Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

w00tmonger posted:

Speaking of aesthetics Ive been trying to find and buy the radest splatoons shirt I can get a hold of. Any suggestions?

I got the Games Done Quick charity shirt and I love it

I don't know if its still available or what.

Here's a thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

I bought this shirt a couple years back. Couldn't find a shop link on mobile but here's a rad one.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I ordered a shirt off someone in the lobby and while I'm happy that it retained being 2/3rds of the way to pure, I didnt plan for it and now have to make 50000 gold in like 12 hours so i can buy it at all

I got 7000

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can make that in salmon run but idk if it was open...condolences

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I'm quite fond of this shirt since it is pretty subtle (click image for link):

This isn't the same seller I got mine from though, so I don't know how the quality is going to be.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/06/interview_hisashi_nogami_on_squids_kids_and_splatoon_2s_octo_expansion

quote:

Nintendo Life: In the original Splatoon, hackers modded the game to add playable Octoling characters. Did that server as inspiration for the Octo Expansion, or was this idea already being thought of?

Nogami: I can't say we got inspiration from that, but we did see that and we had the idea of wanting players to play as an Octoling character before that. We had that in our back pocket as a surprise to reveal later on, and when we say that we kind of thought to ourselves, "Aw, come on guys! You took our idea!"

Also, got this today and lmbo

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

lmao took me a second to get it

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Khezu? Or am I missing something?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Wrist Watch posted:

Octo Expansion slight spoiler
Marina met Pearl on Mount Nantai first time. I meant to include that there to not be needlessly obscure for people who don't remember everything about the chat logs but forgot

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Wrist Watch posted:

it's pearlie, the mountain is where pearl and marina met

In Training posted:

You can make that in salmon run but idk if it was open...condolences
thank you, this really easy Salmon Run just gave me a 2.5x Coin ticket......god's plan

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Soon....Fashion and Functionality Will Become One

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

“I gets no respect at all”
/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am just now learning what "pure" gear is. So stacking the same ability is generally worth it, I take it? Are there any particularly great abilities where, if I roll doubles of it or something, I should for sure hang onto that gear and try to make it pure with chunks later?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

w00tmonger posted:

Speaking of aesthetics Ive been trying to find and buy the radest splatoons shirt I can get a hold of. Any suggestions?

There's the official Splatoon t-shirt collection released by THE KING OF GAMES.

It's kinda expensive tho', but that's the price of freshness.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I am just now learning what "pure" gear is. So stacking the same ability is generally worth it, I take it? Are there any particularly great abilities where, if I roll doubles of it or something, I should for sure hang onto that gear and try to make it pure with chunks later?

It's pretty weapon dependent really, I have a variety of loadouts for different weapons and for different moods of playing. The splatoon wiki is a very comprehensive resource for the math behind abilities https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Ability#Splatoon_2 if you ever wanna see the curve of diminishing returns for yourself and judge whether or not the pure stack is worth getting.

But personally, I can't play any weapon without at least 1 main and 3 subs in Swim Speed Up.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

People here know way more about this game than I do but how I've seen it broken down is that your main ability is worth 10 points of that ability, and each sub ability is worth 3, so each gear has 19 points for you, giving you 57 total. Generally it's better to have Pures rather than one of each of the ability you want spread across your three pieces gear so you can coordinate outfits and mix and match if you decide to change up your setup.

As for abilities, there are some duds and good one but it more so depends on your weapon. I'm going for Sub Saver since I like Suction Bombs and they take up like 2/3rds of my ink normally where now it's about a half. Ink Refill is just generally good, but Main Saver would also do the job and hey i like to go fast when i swim. Maybe I'll switch over to Special Saver soon since Ink Armor takes a while to save up and I like popping that a lot and playing support so it's really kind up to you, I'm sure people can break down the full list better than I can

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

It's pretty weapon dependent really, I have a variety of loadouts for different weapons and for different moods of playing. The splatoon wiki is a very comprehensive resource for the math behind abilities https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Ability#Splatoon_2 if you ever wanna see the curve of diminishing returns for yourself and judge whether or not the pure stack is worth getting.

