Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mad Larry posted:

But the most telling moment was this. I bought a video of The Complete Bagpuss (i.e. a video containing all thirteen episodes of Bagpuss, in case "Complete Bagpuss" sounds like one of the more obscure insults of Frank Butcher), and had it with me at the Tavern. I was showing it to a female acquaintance, when Moffat swooped past and looked down at it.

'That's just saaad,' he said.

'But… but it's Bagpuss,' said my acquaintance.

And Moffat twisted his face into a revolted sneer before leaving us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's never liked Moffat, but a lot of what he said about the guy -- that Moffat was an egotistical arsehole -- turned out to be true.

However that doesn't preclude Miles from also being an egotistical rear end in a top hat...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The weirdest thing about following Doctor Who is that there are decades and decades of idiosyncratic personalities who have had prolonged slap fights over the show and its properties. Sometimes this thread can read like And then Nigel Farlowe-Smith said THIS and well I never!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

I guess for me the difference there is that it doesn't feel like an uncontrolled eruption of force. 11 is in complete and total control, he directs and focuses regeneration energy as a weapon to destroy the Daleks, then promptly shuts it all down without breaking a sweat and casually returns to his TARDIS to wander about musing happily about how much he enjoyed being himself, before saying goodbye to Clara and then with the barest flinch he's suddenly Capaldi.

This is a good point.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/SamanthaBeart/status/1011951578788581378

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What they don't mention is that India Fisher describes the meal to you as you pick it up :swoon:

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
Watching the series on Twitch -- it's been fantastic to revisit so many of the serials I haven't been able to see in quite some time without a BritBox subscription and/or much of a DVD collection. Shotgunning them like this is really taking me back to the joy of first discovering the show on PBS when I was a kid and reaffirming my personal conviction that Series 14 was The Best Series. (I don't mean to be contentious it's highly personal if not especially controversial opinion.)

One thing that really surprised me, though, is that Horror of Fang Rock was produced by Graham Williams and aired as the first serial of series 15. If I knew that I'd totally forgotten. I think I can be forgiven for lumping it in with series 14 in my head.

This leads to my question: This isn't really a Williams joint is it? I mean, it can't be. Was it all approved and whatnot by Hinchcliffe and just held over? I know that happened with, for example, Robot being a Letts story that Hinchcliffe was just nominally in charge of. I know this shift is explicitly to do with Mary Whitehouse and all of that but is there more story here? How quickly did Hinchcliffe leave the show?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

King Plum the Nth posted:

Shotgunning them like this is really taking me back to the joy of first discovering the show on PBS when I was a kid and reaffirming my personal conviction that Series 14 was The Best Series. (I don't mean to be contentious it's highly personal if not especially controversial opinion.)

It's pretty hard to pick from among the Tom Baker seasons. In fairness to the other 3-4 seasons Doctors, we should be able to count each of his two seasons and one. The seventh season can count on its own, because nobody will pick it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I believe Horror of Fang Rock was a quick re-write because an earlier Terrance Dicks script had been scrapped because it clashed with another BBC production at the time, and he would have written it very firmly with the Hinchliffe/Holmes era of the show in mind.

It really is hard to pick between seasons 12/13 & 14 of Tom Baker, they're all so strong. Season 12 is probably the most uneven but everything from Ark in Space through Genesis of the Daleks is so incredibly strong it still stands out.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 29, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, 12 is definitely my favorite, because even though I don't like Revenge of the Cybermen, it has some great moments, and the rest of it is so good (I like Robot way more than most people). But there is so much to love about 13 and 14, and I find it hard not to call one of the seasons where Tom Baker yells "Shut up, K-9!" my favorite.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Robot is definitely fun, it just feels like what it is: A Pertwee story featuring Tom Baker. Plus the special effects have aged HORRIBLY.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Robot is definitely fun, it just feels like what it is: A Pertwee story featuring Tom Baker. Plus the special effects have aged HORRIBLY.

That's the usual take, but I feel like the writing is a little different, and that the abysmal effects from that era depend largely upon how seriously you're supposed to take them (which, in this case...). For what it's worth, that's coming from someone who binge-watched the show in order, as an adult, which isn't the greatest for the Pertwee era (not that I didn't like it). Baker so immediately won me over in his portrayal that my enjoyment of the show increased a ton, and I actually think that both the writing and direction adjusted for him, and that the flaws are, weirdly, more with his acting. He's so obviously nervous and happy and he breaks continuously; it's by far his worst performance as the Doctor. But it's such a goofball serial in the first place that you kind of accept it, like you're watching the Carol Burnett show and somebody just starts laughing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Plus the special effects have aged HORRIBLY.
What effects from Who have aged well?

My nomination: the opening shot of Trial of the Timelord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D7y7mSaQxo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Robot has aged particularly badly, like Invasion of the Dinosaurs bad, but in Invasion, you laugh when you're supposed to be scared and in Robot, it feels like you're with the Doctor, who is rolling his eyes at the the way the Robot is inflated with you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Timelash still looks amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Don't get me wrong, Robot is a Pertwee story but I don't mean that Tom Baker is playing it as Jon Pertwee. A big part of the appeal for me is that this new Doctor is so vastly different from the one who would normally be undertaking this adventure. But I still think the story was initially written as a standard Pertwee and the changes in the Doctor's character/attitude came later in the process, probably with a significant amount of input from Tom.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!

Jerusalem posted:

I believe Horror of Fang Rock was a quick re-write because an earlier Terrance Dicks script had been scrapped because it clashed with another BBC production at the time, and he would have written it very firmly with the Hinchliffe/Holmes era of the show in mind.

