Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kazinsal posted:

White Kibble is described something like "the unholy crossbreed of mushrooms and chicken" in one of the books.

I suspect belter food is just disappointing and they've just embraced it in the naming.

Martians can't handle the food because it's so exotic. I'm imagining they taste like Thai food combined with Ethiopian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Baronjutter posted:

Humans are really really not suited to zero or low-g environments. We don't know exactly where the cut off is for long term living. Could humans function fine long term at .3g? .6? Or maybe when all things are said and done we need 1g to not suffer any ill effects.

This is why colonizing the moon or mars is a really bad idea. You are stuck with the gravity there, which is very likely extremely bad for your long term health.

Okay, so this is from a few pages ago, but it's pretty achievable to have earthlike gravity on the moon.
https://youtu.be/1P_zAJ1xNos

Something this video fails to mention, a huge something at that, is the reason why you'd build spin gravity things on a moon or a planet instead of free floating in orbit. And that is that you build it underground. A few meters of rock is free radiation shielding, as well as a protection against meteors.

quote:

the future will all be various spinnin' things.
This bit is correct though. The non stupid was to colonise Eros and Ceres is to hollow them out and put a bigass spinning drum inside.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
So somebody mentioned the dating profiles in S1 being all pansexual vegan atheists (lmfao yes, yes they are) but OH MY GOD the sidebars.

One of the VFX people was REALLY burned out on OkCupid when they wrote those profiles. I don't wanna do screencap-zoom-enhances in photoshop right now, but holy poo poo that is some brutally sarcastic Trying-Real-Hard-To-Not-Look-Tryhard filler copy.

e; The guy who's the info courier Miller uses to follow the thread of the case--who's the only straight atheist vegan in the bunch, fwiw--wrote two paragraphs about how he's sorry he's not gay. He's really really sorry, he's just not into dudes that way. It really just makes it more special when you find someone you do connect with! He's so sorry. Guys really like sarcastic humor btw. And then the last two paragraphs are the copy-pasted advice from an internet site on good dating profile templates that he forgot to delete.

they're ALL like that. its SAVAGE!!!

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 27, 2018

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Toast Museum posted:

What a terrible burden, tapping two extra buttons to accommodate people who have asked for book people to tread lightly.

We need more folks like this and less like that other guy. In society in general I mean.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Groetgaffel posted:

Okay, so this is from a few pages ago, but it's pretty achievable to have earthlike gravity on the moon.
https://youtu.be/1P_zAJ1xNos

Something this video fails to mention, a huge something at that, is the reason why you'd build spin gravity things on a moon or a planet instead of free floating in orbit. And that is that you build it underground. A few meters of rock is free radiation shielding, as well as a protection against meteors.

This bit is correct though. The non stupid was to colonise Eros and Ceres is to hollow them out and put a bigass spinning drum inside.

Yeah it's possible, but it's going to be so much more expensive to build these huge underground spinning cities/habitats on the moon when you could do it so much cheaper in space. Space is like a nice flat grassland with ample nearby resources compared to the gravity wells and terrain of non-earth bodies. Sure we could build a city at the top of a mountain or in the middle of a jungle or the bottom of the sea, but why when there's so much cheaper and more economically attractive real-estate? And unlike earth, space is never going to fill up, so you're never going to need to settle planets/moons outside of very specialized settlements.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Magic drugs aside, if you do free floating habitats you're still going to have to coat them in like a meter of lead if you don't want space cancer.

If you build on the moon, presumably that would be in conjunction with helium 3 extraction or something, or regular old mines.

Same for asteroid mining. If you want to strip mine asteroids, why not hollow it out to get whatever ore you can find in it and then put a centrifuge in the cavity.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Because capitalism

No, seriously. All of that poo poo is expensive, uses up resources and the fuel required to transport those resources, and - here's the important part - the Earth is desperately overpopulated. The Holden farmstead is one of the last pieces of undeveloped land on the entire planet, and you can see a megacity filling the entire horizon in the outdoor establishing shot in Season 1, in loving Montana. The cheapest and most abundant thing in the Expanse-universe economy right now is human lives, so there is no incentive for anyone in power to make any special effort to preserve them. Just stick them out there on rocks with the cheapest bare-minimum life support technology, whatevs, if they die we'll just send new ones.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
That's probably the Calgary Sprawl, having finally absorbed all of southern Alberta and its communities as new neighborhoods, and being directly on, or even crossing, the former Canadian/US Albertan/Montana(ian?) border.

