Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Seconding that Dymo. For the money, it’s best in class (IMHO).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Now I'm hoping our label maker craps out so we can get one of those.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Now I'm hoping our label maker craps out so we can get one of those.

It's 30 bucks. Just buy one if you want one.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I almost talked work into buying this at the end of the fiscal year but we had to drop 20K on a server instead so that was the end of that.

I've been thinking lately I'm just going to buy one for myself, I could probably use it around the home.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
At one of my previous jobs, they dropped $15,000 in a few minutes on new displays for our conference rooms because I casually said the displays on the tables should match the displays on the walls in aspect ratio.

I couldn't get $20 to buy new screwdrivers, cleaning fluids and microfibre cloths to refurbish our laptop pool and had to use my own stuff.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

evobatman posted:

I couldn't get $20 to buy new screwdrivers, cleaning fluids and microfibre cloths to refurbish our laptop pool and had to use my own stuff.

Can y'all stop doing this poo poo?

If your company doesn't want to pay for the supplies, they don't feel its important.

Hand out garbage rear end nasty grime coated laptops.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What do you all do for AV?

We have Webroot in place and it's been okay at an okay price point so far, but it's up for renewal in August so I'm having a look around.

We've had Sophos and Kaspersky in the past but I found the clients pretty heavy and users complained about scans making things crawl even on decent machines.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We just use the Microsoft solution that comes with our CAL's. Works fine.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

Microsoft AV, Telling my users about links and emails they shouldn't click on, and offhandedly mention that if the boss wanted to he could look at what their surfing on the web.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Windows Defender is good for small shops, with the caveat that you not have users running as local admins. If you have users with local admin permissions, you should look at an enterprise solution (I'm pretty happy with Symantec on our systems, though I know others don't feel that way).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eh, we're all local admin with the enterprise ver of Defender. But we also use Cisco Umbrella, Cisco email security, etc. AV is rarely ever engaged because we block so much poo poo at the edge.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

Microsoft AV, Telling my users about links and emails they shouldn't click on, and offhandedly mention that if the boss wanted to he could look at what their surfing on the web.

name\post combo :discourse:

incoherent fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 22, 2018

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

We have Webroot in place and it's been okay at an okay price point so far, but it's up for renewal in August so I'm having a look around.

We've had Sophos and Kaspersky in the past but I found the clients pretty heavy and users complained about scans making things crawl even on decent machines.

webroot + ~security awareness training~

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

also, kaspersky stumbled down the ‘good software’ lists your friendly neighborhood compliancy officer keeps fast. they’re now just a notch above ‘state sponsored terrorist hacker collective’ in parts of europe. They’re facing a similar situation in the US i guess but i’ve been replacing a few kasperskys lately

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cylance + defender
Fireeye hx + defender

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i hate vendors that are just like contact us mainly because they will never ever ever stop calling/emailing

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My spam folder is full of "Are you stuck under a rock? I'll send help!" gently caress off with your default drip campaign.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I just started working in a small company and am dealing with all kinds of fun IT shenanigans. Can anyone in here who's worked with IP phone systems before tell me whether this tech support telling me that it's impossible to change an IP phone's extension might be right? Seems insane to me that you wouldn't be able to change one of these's phone's extensions, I mean they must have been initially configured at some point it's not like the extension is hardcoded into the things?

Sorry, a bit off topic I know but wasn't sure where else I could ask. There are a variety of phone hardwares being used but obviously they're all pretty standard IP phones (e.g. Aastra 6755i's). If I could get into the config for the network I could probably deal with it myself but everything's locked down in order idiot proof it all (which I understand & agree with as a policy).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, that's one of the more ridiculous things I have ever heard.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Agreed, of course. It barely takes much time at all... moments/minutes.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Cheers both. Bloke either didn't know what he was doing or just didn't want to do it. Sorted now though. I've been in his position so I don't exactly blame him that much lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Cheers both. Bloke either didn't know what he was doing or just didn't want to do it. Sorted now though. I've been in his position so I don't exactly blame him that much lol

I would, giving out blatantly wrong information when you don’t know the right answer is one of the worst things we can do.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Digital_Jesus posted:

Can y'all stop doing this poo poo?

If your company doesn't want to pay for the supplies, they don't feel its important.

Hand out garbage rear end nasty grime coated laptops.

Or just have a talk with the company owner about image.

This is the small shop thread, one of the "benefits" of working at a small shop is that you can usually talk to the owner.

