Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is that four hours round trip or... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Each way. Doesn't bother me too much. I love a long drive because I get to be in my own head to rehearse, write, and rewrite.
And the crew down there were appreciative of the effort so they swung me some gas money.

I basically saw it more as an opportunity to network with other comics from a sister city. I should be able to get a paid gig or two out of it down the track.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 11, 2018

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Four hours isn't that bad. Sucks that it's unpaid, but if you know that they have paid gigs, it's probably worth the effort.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Four hours is basically the drive to LA for a show from anywhere in California (sure sometimes in the middle of the night @ 120mph on the I-5).

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Just drove two hours for my first headlining gig. :D

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Sataere posted:

Just drove two hours for my first headlining gig. :D

That's awesome! How did it go?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

That's awesome! How did it go?

It went well. I only had to do 20 minutes, but I didn't get lit until 30, then realized on the car ride that I didn't do half my jokes.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Sataere posted:

It went well. I only had to do 20 minutes, but I didn't get lit until 30, then realized on the car ride that I didn't do half my jokes.

Niiiice.

I go to do my first headline too! It was only a 1 hour drive but it was a great night. The crowd was way older than I'm used to. But the jokes seemed to carry well.
Now I'm locked in and freaking out about my first Fringe Fest in August. Doing a full hour!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Why do you put in face time at clubs you aren't regularly working? Because if an opportunity arises and you aren't there, somebody else might capitalize. I will be doing my first full feature spot at Zanies tonight because I was there yesterday. Feeling pretty good about life right now.:D

Bompacho posted:

Niiiice.

I go to do my first headline too! It was only a 1 hour drive but it was a great night. The crowd was way older than I'm used to. But the jokes seemed to carry well.
Now I'm locked in and freaking out about my first Fringe Fest in August. Doing a full hour!

Congrats on the festival. I really need to get an updated clip and get my submission on next season.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Sataere posted:

Why do you put in face time at clubs you aren't regularly working? Because if an opportunity arises and you aren't there, somebody else might capitalize. I will be doing my first full feature spot at Zanies tonight because I was there yesterday. Feeling pretty good about life right now.:D

Congrats on the festival. I really need to get an updated clip and get my submission on next season.

Luckily this one is all self organised. (Smaller, newer fest, volunteer run). So entry is all but guaranteed Mostly I'm just taking an hour of material just to experience it since the registration is only $25. I expect I will lose money on it but hopefully it opens up a few more doors and motivates me to get a bit more out there.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
After not getting any bookings all summer, I finally got off my rear end and got a show put together in Yankton, SD. This'll be the...third show I've set up, and the first one where the performers get paid. Now I just have to...wait two months. Bah.

I also just remembered that today is the deadline for the Beast Village festival in Des Moines. I should probably apply for that.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

After not getting any bookings all summer, I finally got off my rear end and got a show put together in Yankton, SD. This'll be the...third show I've set up, and the first one where the performers get paid. Now I just have to...wait two months. Bah.

I also just remembered that today is the deadline for the Beast Village festival in Des Moines. I should probably apply for that.

Is that a worthwhile festival? I'm struggling with figuring out what to submit to.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Sataere posted:

Is that a worthwhile festival? I'm struggling with figuring out what to submit to.

Not really sure. I'm basically applying for whatever I can (and find out about before the deadline.) For added fun, I need to monkey with the settings on my phone, because I've just noticed how bad the video quality is on the last couple of things I recorded.

Speaking of festivals, submissions are already open for the 2019 Sioux Falls Sno Jam. http://www.siouxfallssnojamcomedyfest.com/submit

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I paid for a clip and had a poo poo set. Very annoying. Back to the drawing board.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Is it weird that I get excited when a club booker actually responds to my emails, even if they aren't giving me work? Because most comics I know don't even get that much.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is there a UCB-specific thread anywhere?

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I've got a showcase coming up in Yankton, SD on Saturday. I've booked a few shows before, but this is the first one that will actually pay.

We sold the last of the tickets on Monday. Super hyped for this. (Only 38 seats, but still.)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

That's awesome. I've been getting booked regularly the last couple months, which is weird, because I've not tried to get booked at all.

Next week, I get to host my first album recording. That's one of the comedy bucket list.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Sataere posted:

That's awesome. I've been getting booked regularly the last couple months, which is weird, because I've not tried to get booked at all.

Next week, I get to host my first album recording. That's one of the comedy bucket list.

That's awesome! Now I've got a new item for my own list.

It's been a really dry summer for me--nobody's asked me to be on anything, and I didn't get anything above a guest spot between May and last week. That's most of why I put the Yankton show together; it became clear that I had to start making my own work.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Thinking about going up.

I have a friend who has yet to find any voice, let alone his, and watching him bomb repeatedly over the last few months is really starting to wear. Especially when the rest of the insular local scene isn't really any funnier.

"Why don't we call amputees 'baby humans' the same way we call cut up carrots 'baby carrots?'" is about the best joke I've heard in months.

Is general disgust in the overall scene a solid enough motivation? Am I setting myself for failure with... less than honorable intentions? Why did you first get up on stage?

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Inkspot posted:

Thinking about going up.

I have a friend who has yet to find any voice, let alone his, and watching him bomb repeatedly over the last few months is really starting to wear. Especially when the rest of the insular local scene isn't really any funnier.

"Why don't we call amputees 'baby humans' the same way we call cut up carrots 'baby carrots?'" is about the best joke I've heard in months.

Is general disgust in the overall scene a solid enough motivation? Am I setting myself for failure with... less than honorable intentions? Why did you first get up on stage?

get up because you want to make people laugh, not because you have some weird vendetta against bad comedians. Failures will hit you so much harder otherwise.

also why is your friend bombing so much? is he not spending enough time in the lab with his material? is his delivery poor? does he not try to read his audience or adapt to their response?

