Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Clear kits almost always look like rear end and that thing looks even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Some parts of that Gundam need to drink more water.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Piss Gundam is real

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've been pretty bad about posting photos of completed projects. Here's an HG Over Flag that I did in a pseudo-naval camo. Don't look at all the paint scrapes on the right arm's shoulder.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Monaghan posted:

It might work work if they do just the outer armor of full inner skeleton kit, like the Full Mechanics line or the MG G Gundams.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
https://twitter.com/yuuhe0720/status/1011431902463516672

God the builds for the leo are going to be great.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

I seriously hate not headcrest pieces, but the tinier bits that go over them. Lost the bit for my RX-78-2 Revive kit. gently caress knows where. second bit to go flying like that. LOVE IT.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Stocking over a vacuum cleaner tube is a good way to find things lost on the floor. If it's a hardwood floor, get eye-level with the ground and sweep a torch in your line of sight. Should pick it out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

TaurusOxford posted:

I was thinking more Pineapple Crush soda Gundam.

It's piss

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Please see your doctor, you may be spilling ketones if your pee looks like that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Anora posted:

It might work work if they do just the outer armor of full inner skeleton kit, like the Full Mechanics line or the MG G Gundams.

Yeah. I've seen some clear kits for mg's and pg's that don't look that bed since they show the inner detail\

Speaking of inner detail

Internals are done for about half the kit. Using a pastel black wash, enamel wash and some light drybrushing.

At least some of the zaku armor has segments that lift up so not all of my work will be covered by armor.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

My first attempt at panel-lining anything more complex than a Zaku from 2003.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Monaghan posted:

The P-Bandai RG Build Strike Gundam Full Package looks loving awesome though.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

Welp. Snapped the peg off the knee enclosure of my RX-78-2 Revive. I always put those on wrong til I have most of the leg together and see it looks off. Spudgered the right knee bit off fine, after that idiocy. Time to order another, I suppose. Unless there's a place in Englisg to get parts.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

What mecha franchise that doesn't have a model line most needs one?

Vandread. More than just two Majestic Prince kits. Big-O. Eacaflowne. Aquarion. Heroic Age. Getter universe. Bubblegum Crisis. Outlaw Star.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

This looks like it was created by the Whizzard.

Dare you enter his magical realm?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Bandai did release a Big O kit ages ago but we'll never see a Big Duo kit and that's a crime

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marx Headroom posted:

Bandai did release a Big O kit ages ago but we'll never see a Big Duo kit and that's a crime

Why am I only learning about this no- Oh, it's a early 2000's kit :sigh:.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Zark the Damned posted:

This looks like it was created by the Whizzard.

Dare you enter his magical realm?

New line of Bandai PGs (Piss Grade) looking good.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Monaghan posted:

The exception is RG kits. Having an actual inner frame visible through the transparent armor pieces is a nice effect. Clear HG kits are universally rear end, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zonekeeper posted:

The exception is RG kits. Having an actual inner frame visible through the transparent armor pieces is a nice effect. Clear HG kits are universally rear end, though.

Actually the IBO kits work fine, because they have a skeleton too. The transparent kits also keep the skeletal frame in the regular solid plastic.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That MG campaign from a few years ago was great, You got an extra clear runner with a bunch of the armor parts. I still have my MG Gundam 2.0 with partially clear armor and It looks nice.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Clear MGs are awesome!

Bandai releases some clear MGs for events.
The Art of Gundam exhibit in Japan had clear MG Gundam 3.0 and Zaku 2.0s.

Bluefin sells some limited release kits on their website, including a clear Sazabi (though it's currently out of stock).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

aqu posted:

Clear MGs are awesome!

Bluefin sells some limited release kits on their website, including a clear Sazabi (though it's currently out of stock).

Up to a point they look good, but bulky kits just become a wad of translucent grey. The Sazabi above is getting close to that point and the Hi Nu HWS ver Ka is hideous in clear.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Does the bluefin site ever have anything in stock?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

aqu posted:

Clear MGs are awesome!

Tacky crap imo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Midjack posted:

Please see your doctor, you may be spilling ketones if your pee looks like that.

My kidney stones are my business

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why am I only learning about this no- Oh, it's a early 2000's kit :sigh:.

I'm really hoping that the Mini-pla line starts getting weird video game and mid-old kits like the Big-O, Jehuty, and Escaflowne.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anora posted:

I'm really hoping that the Mini-pla line starts getting weird video game and mid-old kits like the Big-O, Jehuty, and Escaflowne.

I'd be happy if Kotobukiya would just reprint their Jehuty.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I wouldn't, they put a hunge in the cockpit for flight mode, looks awful.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I would rather they make the minipla not feel like cheap third party bootleg kits.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

That Gobbo posted:

I would rather they make the minipla not feel like cheap third party bootleg kits.

yeah I haven't actually built a minipla so maybe it's different in hand, but from pictures I've seen they look really cheap and sticker-heavy, while also being really expensive for what you get

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah I haven't actually built a minipla so maybe it's different in hand, but from pictures I've seen they look really cheap and sticker-heavy, while also being really expensive for what you get

They look and feel incredibly cheap. I got the GaoGaiGar kit for $10 due to an Amazon price error and it was just an awful experience. It gave me flashback to the Cutecube Woundwort and how awful the fitting was. Lots of stickers too. I felt pretty bad about the experience even though I paid $10 instead of $40. It's surprising to me that they actually seem to be ramping up putting out more of these kits when they're so overpriced. Guess the profit margins are way higher than gunpla kits.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Monaghan posted:

Internals are done for about half the kit. Using a pastel black wash, enamel wash and some light drybrushing.

At least some of the zaku armor has segments that lift up so not all of my work will be covered by armor.

I really like those brass handle parts. They convey that level of "we could clean that and make it shine, but it's fine and it'll just get dirty again."

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

That Gobbo posted:

They look and feel incredibly cheap. I got the GaoGaiGar kit for $10 due to an Amazon price error and it was just an awful experience. It gave me flashback to the Cutecube Woundwort and how awful the fitting was. Lots of stickers too. I felt pretty bad about the experience even though I paid $10 instead of $40. It's surprising to me that they actually seem to be ramping up putting out more of these kits when they're so overpriced. Guess the profit margins are way higher than gunpla kits.

They seem to have improved them between GaoGaiGar and the current stuff, the plastic on the Megazord and Dragonzord is pretty thick, the stickers are still a problem, but all the detail is there for when you paint them.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Hey I’d love some guidance on getting as smooth as possible a finish from my airbrush.

It’s Mr. Color thinned with Mr. leveling thinner, through my airbrush at ~15 psi, held 7 inches away, on top of some Tamiya gray surface primer from a rattle can.

You can see in the picture that it’s still a little grainy, but I’m not sure what to adjust. Should I thin the paint more or adjust the psi or what?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Is it matte or gloss red that your painting and how many coats are in that picture?

If it's gloss and you have some, then some retarder may need to be added to stop it drying in the air slightly from its travels from the airbrush to the spoon.

If it's matte, then it looks about par for the course.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Make sure you're using a gloss paint. The Mr Color GX line is a bit better than the normal mr color gloss paint.

A good technique that improves the glossiness of Mr color is to clean out your airbrush after spraying the final coat, fill it with pure leveling thinner, and mist it over the recently painted piece.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
it's one coat. Thanks for the tips, I'll try those suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Multiple coats are better. If you lay a gloss paint on thick there's a chance you'll end up with orange peel. With how quickly lacquers dry, there's no reason not to do several light passes.