Tell him it's unprofessional and looks like poo poo.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

El Grillo posted:

So I just started working in a small company and am dealing with all kinds of fun IT shenanigans. Can anyone in here who's worked with IP phone systems before tell me whether this tech support telling me that it's impossible to change an IP phone's extension might be right? Seems insane to me that you wouldn't be able to change one of these's phone's extensions, I mean they must have been initially configured at some point it's not like the extension is hardcoded into the things?

that sounds like pre-voip where the extension is dictated by the port

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

dogstile posted:

This is the small shop thread, one of the "benefits" of working at a small shop is that you can usually talk to the owner.

This but without the quotes around "benefits". Being able to ask the owner out for lunch (or asking her to take me out to lunch :getin:) is what it's all about.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

The Fool posted:

I would, giving out blatantly wrong information when you don’t know the right answer is one of the worst things we can do.

to the defence of the IT guy, though I agree that answer was quite stupid, 'no can do' can mean a couple things. Maybe they don't know how to and they're being lazy asking a coworker. Maybe they're straight up lying so you go away - both of those pretty dumb and bad. But being busy or tired or whatever and not in a mood to argue turns 'won't (due to company policy)' into 'can't' without explanation sometimes. Dumb because if people find out you lied they won't believe you ever again but lovely senior backing/not knowing the magic words 'i can't decide to make an exception for you myself, you can take it up with my manager' lead to this.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

El Grillo posted:

Sorry, a bit off topic I know but wasn't sure where else I could ask. There are a variety of phone hardwares being used but obviously they're all pretty standard IP phones (e.g. Aastra 6755i's). If I could get into the config for the network I could probably deal with it myself but everything's locked down in order idiot proof it all (which I understand & agree with as a policy).

You (or those with administrative privileges to the phone server) can definitely change anything about an Aastra 6755i pretty much on demand. Every time they boot up, they look to DHCP option 66 for a TFTP server and pull down a series of config files which tell them what to do. Changing the extension on one takes seconds to minutes at most for any competent phone admin. I only have a half dozen or so of those things left under my control because our users hated them, but they respond to all the usual remote provision commands so any decent system will allow the admin to update the config and send a "recheck your config files now" command with a few clicks.

They are definitely not some kind of traditional PBX idiocy where the extension is hard-mapped to a port.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
speaking of phones. I am in the process of setting up a new satellite office, anyone have any recommendations for voip solutions that can be remote admin-ed easily without some homebrew 3cx or asterix box and not completely gently caress you on pricing? (about 30 users or so)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is Onsip any good?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Is Onsip any good?

I am equally interested in other opinions of Onsip.

Never buy Windstream service. It's trash.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

speaking of phones. I am in the process of setting up a new satellite office, anyone have any recommendations for voip solutions that can be remote admin-ed easily without some homebrew 3cx or asterix box and not completely gently caress you on pricing? (about 30 users or so)

https://www.zultys.com/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

Ringcentral

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Second RingCentral, never had any problems with them and we even did fax over SIP (yes I know) without problems for years.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Sheep posted:

Second RingCentral, never had any problems with them and we even did fax over SIP (yes I know) without problems for years.

i love the abbreviation FoIP because it looks and sounds subtly wrong just like fax over IP is. I deployed Faxination Server hooked up to Exchange a few times when a job featured prominent fax usage. Faxination is a good name too because it's an awkward pun on the word fax and a positive emotion, which just doesn't work but the software mirrors this by being really awkward to install, use, maintain and it doesn't work out ever trying to provide 100% uptime in HA environments.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I was someplace the other day that had physical fax modem on a physical server receiving actual faxes.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Honestly that's kinda awesome if it's integrated tidily

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I was someplace the other day that had physical fax modem on a physical server receiving actual faxes.

When the time eventually comes to kill the fax servers usually only a handful users actually actually have a need for one. One Simple Trick Fax Server Vendors Don't Want You To Know:

you can just stick a real fancy fax machine on their desk and be done with it. Get a nice one. They're more reliable, (old) people know how to operate them and you'll still save a bunch probably over licensing and servers and whatnot

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Or just use a SaaS faxing service like the rest of us who decided to stop dealing with that poo poo?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

Or just use a SaaS faxing service like the rest of us who decided to stop dealing with that poo poo?

sane ideas for sure. I tried but got tangled up in cloud regulation and compliancy red tape too complicated to deal with for just a couple users in dinosaur land (finance IT). You're right though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Thanks Ants posted:

Is Onsip any good?

We switched from Nextiva to OnSip, no problems here 🤷