Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Anyone any advice for keeping control/grip on an arm bar when you take it from full mount and fall sideways, backwards?

I seem to lose it in the scramble and don't know why. No gi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

willie_dee posted:

Anyone any advice for keeping control/grip on an arm bar when you take it from full mount and fall sideways, backwards?

it shouldn't be a scramble - you should be in control

stay tight

e: it's easier said than done

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

starkebn posted:

it shouldn't be a scramble - you should be in control

stay tight

Yea, looking at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip0Hl52JG5A

It would seem that not actually training Jits, means I haven't got a clue what I am doing. It's a lot to think about, I need to get to a proper MMA gym.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ugh today was a really humbling day. Every single roll was just me dominated. Which I mean, is how it's supposed to go, but I really felt how far I have to go. Little discouraging but I have some stuff I am gonna try to learn.

Not sure the name of it, but I keep getting caught when someone has you in guard and they pull their knee and shin across my chest while grabbing my sleeves so I cannot really pull back or push forward.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Utilize a figure four grip, get the leg that is supposed to go over the head over the head before starting the dismount, and think about sitting directly downwards from mount instead of falling backwards off of mount. When you get to the seated position adjust the figure four grip to the standard grip and obtain control of the hand/wrist and keep the thumb sky ward, if you feel them try to roll for a hitch hiker twist their thumb towards their feet until they tire out, and then go for the finish.

Edit: The hard part of the maneuver should be obtaining the arm in the first place. The rest of it should be tight enough that a scramble can't develop.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 26, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

Don't think of it as falling backward. The major mistake that 95% of people make is thinking of it as falling backward, which results in falling away from your opponent's deltoid and giving escape space.

I've explained it a whole bunch of ways to different people, but it usually comes with demonstration, so I'll just try this one which clicked for a few people - when you've connected your opponent's arm to your body (my pref from mount is usually a keylock with the elbow to my sternum via gift wrap, but it's a "get what you get" situation) start thinking of you and your opponent as a single unified object - you don't fall back, that object tips over. This usually involves balling yourself up as tight as possible. That your shoulders hit the ground is pretty much incidental, and there certainly won't be room to fall/go back in any way if you're not already extending the arm..

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Take it from someone who's name rhymes with mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMdj8ggC_Ss

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not sure the name of it, but I keep getting caught when someone has you in guard and they pull their knee and shin across my chest while grabbing my sleeves so I cannot really pull back or push forward.

Unsolicited advice and all

1. don't let someone control both (or either) of your sleeves. Grip fighting on the ground is just as important as standing.

2. use a free hand or elbow to stuff that knee flat and lay your goony gut atop it.

4. PROfit!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ugh today was a really humbling day. Every single roll was just me dominated. Which I mean, is how it's supposed to go, but I really felt how far I have to go. Little discouraging but I have some stuff I am gonna try to learn.

Knee shield. As ^^^, strip grips. Don't push into the knee - try to use your hip to flatten your opponent's knees together.

If your opponent isn't controlling your posture, stand up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Others did a better job explaining what I was getting at.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Was it somebody in here who told me that it's possible to just grit your teeth and ignore the "grind elbows into thighs" guard pass? Like there's no actual damage beyond bruising? I love the idea of just blank face staring at people who do it to you and waiting for them to give up.

I'm gonna feel dumb if I try it and I start bleeding internally or something.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Was it somebody in here who told me that it's possible to just grit your teeth and ignore the "grind elbows into thighs" guard pass? Like there's no actual damage beyond bruising? I love the idea of just blank face staring at people who do it to you and waiting for them to give up.

That probably came from me, as I like to tell an anecdote about its ineffectiveness.

I have a friend who doesn't notice it at all. She has finished classes/workshops to find bruising all up her thighs from where people had been trying these things on her completely ineffectively over the previous 8 hours of mat time. Mind you, she's crazy and she has been doing judo for 30 years, so she's definitely not a typical specimen. But I've found that if you ignore it, people will eventually either stop, or they try to put extra force in and then lean into a scissor sweep, or they open up a triangle.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The pain shouldn't make you do anything. Now if they're using their elbows to leverage your legs apart that's a different story.

