Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Inspector 34 posted:

You thinking of one of the HDHomerun models? I used one for a while to run ota channels to PlexDVR and also had one that would let me use my Comcast signal on my xbox/ps3/plexdvr before we got off cable.

No. Something that works with an existing tuner box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cornjob posted:

No. Something that works with an existing tuner box

I have never heard of what you describe. Why not just run a coax, or put an antenna in the attic?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Don Lapre posted:

I have never heard of what you describe. Why not just run a coax, or put an antenna in the attic?

Because its a PITA.

Don Lapre posted:

Like i said, im looking for a solution that doesnt run a cable. PITA in my situation

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's a couple devices that will do ATSC to WiFi, but I haven't seen ATSC to ATSC wirelessly.

You would have to run a power cord to wherever you place the antenna anyways.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I think that if you've got to run 1 cable (power) then pulling additional cables through is pretty trivial, depending on how it's routed.

But also, doesn't one of the hdhomeruns take the coax input from the antenna and then go Ethernet to your network? I'm pretty sure that's how the one I've got now works, though I don't use it because my antenna reception is terrible. So you wouldn't need to run coax, just Ethernet, which is slightly less of a PITA

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
An attic is way too hot for an hdhomerun.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Yea I wouldn't put an HDHR in an attic without some thought-out aftermarket cooling.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I think that if you've got to run 1 cable (power) then pulling additional cables through is pretty trivial, depending on how it's routed.

But also, doesn't one of the hdhomeruns take the coax input from the antenna and then go Ethernet to your network? I'm pretty sure that's how the one I've got now works, though I don't use it because my antenna reception is terrible. So you wouldn't need to run coax, just Ethernet, which is slightly less of a PITA

Yes, and there's even devices from other companies that will go from antenna straight to wifi in a single device but he wants to connect to a Tivo so he's looking for a wireless ATSC-to-ATSC that doesn't use cabling of any kind which is a device that does not exist.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Yes, and there's even devices from other companies that will go from antenna straight to wifi in a single device but he wants to connect to a Tivo so he's looking for a wireless ATSC-to-ATSC that doesn't use cabling of any kind which is a device that does not exist.

Yea, if that existed none of us would be bothering with indoor antennae

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Cornjob posted:

Because its a PITA.

Like i said, im looking for a solution that doesnt run a cable. PITA in my situation

What you want doesn't exist. Get over it and run some coax.

I know it sucks, I spent way too long myself sweating my balls off in my attic in the Texas heat installing my antenna, but it was worth it, all my locals come in with strong signals now, no matter the time of day or weather.

Get a decent attic antenna - I got this one, it's only $35 and works great http://a.co/9ME6QZa - and some coax. Chances are good you can tap in to existing coax somewhere that's already installed.

Don't forget to check Antennaweb (or there's an app by Wineguard you can use with your phone) to check where your stations are and align the antenna accordingly.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I axed DirectvNow because it runs like absolute crap on my Roku stick. Has anyone tried out Philo? It's apparently way cheaper than all the other services.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I axed DirectvNow because it runs like absolute crap on my Roku stick. Has anyone tried out Philo? It's apparently way cheaper than all the other services.

It looks like a pretty standard lineup for a fantastically low price. There’s no locals and zero sports channels. I don’t care about locals since I can get OTA, but the no sports made it a hard pass for me.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Proteus Jones posted:

It looks like a pretty standard lineup for a fantastically low price. There’s no locals and zero sports channels. I don’t care about locals since I can get OTA, but the no sports made it a hard pass for me.

My issue is that there is no Android app to use with my Shield TV.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It does run pretty decently on my Fire Cube. I checked my Roku and it had an update that fixed a few issues. Still doesn't run as well as it does on the Fire OS though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just got the new Shield TV update and my first thought: It looks like rear end.

I guess I'll try to give it a fair shot, but man, this is a complete overhaul of the home screen for not a very good reason. Or maybe I'm just old and cranky.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

I guess I'll try to give it a fair shot, but man, this is a complete overhaul of the home screen for not a very good reason. Or maybe I'm just old and cranky.

I abandoned the Shield TV Pro after Amazon Prime Video came to the aTV and never looked back. The UI was so frustrating at times.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Proteus Jones posted:

I abandoned the Shield TV Pro after Amazon Prime Video came to the aTV and never looked back. The UI was so frustrating at times.

