Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Tired Moritz posted:

You dined out for over a year? Jesus.

Totally possible. I work in bars and restaurants for a living and I dine out constantly. It was great about seven pounds ago. At this point I practically beg my girlfriend to let me go over and cook for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm not at a year mark, but I'm working two jobs totaling about 70 hours a week and I do actual good cooking at home like 2-3 times a month. Everything else is tossing a quick salad/sandwich/instant ramen together or grabbing a deli sanwich or takeout.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

for how much I shamed people for not cooking for themselves years ago, I rarely cook these days, and when I do, it's not nearly as enjoyable as it used to be. Adulting sucks. Commuting sucks. Most days I just want food to magically appear so yeah, we eat out a lot.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Totally possible. I'm stuck with an apartment with no kitchen and working 40-60 hour weeks which means the most home-made things ever get is sandwiches and porridge. :(

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've been living alone for a few months now, and cooking for one sucks. (yes yes, I do the "big pot of stuff" on Sunday nights, I'm not totally helpless)

A lot of my dates are "hey, come over my place and let me cook you an awesome dinner", just because I need a reason to cook.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've been living alone for a few months now, and cooking for one sucks. (yes yes, I do the "big pot of stuff" on Sunday nights, I'm not totally helpless)

A lot of my dates are "hey, come over my place and let me cook you an awesome dinner", just because I need a reason to cook.

:same:

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Squashy Nipples posted:

:emptyquote:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Squashy Nipples posted:

My wife is on a research trip for a month. I now feel your pain.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Speaking of getting back on the horse- I’ve got roasted chicken breasts from Monday night I’d like to turn into something fast over sautéed chard. I’m not coming up with anything besides chicken salad sandwiches. Thoughts?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Tired Moritz posted:

You dined out for over a year? Jesus.

Husband was doing the cooking (although we ate out a lot too, lol)

GrAviTy84 posted:

for how much I shamed people for not cooking for themselves years ago, I rarely cook these days, and when I do, it's not nearly as enjoyable as it used to be. Adulting sucks. Commuting sucks. Most days I just want food to magically appear so yeah, we eat out a lot.

yeah :(

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been on my own for 8 months now, and I barely cook at all, unless I'm having someone over to cook for. I'm eating far too much garbage. The good news is armageddon is just around the corner so that should take me before my bad eating habits do.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've been on my own for 8 months now, and I barely cook at all, unless I'm having someone over to cook for. I'm eating far too much garbage. The good news is armageddon is just around the corner so that should take me before my bad eating habits do.

:yeah:

Hail Satan

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bloody ghost titty posted:

Speaking of getting back on the horse- I’ve got roasted chicken breasts from Monday night I’d like to turn into something fast over sautéed chard. I’m not coming up with anything besides chicken salad sandwiches. Thoughts?

Quesadillas

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Squashy Nipples posted:

... wouldn't that overcook the whites? I'm confused.

Clickhole is part of The Onion Network.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pizzas are (un)fortunately a super easy thing to make when single and a vegetable.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

So, please don't dox me ... but this stupid gay comedy forum helped me form a relationship with my stepdaughter with cooking. One of the first serious cooking projects we did together was the absolutely ridiculous chicken-cheese thread here in Goons With Spoons where we did sous-vide chicken breasts with homemade pasta and an alfredo sauce, and that has led to her becoming quite the accomplished pasta maker and baker. She was featured on tonight's MasterChef episode and got a white apron from Gordon Ramsey. Thank you all for the education.

I'm getting caught up, but this is cool AF. congrats!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When I moved to LA and was here for a month before my wife moved out I found that only the sous vizzle saved me.

I would prep on Sunday and freeze the bags. Then I woukd throw a bag in either before I left for work or when I got home every day, depending on what was in it. Then sauteed some fresh veg and called it dinner.

Edit: then I quit smoking and got loving fat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bunch of sad mofos. I cook for one and love it. Why yes, I will make an anchovy artichoke olive pizza and not a single drat person will tell me I'm stinking up the house.

Now the sad part is cleaning up and my last attempt at making fresh pasta will attest to that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I was gifted a pasta mixer/pusher for lazy fresh pasta. Pretty easy to clean once everything dries too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

N/m

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 29, 2018

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

iospace posted:

Clickhole is part of The Onion Network.

