Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

For some reason, my Google news feed will give me posts from the Criterion Reddit page. I don't even browse Reddit. This got posted today:

Cool!

Then I wondered how true the stereotype of redditors complaining about reverse racism was and scrolled down...

Oh man I haven't seen or read Raisin in the Sun since I was in middle school back in 2007 or so. That would be a nice one to revisit, especially considering how the last few years have gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally finished watching everything on A Hollis Frampton Odyssey. I found the "pans" to be curious since they're awkward on a home video format, but his whole Magellan project would have been perfect for something like YouTube.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like we're also getting upgrades of My Man Godfrey and Scenes from a Marriage in September.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Detective No. 27 posted:

For some reason, my Google news feed will give me posts from the Criterion Reddit page. I don't even browse Reddit. This got posted today:

Cool!

Then I wondered how true the stereotype of redditors complaining about reverse racism was and scrolled down...

Is It the version starring jerri blank and an all white cast?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like we're also getting upgrades of My Man Godfrey and Scenes from a Marriage in September.

fuckin a

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

September titles:

Cold Water
A Raisin in the Sun
Andrei Rublev
My Man Godfrey
Scenes from a Marriage (Blu-ray upgrade)

Andrei Rublev will have both the 185 min and 205 min cuts from new 2K restorations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm not as in love with Andrei Rublev as some people but there's no way I'm passing on another Tarkovsky Criterion.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
my man godfrey is pretty good

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

my man godfrey is pretty good

How dare you? It is the greatest comedy every made!

Other opinions are available, of course.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Egbert Souse posted:

September titles:

Cold Water
A Raisin in the Sun
Andrei Rublev
My Man Godfrey
Scenes from a Marriage (Blu-ray upgrade)

Andrei Rublev will have both the 185 min and 205 min cuts from new 2K restorations.

Feels like one of those months where each release is an instant buy.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Steen71 posted:

How dare you? It is the greatest comedy every made!

Other opinions are available, of course.

i last saw it 10 years ago drunk and all i remember was i laughed a bunch

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hector Beerlioz posted:

i last saw it 10 years ago drunk and all i remember was i laughed a bunch

i also have similar recollections with Sullivans Travels

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ace in the Hole and Rififi are getting regular Blu-ray editions in October. The existing editions are dual format.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Does the Rififi blu have any extras the dvd didn't. Ive got my old disc and I like the movie a lot but im good having it on just dvd.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Does the Rififi blu have any extras the dvd didn't. Ive got my old disc and I like the movie a lot but im good having it on just dvd.

Looks like same extras other than losing production notes on the Blu-ray. Arrow's UK edition, though, adds a 24 minute intro and a 37 Q&A with Jules Dassin. The Criterion only has a 30 minute interview and the trailer.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

i also have similar recollections with Sullivans Travels

It's often funny, but it's more of a message film, and parts of it are pretty despressing.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Steen71 posted:

parts of it are pretty despressing.

thats what i was laughing at

e: also now im feeling cheated out of 7 min of Jules Dassin interview.

ee: speaking of Dassin, The Naked City owns

Hector Beerlioz fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 18, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the summer B&N sale starts this Friday.

What's on everyone's list for this round?

So far, I'm definitely picking up A Matter of Life and Death, Sex Lies and Videotape, The Color of Pomegranates, and Elevator to the Gallows. Also thinking of getting the Von Sternberg/Dietrich set and Mishima.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Where'd you hear that? It's always started on a Tuesday in July.

Also, how often does Criterion.com have their flash sales? I just got a tenbux giftcode for being a good customer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Where'd you hear that? It's always started on a Tuesday in July.

Also, how often does Criterion.com have their flash sales? I just got a tenbux giftcode for being a good customer.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=306825

I got :10bux: as well. I would use it to get the House t-shirt, but they're out of everything but x-small and small. :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

So far, I'm definitely picking up A Matter of Life and Death, Sex Lies and Videotape, The Color of Pomegranates, and Elevator to the Gallows. Also thinking of getting the Von Sternberg/Dietrich set and Mishima.

Looking at

Midnight Cowboy
Women In Love
Before Trilogy
Squid and the Whale
The New World
Inside Llewyn Davis
Persona
Certified Copy

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m thinking

Election
Squid and the Whale
Seven Samurai
Scanners
Being John Malkovich
Videodrome
Rosemary’s Baby

I’ve never seen Scanners or Being John Malkovich, but why not pull the trigger on em?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I pretty much only collect horror/thriller/sci-fi stuff now, and I already own most of what I would want, but I’m thinking of these:

Dressed to Kill
Personal Shopper
Seconds
The Phantom Carriage
The Vanishing

Also there are some that I already own (non-Criterion versions) that I’d like to upgrade:

Night of the Living Dead
Silence of the Lambs
Scanners

Unfortunately I can’t afford them all, probably need to limit myself to four of them. Any suggestions?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You must must must grab that Night of the Living Dead blu ray. It's like watching a brand new film, I was appreciating Romero's abilities on a bunch of levels that I hadn't seen before with the older lovely transfers.

