Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Watched Kimber Lee vs Jordynne Grace from Beyond Wrestling, and that was quite the train wreck.

Kim was blown up three minutes in, and then Jordynne seemed to get knocked woozy. They kind of got it together for a while until they hit the finishing stretch. Jordynne went for the Vader Bomb and Kim was supposed to roll out of the way but she barely moved and got squashed. Then Kim went for the Swanton but misjudges badly and absolutely crushes Jordynne.

I get you want to put Kim over strong in her return, going over Tessa Blanchard the night before too, but with how over Jordynne is in Beyond and how awful Kim looked here I have to think Drew really regrets how he booked this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Johnny Landmine posted:

Oh word? They must use different shirts than the Oedo Tai ones. I usually wear a US L/Japan XL but decided to risk it on an L Kagetsu symbol shirt that turned out to fit me like Under Armor (and not in a good way). It's a rad shirt, too. I might just end up making it into a backpatch.

Maybe not, but the JAN shirt fits me like a tight US XL shirt does (the ones I can still squeeze into, that is; I ballooned when I came here because Japanese food is just... too... good...). I find my size is closer to the Japanese 5L, but not even all the time as I find shirts that size tend to run a bit short.

Anyway, very few Japanese people I know are aware of wrestling outside of WWE and maybe New Japan so the context doesn't get across to them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Watched Kimber Lee vs Jordynne Grace from Beyond Wrestling, and that was quite the train wreck.

Kim was blown up three minutes in, and then Jordynne seemed to get knocked woozy. They kind of got it together for a while until they hit the finishing stretch. Jordynne went for the Vader Bomb and Kim was supposed to roll out of the way but she barely moved and got squashed. Then Kim went for the Swanton but misjudges badly and absolutely crushes Jordynne.

I get you want to put Kim over strong in her return, going over Tessa Blanchard the night before too, but with how over Jordynne is in Beyond and how awful Kim looked here I have to think Drew really regrets how he booked this.

if you're talking about the 4/29th matchup, I thought that match was a gritty fight. Kimber hits way out of her weight class and Jordynne's only getting stronger. Good poo poo would watch again.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

coconono posted:

if you're talking about the 4/29th matchup, I thought that match was a gritty fight. Kimber hits way out of her weight class and Jordynne's only getting stronger. Good poo poo would watch again.

Let's just say I strongly disagree. How about Kimber badly botching both big spots at the end?

BTW, I really have no idea where the weight class comes in. If Kimber weighs less than Jordynne it's absolutely minimal, although Jordynne is in far better shape.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Neither of them limped out of the ring or died so no botch.

Hitting out of weight class is a euphemism for hitting harder than one's appearance suggests. sheesh.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Kimber looks exactly the same as she did pre-WWE, she's never impaired the ring and why WWE got rid of her a complete mystery.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Didn't know where else to put this, plus GLOW's success has been mentioned here before so

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1008741159617859585

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rovert posted:

Kimber looks exactly the same as she did pre-WWE, she's never impaired the ring and why WWE got rid of her a complete mystery.

I thought she was little thicker than during her run with the Kimber Bombs, but that's whatever. She still wrestles in a way I greatly enjoy. I assumed her WWE run ended because she was tired of dealing with constant internal bullshit and that's perfectly fine imo.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

coconono posted:

I thought she was little thicker than during her run with the Kimber Bombs, but that's whatever. She still wrestles in a way I greatly enjoy. I assumed her WWE run ended because she was tired of dealing with constant internal bullshit and that's perfectly fine imo.

False

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I heard she was unpleasant to be around and unreceptive to criticism.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

None of her TV matches in NXT were good at all. She looked slow and just not into it. Maybe she was better at house shows, but on TV she never gave anyone a reason to care or be interested. I was super stoked for her getting sign because I had always enjoyed Chikara and seeing her there when I lived back in PA but I was pretty disappointed.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/AlMac_GMS/status/1009095766391099393

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Frankly, I'd totally tune in for an NXT/205 style all women show.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Phenix Rising posted:

None of her TV matches in NXT were good at all. She looked slow and just not into it. Maybe she was better at house shows, but on TV she never gave anyone a reason to care or be interested. I was super stoked for her getting sign because I had always enjoyed Chikara and seeing her there when I lived back in PA but I was pretty disappointed.

