Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

Thank you.

As noted thread dickhead Ash Crimson neatly managed to bring it back around to just then, this started because a bunch of you got you panties in a twist over being called out for attacking someone's personal appearance and weight issues instead of, y'know, concentrating on their position because the moment someone doesn't agree with you, apparently that's ok! So deal with that.

SOCIAL JUSTICE FOR ALL! (except the fat fucks who disagree with me)

Unless the dude has prader willi syndrome he must shoulder some of the blame for he weight issue

I've been nothing but polite and understanding towards you, please don't insult me because I have a differing position to yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

I've been nothing but polite and understanding towards you, please don't insult me because I have a differing position to yours

You post on a dying internet comedy forum and expect what?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Kim Justice posted:

EDIT: Like, this isn't serious. I can't believe you'd put Milo UNDER a guy who at worst has South Park politics.

Have you really never before encountered the idea that gutless centrists carrying water for the far right is more damaging than the far right itself? Whether you disagree or not, it’s not exactly some wild idea out of nowhere.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Sio posted:

Have you really never before encountered the idea that gutless centrists carrying water for the far right is more damaging than the far right itself? Whether you disagree or not, it’s not exactly some wild idea out of nowhere.

Boogie literally thinks social progress should stall until bigots are on board/aren't so uncomfortable, which is at stark odds with history and reality.

I doubt his opinions on trans acceptance and visibility are any better

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Just to play devil's advocate here but gently caress boogie and any other white male nerd that sits in the comfort of their home calling for both sides to be civil. Normalizing the alt right when the most abuse you'll ever get is a feminst video game critic gently scolding you is pathetic.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kim Justice posted:

Boogie causes more harm than Milo, the guy who wrote all those Breitbart articles on GamerGate? Milo who took pride in driving people off of Twitter? Milo, the man whose very presence at talks was enough to start a loving riot? Milo who liked to publically out and dox non-famous trans people who were at the universities he was giving talks in, and was able to spout all of this poo poo over mainstream media?

EDIT: Like, this isn't serious. I can't believe you'd put Milo UNDER a guy who at worst has South Park politics.

centrists have been complacent in or directly responsible for the destruction of various social safety nets, they make excuses for the far right by playing the 'both sides' bullshit, they've passed laws further entrenching the power of the ultra-rich, they voted for the formation of ice. centrists absolutely cause more harm than milo, especially american 'centrists' who are really just conservatives at this point anyway.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kim Justice posted:

Also reading comprehension isn't really the issue here, it's a classic tactic. Even if you know you're completely in the wrong, try and change the angle.

:ironicat:

Most people were just calling him a giant moron and rear end in a top hat that doesn't know history, not to mention all the useless "centrist" morons appeal to plenty more "reasonable" people who just want to keep the status quo or stop having to hear so much about those mean leftists being so aggressive when their opposition are literally neo-nazis. People like boogie propagate at best feelgood bullshit that helps nobody and more often, actively harmful history whitewashing when they push this "But civilityyyy is how we win" stupidity, like yeah sure civility, remember all those events where civility won the day and not civil unrest and constant pushback against oppression, oh you don't, I swear it's out there somewhere, either way please stop being mean to the nazis their memes are very comforting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess Rose Tico was wrong, and we actually do win by destroying what we hate rather than saving what we love.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Uh, Kim, the one guy being a moron about Boogie's weight got probated for it. I agree that mocking a dude for his weight issues isn't cool, but you're kinda being very overdramatic about this.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Can anyone tell me why people like this boogie guy at all? Everytime he comes up in any of the social media feeds I'm on he just seems like the biggest piece of poo poo lmao. Is it just gamers

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can anyone tell me why people like this boogie guy at all? Everytime he comes up in any of the social media feeds I'm on he just seems like the biggest piece of poo poo lmao. Is it just gamers

From what I remember, he got popular for screaming at Blizzard over Diablo 3 or something.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
It's always gamers

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

He's a dopey faux-positivity personality and video funnyman.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

when boogie weighs in on the issues, he really... blames the deaths of gay people on gay marriage being legal too soon

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

He's a dopey faux-positivity personality and video funnyman.

Sounds like a bitch to me op

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Why is Boogie worth defending at all.

In fact, why is it worth considering anything Boogie says.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

WampaLord posted:

Yea there's really no point in going "Shame on you, Milo!" because Milo is an admitted troll and doesn't give a gently caress or feel shame.

Whereas centrist dipshits like Boogie do feel shame and so should be shamed into not having such god awful opinions about how we have to give the benefit of the doubt to pedo Nazi fucks.