Still the single largest (non-metropolitan) city by square kilometer footprint in the world (despite only a million and a half people living here (geez, I remember when it was literally half that))! The sprawl cannot be contained.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Groetgaffel posted:

Magic drugs aside, if you do free floating habitats you're still going to have to coat them in like a meter of lead if you don't want space cancer.

My understanding is water can be used for shielding just fine and should be pretty easy to procure if you are building out of space stuff.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

EimiYoshikawa posted:

That's probably the Calgary Sprawl, having finally absorbed all of southern Alberta and its communities as new neighborhoods, and being directly on, or even crossing, the former Canadian/US Albertan/Montana(ian?) border.

Still the single largest (non-metropolitan) city by square kilometer footprint in the world (despite only a million and a half people living here (geez, I remember when it was literally half that))! The sprawl cannot be contained.

Australia has the same approach to city "planning", instead of all these dense towering megacities riffing off Kowloon, one day I'd like to see a grim dark future based on megasuburbia and FIFO rosters just to get to work.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

30 billion people on Earth gives you a global density about 2/3 that of the Philippines. Sprawl like that would assume cheap energy beyond what we currently have in the way of cheap oil.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_density

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They mention in the books that Earth cities have fusion plants. They also mention old solar power stations being disassembled.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Yak of Wrath posted:

Australia has the same approach to city "planning", instead of all these dense towering megacities riffing off Kowloon, one day I'd like to see a grim dark future based on megasuburbia and FIFO rosters just to get to work.

I feel like the judge dredd universe is the closest thing to this with the sprawling megacities. I really dig the megasuburbia concept though and am an underproductive illustrator/creative type. Think I just found a new concept to explore.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

Because capitalism

No, seriously. All of that poo poo is expensive, uses up resources and the fuel required to transport those resources, and - here's the important part - the Earth is desperately overpopulated. The Holden farmstead is one of the last pieces of undeveloped land on the entire planet, and you can see a megacity filling the entire horizon in the outdoor establishing shot in Season 1, in loving Montana. The cheapest and most abundant thing in the Expanse-universe economy right now is human lives, so there is no incentive for anyone in power to make any special effort to preserve them. Just stick them out there on rocks with the cheapest bare-minimum life support technology, whatevs, if they die we'll just send new ones.

Oh absolutely. This is where the idea of spinning up asteroids for gravity shows how silly it is. It is, alien goo aside, the least believable thing in the show.
Spinning an asteroid up takes literally orders of magnitude more energy and effort that drilling a hole in it and and installing a drum. Or just bolt a bunch of spinning rings to the surface if you're cheap.

Yes, spinning Eros to provide 0.3g is technically possible. It would require that you
A) somehow convert all, or at least most of the asteroid's mass to basalt fiber. Regular old rock would rip itself apart.
B) sink absurd amounts of energy into creating the spin. Like we're talking a dozen Saturn V's firing at full tilt for a decade straight. Sure, less of a problem when Epstein drives exist, but that delta-v is better spent doing almost anything else.

Goon illectro made a video about it back during season 1
https://youtu.be/gU9dCWY7G2M

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I posted it upthread if you care to click on my ?, but suffice it to say it's ground up mushrooms with a bunch of red spices.