Her MYC matches were really good IMO, esp the first one vs Alpha Female.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
It slipped under my radar, but Io had her farewell party for STARDOM today*.

*She actually has one date left, but its an autograph session. :ssh:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1009798726112677888

I would expect announcements to probably start next week. Io and Meiko are very likely going to be announced as participants during the Japan shows next week.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/RISEdtwa/status/1011107681485156354

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't RISE under fire from some people for some questionable business decisions, Rovert?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DarkstarIV posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't RISE under fire from some people for some questionable business decisions, Rovert?

They had a funding scheme that involved paying for a seminar spot to get booked, which is iffy but not terribly outside the realm of acceptability in indie wrestling.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
If their business plan was relying on paid seminars long term it's no wonder they're struggling. You might get good attendance a few times, but people aren't going to attend more than a few times. You're going to wear out the potential customer base quickly, and the recruitment to women's wrestling isn't nearly strong enough to replenish the pool quick enough.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Hey Rovert, any idea what is going on with Toni? Apparently she cut some sort of promo at a recent Shin Kiba show in STARDOM where she came across as incredibly bitter and lashed out at everyone in a non-kayfabe way? She also hinted at blaming WWE for something. Could there be friction already?

Apparently she's already starting to crack under pressure due to "unfair" criticism from fans?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If you're talking about about the promo that just went up, there was nothing that suggested she was talking about WWE but said she wouldn't say anything because she'd get in trouble and apologised for existing sarcastically. Then Deonna said that Toni was leaving her and Zoe Lucas because of "you guys". It was weird.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Haven't Japanese smarks always given her poo poo?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

rovert posted:

It seemed like she made a remark about how if she really commented on how she felt, she would get in trouble with a certain company, which is why she's keeping her mouth shut.

And yes, a few hundred fans give her hell. I can't imagine what it'll be like in WWE then when that number goes from few hundred to tens of thousands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The WWE audience is probably a bit less racist to white women.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

If their business plan was relying on paid seminars long term it's no wonder they're struggling. You might get good attendance a few times, but people aren't going to attend more than a few times. You're going to wear out the potential customer base quickly, and the recruitment to women's wrestling isn't nearly strong enough to replenish the pool quick enough.

RISE had a really weird business model. Kevin Harvey started it as a feeder system for SHIMMER that would run training seminars the day before the SHIMMER tapings with the idea that it would draw a bunch of girls that would want to get on those shows.

Their first show was a modest success. The wrestling was, on a whole, really bad, but it drew fairly well and did its job of getting the seminar people onto SHIMMER. He tried a similar thing with a men's show, which was a disaster. The second women's show did better than the first one, and then he tried to take the concept from 0-60.

He started booking the shows around bigger "name" indie talent (including flying international talent in for his joint show with AWS in LA), and the new seminar talent was basically relegated to dark matches and jobbing to the "stars". So people stopped spending a bunch of money to fly across the country and paying a bunch of money for the seminar for maybe the opportunity to wrestle in a gauntlet match with Zoe Lucas. He also raised ticket prices for the show from $10/$5 to $50/$25, which made smart business sense, but probably didn't endear himself to the crowd that was already paying up to $300 that weekend. (All the while bragging that the last RISE show in Berwyn had outdrawn SHIMMER that weekend).

Then he announced a partnership with Impact to do a weekly TV show (which seemed doomed from the start) and put all his money on being able to draw a big crowd to Illinois on a holiday weekend when he isn't partnered with SHIMMER. And now it sounds like he's left holding the bag having to pay off a bunch of international talent without a crowd.

