Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tactics Ogre PSP is still one of my most favorite games. Fire Emblem is my favorite franchise, but there is so much depth and content in that PSP game that maybe only the tellius games can scratch in the whole package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tactics ogre is a game I have no desire to play again, but loved when I did play it. there's a few questionable decisions in there but I really like the way it did a lot of things

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There hasn't been a good FFT-like in over a decade other than remakes, that subgenre is long dead too.

The two things that set Fire Emblem above and apart are, imo, the extremely transparent and easy to parse numbers and mechanics, and having unique characters for units instead of generics.

I don't understand why no other company has tried to capitalize on this market. Everyone and their mother tripped over themselves to make a battle royale game, and a MOBA before that, and a war FPS before that, etc. but the Fire Emblem type SRPG genre is dead outside the series.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume is a legit FE-like come to think of it. Not a complete clone but has enough of the core elements.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The point of cribbing a style is to hound on the market value. Fire Emblem itself wasn't a huge seller up until like 5-6 years ago.

Did you know Fortnite's population, 70% of them spend money?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Did you know that Camelot, the makers of the Mario sports games are also the original makers of the shining series before they left Sega? There's some rumors running around that now that they have plans to make a new shining game themselves.
Not sure if they have the rights to do that, but maybe?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

The point of cribbing a style is to hound on the market value. Fire Emblem itself wasn't a huge seller up until like 5-6 years ago.

In addition, the transparent mechanics aren't as obvious a strength as the character thing. Post-Awakening, the one mass release clone I can think of (the 3DS Der Langrisser) focused in on the anime girls thing as opposed to, you know, being good as a tactics game.

Hell, Fates ignored the benefits of transparent mechanics in Conquest, with the complications of dual guard and stat penalties making every turn lategame kind of a clusterfuck.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You disliked the good one and liked the bad ones? Hell, you disliked the tone in FFT but liked "we hosed up the protagonist writing so hard he comes across as the big bad" FFTA? Weird.

ok well thanks for the snarky dismissive input, rude internet person.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Looks around at all the arguments about non-FE SRPGs

Has only played Fire Emblem, XCOM and Stella Glow

Uhhh... Eliwood x Ninian?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think SRW is a fine SRPG. Never really challenging, and terrain like... does NOT matter when 99% of your army flies, but still super fun.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

fft is okay, but also it ruined the genre

I can agree with that. FFT clones tend to be awful.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I really like generics because I really like building my own characters. That's something FFT-style SRPGs bring for me at least. FE brings the relationships between an entire cast of unique characters instead of just a handful. Also peg knights. They each have merits, but I can see why everyone kinda agrees FFT hosed everything up.

FFTA2 being bad is a surprisingly hot take though. The story is nowhere near as dumb as FFTA since it's much more straightforward and the gameplay is great.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FFTA2 is good mechanically but the story is, literally, "you're in another world where you get to have adventures with no danger or consequence, and your goal here is to go gently caress around aimlessly for a while until you get bored." And then a demon shows up for no reason to be the final boss. Out of 400 missions only 20 are "storyline" missions, and like half of those are filler that only get counted as storyline missions because you have to beat them to get to the next one. Like, yeah, A2's story isn't as dumb as A's, but that's because it barely has a story at all, it's 95% MMO-style sidequests.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

megane posted:

FFTA2 is good mechanically but the story is, literally, "you're in another world where you get to have adventures with no danger or consequence, and your goal here is to go gently caress around aimlessly for a while until you get bored." And then a demon shows up for no reason to be the final boss. Out of 400 missions only 20 are "storyline" missions, and like half of those are filler that only get counted as storyline missions because you have to beat them to get to the next one. Like, yeah, A2's story isn't as dumb as A's, but that's because it barely has a story at all, it's 95% MMO-style sidequests.

yeah it owns

sometimes you just wanna have adventures with no danger or consequence with your good friend the pizza cutter sword man

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 29, 2018

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm currently playing through FE4 and part of me wonders if the Jugdral games weren't ghostwritten by Matsuno

