Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Just a heads up, there is a 20% off coupon, eligible on a bunch of Chem Guys stuff at Amazon today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/coupon/20-off-select-products/A3LTIDD68CLMGB/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

toplitzin posted:

Just a heads up, there is a 20% off coupon, eligible on a bunch of Chem Guys stuff at Amazon today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/coupon/20-off-select-products/A3LTIDD68CLMGB/

It's not in the 20%, but on the BMW I got a couple weeks ago, it had some marks that I wasn't getting out properly with Meguiars Ultimate Compound. I switched to this Chemical Guys Pro Polish and it did a fantastic job, of both correction and polish. I recommend it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

now they went and said 20% off your entire order today.

Enjoy 20% off your entire purchase with code FBFAN20.

Through their own storefront.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks, I just ordered some air freshener.

If anyone is looking for some premium microfiber towels at a steal, check out The Rag Company’s clearance section. I just picked up some Eagle Edgeless 480 gsm towels 4 for $20. They also have some drying towels on clearance too. Free shipping over $50.

https://www.theragcompany.com/clearance-16-x-24-eagle-edgeless-blue-microfiber-towel-4-pack/

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Stripper Scent is the best scent (re: Chemical Guys)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

Does it come with booty glitter to help my car shine?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

MomJeans420 posted:

Preach. I finally got a bottle and I love it to bits.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Dang, I went with JDM squash. Wasn’t sure what strippers would smell like other than desperation and cigarettes.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
It smells like vanilla and spices and is generally just a warm sweet smell. If you have a Chem Guys detail garage local I'd suggest checking it out or ordering a cheap 4oz bottle for like $5.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Thanks for the coupon! Grabbed some grape scented wash and Diablo wheel stuff.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
The chemical guys honeydew wash is my favorite. It's super foamy out of a foam cannon, super slick, smells incredible and has some kind of light gloss enhancing properties(many of their soaps do) so it looks great after just a wash. If you're doing a full detail and want to strip sealant/wax you'll need something stronger but it's perfect for standard maintenance washes.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Ive been using chemical guys products for a long time, but my last batch of hex logic pads really were disappointing. For some reason they just don't cut like they did before, looks like the third different bad shape in as many orders as well.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Probably asked and answered a number of times but do you guys have a preferred spray/method for dealing with bird poo poo? There's no escaping it in my neighbourhood so ideally I'd like to be able to just spray n wipe something. I'm not super anal about preserving my paint (it's a Civic that'll probably get traded in after a few years) but I like to keep it looking clean. Also any preferred bug gut sprays? I'm driving in the country a lot this summer and my windshield and front bumper are getting ravaged.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

prom candy posted:

Probably asked and answered a number of times but do you guys have a preferred spray/method for dealing with bird poo poo?
1. Heat up a cup of water
2. Place a towel over the bird poo poo
3. Pour water over towel, soaking it
4. Let sit for 3-5 minutes
5. Remove towel, anything remaining on paint should wipe up easily

The hot water softens it so you don't have to scrub and risk scratching. The towel holds the water in place.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Oh nice, thanks! Hot like steaming or hot like warm?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
IME you don't even need hot/warm. Room temperature water works for me.

I keep a hand held pressure sprayer in the trunk with ONR (wash dilution) in it. Sometimes I can get away with just spraying it and it'll come off if you get it early enough.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

prom candy posted:

Oh nice, thanks! Hot like steaming or hot like warm?
Somewhere in between will usually work. The water won't need to be as hot if there isn't as much sticky or solid stuff.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I picked up a couple of bottles of the Meguiars Wash Plus since I saw it discussed here but my car is ceramic coated- should I avoid using it since it has a slight abrasive/polish?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My Meguiar's 105 and 205 are from 2010 - still good, or should I just buy fresh ones?

*edit*
Is there a better option than these for polishing a black car with pretty heavy swirl marks? I'm not sure what the new hot polish is now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

My Meguiar's 105 and 205 are from 2010 - still good, or should I just buy fresh ones?

*edit*
Is there a better option than these for polishing a black car with pretty heavy swirl marks? I'm not sure what the new hot polish is now.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound and if you need something a bit more aggressive Chemical Guys Pro Polish have been my go-tos for a few years.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is magic considering it's something you can but on the shelf at Halfords etc.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

InitialDave posted:

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is magic considering it's something you can but on the shelf at Halfords etc.

Agreed. Love this stuff. Very good and idiot proof.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is Ultimate Compound the one that's supposed to go from more abrasive to less abrasive as you use it, so you don't need a finishing polish?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hey detailing thread, I’m having some issues with the paint on my new Cayman.

Where I park during the day has a maple tree near by and those little helicopter seed pods fall into the car. It then rains, so they get wet on the car, then it dries and they blow away, but it leaves behind a mess on the paint that I can’t clean off with usual means (soap and microfiber towel).

