope they put in mallow but not geno

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The only characters I really want are Waddle Dee, Simon Belmont, and a new DK rep (Cranky, Funky, Dixie, all would be fine). I'll accept anyone, and I admit, I kind of want Jack Frost after the idea of a Persona character (or, more accurately here, a SMT character) came up, but I fully realize that's a long shot and most likely not happening, sad hee-ho.

Simon basically feels like he has to be in now, which is good because Castlevania deserves representation with how influential it's been and because it has some history with Nintendo. Waddle Dee is just a long-standing dream that refuses to die, but of which I have no real hopes will come true because Sakurai refuses to use any Kirby that isn't his own, and Bandanna is very much a modern Kirby guy, even if he's the best guy. I'd accept Marx too though, and that's a Super Star character!

But c'mon, no more DK characters is silly. THE Nintendo franchise is a spinoff of Donkey Kong! You'd think it'd get more love. There's so much to capitalize on there, yet it keeps getting ignored. It's sad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I hope the next big Smash Update we get goes over some single player stuff...I hope some iteration of Smash Run is in.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe microsoft could rep a character from Killer Instinct since it was on Nintendo Ultra 64

I still have the soundtrack CD

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I feel like Geno may still have a chance since Sakurai said he wanted him in when he was asked about the Geno Mii costume.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

slev posted:

Tbh, I want those boys and the rest of the SMRPG crew to become regular Mario characters.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

slev posted:

Mallo from Pushmo. Agreed. I forgot I wanted this but now I want it again. It is the only fighter I have wanted that Nintendo has not given me.

keep whatever the hell is going on with these boobs out of Smash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Only new DK rep should be DK Jr. Just like Pichu < Pikachu.