Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm sad and mad and down about a lot, but I don't think I'm ever down about art. No matter what, it's always the thing I most like to do. It's like my oasis in the desert....

I saw 2001 a space odyssey in 70mm the other day and it made me remember everything I loved about cinema. I couldn't be even a little cynical about it!

Kanine posted:

random thing but does anyone struggle with having too much reference and getting overwhelmed? like recently ive found that keeping my reference down to just a handful of really good images helps me immensely in clearing out "mental clutter" and related problems

Don't use depend too heavily on online images for reference, they're all as flat as drawings are. Reference real world objects and do studies of masters of various art movements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

FunkyAl posted:

I'm sad and mad and down about a lot, but I don't think I'm ever down about art. No matter what, it's always the thing I most like to do. It's like my oasis in the desert....

I saw 2001 a space odyssey in 70mm the other day and it made me remember everything I loved about cinema. I couldn't be even a little cynical about it!

Don't use depend too heavily on online images for reference, they're all as flat as drawings are. Reference real world objects and do studies of masters of various art movements

oh yeah i forgot to mention this is in the context of digital 3d stuff (i work as an environment artist in games mostly)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Whenever the art juices dry up and I can't get a thing flowing, I feel distinctly like a ladybug stuck on its back. Not a turtle, turtles are slow and wise and good. Ladybugs with their flailing legs and stinky poops and soundless despair.

Then I shrug and get over it.

What does Art Despair feel like to y'all?

i work a full time job doing meaningless bullshit for a living so for me its like a tick tick tick oops you didnt have the energy or time to do an art today tick tick tick argh you got high and fell asleep instead tick tick tick uh oh you ended up playing video games all day tick tick tick oh my god youre losing your skills youre losing them tick tick tick

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/leighlahav/status/1012102806566723584

quote:

When I started at Pixar as an intern, I thought I’d landed my dream job. But my excitement was quickly tempered by a flood of warnings about Lasseter’s touchy-feely, boundary-crossing tendencies with female employees. It was devastating to learn, right from the start, that women were open targets for disrespect and harassment –– even at a world-renowned workplace in the most liberal-leaning city in the country. I was likewise told to steer clear of a particularly chauvinistic male lead in my department. Much like John, this man’s female targets had been reporting his vulgar, unprofessional behaviors for years, but his position and demeanor remained much the same.

I had my first uncomfortable encounter with this department head in a company kitchen, just two weeks into my internship. He cornered me with sexual comments while openly leering at my body. Over the next five years, I white-knuckled my way through many unwelcome, objectifying interactions with him, with Lasseter, and with other men; was physically groped by another male coworker; and was sidelined from projects by the unofficial boys’ club casting system.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/pixar-boys-club-john-lasseter-cassandra-smolcic-1202858982/

its cool how multiple times when ive brought stuff like this up to other men in the games/animation industry i get told to not talk about it but jesus loving christ this poo poo is so sickening

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://byrslf.co/pixars-sexist-boys-club-9d621567fdc9?gi=5e8b19b37270

oh also here's the original medium article which is longer

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

rage

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

thats pretty fuckin terrible!!!! i work in employment and i believe the stories 100% and theyre the kind of stories i hear all the time

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mod note

This isn't directed at Kanine or anyone else who's talked about the hideous political realities of the cursed hellscape in which we're currently condemned to trudge, but I'd really like this thread to be free of generalised grar.

Feel free to vent about crappy stuff that's happened to you personally, but unfortunately politics tends to consume all the available oxygen then send out for more.

I love this baby thread and all who post in it, and in my dreams it will be a chill place for arts chat.

I'm not desperate for a CC thread on politics stuff in the arts but if you want one then go for it (or use CSPAM/D&D, of course).

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i guess here's something different i guess then

recently ive been working on a lot of photobashed star wars blasters to make later in 3d. im still learning more about elements of design and these have been good exercises

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Mod note

This isn't directed at Kanine or anyone else who's talked about the hideous political realities of the cursed hellscape in which we're currently condemned to trudge,

But enough about your modding

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

lofi posted:

For me it's the voice going "Sure you can draw a bit, but you have nothing to say with your art, and no-one's interested anyway, you might as well just draw naruto fanart on deviant art" in my head.

Then I drink, and numb the voice a little bit. :emo:

Please stop posting excerpts from my personal journal, tia.

Speaking of art-related sadbrains, I'm just recovering from a nasty hit. I've always wished to (somehow) live from art, so I applied to a local art college a few months ago. Long story short: I didn't made it. I passed both the theory and the practical tests, but apparently they didn't like what they saw in my portfolio... a fact I found out like two weeks later, when they published the official list of admissions. And well, that sent me to a very bad place mentally because dang, what I thought was my best was not good enough so what's the point gently caress everything and everyone, etc.