Specifically, it was the story that eventually became State of Decay. It was put on ice because the Beeb was doing an adaptation of Dracula, and didn't want another vampire story airing around the same time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Don't get me wrong, Robot is a Pertwee story but I don't mean that Tom Baker is playing it as Jon Pertwee. A big part of the appeal for me is that this new Doctor is so vastly different from the one who would normally be undertaking this adventure. But I still think the story was initially written as a standard Pertwee and the changes in the Doctor's character/attitude came later in the process, probably with a significant amount of input from Tom.

"That's not what he's supposed to be doing!"

"Shut up and keep filming!"

"All of the dialogue is all wrong! Where did he even find a clown suit?"

"Shut up! We are his puppets now!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH I HAVE KILLED THE ONE WHO CREATED MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!11

Edit:

Also:

Harlan Ellison posted:

"Star Wars is adolescent nonsense; Close Encounters is obscurantist drivel; Star Trek can turn your brains to puree of bat guano; and the greatest science fiction series of all time is Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one or all in a bunch to back it up!"

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 29, 2018

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Scenes from a Hat!

“If Harlan Ellison wrote an episode of Doctor Who.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CobiWann posted:

Scenes from a Hat!

“If Harlan Ellison wrote an episode of Doctor Who.

“We regret to inform you that tonight’s broadcast has been cancelled pending a lawsuit from Mr. Ellison for ‘turning my script into an actual episode’”.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I remembered that Harlan Ellison quote yesterday. All I could image was that his last words were probably "Please...don't let my obituaries be about Star Trek...". Then yesterday, every obit I saw was:

"Scince Fiction Great, Star Trek Writer, Harlan Ellison Died."

Holy poo poo they weren't kidding about those lunches! I thought they were just like--tasty sandwiches.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Nah apparently a couple of the Big Finish producers are also big into cooking; and just decided to start cooking for all the actors and whatnot.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's the guy that owns the studio where they record but I could be remembering incorrectly

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Don;t know if he owns the studio, but it's their sound engineer Toby Hyreck-Robinson who makes all the lunches.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

As someone who has watched maybe 6 episodes of Classic Doctor Who ever, this Twitch live stream is wild. The 4th Doctor just pushed on nothing to move through the air because they were at the center of a planet and that's apparently how gravity works.

Does anyone know what episode this is? Just curious how far into Baker's run this is.

edit: This dangling sword execution machine is pretty metal, I'll admit.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 29, 2018

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Sounds like Underworld - it's about halfway through Tom's run.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

sinepost posted:

Sounds like Underworld - it's about halfway through Tom's run.

Looked up Underworld, and yup, that's it. Thanks!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Classic Who could be very naff

It also is a joy and a wonder.

Like, legit, the best scifi is probably done a little after Troughton's run, but the entire thing is just so goddamn good and has so many good things in it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The best year of Doctor Who in terms of sustained quality is clearly Pertwee's first year, fight me

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Burkion posted:

Classic Who could be very naff

It also is a joy and a wonder.

Like, legit, the best scifi is probably done a little after Troughton's run, but the entire thing is just so goddamn good and has so many good things in it.

Oh I'm having a good time, don't get me wrong.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Trin Tragula posted:

The best year of Doctor Who in terms of sustained quality is clearly Pertwee's first year, fight me

I am entirely with you on that. There has never been a better season of Doctor Who in the history of the program than Pertwee's first.

Top to bottom everything is either a stone cold classic or a hidden gem that no one talks about but super mega nerds.

I was just referring to classic SCIFI stuff, which was strongest in the black and white era.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My own favourites are 12, 13, 25 and 26.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Three of the serials are at least one episode too long and the switch to color makes some of the costumes (the Silurians in particular) look way more dated than the B&W serials, but the overall quality of the writing in that season is pretty decent. I guess it's hard to argue against, though, because the Troughton years packed about a jillion episodes into a single year, and Tom's first year has the bad Cyberman serial at the end of it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The best season is the Key to Time. Period.

Ten reasons why:

1. Romana I
2. Story arc through a whole season
3. Romana I
4. The Pirate Planet written by Douglas freaking Adams
5. Tom Bakers speech after he recovers the last piece.
6. Romana I
7. It’s so good they made a board game out of it
8. Romana I
9. Romana I
10. Romana I

:swoon:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also The Ribos Operation is a stone cold classic.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
binro was right, motherfucker

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Doctor Zero posted:

The best season is the Key to Time. Period.

Ten reasons why:

1. Romana I
2. Story arc through a whole season
3. Romana I
4. The Pirate Planet written by Douglas freaking Adams
5. Tom Bakers speech after he recovers the last piece.
6. Romana I
7. It’s so good they made a board game out of it
8. Romana I
9. Romana I
10. Romana I

Two reasons why not:

1) The Power of Kroll
2) not Romana II

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You hear that? That'ssss the sound of this forum, sssscreaming out its rage!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Burkion posted:

I am entirely with you on that. There has never been a better season of Doctor Who in the history of the program than Pertwee's first Sylvester's last.

Top to bottom everything is either a stone cold classic or a hidden gem that no one talks about but super mega nerds.
:colbert:

Burkion posted:

I was just referring to classic SCIFI stuff, which was strongest in the black and white era.

One thing you only got in the black and white stories were logic puzzles that actually spent time working out the solution, like the Doctor figuring out the controls in "Tomb" or Vicki getting the automated system to grant her the power to bring the world revolution in "Space Museum."

• Locked thread