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 4, 2018

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Inkspot posted:

Thinking about going up.

If your primary motivation isn't a love of comedy, you are going to find it to be a miserable experience. Comedy ia very taxing emotionally. If you don't have that need to do it, the payoff won't be worth it.

Having said that, God knows I've used general contempt as a motivation plenty of times.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's not necessarily a weird vendetta, though I see now how I came off that way. Comedy's just not something I've even given much thought to until last night when I realized that getting up and doing one man scenes from Ace Ventura would be better than most of the dreck I've had to sit through. Not to minimize anyone's process, but if "Have you ever been so high the moon told you to calm down?" is still your big finish after years of being on stage...

unpleasantly turgid posted:

also why is your friend bombing so much? is he not spending enough time in the lab with his material? is his delivery poor? does he not try to read his audience or adapt to their response?

It's all just... bad.

Last night, he transitioned from a lame dick joke with no punchline into "Sorry about that. I'm a fan of self-deprecating humor. Too bad I suck at it." Which he thought was a real banger and didn't understand when it got the appropriate amount of disgruntled indifference.

I tried helping him write a few jokes and he butchered them, so that too quickly came to an end.

You never want to be the guy to tell someone to give up on their dreams, but even the most supportive of friends have their limit, and I'm definitely not the most supportive of friends. I figure if I'm actively working on material and hustling alongside him, I won't outright hate going out for however long this lasts? At the very least, it's something to cross off my bucket list.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I def went up for the first time because i watched a mic and thought “I’m literally funnier than all of these people.”

It turned out not to be true but it sure was a motivator.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Inkspot posted:

"Sorry about that. I'm a fan of self-deprecating humor. Too bad I suck at it."

With the right delivery, this is good.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
how do you make timing better? delivery? I know some jokes I can get a laugh with and can't figure out when they're good and when they're not going to hit because of the way I say them.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Odddzy posted:

how do you make timing better? delivery? I know some jokes I can get a laugh with and can't figure out when they're good and when they're not going to hit because of the way I say them.

This is why it's important to record your sets. Hearing how you sound when it works and when it doesn't makes a huge difference.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I wrote an hour-long show about mental health, toxic masculinity, and how close the world has come to nuclear war! An audience member had a panic attack! People have cried every time it was performed!

It's a comedy!

There's a clip here, if anyone's keep - would be delighted to hear some thoughts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pAT8MZBxGs

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I've got three feature spots this month, including one on Friday that I'm super excited about. It's a dinner-and-comedy show; I did my first-ever feature on this show last year, and had one of my best performances. November's looking pretty good for me.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

I've got three feature spots this month, including one on Friday that I'm super excited about. It's a dinner-and-comedy show; I did my first-ever feature on this show last year, and had one of my best performances. November's looking pretty good for me.

Congrats. I love dinner shows. I get paid AND fed.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
OH poo poo YOU GUYS

We just made the public announcement, so now it's official: Kevin McDonald of the Kids in the Hall is coming to our festival!

He's teaching an improv/sketch writing class on Saturday afternoon, and then doing a show to close out the weekend.

WE ARE SUPER PUMPED AND IF YOU'RE SUPER PUMPED TOO THEN WE'RE STILL TAKING SUBMISSIONS ALSO WE'RE STILL TAKING SUBMISSIONS EVEN IF YOU DON'T CARE http://www.siouxfallssnojamcomedyfest.com/

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

OH poo poo YOU GUYS

We just made the public announcement, so now it's official: Kevin McDonald of the Kids in the Hall is coming to our festival!

He's teaching an improv/sketch writing class on Saturday afternoon, and then doing a show to close out the weekend.

WE ARE SUPER PUMPED AND IF YOU'RE SUPER PUMPED TOO THEN WE'RE STILL TAKING SUBMISSIONS ALSO WE'RE STILL TAKING SUBMISSIONS EVEN IF YOU DON'T CARE http://www.siouxfallssnojamcomedyfest.com/

What's the submission deadline? I'm probably going to submit to a few festivals this year.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Sataere posted:

What's the submission deadline? I'm probably going to submit to a few festivals this year.

December 15.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

DoctorDelaware posted:

OH poo poo YOU GUYS

[edit]

Scratch that - still, excellent work though!

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 21, 2018

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Had a solid show in Columbus, NE this weekend...but man, I really wish I'd gotten into comedy earlier in life. 40 is too drat old to be making 5-hour drives in lovely weather.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

Had a solid show in Columbus, NE this weekend...but man, I really wish I'd gotten into comedy earlier in life. 40 is too drat old to be making 5-hour drives in lovely weather.

If I had started 10 years ago, I'd be a god now

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Pretty sure I said this last year...but there's nothing that will make you hate comedy like watching festival submissions.

About 150 vids this year. Even the good ones start to hurt, because it's just...so...much.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

Pretty sure I said this last year...but there's nothing that will make you hate comedy like watching festival submissions.

About 150 vids this year. Even the good ones start to hurt, because it's just...so...much.

I wish I had recorded my guest set last night. That clip would've been perfect. Is your submission date already past?

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Sataere posted:

I wish I had recorded my guest set last night. That clip would've been perfect. Is your submission date already past?

Yeah. Deadline was the 15th; we sent out invites on the 1st. We should hopefully have the official list by tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

Yeah. Deadline was the 15th; we sent out invites on the 1st. We should hopefully have the official list by tomorrow.

Yeah, I scrolled back and realized too late. Oh well, maybe next year. I think I finally have a decent 20 minute clip at a club.