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

dmboogie posted:

yeah it owns

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

inthesto posted:

I'm currently playing through FE4 and part of me wonders if the Jugdral games weren't ghostwritten by Matsuno

Nah, Kaga also has a massive hard-on for history stuff. Also, I figure most people here haven't seen it, have this interview between Kaga and Sakaguchi around FE3/FF6 Release

http://shmuplations.com/fireemblem/

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

inthesto posted:

It's bizarre how the lack of visual clarity was something introduced to RotDD and not present in any of the other games (except ShF3, but that was the first 3D game and you could rotate the camera anyway). Compare Omni's screenshot to this, which is most likely the same map:

You know exactly where everything sits and how far it is from everything else. The GBA remake really beefed that single incredibly important thing.

Shining Force 3 is worth a spin if you have the patience to make a Saturn emulator work. It has weapon ranks, supports, magic that isn't useless (easily the biggest problem in the series), bonus puzzle maps, and an engaging story.

Sadly, the Shining brand has been repurposed for incredibly generic RPGs marketed towards anime dorks.

This conversation made me download Saturne last night. I managed to get the bios loaded and running but I can't seem to get the rom to load. I only messed with it for like an hour though.

I also have the Sega CD SF. I think that was probably the first blow to the series since there were virtually no changes to the mechanics from the first 2 games and they played like the game gear games. One thing I loved about the original was being able to walk around and explore between battles even if it was basically pointless.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

FFTA2 might not have a great narrative with its main character, but the worldbuilding is immensely incredible and entertaining and I love it to death.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Tactics Advance games are Good because they let me play with the Best Race, Bangaa.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

I think SRW is a fine SRPG. Never really challenging, and terrain like... does NOT matter when 99% of your army flies, but still super fun.

I really like the per-map resource management that SRW has in managing your SP and EN and spreading out kills so all your boss killers get enough Will while still killing the trash efficiently. A lot of this breaks down in later parts of most SRW games but it's really great when those aspects are still relevant. And at the end of the day it's still fun to watch some well animated robots punch each other.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FFTA's story is good. It's about saving your friend from himself.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Has no one mentioned Advance Wars yet

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
advanced wars is a game with surprisingly tight gameplay that got worse and worse the further in the series it went because of the need to expand content with new COs and units (see; any given MP scenario bans the new units because they're broken)

it peaked, it's dead now

chucklefish is making a clone of it and lmao at that panning out, it's chucklefish

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you want to be pedantic, Advance Wars is just a strategy game and not an SRPG.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I never really gave Advance Wars a fair shot because I disliked the mechanic where low HP units are weaker a lot

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is there an idiot's guide to the Tactics Advances games?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Gamerofthegame posted:

advanced wars is a game with surprisingly tight gameplay that got worse and worse the further in the series it went because of the need to expand content with new COs and units (see; any given MP scenario bans the new units because they're broken)

it peaked, it's dead now

chucklefish is making a clone of it and lmao at that panning out, it's chucklefish

days of ruin is about as balanced and thought out as that series could probably get

it toned down the insane craziness of dual strike (which was insanely stupid but ofc really entertaining/funny)

DoR was probably their way of delving more deeply into the core mechanics of the game that didn't completely revolve around commanders and their abilities, which maybe you could argue that with a series like advance wars, the game isn't technically complex enough to rely solely on that aspect of the game and was probably a huge mistake

but it was maybe interesting to see them dial back the insanity and attempt to create a strategy game that tried to be more down to earth and balanced, coming from the previous games where they were just completely broken

General Morden fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 29, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I've been replaying FE8 just for fun, and I'm not sure whether or not to do Ephraim Hard or Eirika Hard this time around

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

General Morden posted:

days of ruin is about as balanced and thought out as that series could probably get

it toned down the insane craziness of dual strike (which was insanely stupid but ofc really entertaining/funny)