I'd say skip Dressed to Kill, it's mediocre and really only has as much recognition as it does because of De Palma's name being attached to it. But imo it's far from top-tier De Palma.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Phantom Carriage and The Vanishing are essential if you've never seen them before.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One of The Criterion Channel’s July double features will be The Seventh Seal and Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

You must must must grab that Night of the Living Dead blu ray. It's like watching a brand new film, I was appreciating Romero's abilities on a bunch of levels that I hadn't seen before with the older lovely transfers.

Awesome, thanks!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Phantom Carriage and The Vanishing are essential if you've never seen them before.

Yeah I’ve never seen either. I’ve almost picked up The Phantom Carriage during the last couple of sales but always ended up going with something else.

So, probably going with NotLD and those two, plus I’ve heard good things about Personal Shopper and would like something recent, I think that’ll be my fourth. Thanks guys.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Personal Shopper is pretty unique. I'm not sure I'd recommend someone blind-buy it but if you've done some research on it you can probably predict for yourself if you'd like it.

Edit: it's a perfect movie to recommend to people who say Stewart can't act though, it's probably her best performance to date.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 28, 2018

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Egbert Souse posted:

Provisional list:

Repulsion
House
Zazie dans le métro
Red River
An Actor's Revenge
Manila in the Claws of Light

I can wait 'til November for that Dietrich set, while also earmarking Andrei Rublev and The Tree of Life when they come out later in the year.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Personal Shopper is pretty unique. I'm not sure I'd recommend someone blind-buy it but if you've done some research on it you can probably predict for yourself if you'd like it.

Edit: it's a perfect movie to recommend to people who say Stewart can't act though, it's probably her best performance to date.
I hope the release of Cold Water means they're working on getting more early Assayas. Irma Vep could really use a blu-ray realease.

Not sure what I'm buying yet but I've got about $100 put away for the sale so it should be fun. Everyone please buy Dragon Inn we need more wuxia from Criterion.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, I blind-bought Hobgoblins, it can't be worse than that

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Egbert Souse posted:

One of The Criterion Channel’s July double features will be The Seventh Seal and Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey

People forget (or don't realize) that The Seventh Seal has a good amount of laughs in it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Basebf555 posted:

I'd say skip Dressed to Kill, it's mediocre and really only has as much recognition as it does because of De Palma's name being attached to it. But imo it's far from top-tier De Palma.

But try out Blow Out. Basically, every great trick De Palma does in DTK he does better in Blow Out. And without the odd dialog explaining what it means to be transgender using a 1980s understanding of the idea.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Cemetry Gator posted:

But try out Blow Out. Basically, every great trick De Palma does in DTK he does better in Blow Out. And without the odd dialog explaining what it means to be transgender using a 1980s understanding of the idea.

oh yeah, I already have and love Blow Out, which is why I was interested in DTK in the first place. I'd still like to see it at some point, but I'll skip getting the Criterion

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
If you like Blow Out, check out the movie it’s based on: Blow Up. Really good, super minimal. Just a really neat movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

If you like Blow Out, check out the movie it’s based on: Blow Up. Really good, super minimal. Just a really neat movie.

People around here tend to be pretty down on Antonioni but I love Blow Up. And for horror fans, Blow Up stars David Hemmings, the lead from Deep Red.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Dead Man
Le Samourai
Paris, Texas
Naked
F for Fake
Stalker
Solaris
Twin Peaks: FWWM
The Virgin Suicides
Woman in the Dunes

I might go nuts and get more, but those are the films that I feel like I absolutely have to own.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basebf555 posted:

People around here tend to be pretty down on Antonioni

That's just Magic Hate Ball's bad inflence. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I pretty much only collect horror/thriller/sci-fi stuff now, and I already own most of what I would want, but I’m thinking of these:

Dressed to Kill
Personal Shopper
Seconds
The Phantom Carriage
The Vanishing

Also there are some that I already own (non-Criterion versions) that I’d like to upgrade:

Night of the Living Dead
Silence of the Lambs
Scanners

Unfortunately I can’t afford them all, probably need to limit myself to four of them. Any suggestions?

The Vanishing is one of my favourite Criterion blind buys period. I wasn't sure what to make of Personal Shopper at first but it got me thinking about it for a good long while and K-Stew is great in it. Need to give Seconds another go, I like Frankenheimer but this was an odd one for sure.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I watched Blow Up twice and hated it more the second time.