Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Alrighty, I'll just peace out from the thread and just watch the gently caress out of the show. I do like it a lot. about halfway through the gathering, and I don't see what all the hate is for, apart from some really weak acting from the Lt. Com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vavrek posted:

I've been trying to remember what all was in the original set of Babylon 5 stuff I watched. It was, I think, a set of official VHS tapes, for ... Season One, maybe part of Season Two but maybe not, In The Beginning, and I honestly don't remember if The Gathering was part of it or not.

If it was the Beyond Vision series, they had pairs of episodes in numbered volumes. The Gathering was also part of the releases and had the same box format, but it was unnumbered.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's impossible to reply to this post without making something that wasn't a spoiler into one

Ehhh I think it’s safe to say that some big end game events are mentioned so early on on in the series that just knowing they are coming isn’t a spoiler because how they get there is the real fun. It’s never what it seems on the surface.

Narzack posted:

Alrighty, I'll just peace out from the thread and just watch the gently caress out of the show. I do like it a lot. about halfway through the gathering, and I don't see what all the hate is for, apart from some really weak acting from the Lt. Com.

If you can stand the temptation, come in and post periodic impressions. We love living vicariously through a first timers eyes.

E: FFS twice in two pages. v:shobon:v

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 13, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Narzack posted:

Please keep posting in this thread so we can live vicariously through fresh new eyes

Give us your innocence...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

Ehhh I think it’s safe to say that some big end game events are mentioned so early on on in the series that just knowing they are coming isn’t a spoiler because how they get there is the real fun. It’s never what it seems on the surface.

I know what you're referring to, but it's not until the middle of S2 that you're told it's true. Up to that point there's no reason to think that it is true.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Narzack posted:

poo poo, man, some motherfucker spoileda major character death on this page

It's nothing like you think. He means "Old age" death, not "oh yeah, he dies in episode X of Season Y". The series has some brief glimpses of the future in the later arcs.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's nothing like you think. He means "Old age" death, not "oh yeah, he dies in episode X of Season Y". The series has some brief glimpses of the future in the later arcs.

This is what I meant when I said that clarifying would be a spoiler

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

In series four in the ISN interview episode they say that 2018 was the year the first lunar base was established, so I guess Babylon 5 is what happens in the timeline where Newt Gingrich won the elections. Also in that episode where Marcus and Doctor Franklin smuggle themselves to Mars there's a joke subplot about same sex marriage being legal, so they have to pretend to be newlyweds.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Baka-nin posted:

In series four in the ISN interview episode they say that 2018 was the year the first lunar base was established, so I guess Babylon 5 is what happens in the timeline where Newt Gingrich won the elections. Also in that episode where Marcus and Doctor Franklin smuggle themselves to Mars there's a joke subplot about same sex marriage being legal, so they have to pretend to be newlyweds.

And the Pope is a woman.

When a pilgrim is begging Sheridan for a blessing, Garibaldi snaps, "He's not the Pope! He doesn't look anything like her!"

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Milky Moor posted:

And the Pope is a woman.

When a pilgrim is begging Sheridan for a blessing, Garibaldi snaps, "He's not the Pope! He doesn't look anything like her!"

That was a thing in the very very bland Robocop TV show too. The new pope was Mary II, a black woman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It's a sci-fi cliche that the Pope is a woman and the US President is black. It's meant to show how much society has progressed and grown in the future.

Then we got one of them, and welp, turns out society didn't progress or grow at all.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
The curse strikes again, Harlan Ellison now.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/harlan-ellison-dies-sci-fi-writer-was-84-1202419133/

Well, maybe not. Unlike some of the others he lived to a good age and had a long career outside the show. One of the last from that golden era of sci-fi writers, I guess.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

V-Men posted:

Roddenberry must have gotten kookier with age. In TOS he had Nichelle Nichols read for the parts of Spock and Bones because he hadn't decided that their characters would be male.