I’m having a detailer take a look at it tomorrow, but if this is typical for Porsche paint I don’t know if I can keep this car. The paint literally looks destroyed already. It looks like this everywhere:

It doesn’t just leave spots in the shape of the leafs, it leaves a trail where whatever is in the lead dissolves into the water.

Does this look like a defect with the clear coat? Or do I just need a good coat of wax? Will this require polishing into the clear coat to fix?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

How old is the car? What part of the car are you showing? Is that paint peeling off of window trim?

It's definitely strange to see marks like that on a clearcoat car. If it's a respray, it looks like a 1-stage paint, which can definitely stain like that, but can be buffed out and coated to resist it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Seminal Flu posted:

How old is the car? What part of the car are you showing? Is that paint peeling off of window trim?

It's definitely strange to see marks like that on a clearcoat car. If it's a respray, it looks like a 1-stage paint, which can definitely stain like that, but can be buffed out and coated to resist it.

The car was manufactured about 140 days ago. Bought new from a Porsche dealer. That’s the rear quarter panel arch over the wheels.

Here’s a few more pics:

The rust looking stuff is the residue from some plant debris that fell with the leaves.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
When you say soap and a microfibre, are you using car washing stuff, or normal dishwashing detergent?

Has the car been detailed or treated with anything prior to this point?

Does this happen if parked elsewhere?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jealous Cow posted:

The car was manufactured about 140 days ago. Bought new from a Porsche dealer. That’s the rear quarter panel arch over the wheels.

Here’s a few more pics:

Gotcha. The trunk pictures help. I have seen that before and it should come off with a buffing, but that paint hasn't fully cured yet. I'd get it detailed and get a good ceramic coating on ASAP. That'll make maintenance more of a regular wash-and-rinse affair.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

InitialDave posted:

When you say soap and a microfibre, are you using car washing stuff, or normal dishwashing detergent?

Has the car been detailed or treated with anything prior to this point?

Does this happen if parked elsewhere?

Dawn.

I’ve had the car for a week, and this is from it raining on the tree debris once. It’s normally garaged.

Seminal Flu posted:

Gotcha. The trunk pictures help. I have seen that before and it should come off with a buffing, but that paint hasn't fully cured yet. I'd get it detailed and get a good ceramic coating on ASAP. That'll make maintenance more of a regular wash-and-rinse affair.

Thanks. The guy coming out offers that service so I’ll have it done tomorrow.

I hope it all comes out easily. It’s pretty frustrating for a brand new very expensive car to be done in my some leaves.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Is that dish washing soap? If so you really don't want to be using that.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

ratbert90 posted:

What tools do I need?

Well, there are several tools you could use, here are some of the basics to get a basic job correction done.

Soap to wash your car: Dawn liquid hand soap for dishes. It does a great job stripping wax off of old paint and leaving just the paint at your disposal.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yikes, don't do this on your new porch. Dawn strips wax right off. Spring for some parts store car soap at minimum and get some wax back on it or ceramic coat it like meat man said.

Edit: OP probably says that because as part of detailing (this is the detailing thread after all :v:)-polishing, clay barring, etc., you need to strip the wax off first. It isn't your every week use wash though.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 10, 2018

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

dissss posted:

Nothing wrong with using dawn to strip off all old wax/coatings before you do a fresh coat of wax/sealant.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

dissss posted:

For regular maintenance, I agree. For stripping off wax prior to detailing, it's absolutely a good choice.

Edit : beaten like a dead horse

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 10, 2018

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So about a week ago I used some dawn on the deck lid to clean some bird poo poo off. Could all this be a result of taking all the wax off the deck lid and quarter panels?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Jealous Cow posted:

So about a week ago I used some dawn on the deck lid to clean some bird poo poo off. Could all this be a result of taking all the wax off the deck lid and quarter panels?

Possibly. It could be residual soap showing, too. Either way, let the detailer look at it tomorrow and you'll be sorted.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Seminal Flu posted:

Possibly. It could be residual soap showing, too. Either way, let the detailer look at it tomorrow and you'll be sorted.

This is the best answer. I'd go hands off until he/she can assess and get it squared away. Once it's sorted, I'd not only look into a ceramic coating and some plain old car wash solution, but also for a better place to park (if possible).

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Goober Peas posted:

This is the best answer. I'd go hands off until he/she can assess and get it squared away. Once it's sorted, I'd not only look into a ceramic coating and some plain old car wash solution, but also for a better place to park (if possible).

I have a garage but it’s been parked outside for a week or so while the plaster ceiling is redone. (It’s a 100 year old carriage house)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well it might have stripped the wax off if there was any on there in the first place...did you wax it?

go buy the meguire's gold bottle from costco, that stuff works well for how cheap it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Even though the op is old, dawn is still my go to for stripping old wax.

I should update the op next week when I have time with new and cool stuff.