Well if you didn't like the old UI, this one certainly is not winning an award.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
It's a "stick with us while we spend the next year figuring it out" kind of UI on the Shield TV.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Silly Burrito posted:

Been using it since it was in the preview program and I really like it personally. I think it's a great upgrade.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Been using it since it was in the preview program and I really like it personally. I think it's a great upgrade.

The Nexus player got it slightly over a year ago.

Not a fan of it, but at least most apps seem to support it now. When it came out on the NP, no apps supported it, so all you got was empty thumbnails next to every app.

I wish some of the apps had more "channels" though. I kinda like the Youtube app showing subscriptions, but it doesn't show them in order :mad:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Gee. Two weeks after AT&T closes on the purchase of Time Warner, DTV Now plans go up $5/month.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And at the same time they launch the $15 (or “free” for some) WatchTV service.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get it free now and since I didn’t get locals anyways from directvnos this is a good day for me

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

kitten smoothie posted:

Gee. Two weeks after AT&T closes on the purchase of Time Warner, DTV Now plans go up $5/month.

I have the $35 grandfathered plan that is set to to increase to $40. I’m thinking about jumping to YouTube TV. Seems to have all the channels I want, all locals (DTVNow only has Fox and NBC in my area after a year and a half), more live streams, unlimited DVR, and supposedly the app and service are decent (unlike all the issues I’ve had with DTVNow....)

About the only negative I can see is that you don’t get $5 HBO

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
get an antenna you sheeple!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Iron Crowned posted:

I could probably live happily off an antenna and uncapped internet, if my local Fox Sports was available independently. OTA and Fox Sports Florida covers 90% of what I care about watching live. Could probably get by with NHLs online pass and DNS foolery so id get the in market games.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Iron Crowned posted:

I am too far away and have too tall of trees to get any OTA channels. It sucks so I am constantly looking for something that can get me local channels at the very least (all the internet cable services only offer 1 or 2 channels)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am too far away and have too tall of trees to get any OTA channels. It sucks so I am constantly looking for something that can get me local channels at the very least (all the internet cable services only offer 1 or 2 channels)

How far away are you? Maybe you just need the right antenna

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Antenna owns. Source: am antennae haver

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Only a fraction of what I watch is broadcast OTA, so an antenna doesn't help me much.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Only a fraction of what I watch is broadcast OTA, so an antenna doesn't help me much.

Solution: only watch Jeopardy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Don Lapre posted:

How far away are you? Maybe you just need the right antenna

Yeah, it's this, most people don't know enough about antennas. The common conception is that it's a pair of rabbit ears on top of a TV like it's the 1950's, and I suspect it's not as bad now with modern TVs, but that is the worst place to put an antenna.

bull3964 posted:

Learn to do things other than watch TV, there's a lot of things out there to do!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, it's this, most people don't know enough about antennas. The common conception is that it's a pair of rabbit ears on top of a TV like it's the 1950's, and I suspect it's not as bad now with modern TVs, but that is the worst place to put an antenna.

Learn to do things other than watch TV, there's a lot of things out there to do!

How quickly you forget about house hunters and king of cakes will blow your mind

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

How quickly you forget about house hunters and king of cakes will blow your mind

Oh that poo poo is all up in Netflix

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Don Lapre posted:

It's this.

I jumped ship on cable before any of that crap started, back when the joke was the History Channel was the "Hitler Channel." My Sundays of idly watching WWII documentaries were the thing that I got withdrawals from, but eventually that faded, and I was OK with not spending all my waking hours in front of the TV.

You'll be OK without the TV on at all times.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syfy, TBS, Comedy Central, FX, AMC, BBC-A, and Adult Swim would basically be my ideal skinny package. I wouldn't even need live or DVR, just OnDemand/App access.

Really Sling Blue at $25/month is about right for my bare minimum and my end up being what I go with after I cancel FiOS TV next year.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Syfy, TBS, Comedy Central, FX, AMC, BBC-A, and Adult Swim would basically be my ideal skinny package.

How many funko pops do you own?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Zero? I'm not sure I understand the question.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bull3964 posted:

How high is your autisim score?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

You're walking through a desert and you see a turtle on its back. You aren't helping it. Why aren't you helping it?