I think it was senility or drug abuse that did this. I did 50 year mission on audiobook and Gene apparently went from telling a tv station in the South to literally gently caress off when they complained about Uhura, to being super racist and sexists in meetings during TNG.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gene's Vision, inasmuch as it's remembered (peaceful post-scarcity Utopia where no one suffers), didn't really exist until he started working on the script for what became The Motion Picture.

By that point, his brain was addled from three decades of alcoholism, smoking himself stupid on whatever weed he could get his hands on regardless of quality, and smoking whatever else looked good. Then he was an early adopter of LSD, just as he was with cocaine, and he took to coke like a fish to water.

Dude was a goddamn mess over his last 15 years, driven by money and sex, because his brain was too fried to imagine otherwise.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Maelstache posted:

https://deadline.com/2018/06/harlan-ellison-dies-sci-fi-writer-was-84-1202419133/

Well, maybe not. Unlike some of the others he lived to a good age and had a long career outside the show. One of the last from that golden era of sci-fi writers, I guess.

With LeGuin dead who else is left?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maelstache posted:

RIP, the most cantankerous man to walk the earth. I humbly submit that Ellison not be included in the curse; he lived a long, full life and this wasn't unexpectedly early.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LongDarkNight posted:

Silverberg is still kicking!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Maelstache posted:

Sucks. But he’s been in poor health for a while.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

LongDarkNight posted:

Michael Moorcock, Robert Silverberg, Gene Wolfe are Samuel R Delany are still kicking around.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Maelstache posted:

Michael Moorcock, Robert Silverberg, Gene Wolfe are Samuel R Delany are still kicking around.

They're not actually Golden Age. Golden Age ran up to 1946, and the only author I know of who is still alive from that period is James Gunn.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Hmm, Guess I should finally dig my copy of Dangerous Vision's from the cupboard and finish it. Speaking of which Ellison's contribution to it has very strong connections to the episode The Inquisitor. Ellison apparently had a decades spanning obsession with the old Ripper.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Baka-nin posted:

Hmm, Guess I should finally dig my copy of Dangerous Vision's from the cupboard and finish it. Speaking of which Ellison's contribution to it has very strong connections to the episode The Inquisitor. Ellison apparently had a decades spanning obsession with the old Ripper.

That episode comes from JMS’ obsession with ol Jack. He even gives his own opinions of his true identity in the script book. Although as consultant I’m sure Uncle Harlan has a hand in it too.

Come to think of it, I think it was required that any sci-if TV show between 1960 and 1995 have a Jack the Ripper story.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Doctor Zero posted:

That episode comes from JMS’ obsession with ol Jack. He even gives his own opinions of his true identity in the script book. Although as consultant I’m sure Uncle Harlan has a hand in it too.

Come to think of it, I think it was required that any sci-if TV show between 1960 and 1995 have a Jack the Ripper story.

JMS sharing the obsession would explain how it got shot and broadcast, given how well, unique it is, but the episode is just a transplant of Ellison's short story "The Prowler in the City at the Edge of the World" Jack has the same motivations for the killings and both Jack's were sent into the future by a group of people who are so technologically advanced they may as well be magic. He becomes their puppet and both have this weird need to empathise with the `woe is me` pleas from a brutal serial killer. And Ellison wasn't one to let people even potentially get away with slightly ripping off his ideas without raising a massive fuss in public so they must have come to an agreement.

Even the structure with Delenn's interrogation is quite similar to Jack and Juliette. Basically what I'm saying is if you liked Comes the Inquisitor but are curious to see what would happen if Delenn failed track down The Prowler in the City.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Baka-nin posted:

JMS sharing the obsession would explain how it got shot and broadcast, given how well, unique it is, but the episode is just a transplant of Ellison's short story "The Prowler in the City at the Edge of the World" Jack has the same motivations for the killings and both Jack's were sent into the future by a group of people who are so technologically advanced they may as well be magic. He becomes their puppet and both have this weird need to empathise with the `woe is me` pleas from a brutal serial killer. And Ellison wasn't one to let people even potentially get away with slightly ripping off his ideas without raising a massive fuss in public so they must have come to an agreement.

