Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

The stupid meme's from yesteryear (I'd say this is before Awakening was announced) were.

1. Shanna is a boy, I think this one started on Gamefaqs because of course, it did, essentially one poster would post paragraphs about how Shanna was obviously a boy because... short hair I guess? It was bad.

Of course, now we know the short hair is evidence Shanna is a girl, and in fact, the girl with the best hair in all of Fire Emblem.

Just goes to show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
remember when some gamefaqs nerds were so enamored by gheb, some one-off boss from FE8, that they made a hack starring him filled to the brim with rape and loli jokes

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

remember when some gamefaqs nerds were so enamored by gheb, some one-off boss from FE8, that they made a hack starring him filled to the brim with rape and loli jokes

Thanks to extensive therapy, I can safely say I do not.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Are defensive pair-ups in Fates ever actually useful? Offensive pair-ups have been really helpful so far, especially with enemy range management, but I’ve never felt like losing a unit would be a worthwhile trade off for a few defensive stats.

Also: holy poo poo Takumi. Turns out all you needed to make a good archer was an unbreakable 14-mt proof bow.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

wocobob posted:

Are defensive pair-ups in Fates ever actually useful? Offensive pair-ups have been really helpful so far, especially with enemy range management, but I’ve never felt like losing a unit would be a worthwhile trade off for a few defensive stats.

They're useful if you need a unit to take a lot of hits on the enemy phase, since they prevent enemy dual attacks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

wocobob posted:

Also: holy poo poo Takumi. Turns out all you needed to make a good archer was an unbreakable 14-mt proof bow.

You’re on Birthright from the sounds of it so the benefits aren’t terribly obvious compared to Conquest at the roughly equivalent point, but yeah, the benefits are helpful when you’re expecting one unit to endure extended abuse due to it no-selling enemy offensive pairups and the guard counter. Basically it’s for endgame as far as Birthright is concerned and ferrying units around, but it’ll have its occasional uses besides that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

daermon posted:

SF3 was severely hurt by only being on the Sega Saturn and iirc half of it was only available in Japan. It's a great series that was hampered by being on the wrong system for way too long. There's about 20 games in the series with far too many remakes and Japanese exclusives. Many of the more recent entries are action RPGs which further ruins the brand.

SF1 on the Sega is awesome though. I've probably played it a hundred times with challenge runs and all. SF2 is pretty fun as well. Until I found Fire Emblem a couple of years ago, I had nothing else to compare it to.

It's not just that ShF3 was on the wrong console - halfway through the production of scenario 2, the team pretty much got axed. This is why scenario 2's promotion portraits are just recolors, half the plot doesn't have anything to do with the overarching story, and scenario 3's promotion portraits look like bad Sonic the Hedgehog fanart.

wocobob posted:

You're absolutely going to need to make use of it in Conquest. I'm pretty sure you can beat Birthright just using auto-battle.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Let's play a game

Are we in range of attacking the dragon with our 1-2 weapon?

No we're one tile too high

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wocobob posted:

defense pairups are extremely useful in birthright. for one thing you aren't getting just defensive stats, it depends on class and character. berserker charlotte gives +5 str +3 speed, which is an insane boost.

some classes also give move, which is obviously useful. and more than that you can use it to transport a unit more quickly, usually with fliers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i meant to type 'useful in conquest'

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

@Onmi - That remake looks rear end ugly.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

inthesto posted:

It's not just that ShF3 was on the wrong console - halfway through the production of scenario 2, the team pretty much got axed. This is why scenario 2's promotion portraits are just recolors, half the plot doesn't have anything to do with the overarching story, and scenario 3's promotion portraits look like bad Sonic the Hedgehog fanart.

Sadly I've never played it. My enjoyment of Sega began and ended with the Genesis. I did play one of the Shining Games for the PS2 but I immediately returned it when I realized it was an action RPG.

There's a new Shining game being released for the Switch next month. I may look into it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's bizarre how the lack of visual clarity was something introduced to RotDD and not present in any of the other games (except ShF3, but that was the first 3D game and you could rotate the camera anyway). Compare Omni's screenshot to this, which is most likely the same map:

You know exactly where everything sits and how far it is from everything else. The GBA remake really beefed that single incredibly important thing.

daermon posted:

Sadly I've never played it. My enjoyment of Sega began and ended with the Genesis. I did play one of the Shining Games for the PS2 but I immediately returned it when I realized it was an action RPG.

There's a new Shining game being released for the Switch next month. I may look into it.

Shining Force 3 is worth a spin if you have the patience to make a Saturn emulator work. It has weapon ranks, supports, magic that isn't useless (easily the biggest problem in the series), bonus puzzle maps, and an engaging story.