I used to be largely immune to it (after lots of training). I rolled for the first time in years a couple months ago, and a 14 year old girl practically made me weep when she used her elbows on me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Yeah I never figured it was about pain but about getting enough leverage to pass the guard. I should probably ask to learn more passes from that position anyways. Managed to get some work in on passing knee shield yesterday, thanks for the advice.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Youre instructor will probably tell you there are other more effective ways of passing anyway. Im one of those people that doesnt give a poo poo if you grind your elbows in. I notice white belts are the only ones that do this and they leave themselves vulnerable to a sweep when they pull this.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
There's a similar guard break that's a bit more technical (the first one here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6OXHhvKaSA&t=57s

The main points, as I learned it, are to anchor your hand somehow (either with a pants grip as shown above or just a no-thumb grip above the knee) and distribute the force across your forearm to make your arm harder to stuff for a triangle.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Kind of specific question but has anyone seen a good video that shows the transition from the cradle to back control? I've just been playing around this concept for a while and I like it ever since I watched an ADCC comp video of Agarzam and Cobrinha going at it and Cobrinha used this quite a few times. I just have problems trying to get control and get my hooks in. I just think I am missing some details...

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Captain Log posted:

Thanks duders. It's ALS, but for a terminal diagnosis you have to get a second opinion. We are hoping for severe lower spine damage to show up as an alternative.

Super best of luck with that second diagnosis! My mom had ALS for 11 years before succumbing and it's rough. But with modern technology it wasn't as bad as she expected it to be. Patientslikeme.com has a super solid ALS community, so if the diagnosis ends up as the worst, check them out.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nestharken posted:

There's a similar guard break that's a bit more technical (the first one here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6OXHhvKaSA&t=57s

The main points, as I learned it, are to anchor your hand somehow (either with a pants grip as shown above or just a no-thumb grip above the knee) and distribute the force across your forearm to make your arm harder to stuff for a triangle.

I like that slide out

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The elbow grind leaves people pretty vulnerable to simple cross collar choked in gi.

Also you can mitigate a lot of the pain by rolling your legs inward so they are pressing on the front of the leg rather than the side. Idk why this is and maybe it's just a me thing.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Youre instructor will probably tell you there are other more effective ways of passing anyway. Im one of those people that doesnt give a poo poo if you grind your elbows in. I notice white belts are the only ones that do this and they leave themselves vulnerable to a sweep when they pull this.

It’s not something that’s causing me serious grief, it’s just something that I want to discourage among some of my training partners. Like this one guy got really into can openers for awhile and I hit the same armbar on him five or six times and he never bothered with it after that. I can always wing their elbows outwards to break their posture down, but I never got good at turning that into a submission or anything. I was thinking that the funniest option might be to rest my hands under my head and look bored until they gave up.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If someone's grinding their elbows you can just post and technical stand up into a front headlock or whatever. There are much better positions than guard and if your opponent isn't stopping you from moving you should do so!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Tambreet posted:

Super best of luck with that second diagnosis! My mom had ALS for 11 years before succumbing and it's rough. But with modern technology it wasn't as bad as she expected it to be. Patientslikeme.com has a super solid ALS community, so if the diagnosis ends up as the worst, check them out.

Thanks man! I hadn't heard of that one yet and just bookmarked it.

Because of my age, I'd be expected to live longer than "average." I turned 34 on the 22nd and got diagnosed on the 20th, making me the doctor's youngest ALS dude ever. But average is this - 50% dead within three years. :stare:

I appreciate the well wishes and look forward to having a DDP Yoga thread to post somewhere in a few months.

If anyone in the PNW ever wants to go watch some grappling, hit me up!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Because of my age, I'd be expected to live longer than "average." I turned 34 on the 22nd and got diagnosed on the 20th, making me the doctor's youngest ALS dude ever. But average is this - 50% dead within three years. :stare:

I appreciate the well wishes and look forward to having a DDP Yoga thread to post somewhere in a few months.

:stare: indeed. That's pretty grim. :(

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Captain Log posted:

I actually think that yoga might be the best thing actually. Although I do grappling, I'd love to do yoga once my body retires me from grappling. Good luck Log.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Thanks guys. I'm going to give this bullshit disease hell OR become the first completely paralysed/deceased stand up comic.

Either/or. :)

The DDP thread has a lot of TFR interested. (The median age there is higher, which also means more chronic injuries) I'll make sure I post it here whenever it gets going. I'm moving next month, so that's first.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It’s not something that’s causing me serious grief, it’s just something that I want to discourage among some of my training partners. Like this one guy got really into can openers for awhile and I hit the same armbar on him five or six times and he never bothered with it after that. I can always wing their elbows outwards to break their posture down, but I never got good at turning that into a submission or anything. I was thinking that the funniest option might be to rest my hands under my head and look bored until they gave up.

