Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

At Celebration last year, there were a poo poo ton of little girls dressed up as Rey. Like, everywhere you looked. At the Heroines of Star Wars panel, when Daisy Ridley came out as a surprise guest, they all lost their collective minds. It was awesome.

Kids still like Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doronin posted:

And I'm with you, I don't know what kids like or what metrics Disney is using to even come to that conclusion. I'd be really interested to see insights on that aspect of their marketing and research.

I'm trying to remember what I was really into merchandise-wise when TPM came out, but like I've said, I was more hyped for TPM than any other movie before or since so I may not be the most reliable sample. :D

I think the main things for me would have to have been the Lego, the PS1 adaptation and my Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace Scrapbook.

I know kids are always hunched over their phones like the rest of us these days so maybe they need to invest in some sort of "Star Wars: Episode IX: Here Comes Thanos - The Official Movie Tie-In App".

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey guys, take non-spoiler discussion to the main thread.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cross-Section posted:

Not solely, no, but if you really believe that kids don't often bully other kids for the most inconsequential poo poo (such as "liking the prequels") then I dunno what to tell you.

I'm not trying to tell you that you weren't bullied but by definition an inconsequential thing doesn't really matter. I'm sure somewhere there is a bully who is beating up kids for playing hockey or whatever but hockey plays a very small part in that equation.

(This is related to Star Wars spoilers because, uh, my uncle who works at Lucasfilm told me this is the plot of Episode IX.)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Having two threads is loving dumb.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I actually grew my hair to have a padawan braid when AotC came out, I was 11 at the time and every other kid's reaction to me was "oh hey, just like Obi-Wan in the first movie, or Anakin in this one, cool"

I bring this up because I was that one kid that got bullied over anything so no I don't agree that kids bullied other kids over liking the prequels. If you were a Jar-Jar fan on the other hand

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't remember anyone my age being hugely into Star Wars when the prequels came out. They went to see them because they were big movies, but I definitely remember Pokémon being bigger than Episode I and Lord of the Rings being bigger than Episode II in my own circle of friends and classmates.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Aces High posted:

I bring this up because I was that one kid that got bullied over anything so no I don't agree that kids bullied other kids over liking the prequels. If you were a Jar-Jar fan on the other hand
It's never been easy.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Vintersorg posted:

Having two threads is loving dumb.

It’s not. This thread serves a specific purpose; to post about leaks and spoilers without worrying about people who care about spoilers. Just because there’s downtime when there are no leaks/spoilers doesn’t mean the thread is useless.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

cargohills posted:

I'm not trying to tell you that you weren't bullied but by definition an inconsequential thing doesn't really matter. I'm sure somewhere there is a bully who is beating up kids for playing hockey or whatever but hockey plays a very small part in that equation.

Yeah, I muddled my point a bit by starting out with a seemingly-objective statement like "It sucked to be a young prequel fan" despite what I was going for being more anecdotal in nature.

Also I just assume folks are posting in here because the goons who poo poo up the discussion in the other thread largely don't post in this one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How old are you referring too? I guess if you were in your teens I could see you catching poo poo for liking them, but I was under 10 when episode 1 came out, so everyone I knew loved it because it had Star Wars in the name.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

This was middle school, so like 11 or 12, I think.

Also, for the sake of spoiler discussion, one recent "leak" described some concept art of Kylo flying the Falcon. Not much of a plausible scenario, unless he's getting redeemed.

So what are the odds, folks, of a redemptive arc in IX? My potentially having a problem with it largely depends on execution (and how Rey might factor in) - not so much the concept itself.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
When the prequels were in theaters, past TPM's first couple of weeks of theatrical run, they definitely never felt like a huge deal. I only remember them getting parodied to death for very well deserved reasons. Which is crazy because I remember it that way, but I looked it up and TPM and ROTS were the highest grossing movies of their respective years, and AotC was a strong No. 3 for 2002. And that merch just sat on the shelves forever. Then again that could be a byproduct of where I lived at the time in south Alabama. It's also really jarring to see how different the movie landscape was just 13 years ago with so many fewer comic or sci-fi movies.