Even the structure with Delenn's interrogation is quite similar to Jack and Juliette. Basically what I'm saying is if you liked Comes the Inquisitor but are curious to see what would happen if Delenn failed track down The Prowler in the City.

Interesting. I haven’t read the story, just JMS’ account. Since Harlan was a consultant I’m sure he had a huge influence. JMS freely admits that. I’ll have to look it up.

E: poo poo. I just realized my dad had Dangerous Visions and Again, Dangerous Visions. I read them both ages ago, but when he passed I got a bunch of books and they weren’t in there. Huh. He must have donated them or something. Oh well. Ordered both. :cheers:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 29, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BrandonGK posted:

There's a part of me that wishes we could've had a Babylon 5/DS9 crossover just to see an indignant speech-off between Bruce Boxleitner and Avery Brooks.

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 29, 2018

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

One thing I'll never forgot about Star Trek TNG/DS9 was that they cast the best actors as Cardassians. Like it was on their casting sheet "Be able to go toe to toe with Patrick Stewart or similar"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doctor Zero posted:

That's why I suggest In The Beginning to hook new folks on the show. Its CGI is as good as B5 gets, you meet all the characters, and get a taste of most of the plotlines.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

One thing I'll never forgot about Star Trek TNG/DS9 was that they cast the best actors as Cardassians. Like it was on their casting sheet "Be able to go toe to toe with Patrick Stewart or similar"

Oh I completely agree, the actors portraying Cardassians wipe the floor with everyone else, Gul Dukat especially. That's why I'm a cardie tankie.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's awesome as-is, but I think I preferred it as a simple line drawing tbh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Q_res posted:

That's awesome as-is, but I think I preferred it as a simple line drawing tbh.

It's not actually shaded yet but I won't have time until later.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

pentyne posted:

Tomalak was not a Spoonhead :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been watching through DS9, and Gol Dukat is one of my favorite characters. All that weird moral complexity, becoming one of the most sympathetic Cardassians in between moments where he just does something objectively horrible.

I just got to the Pah Wraith cult episode, and...drat. What's most disturbing is how real it all is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've been watching through DS9, and Gol Dukat is one of my favorite characters. All that weird moral complexity, becoming one of the most sympathetic Cardassians in between moments where he just does something objectively horrible.

I just got to the Pah Wraith cult episode, and...drat. What's most disturbing is how real it all is.

I've been rewatching it too, and I've actually come to love any scene involving Kai Winn. Every word she speaks has some underhanded inference behind it, and just about everyone else can still talk circles around her because they're not taking any of her poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
All the Cardassians are great. It's like listening to what Bashir is saying the first time we meet Tain. Tain's telling the lies he needs to get Bashir to tell the truth that Tain wants to know, and he uses his lies to disguise why he wants to know it. Good poo poo.

Why, at those best moments, it's almost as good as Babylon 5 is all the time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've been rewatching it too, and I've actually come to love any scene involving Kai Winn. Every word she speaks has some underhanded inference behind it, and just about everyone else can still talk circles around her because they're not taking any of her poo poo.

Looking back on it, Winn is the personification of *~decorum~*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McSpanky posted:

Looking back on it, Winn is the personification of *~decorum~*

I absolutely agree with that description.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the things I really like about B5 over DS9 is that DS9 has a bad habit of slipping into too formal of a tone, whereas B5 sounds more like people talking naturally.

It can be kinda fun though, that all the Klingon scenes play out like Macbeth, and B5 can't produce something like this

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pick posted:

All the Cardassians are great. It's like listening to what Bashir is saying the first time we meet Tain. Tain's telling the lies he needs to get Bashir to tell the truth that Tain wants to know, and he uses his lies to disguise why he wants to know it. Good poo poo.

Why, at those best moments, it's almost as good as Grey 17 Is Missing.

Fixed that for you.

I really don't agree with starting people off with ITB. It was meant for people picking up the show very late, and it spoils a lot.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

"Convince me that there are five lights."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not having Winn show up more to get under literally everyone else's skin with pitch perfect disdainful niceness was the one major loss to pushing Bajor to the side in the later seasons.