Have you actually tried this? I clipped that when you posted, but there was no way I was getting my family to eat any of that. Well, they are out of town this week and I am getting tired of eating big thick juicy sous vide steaks perfectly seared on the grill every night. I was thinking of giving this a go. I just want to know if I should order a pizza before I start cutting up mushrooms.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

dog nougat posted:

I feel like the judge dredd universe is the closest thing to this with the sprawling megacities. I really dig the megasuburbia concept though and am an underproductive illustrator/creative type. Think I just found a new concept to explore.
See also: The Sprawl

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Cas Anvar talks about amazon saving the show and what to expect tonight, and from season 4.

quote:

Q: What can we expect tonight?
Anvar: Well, I can't say, since that would be telling. But you will be blown away by the finale. This closes one chapter, and Season 4 is almost like a new story.

quote:

(Chrisjen) Avasarala (played by actress Shohreh Aghdashloo) will be let off the chain. It's hard to get the real Avasarala in a show controlled by the TV code.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Groetgaffel posted:

Water works well. Which you already need anyway. Your water storage tanks are radiation shielding.

quote:

Any guest stars you want to see?
Anvar: ... Wil Wheaton would be great.

Oh God no.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 27, 2018

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

quote:

(Chrisjen) Avasarala (played by actress Shohreh Aghdashloo) will be let off the chain. It's hard to get the real Avasarala in a show controlled by the TV code.

My body is ready.

Seriously like just give me one full episode of her just yelling hilarious profanities at everyone around here, like full metal jacket style. Just nonstop.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

My body is ready.

Seriously like just give me one full episode of her just yelling hilarious profanities at everyone around here, like full metal jacket style. Just nonstop.

:agreed:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

My body is ready.

:same:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Phanatic posted:

Water works well. Which you already need anyway. Your water storage tanks are radiation shielding.

Oh God no.

Oh my god please let Wil Wheaton be a certain Martian admiral for the nerd-tears it would cause... :cawg:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm really impatient for will wheaton to get me tood or something because holy poo poo I can't stand him

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Grand Fromage posted:

They mention in the books that Earth cities have fusion plants. They also mention old solar power stations being disassembled.

Great, now I know that earth has electricity. Any other basic services you want to spoil? Do they have a garbage day?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Speaking of spoilers: :ssh:
(Preview for tonight)
https://twitter.com/casanvar/status/1012040630057553926?s=21

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(Preview for tonight)

OH poo poo

OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ohhh poo poo she done got Darth Maul'd?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 27, 2018

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Baronjutter posted:

Ohhh poo poo she done got Darth Maul'd?

Thanks rear end in a top hat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Don't call Cas an rear end in a top hat

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

You're just going to have to live with the knowledge that she's getting cut in half and dumped into a reactor shaft

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

relax, the red/black face paint will probably just be for the finale

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold of Cas to publicly tweet a picture of Drummer with her double-ended light saber, that doesn't show up until book 12 in the novels. It was a behind the scenes photo so no effects of course, you'll still get to enjoy the surprise of what colour her blade is (or could each blade be a different colour???)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hosed up that Drummer is a crimelord now

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

(Preview for tonight)

I'm calling Bull.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm calling Bull.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Extremely bold move to bring up book 9 material when Drummer kills Qui Gon

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
This doesn't make a lot of sense. 30 billion people is four times current population, but that wouldn't require developing literally every spot on Earth into an urban shithole. If an order of magnitude more square miles of developed space is still leaving an insane amount of untouched land. The Earth is pretty big you guys.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AlternateAccount posted:

This doesn't make a lot of sense. 30 billion people is four times current population, but that wouldn't require developing literally every spot on Earth into an urban shithole. If an order of magnitude more square miles of developed space is still leaving an insane amount of untouched land. The Earth is pretty big you guys.

It's not all urban shithole. Holden's parents have a big farm in Montana, presumably that's not the only green place left on the planet. I just get the impression that it's not cheap to live outside of the urban hellholes (the books mention that the 8 adults having 1 child gave enough tax breaks for them to afford the farm)

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

This is what I was getting at, unless people on non-Basic are taking up a ton more land per person than we are now or people on Basic live in detached suburban homes, you shouldn’t be seeing that kind of sprawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah resource distribution aside, if you packed Americans into a city as densely as Japanese people manage to cram into Tokyo you could fit the entire country's population in a single state. And not one of the big ones.