I'm hanging there.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
How's everyone going on their quest for deeper meaning......I forgot what I meant by it, myself

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

FunkyAl posted:

How's everyone going on their quest for deeper meaning......I forgot what I meant by it, myself

I’m trying to ignore deeper meaning, it just gets in the way

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
One truth about the world is that the Agents of Satan are unwitting, and this applies whether he's an actual being that exists or just a metaphor for an aspect of humanity

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Pentaro posted:

Speaking of art-related sadbrains, I'm just recovering from a nasty hit. I've always wished to (somehow) live from art, so I applied to a local art college a few months ago. Long story short: I didn't made it. I passed both the theory and the practical tests, but apparently they didn't like what they saw in my portfolio... a fact I found out like two weeks later, when they published the official list of admissions. And well, that sent me to a very bad place mentally because dang, what I thought was my best was not good enough so what's the point gently caress everything and everyone, etc.

I'm hanging there.

Don't feel too bad. A high-school buddy of mine was rejected due to submitting "cartoon art" so portfolio judges often disqualify prospective students based on prejudice rather than whether you can draw or not. I took an evening figure drawing course the year before I applied and submitted my best work from that--got in easily that way.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I got rejected from art school about a decade ago - art-wise, it was the best thing to happen to me, I was like 'right, I'll show those chucklefucks' and really stepped my game up. Still sucked rear end though. It might be worth writing to them to find out what they didn't like, so at least you can get some feedback out of it.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Pentaro posted:

I'm hanging there.

I feel for ya buddy. When I applied for art college, part of the "points" was your grade school averages, the other part was three pieces we had to make in an exam. This way, if your school average was poor (like if you sucked at math and history and gymnastics), your excellent artistic ability could give you the points to carry over and get you in.
I absolutely got gently caress-all on the art points.
It can completely be the thing Stuporstar said, the stupid "real" artists don't do cartoony stuff snobbery. Buuuullllshiiiiit.
Failing once doesn't mean the next one will fail, though. If they've got examples of portfolios that would get your through, ask to see them so next time you know what they're looking for.
There's nothing wrong with working a grunt job to support yourself and doing art on your free time, either, it's just more time to build up your portfolio for your next attempt.
Still, sorry this happened 'cause I know it loving hurts.

Remember that when life gives your lemons, you draw the lemons and complain the whole way through.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Keep the lemons on your desk, and fuel yourself with bitterness.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Do what I did and go to an art school without a portfolio requirement :shepicide:

I fortunately had the wherewithal to escape my pits, but there were a lot of people that did not.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I should also mention that buddy took my advice and resubmitted a portfolio with figure drawing, still lifes, and some pottery he did in high school (I also had pottery and jewellery in mine), and got accepted the next year. Most art schools want to see you willing to draw first year poo poo, which is primarily still life and figure drawing, and have the idea that anyone submitting "cartoon art" isn't serious--which is horseshit, but at the same time my buddy quit after first year because he ended up hating it.

To be honest, I never became a jeweller after graduating with that as my major, so the whole BFA was kind of just me pissing around because I didn't know what to do with my life.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Only go to art school if you want to eventually be a teacher at the art school you used to be a student at.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

don't go to art school

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Go to art school and Have Fun

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sharpest Crayon posted:

What does Art Despair feel like to y'all?

The bitter taste of a mistakenly chewed Alprazolam as ZBrush opens.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just want to live my life doing stupid drawings that make me and a handful of other people happy. Instead I have to get a pointless education and a retail job that will drain my soul because my art sucks and you need to be the best of the best to make a reliable living off of it.

And the sad thing is I probably could of loving done it if I'd kept practicing when I was a teenager instead of dropping art for over 10 years :sigh:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 30, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stuporstar posted:

Don't feel too bad. A high-school buddy of mine was rejected due to submitting "cartoon art" so portfolio judges often disqualify prospective students based on prejudice rather than whether you can draw or not. I took an evening figure drawing course the year before I applied and submitted my best work from that--got in easily that way.

i think my traditional drawing stuff was fine but i definitely got accepted to a couple art schools because i had a bunch of digital 3d stuff in my portfolio. a lot of those art schools were (and still are) launching bigger 3d/game/vfx centered programs so they prob were looking for students who were/are into that stuff? jokes on them tho i ended up going to mica and im focusing almost entirely on woodworking and sculpture rn. the mica sculpture department is awesome and im super happy to be there. (im still working as a freelance 3d artist rn to pay bills tho)

Kanine fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 1, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I feel for ya buddy. When I applied for art college, part of the "points" was your grade school averages, the other part was three pieces we had to make in an exam. This way, if your school average was poor (like if you sucked at math and history and gymnastics), your excellent artistic ability could give you the points to carry over and get you in.
I absolutely got gently caress-all on the art points.
It can completely be the thing Stuporstar said, the stupid "real" artists don't do cartoony stuff snobbery. Buuuullllshiiiiit.
Failing once doesn't mean the next one will fail, though. If they've got examples of portfolios that would get your through, ask to see them so next time you know what they're looking for.
There's nothing wrong with working a grunt job to support yourself and doing art on your free time, either, it's just more time to build up your portfolio for your next attempt.
Still, sorry this happened 'cause I know it loving hurts.