DoR was probably their way of delving more deeply into the core mechanics of the game that didn't completely revolve around commanders and their abilities, which maybe you could argue that with a series like advance wars, the game isn't technically complex enough to rely solely on that aspect of the game and was probably a huge mistake

but it was maybe interesting to see them dial back the insanity and attempt to create a strategy game that tried to be more down to earth and balanced, coming from the previous games where it was just completely broken

now I will admit I haven't played dor, I only saw the LP and the game came out after the AW boom already died off on the net at large, but

this was also the game where your COs could attach to units and turn them into gokus

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

now I will admit I haven't played dor, I only saw the LP and the game came out after the AW boom already died off on the net at large, but

this was also the game where your COs could attach to units and turn them into gokus

the best CO in that game wasn't even a CO that had a unique ability

his "unique ability" was the fact that he had the largest command zone of all the leaders (besides the end boss) and that was it

that just goes to show you how much they tried to de-emphasize the leaders themselves and focus in more on the core mechanics of the series (you could argue that the game probably couldn't stand on its own heels by simply focusing on that)

which was maybe misguided considering how much people loved all the stupid dumb poo poo you could pull off in dual strike and how powerful the leaders were in that game

i wanted to make a fg comparison here but

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Tired Moritz posted:

you shouldn't need one. they're not particularly hard

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i dont think you know how much of a dumbass I am. the card system still confuses me to this day.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

they are cute little fun games that are more easy to get into/approachable than fft

you could pull off some funny dumb poo poo in ffta but they toned most of that stuff down in ffta2 (which kinda sucks honestly)

most of the new races/classes introduced in ffta2 were kinda underwhelming too

General Morden fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 29, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Advance Wars faced a dilemma: the game got better the less the COs mattered, as the basic tactical elements were most interesting when the armies have symmetrical abilities; but mechanical reinforcement makes the characters more memorable, and a colorful cast of characters is an effective way to sell video games. They failed to find a structure that would let them improve both of the main good things about the game at the same time.

I loved the goofball cartoon war aesthetic precisely because of how little sense it made if you thought about it for even a short amount of time. But I don't think it'd have held up if they were to try to add more character development.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Advance Wars faced a dilemma: the game got better the less the COs mattered, as the basic tactical elements were most interesting when the armies have symmetrical abilities
I don't necessarily agree. The basic tactical elements become more interesting, but at the same time there's an interesting meta-game element to the COs and how they play into each other. More than that, the peaks and valleys of the COP/SCOP system allow for actual breaking of stalemates and an ebb of flow of gameplay, versus just a meatgrinder where the game's kind of decided by turn 15 but you have to slowly keep grinding into each other. A decent defensive formation in Days of Ruin can take an eternity to punch through, especially if there's an enemy base nearby and they have a decent income. Bikes deal with this somewhat, since they're a mobile unit that can capture, but if the enemy has the capacity to protect most of their resources you'll just have to grind them down inch by inch, even if you're clearly got them on the defensive and the only way they're going to win is human error on your part.

It might be a more 'balanced' game, but balance and 'better' are two different things

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Hellioning posted:

The Tactics Advance games are Good because they let me play with the Best Race, Bangaa.

This is a right and good opinion that I wish more people shared.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why do people hate on Dimitri's design?

Okay, the hair looks a bit funny, but I still think it looks fine.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

General Morden posted:

the best CO in that game wasn't even a CO that had a unique ability

his "unique ability" was the fact that he had the largest command zone of all the leaders (besides the end boss) and that was it

that just goes to show you how much they tried to de-emphasize the leaders themselves and focus in more on the core mechanics of the series (you could argue that the game probably couldn't stand on its own heels by simply focusing on that)

which was maybe misguided considering how much people loved all the stupid dumb poo poo you could pull off in dual strike and how powerful the leaders were in that game

i wanted to make a fg comparison here but

isn't isabella considered overpowered in days of ruin almost solely based on basically having a AWDS COP in the wrong game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

Why do people hate on Dimitri's design?

Okay, the hair looks a bit funny, but I still think it looks fine.

Because memes man

And because he's the the white pretty boy of the main trio so it's fine to dunk on him