But personally, I can't play any weapon without at least 1 main and 3 subs in Swim Speed Up.

Expect My Mom posted:

People here know way more about this game than I do but how I've seen it broken down is that your main ability is worth 10 points of that ability, and each sub ability is worth 3, so each gear has 19 points for you, giving you 57 total. Generally it's better to have Pures rather than one of each of the ability you want spread across your three pieces gear so you can coordinate outfits and mix and match if you decide to change up your setup.

Hell yeah, thanks

For some reason I thought that stacking had really harsh diminishing returns, but also I haven't been paying much attention to abilities yet since I'm still pretty poor in both gold and snails so I can't do a ton with them yet anyway. It's good to know what to look out for when I want to start getting into higher-level play.

I should probably actually play Salmon Run at some point, huh

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

if you haven't played salmon run yet then holy poo poo get on that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

if you haven't played salmon run yet then holy poo poo get on that

Yeah I have a habit of just jumping into the regular/ranked match lobby if I'm not just sitting down to play some Octo Expansion so I keep neglecting Salmon Run

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Harrow posted:

Pure gear is good for the modularity so you can swap what you need quickly. Though abilities have diminishing returns so often going all out isn't worth it. Take Quick Super Jump for example,

0 points is 3.65s
3 points is 3.25s (1 minor )
9 points is 3.02s (3 minor )
10 points is 3.00s (1 major )
19 points is 2.75s (1 major + 3 minor)
57 points is 1.95s (max slots)

That first 3 points goes a long way and gives the greatest boost per point.
Going from one minor to 3 is still a significant jump, but not nearly as much as just that first one.
The difference between 3 minors and 1 major is negligible, but there are some abilities that only exist as major.
One pure item is a similar jump, but again removes that major slot.
A full set is a little more than half the jump time, but it takes everything. Is that extra second off a super jump worth every mutual exclusive ability? Every ink saver, ink resist, or sub power?

Other abilities care more about thresholds than raw numbers.

18 points of sub saver will get you an extra mine, splash wall, or point sensor. 35 will get you an extra suction bomb, splat bomb, sprinkler, or curling bomb.
34 point of special power up gets you an extra shot with the ink jet.

tldr Every ability gives diminishing returns. Look at the wiki to see if there are any important thresholds for you. Look out for any major exclusives you want. Invest in a few abilities. Look fresh while doing it.

Also quick respawn is probably worse than you think.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Guy Goodbody posted:

The height of the stream when you open a valve is dependent on how close it is to the goldie. The higher the stream, the closer you are.

Dr. Fetus posted:

You're playing a game of hot and cold. When you open the gusher, check its height. If it's low, it means the correct gusher is far away. If it's at medium height, than it means you're close. The right gusher will have the Goldie.

The best strategy for those types of waves? Open the farthest gusher first. Salmonids will pour out of the incorrect gushers, and if they're pouring out of gushers near the basket, that will make it really hard to deliver eggs. Salmonids will not stop spawning until the correct gusher is found, so don't waste too much time killing them.

Thanks. Hopefully next time I run into it I won’t be such a complete hindrance.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
VEEEEMOOOOO!!!!!

This fresh octo finally got a golden toothpick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's still one more map they announced to be added right? Is that happening this weekend?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

In Training posted:

There's still one more map they announced to be added right? Is that happening this weekend?

New Albacore Hotel is being added to the next rotation, yes.

Also here are the weapon kits for July:

Bamboozler 14 Mk II: Toxic Mist + Burst Bomb Launcher (Special cost: 160)
Explosher: Sprinkler + Bubble Blower (Special cost: 190)
Ballpoint Splatling: Toxic Mist + Inkjet (Special cost: 190)
Tenta Sorella Brella: Splash Wall + Curling Bomb Launcher (Special cost: 180)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A burst bomb launcher is cool, and toxic mist is a nice pairing with a sniper...maybe I'll try to actually learn how to use a charger.

