Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OmanyteJackson posted:

While not a perfect 1-to-1 comparison, wrestling is better at all these aspects that are unique to plays despite being considered low art. requiring levels of storytelling, improvisation, audience interaction, and showmanship that a play just cannot do and it shows. despite wrestling not being taught in schools, more people watch wrestling than watch plays.

gently caress you samuel beckett, ever heard of vince russo huhh??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I accessed the art of that post all the way from australia

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't decide what's more gay, theater or big sweaty men in tights and underpants pretend-fighting...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
wrestling is the gayest theater and that's why I love it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

wrestling is the gayest theater and that's why I love it

Only until a wrestling musical exists.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hell he's not wrong about pro wrestling being one of the more accessible and available forms of live theater in most areas, and not just because there have been entire wrestling events dedicated to re-enacting Shakespeare plays but with barbed wire and light tubes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the Zack Ryder storyline where he was being tormented by Kane and got quite literally cucked by Cena had more in common with classical russian literature than most direct play adaptations I've seen don't @ me I will not be taking followup questions

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There's a Bro falling off the stage out there, and Cena isn't here...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Kane's temptation for the Bro to embrace darkness represents the modern Muscovites' struggle to maintain their rural and traditional history while living as newly 'enlightened' men and all that entails.

Cena is the church, offering platitudes and warm smiles but just as eager to stab their flock in the back as any state official when it benefits them.

Eve represents the wheat harvest, again do not @ me.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

"I am not a leader of men, Shawn, and neither are you-"

"I AM NOT A DIME A DOZEN, I AM SHAWN MICHAELS!"

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

"Twas me, Austin! 'Twas me all the long! Even my closest of kinsmen were convinced!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with I-Mockery, or if it's really relevant to the thread, but I checked in on the site today, and I saw this: http://www.i-mockery.com/re/

:smith:

Christ, that poo poo hits deep :( . I love I-mockery, it was always funny as gently caress. Christ this has been a lovely week.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I Before E posted:

re-enacting Shakespeare plays but with barbed wire and light tubes.

You know, considering where my avatar is from, I should probably watch more wrestling.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK weird theatre hating person if you post another really bad take re: theatre im probing you because this is going nowhere

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Leal posted:

You know, considering where my avatar is from, I should probably watch more wrestling.

lease be selective in what you watch lest you be fooled into watching Raw

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love both theatre and wrestling and I wanna those wrestling Shakespeare storylines.

Hulk Hogan as King Lear.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I love both theatre and wrestling and I wanna those wrestling Shakespeare storylines.

Hulk Hogan as King Lear.

King Lear doesn't have a brother in the play 0/10

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well, the word got around, they said, “This kid is insane, man”
Took up a collection just to send him to the mainland
“Get your education, don’t forget from whence you came, and
The world's gonna know your name. What’s your name, man?”

"Hi, I'm Dolph Ziggler."

Oh I also did this a couple weeks ago now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6iJIheEvTE&feature=youtu.be

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hulk Hogan as King Lear.

Some friends did Shakespearean shows back in the day and we had bandied about the idea of a fringe show called "MacBethamania", the tale of the battle for the Scottish championship belt. The fringe show element meant we'd cut down the runtime and use the Witches as announcers to narrate, provide synopsis and broadcast the events, possibly with video cutaways away from the show.

We'd even have the climactic match end with something like a neckbreaker and the announcer yealling "BAH GAWD, HE TOOK HIS HEAD CLEAN OFF!!!" or such. Never saw the light of day, but we always liked the comparison of Wrestling to Shakespeare as "action melodrama in tights". The company had the rule that all comedies needed at least three kicks to the groin, and all tragedies at least two; one of the school papers at the college we performed at said we "ruined Shakespeare" with all our slapstick in "Midsummer's"; the editor of Oxford's Romeo and Juliet saw the show and said she loved it so we'll take her word over theirs.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ViHart gets meta about YouTube and the relationship between youtubers and audience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deg1wmYjwtk

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hulk Hogan as King Lear.

I've had a friend suggest with 100% seriousness that Mick Foley would be an amazing King Lear.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

I've had a friend suggest with 100% seriousness that Mick Foley would be an amazing King Lear.

I can see that. Dude is charismatic as gently caress and actually a pretty good actor if you keep in mind that Mankind/Dude Love/Cactus Jack/"Mick Foley" were all literally just characters he played on a television show. Honestly, Dwayne Johnson was at his best in the WWE whenever he had Foley there to play off of. They were a fantastic double act.

So yeah, a character as unbalanced and tormented as King Lear would actually be right in Mick Foley's wheelhouse.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

Vince McMahon divides the company among his three daughters. WCW invades at the end. XFL reigns.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Vince is the only possible Lear. There is no other choice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Vince is the only possible Lear. There is no other choice.

yea he literally just is King Lear already, all you gotta do is put him in a robe.

Mick needs to be Falstaff

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

sexpig by night posted:

yea he literally just is King Lear already, all you gotta do is put him in a robe.

Mick needs to be Falstaff

I'm convinced now.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

business hammocks posted:

Vince McMahon divides the company among his three daughters. WCW invades at the end. XFL reigns.

But he only has two kids, Stephanie McMahon and Triple H.

poo poo, right, I forgot one.

Hornswoggle.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You actually forgot Shane. So...of him, Stephanie and Triple H, who fits into Cordelia, Regan and Goneril?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Shane is gonna have to throw himself off another cell top to get remembered now

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

remember when they had chris jericho mock stephanie's new titties. vince is such a great dad.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The real art of the people is the carny sham owned by Donald Trump's close personal friend where they destroy their uninsured contractor "employees" lives for clapping 40 year olds mild enjoyment

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The real art of the people is the carny sham owned by Donald Trump's close personal friend where they destroy their uninsured contractor "employees" lives for clapping 40 year olds mild enjoyment

yea dude that's the history of entertainment in the world, some rich assholes probably exploiting and harming people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Trump called McMahon to make sure he was ok after his car blew up during an episode of wrestling.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What a loving mark.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trump called McMahon to make sure he was ok after his car blew up during an episode of wrestling.

Hahahahaha

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yea I love our super smart prez

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:vince:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Boogie29...454346662010881 Holy gently caress boogie, just stop being butcher Joyce.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why would anyone give Milo anything resembling the benefit of the doubt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Boogie29...454346662010881 Holy gently caress boogie, just stop being butcher Joyce.

He said it, you feckless piece of poo poo. There's documented proof of it. And he doubled down on it in an email to an editor at Mediaite. Is there no grenade this quivering blob won't dive on and smother?