The Takeout is from the nominally serious side of the family, though.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bloody ghost titty posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/fuchsia-dunlops-cold-chicken-with-a-spicy-sic.html

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wait'll you have kids. :smithicide:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
That's probably why kids grow up eating mac and cheese and chicken fingers. It's quick, low-effort, and got what kids crave.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It’s mostly because that’s all they’ll eat.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

If you thought Double Income No Children couples were insufferable, wait until you meet the Double Income No Children Sub-20 Minute Commute people.

Chemmy posted:

It’s mostly because that’s all they’ll eat.

Eh. I was raised eating a vegetable heavy diet with a lot of variety and didn't really get exposed to or into "junk" food like chicken fingers and soda until I started being fed that stuff by my friends parents when I was over and it is what they fed their kids. Turns out kids will eat what they're given. Carrot sticks and apple slices aren't much more work than a poptart.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 29, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sextro posted:

If you thought Double Income No Children couples were insufferable, wait until you meet the Double Income No Children Sub-20 Minute Commute people.

Hi. What can I do for you? Hold on let me pour one of my 30 bottles of single barrel limited release whiskeys. Would you like one as well?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sextro posted:

As one who lives in the Inland Empire LA and commutes to Pomona.... sub 20 min commute is so unbelievable to me I can't even imagine it.

That DINK lyfe ownz tho :homebrew:

re: kids. I'm still waiting for the desire to kick in, I dont really get the draw. I'm mostly just slightly curious what they would be like but that's not nearly enough of a reason to create another human. And that level of desire is way more than my wife's at the moment. Every time I see parents wrestling with them in restaurants making a mess, or them screaming, or the multitudes of social media posts complaining about that life I'm like, "yeah no." Even the ones where they're cute and the parents say it's "rewarding" or something seems so ridiculously disparate from the cost, both quality of life and monetarily.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 29, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GrAviTy84 posted:

As one who lives in the Inland Empire LA and commutes to Pomona.... sub 20 min commute is so unbelievable to me I can't even imagine it.

That DINK lyfe ownz tho :homebrew:

re: kids. I'm still waiting for the desire to kick in, I dont really get the draw. I'm mostly just slightly curious what they would be like but that's not nearly enough of a reason to create another human. And that level of desire is way more than my wife's at the moment. Every time I see parents wrestling with them in restaurants making a mess, or them screaming, or the multitudes of social media posts complaining about that life I'm like, "yeah no." Even the ones where they're cute and the parents say it's "rewarding" or something seems so ridiculously disparate from the cost, both quality of life and monetarily.

I hate kids. Everyone kept telling me it would be different with my own kids. I kept telling them that might be true... but what if it's not? Too much to gamble.

No kids for me and now that my wife is in her mid 40s no kids ever.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My son, who was born when I was 20, is almost 16. Single dadding it for all these years has been a right pain in the rear end, but I still love the kid.

On the other hand, I'm getting married in October, and kids are certainly on the table. At this point in my life, at 36, I'm looking forward to it. Kids are great, especially when they get to school age.

Current commute is 15 minutes from one side of Metro Vegas to the other.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My time serving has killed all desire for me to have kids.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You know what's awesome? Working from home. I've filled my gas tank seven times since December 1.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Stringent posted:

Wait'll you have kids. :smithicide:

I have kids, and we cook for them every day and eat dinner together as a family...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Used to cook more or less every night. Then I moved near a dim sum place that delivers.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Scientastic posted:

I have kids, and we cook for them every day and eat dinner together as a family...
This. Even cook together! Pizza? Why not https://youtu.be/K09LTgSity0

Hauki
May 11, 2010

SubG posted:

Used to cook more or less every night. Then I moved near a dim sum place that delivers.

:shepspends:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

rgocs posted:

This. Even cook together! Pizza? Why not https://youtu.be/K09LTgSity0

We make pizza together every week, it’s great.

And my kids now love anchovies.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SubG posted:

Oh god I'd be broke and fat and happy

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

There's a small takeaway dim sum place near my work that has a lunch special of a bigass bowl of congee (century egg and pork, or beef) and one order of dim sum for 6bux.

Yeah I eat that a shitton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Scientastic posted:

Congratulations.

We both work and commute so time is tight. We still manage to get by with a combination of cooking and buying prepared stuff on the way home. Weekends we all cook together and do prep for the week, but weekdays can be stressful.