I notice when people grind elbows they tend to only do it with one elbow and for a moment their posture is broken and their base is off. That is the perfect time to attack a sweep.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If someone's grinding their elbows you can just post and technical stand up into a front headlock or whatever. There are much better positions than guard and if your opponent isn't stopping you from moving you should do so!

A man after my own heart.

Though, you have to be quick with it, since someone using pressure/pain to open your guard probably has an idea of what to do when it does open.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe this is deserving of a post in the Yoga thread, but what's the difference between DDP's Yoga and like...idk....Yoga with Adrienne?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mekchu posted:

Maybe this is deserving of a post in the Yoga thread, but what's the difference between DDP's Yoga and like...idk....Yoga with Adrienne?

DDP Yoga ends with doing the Bang gesture

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

My yoga instructor girlfriend said DDP yoga is great since it’s gets a lot of people into yoga that wouldn’t other wise but it’s a little annoying because he renames all of the positions.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

DDP Yoga ends with doing the Bang gesture

gently caress yeah

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

omg chael crash posted:

My yoga instructor girlfriend said DDP yoga is great since it’s gets a lot of people into yoga that wouldn’t other wise but it’s a little annoying because he renames all of the positions.

So its just 10th Planet syle marketing for yoga?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mekchu posted:

So its just 10th Planet syle marketing for yoga?

Eh, sorta... kinda... not really. It's more of marketing gimmick to get bros to do yoga, where as Eddie just names his poo poo like he does, because that's how he rolls.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

gently caress yeah

thats not even a joke

I tried it out once and he legit ends with you doing the bang which as a mark owns but as an adult feels, uhhhh

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Personally, I've heard it's aimed at people who have chronic pain problems or physical disabilities. Being that I now have both, I like the look of it.

Also, a super enthusiastic pro wrestler will get my farther than a hot chick in yoga pants.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean, if we want to get really metaphorical/topical about it, DDP yoga is to yoga what BJJ is to, like, Aikido or Tai Chi or something.

It takes all the stuff that works, strips out all the metaphysical spiritual stuff, and basically just goes, "Look, do this because it does stuff"

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 29, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've done a bit of yoga on and off over the last 6 years or so and 100% the main thing is getting a teacher or instructor you like. I firmly believe that yoga can be for anyone, but the branding will make it or break it. My one club had a 3 month series that was "deep stretching for wrestlers" :v:

e. case in point...

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, if we want to get really metaphorical/topical about it, DDP yoga is to yoga what BJJ is to, like, Aikido or Tai Chi or something.

It takes all the stuff that works, strips out all the metaphysical spiritual stuff, and basically just goes, "Look, do this because it does stuff"

Not every teacher is about the metaphysical spiritual stuff. The yoga teacher who I liked best didn't get into that at all. She was more likely to send me pictures of cadavers as an illustration about how musculature functions than she was to try to sell me healing crystals. But she was also a hippie and fun.

In other news I've been on the mats for 11 consecutive days now, and 18 of the last 19 - been making the effort to find extra rolls or classes on the days where there are conflicts with my regular routine. Today and tomorrow I've been jumping in on a military unarmed combat class (taught by a purple belt who I know - it's basically CJJ).

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 29, 2018

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Jealous. I've always felt that multiple days in a row is one of the best things for making progress. I feel like by the third day in a row you're really writing poo poo to permanent memory and techniques start happening without even any conscious thought. It almost feels like your brain becomes an amused observer to the awesome things your body can do.

Question for the upper belts: what percentage of amateurs do you think make it to black belt without suffering some major injury. Something requiring surgery or a lengthy recovery, like ankles, knees, hips, shoulders or back/neck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ihop posted:

Jealous. I've always felt that multiple days in a row is one of the best things for making progress. I feel like by the third day in a row you're really writing poo poo to permanent memory and techniques start happening without even any conscious thought. It almost feels like your brain becomes an amused observer to the awesome things your body can do.

Question for the upper belts: what percentage of amateurs do you think make it to black belt without suffering some major injury. Something requiring surgery or a lengthy recovery, like ankles, knees, hips, shoulders or back/neck?

zero

maybe famous actors on that machado program that don't roll