But I also never once got bullied for liking Star Wars and I lived in an area where I practically expected to. I was also always a little proud that I was the kid that encouraged other people to embrace nerdy stuff without having to be a caricature. So nobody ever gave me poo poo for having piles of X-Men comics and building Ertl replicas of X-Wings and whatnot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doronin posted:

When the prequels were in theaters, past TPM's first couple of weeks of theatrical run, they definitely never felt like a huge deal. I only remember them getting parodied to death for very well deserved reasons. Which is crazy because I remember it that way, but I looked it up and TPM and ROTS were the highest grossing movies of their respective years, and AotC was a strong No. 3 for 2002. And that merch just sat on the shelves forever. Then again that could be a byproduct of where I lived at the time in south Alabama. It's also really jarring to see how different the movie landscape was just 13 years ago with so many fewer comic or sci-fi movies.

I suppose some of the things people say about Kennedy now about how she "doesn't respect the fans" aren't too different from what they said about Lucas back in 1997 when he said

:v:

I actually found this Guardian article from 2002 which was interesting to read:

quote:

If there is a tinge of defensiveness in his sunny tone, it is because the latest instalment of Star Wars will inevitably be hammered for failing to live up to its 20-year-old predecessors. Such was the fate of The Phantom Menace and, although this is a better film, it will be received by many Star Wars purists as laughable.

(It goes on to relate quotes from his interview, where he explains his approach to making the movies, how he was going for a 1930s style and trying to get "pre-method" performances from the cast, which I think is interesting.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 28, 2018

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Cross-Section posted:

This was middle school, so like 11 or 12, I think.

Also, for the sake of spoiler discussion, one recent "leak" described some concept art of Kylo flying the Falcon. Not much of a plausible scenario, unless he's getting redeemed.

So what are the odds, folks, of a redemptive arc in IX? My potentially having a problem with it largely depends on execution (and how Rey might factor in) - not so much the concept itself.

At the last moment, he pops up in the Falcon to save the day by icing a bogie hot on Rey's tail.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

It sucks when Alien never foreshadowed the Alien Queen. It’s a huge plot hole that xenomorphs suddenly have a solid creator of the Alien eggs.

Aliens actually does foreshadow the queen, haha. Ripley asks "what makes the eggs" early in the movie with a bit of an ominous beat :)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

It sucks when Alien never foreshadowed the Alien Queen. It’s a huge plot hole that xenomorphs suddenly have a solid creator of the Alien eggs.

He isn't talking about across two films I think.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose some of the things people say about Kennedy now about how she "doesn't respect the fans" aren't too different from what they said about Lucas back in 1997 when he said

(It goes on to relate quotes from his interview, where he explains his approach to making the movies, how he was going for a 1930s style and trying to get "pre-method" performances from the cast, which I think is interesting.)

haha, that's a great find! Nobody dishonors the spirit of Star Wars quite like George Lucas :confuoot:

And that is really, really interesting about the 1930s thing. It makes perfect sense given the look and feel of AotC in particular.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darko posted:

Aliens actually does foreshadow the queen, haha. Ripley asks "what makes the eggs" early in the movie with a bit of an ominous beat :)

I am talking about across two films.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think I'd gladly take the prequels over the design by committee mess now.

The prequels were bad, sure, but they still felt like someone's creative vision.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who are the members of the committee?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who are the members of the committee?

I HAVE HERE IN MY HAND A LIST OF 205 PEOPLE WHO ARE KNOWN TO BE MEMBERS OF THE DISNEY STAR WARS COMMITTEE

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

I HAVE HERE IN MY HAND A LIST OF 205 PEOPLE WHO ARE KNOWN TO BE MEMBERS OF THE DISNEY STAR WARS COMMITTEE

Sounds Pulitzer-worthy to me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Milky Moor posted:

Hahahaha

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Milky Moor posted:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*discreetly calls the House Un-Alderaanian Activities Committee hotline to report suspicious behavior*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disney, please hire George Lucas to oversee the fanchise. If only because I want his arguements with JJ.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's more like a series of committees with the board of directors at the top flowing down through to the story group with all kinds of focus groups getting a say along the way.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So the prequels is what we get when Lucas surrounds himself with yes men and no one who will rein him in. The sequels is instead what we get when Star Wars is made by committee?