In some sense, I feel bad, because the idea behind RISE was a good one. The SHIMMER roster has never been thinner and the first few RISE shows were really great about bringing in new talent and getting them booked. But, like any good promoter, Kevin tried to turn a modestly successful side project into a stand alone product and it flopped miserably.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

rovert posted:

Aphrodite posted:

The WWE audience is probably a bit less racist to white women.

I don't really have much to go on but anecdotes from reading tweets in both languages and attending Stardom shows, but as far as I can tell, Toni gets way more hate from non-Japanese joshi fans than Japanese. Japanese fans are generally positive about most of the foreigners Stardom brings in and the general reaction I hear from folks I've talked to seems to be that she should've been around more with the belt but they like her as a wrestler.

e: NB that I haven't seen the promo in question yet so I dunno if there's any new context to follow up on or if she's just carrying on with the one she did before she dropped the belt to Kagetsu.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 27, 2018

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

get the gently caress in, yall

https://twitter.com/SHIMMERwomen/status/1012414775542910976

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

*biggest super sentai voice*
STREAM
SHIN
*transforms into rabbit*

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wish someone would combine all of these services for one price because I'm also very excited for Sendai Girls.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/marcmaron/status/1012473568863481857

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Phenix Rising posted:

I wish someone would combine all of these services for one price because I'm also very excited for Sendai Girls.

Powerslam.tv is the closest we’re getting but even that’s just curated shows not full library.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
We should get the official announcement of Io Shirai signing with WWE this weekend, I think. Along with her being a part of the Mae Young Classic. Same goes for Meiko Satomura being part of the MYC.

We'll know by Saturday afternoon or so, I imagine. Maybe Sunday. Can't wait to see what type of name Io picked for her WWE ring name.

Unrelated but:

https://twitter.com/WWEJapan/status/1012487927660621824

I still can't get over how different Bull Nakano looks compared to her old wrestling days.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If she plans to finish out with WWE she doesn't necessarily need a new one.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Even if you're not interested in signing up for the Sendai Girls streaming, retweet this to get the free match?

https://twitter.com/sendaiglobal/status/1011496063763542017

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ugh. Because of Sendai Girls I've just come across Demand Progress on PivotShare as well. Why does streaming wrestling have to be so plentiful, albeit cheap? This poo poo adds up!

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Planning on signing up for Sendai Girls the moment it's July because a tag match main event with Mio Momono and Hiroyo Matsumoto vs. DASH Chisako and Kaoru has gotta be worth six bucks by itself

edit: Actually I guess being on Pivotshare means it might not be the standard Japanese monthly subscription deal where you get charged when you sign up and then again on the 1st regardless? I don't remember how it was when I subscribed to Progress.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 29, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

Planning on signing up for Sendai Girls the moment it's July because a tag match main event with Mio Momono and Hiroyo Matsumoto vs. DASH Chisako and Kaoru has gotta be worth six bucks by itself

edit: Actually I guess being on Pivotshare means it might not be the standard Japanese monthly subscription deal where you get charged when you sign up and then again on the 1st regardless? I don't remember how it was when I subscribed to Progress.

Pivotshare goes by the date you sign up, so if you sign up today you won't be charged again until July 28th. The main event was good stuff as was Meiko beating up a young girl. They also subtitle promos. Unfortunately, they cut out entrances which sucks considering how great Meiko's theme is.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
I will subscribe to the SHIMMER service but Dave has pretty much already said that DVDs get precedence for new volumes, which solves 0% of the problem with the turnaround issue. That had been in Sal/WWN's hands for a while and it was floated that they would be losing that responsibility but I've seen nothing to demonstrate any improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Phenix Rising posted:

Ugh. Because of Sendai Girls I've just come across Demand Progress on PivotShare as well. Why does streaming wrestling have to be so plentiful, albeit cheap? This poo poo adds up!

There's a free demand progress show online w/Fergal Devitt vs. Jimmy Havoc for the next day or two fwiw.