Sadly, the Shining brand has been repurposed for incredibly generic RPGs marketed towards anime dorks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inthesto posted:

incredibly generic RPGs marketed towards anime dorks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wish Fire Emblem-like SRPGs were so common the series could be called incredibly generic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I wish Fire Emblem-like SRPGs were so common the series could be called incredibly generic
i wish rpgs with tales combat were so common, etc

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

It's weird how Fire Emblem basically invented the SRPG genre but very few games play much like it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I wish anyone at all other than Int Sys would make an SRPG that's decent. Fire Emblem is great but I wish the genre had anything at else in it. The closest thing is XCOM.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

final fantasy tactics unironically ruined the genre

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think X-COM and Valkyria Chronicles are the only SRPG games besides Fire Emblem that I've played, liked, and would still like even if the story/aesthetics were crap

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
what about Ff tactics

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I tried that once a long time ago and thought it was pretty garbage but I didn't get very far. It shared all of the things I hated about FFTA though and I played that one a lot more

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I like FFTA and A2 but the ultra dour tone and boring political talk in original FFT basically put me to sleep so I never got very far in it. Tried a Tactics Ogre game semi-recently and had more or less the same experience with it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TriffTshngo posted:

I like FFTA and A2 but the ultra dour tone and boring political talk in original FFT basically put me to sleep so I never got very far in it. Tried a Tactics Ogre game semi-recently and had more or less the same experience with it.

You disliked the good one and liked the bad ones? Hell, you disliked the tone in FFT but liked "we hosed up the protagonist writing so hard he comes across as the big bad" FFTA? Weird.

Anyways in SRPGs I really like Super Robot Wars, although it does want a love for Japanese robot franchises before you even get in. But now you can get them in English!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Disgaea, for certain readings of "strategy" games.

Really though personally I just want another AW game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

You disliked the good one and liked the bad ones? Hell, you disliked the tone in FFT but liked "we hosed up the protagonist writing so hard he comes across as the big bad" FFTA? Weird.

so glad this take from 2005 gamefaqs is still around

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Shortest Path posted:

I wish anyone at all other than Int Sys would make an SRPG that's decent. Fire Emblem is great but I wish the genre had anything at else in it. The closest thing is XCOM.

If you like XCOM, you should unironically get Mario+Rabbids.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

what about Ff tactics

Endorph posted:

final fantasy tactics unironically ruined the genre

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

mandatory lesbian posted:

so glad this take from 2005 gamefaqs is still around
it's from 2010 SA actually

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fft's a good game, tho tactics ogre is better. don't really want to play a bunch of games in that vein tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

banner saga is top 10 worst games ive ever played and ill never stop being mad about how no mainstream outlet called that game out for its fundamentally broken mechanics

itd be like if no mainstream outlet called out battlefield earth for how bad its cinematography was

Manatee Cannon posted:

fft's a good game, tho tactics ogre is better. don't really want to play a bunch of games in that vein tho
fft is okay, but also it ruined the genre

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk enough about the subject to debate that so I'll take your word for it

banner saga was terrible for sure tho. was super interested in that game until like half a minute into actually playing the srpg bit

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Honestly, what makes FE at its best unique for me is having a large cast of units that are individuals. They have names and designs and even when they share classes, the random level ups and different growths allow for two, say, mages to feel different. And that’s before any actual writing these characters might receive.

Furthermore, since the series originally had permadeath and the games were balanced around this, you receive units at a very steady drip through the whole game, which is exciting for the player and also necessitates a large cast, which gives the players more chance to have a favorite.

Not that every FE game does this right or that it’s the most important part of making a good FE game, but it’s what makes FE different from other SRPGs, including Intsys’ one Advance Wars.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What cool pre-FFT SRPGs existed to get ruined by it

This isn't a backhanded way of saying I don't think there are any, I want to know what they are so I can play them

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

fft is okay, but also it ruined the genre
why
(i haven't played FFT)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

What cool pre-FFT SRPGs existed to get ruined by it

This isn't a backhanded way of saying I don't think there are any, I want to know what they are so I can play them

Tactics Ogre

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hopeandjoy posted:

Honestly, what makes FE at its best unique for me is having a large cast of units that are individuals. They have names and designs and even when they share classes, the random level ups and different growths allow for two, say, mages to feel different. And that’s before any actual writing these characters might receive.

Furthermore, since the series originally had permadeath and the games were balanced around this, you receive units at a very steady drip through the whole game, which is exciting for the player and also necessitates a large cast, which gives the players more chance to have a favorite.

Not that every FE game does this right or that it’s the most important part of making a good FE game, but it’s what makes FE different from other SRPGs, including Intsys’ one Advance Wars.

My take is actually that the most important thing to FE is the combat mechanics, which they basically nailed in FE1 and have only done minor tweaks to since. Counterattacks, follow ups, subtractive defense, short ranged attacks (capping at 2 range in normal circumstances when something like Disgaea caps at 5-7) and moving before attacking work together beautifully and I am not aware of any SRPG that has core mechanics even close to as solid

Characters being unique instead of generic is a very very close second place though

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I thought Banner Saga was fantastic, so fence sitters might want to at least look at a stream or something.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Smiling Knight posted:

I thought Banner Saga was fantastic, so fence sitters might want to at least look at a stream or something.

The mechanics probably function if you take them at face value and don't think about how to abuse them, but the gameplay is fundamentally broken if you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Matsuno games are good, actually