Remember that when life gives your lemons, you draw the lemons and complain the whole way through.

im happy tho at my school (mica) this seems to be rapidly getting better. (according to friends currently at sva, risd, scad, ringling, and calarts this is also tru there.)

Kanine fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 1, 2018

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

When I was at scad we definitely made fun of those weird sequential major kids

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

My friends who went off to art-school have finished for the year, and come back home, so I've been hanging out in pub gardens in the sun chatting art with them all week, it's reminded me how much I loving love art. :3: So stoked for drawing at the moment.

As a counterpoint to the art-despair chat, what does art-enlightenment feel like to y'all? To me there's a groove I can sometimes hit, where I have a load of parts of a project on the go, and I'm bouncing between them, spinning a bunch of plates with the lightest touch, and it feels like I'm flying somehow, or surfing a wave, no effort needed.

Also, I'm considering a master's in sequential next year. I love the idea of being a Master of Comics.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

lofi posted:

As a counterpoint to the art-despair chat, what does art-enlightenment feel like to y'all?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ah, a tumblr poster, I see.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Triumph is i think when the art matches the music in your head

Yo do any of you guys have good freelance resources...like where do people post seeking that

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i live with my mother and she has never outgrown the "my daughter is a precious miracle child and everything she makes is magical" mindset, which is lovely and affirming, but the problem is she hangs my artwork up on the walls exclusively so no matter where i go in our house (except my room, which is bare) i find myself entrapped in an endless nightmarish echo chamber of my own work staring at me from all directions

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

a hall of psychological funhouse mirrors

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Mod note

This isn't directed at Kanine or anyone else who's talked about the hideous political realities of the cursed hellscape in which we're currently condemned to trudge, but I'd really like this thread to be free of generalised grar.

Feel free to vent about crappy stuff that's happened to you personally, but unfortunately politics tends to consume all the available oxygen then send out for more.

I love this baby thread and all who post in it, and in my dreams it will be a chill place for arts chat.

I'm not desperate for a CC thread on politics stuff in the arts but if you want one then go for it (or use CSPAM/D&D, of course).

This is your forum, so fair enough, but I don't really see "don't treat women like poo poo in the creative industries" as particularly political. Ok that's all thaaaanks!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Anyway, in more useful news, all y'all who are struggling to emotionally come to terms with the art-making and art-learning process, I recommend the book Art and Fear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0961454733/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_FzpoBbARQMHCY

It's not a self help book and it won't erase slumps from your life completely but it has some invaluable observations and statements that changed my life as a student. Please do yourself a favor and check it out.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
When I hit the Art Groove, I feel like a goddamn goddess. I am a Creator and all you see before you has been molded by my hand. I don't have to think or stop to consider, the lines take their places effortlessly and the colours blend and sit pretty and it all feels natural.
It's surprisingly similar to runner's high.

Those are the rare pieces that I can look at years later and not feel like I'd do them different this time. The ones that are full of small moments of success, just the right angle somewhere, just the right gesture and movement. The ones where you know no-one else sees them the way you see them.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

I miss the manic creative high, where I could sit for 8-12 hours in either a total zen state or laughing my rear end off as new (stupid) ideas keep popping up in my head. But the high only comes around midnight, keeping me up all night long and well into the morning, and since the only effective pill I can take for my migraines makes me too drowsy I can no longer stay up all night. But that was unhealthy in other ways as well so…

Now that my circadian rhythms have settled into a normal human range, I have this slow pilot light going on creatively. I write for two hours and two hours at night, and if I'm lucky (no obligations that day, no headaches) might get another 2-4 hours of writing done in the afternoon. I find myself only dropping into a light flow state, one too easy to drop out of, and my ideas tends to run dry after a couple hours. I have to take those breaks between writing to let the well refill. But if I keep steady, and am ready to jump on whatever my mind conjures up, I don't stall out like I used to. And I honestly think my ideas are better when I give them a lot of time to simmer than those manic binges where I mostly wrote stupid poo poo.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

[thinking harder than ive ever thought in my entire life]

Fart fear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

lofi posted:

As a counterpoint to the art-despair chat, what does art-enlightenment feel like to y'all? To me there's a groove I can sometimes hit, where I have a load of parts of a project on the go, and I'm bouncing between them, spinning a bunch of plates with the lightest touch, and it feels like I'm flying somehow, or surfing a wave, no effort needed.

I feel the best about my art when I get some light, casual comment about people enjoying it.

I've had people shower me in ridiculous amounts of praise for doing drawings for them and my brain never buys it. Anytime I get huge amounts of praise I always mentally interpret it as sarcasm. But just having someone say something simple like "hey I think your designs are pretty creative" makes me feel really happy. Don't really get it but whatever.