I really am thinking the prequels were better, that and we also got a bunch of awesome games because of them. What have we gotten so far? Battlefront? gently caress

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Last Jedi really does not feel like the product of a committee.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The bloated runtime, meandering subplots that ultimately go nowhere, punched up jokey dialogue in the middle of serious moments and reset to Rebels vs. Empire unto eternity all feel like committee rewrites to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

exquisite tea posted:

The bloated runtime, meandering subplots that ultimately go nowhere, punched up jokey dialogue in the middle of serious moments and reset to Rebels vs. Empire unto eternity all feel like committee rewrites to me.

I would have expected a safer, blander film from a committee.

To me it feels like they let Johnson do whatever he wanted within some very broad boundaries, which is why he completely ignored the setup JJ did for some things (notably Snoke, Rey's parents) and why he wasn't willing to kill his darlings and cut some stuff that needed to be cut.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like we'd have heard about it if there had been loads of rewrites and things for TLJ. We heard enough about all the other movies in that regard.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I would have expected a safer, blander film from a committee.

To me it feels like they let Johnson do whatever he wanted within some very broad boundaries, which is why he completely ignored the setup JJ did for some things (notably Snoke, Rey's parents) and why he wasn't willing to kill his darlings and cut some stuff that needed to be cut.

i feel like jj setup reys parentage to go either way because hes a mystery box creator. i came out of tfa most expecting her to be a nobody based on her conversation with maz.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I do wonder at the whole "Rey's father was Obi-Wan" thing if only because I can't figure out how the timeline would work. Rey is meant to be about 18 or 19 and Daisy Ridley was 23 when they were making TFA, so let's assume for the sake of argument that Rey could be that old.

TFA is set about 30 years after ROTJ so Rey would've been born anytime between seven and 12 years after ROTJ, at which point Obi-Wan would've been dead for about 15 years. Did the theory require an assumption that Rey's conception was some sort of Rosemary's Baby thing where Obi-Wan impregnated her mother while he was a Force ghost that looked like Alec Guinness?

I don't go in for fan theorycrafting so I don't know what the reasoning was.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think those people were pushing for her to be a granddaughter

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I do wonder at the whole "Rey's father was Obi-Wan" thing if only because I can't figure out how the timeline would work. Rey is meant to be about 18 or 19 and Daisy Ridley was 23 when they were making TFA, so let's assume for the sake of argument that Rey could be that old.

TFA is set about 30 years after ROTJ so Rey would've been born anytime between seven and 12 years after ROTJ, at which point Obi-Wan would've been dead for about 15 years. Did the theory require an assumption that Rey's conception was some sort of Rosemary's Baby thing where Obi-Wan impregnated her mother while he was a Force ghost that looked like Alec Guinness?

I don't go in for fan theorycrafting so I don't know what the reasoning was.

"There was no father."

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

At Celebration last year, there were a poo poo ton of little girls dressed up as Rey. Like, everywhere you looked. At the Heroines of Star Wars panel, when Daisy Ridley came out as a surprise guest, they all lost their collective minds. It was awesome.

Kids still like Star Wars.

people dress their kids up like that op

its like forcing your kids to do ballet or sports becuz the parents are trying to capture some lost feeling

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
come to think if it

probably why star wars stories are so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

At the Heroines of Star Wars panel, when Daisy Ridley came out as a surprise guest, they all lost their collective minds. It was awesome.

I was completely exhausted at this panel and like half falling asleep once I sat down.

I jumped out of my seat screaming with glee like a child. It was my favorite part of Celebration by far.