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

Still no Light Tetras...

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the girl power station is going to make me break my joycons into even smaller controllers

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

b_d posted:

the girl power station is going to make me break my joycons into even smaller controllers

I recommend watching a YouTube walkthrough and following what they do. Don’t even bother trying to use weapons other than the roller or octobrush.

Also don’t even bother trying to grab special weapons once poo poo starts going down. You really only have time to grab one, I recommend the splashdown one near the center since you can grab the armor too next to it on the way to deal with the first enemy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I ended up just using a splattershot. The only thing you really have to worry about is keeping in mind the spawn pattern and for the first part at least trying to splat each wave before the next ones spawn. That's pretty easy when they're spawning on the first two pads but less so when they move to the outside. After that make sure you try to fight away from the orb so it doesn't get splash damage.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
ever since my first attempt at beating secret boss, I've never gone back to try it again. I spent a good several hours attempting it and i guess im just not good at it

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Dizz posted:

ever since my first attempt at beating secret boss, I've never gone back to try it again. I spent a good several hours attempting it and i guess im just not good at it

Do you want to live the rest of your life wallowing in regret?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tried the brush and the roller on Girl Power and couldn't make it happen, I won eventually just using the Splattershot.

Learning the pattern they arrive in is super important, I think it's the fourth wave where an umbrella user arrives, and you need to take her out last because if you try to take her out as she arrives she'll open the brella right as she lands and that's gonna make her take a lot longer to kill. So you kill the others and then go in behind the brella user.

But the real trick for me was taking the time to get the armor upgrades. If you get hit near the end and it does that thing where you move really slowly, you're dead

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game is so loving good why did it take me so long to buy it, holy poo poo

I finally jumped into Salmon Run and also started playing ranked instead of just spamming Turf War. I fuckin' love Tower Control. Also I felt slightly proud of myself for skipping a couple ranks on my first rank-up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I finally jumped into Salmon Run and also started playing ranked instead of just spamming Turf War. I fuckin' love Tower Control. Also I felt slightly proud of myself for skipping a couple ranks on my first rank-up.

Welcome to the fold :woomy:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Harrow posted:

It’s so much fun. I recently got back into it and ugh it’s an absolute joy to play. Everything about the game is full of charm. The gameplay has that classic Nintendo touch of everything feeling really organic and nice to interact with.

By the way if you look back in the thread a little I recently asked about weapon recommendations and got some great info. Might help you out a bit starting out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s so much fun. I recently got back into it and ugh it’s an absolute joy to play. Everything about the game is full of charm. The gameplay has that classic Nintendo touch of everything feeling really organic and nice to interact with.

By the way if you look back in the thread a little I recently asked about weapon recommendations and got some great info. Might help you out a bit starting out.

So far, weapon-wise, I'm a sucker for dualies and any shooter with a decent range. When I'm in "let's get serious" mode I grab the Dualie Squelchers (Custom or regular depends on the mode I'm playing I guess) because those things are just insanely good. Also the Tri-Slosher, though I wish I could just hold down ZR to splash over and over instead of having to hammer it.

I should probably start branching out and trying out chargers and splatlings, but so far I'm very bad at timing when to charge up a shot and often get myself splatted.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah I bought this game b/c of the e3 sale and was having a blast already, but just got around to hitting ranked modes last night and it's just night and day

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hey guys.

Guys.

Woomy.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Hey guys.

Guys.

Woomy.

:woomy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weapon recommendations are tricky, as a lot of them have their own niche and style, though learning how to use them properly is a good idea.

Chargers and splatlings work better when you know the map, knowing where to find good perches, cover and choke points. Long ranged shooters are pretty good to start with as they give you mobility and flexibility to get around, catching opponents from behind is often guaranteed splat with any weapon.

ed: veemo

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 29, 2018