The problem I see is that if you were to shame Boogie, or present most anything the thread's said about him so far directly to him, it might not necessarily pull him back towards the left.

The issue seems less like, "let's be civil to the people who oppose us" and more so, "let's be civil to the people who are undecided or in the middle so that we don't push them further away."

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I can just imagine boogie at the stonewall riots, desperately begging them to wait until Obama gets into office to allow the gay marriages, pointing out to the police which ones to arrest

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

The problem I see is that if you were to shame Boogie, or present most anything the thread's said about him so far directly to him, it might not necessarily pull him back towards the left.

The issue seems less like, "let's be civil to the people who oppose us" and more so, "let's be civil to the people who are undecided or in the middle so that we don't push them further away."

The catch is that it’s seeming less and less reasonable to believe that Boogie is undecided, given how much benefit of the doubt he gives to the far right compared to anyone else. Dude’s just looking for validation. After a few times round the Internet, this radicalisation pattern seems quite familiar - see Scott Alexander, for instance. Dude’s already gone, and we’ve probably only got a little while until he starts retweeting the Fourteen Words.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Max Wilco posted:

yes let's be civil to the dude who says that gay people should not have been in such a hurry to allow gay marriage to be legal if they didn't want to be murdered as much

the people who are undecided and are actually worth reaching out to don't say poo poo like that

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Centrists are very rarely, if at all, actually people who are undecided and considering their options.

Most of the time, they have simply decided that the status quo is good as is, and doesn't need to be changed.

Edit - Being undecided is the kind of benefit of the doubt I'd give to teenagers/young adults, not a thirty old man on Youtube who thinks they're smart enough to give their takes on politics.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

The people who go rightward because someone wasn't ~civil~ with them were never going to move left in the first place, it's just a smokescreen that fuckwads pull out to excuse their burgeoning bigotry.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

So is Boogie even aware that the effort to legalize gay marriage was already a very long and hard-fought thing by the time the law was passed? He seems to think it just came out of nowhere one day and surprised everyone. Yeah, affecting real social change is a slow process but there’s no reason to add even more time onto a generations-long struggle just to appease some spiteful fundamentalists.

I’m all for giving both sides of a conflict a chance to make their case, but that only applies when both sides are prepared to back up their positions with logic. You can’t do that with the anti-gay-marriage camp because their position isn’t based on logic but on their warped religious beliefs.

Max Wilco posted:

I would generally agree with this, but as others have pointed out I don’t think Boogie can really be called undecided at this point. If he really was neutral and didn’t want to get involved, he’d do exactly that and just not say anything. As it is, he’s said some very stupid things lately and he deserves to get called out for doing so.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat I just saw that he was on a H3 podcast. Can’t gently caress with that

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

H3 lost me finally when he was too proud to apologize for saying dumb poo poo when despite him stating he didn’t mean it.

Like fine if you didn’t mean it, I believe that, but you don’t get to choose if you think you’ve bothered someone or not.

If he didn’t do anything I’d probably like him more, but he did that angry whiny video it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hemingway To Go! posted:

In fact, why is it worth considering anything Boogie says.

The correct answer

edit: Like, I only ever hear anything about this dude when he says a Wrong Thing, and there's already plenty of nerds who do that. I get that he use to be something but it'd be about as interesting as if someone pointed out that whoever played the Grimace said a Wrong Thing. Oh, an extremely niche internet person made a dumbass tweet and did nothing else, better let the Internet People thread know this important intel!

Meanwhile while y'all are relitigating the dumbass civility argument, here's some actually interesting and on-topic content!

Sideways done a new video on Fantasia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZIECBqtZNk

Gaming Historian showcases some Hudson/Nintendo PC Games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPqMzDTqbTs

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 29, 2018

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

lol what possibilites could his fat arse bring to a left wing movement if he can't even offer a committed position on gay marriage.

Actually lets go back; what possible benefit could a gaming YouTuber in his mid 40s bring to the left?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Roth posted:

Centrists are very rarely, if at all, actually people

Indeed

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

Actually lets go back; what possible benefit could a gaming YouTuber in his mid 40s bring to the left?

Someone with four and a half million subscribers could probably help with getting your message out. In theory, anyway. There’s no way Boogie would actually do it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

If I recall, the Francis sketches were pretty funny in the early days of Youtube and he also did a lot to help people with losing weight and by being open about how much being obese hosed him up physically and mentally (I didn't actually watch his vlogs and stuff, so I don't know have first hand experience on how that was handled). He it seemed that he had a lot of goodwill that he seems to be flushing down the toilet with Bad Opinions™.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Boogie is a lost cause.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm just here with my popcorn and contempt watching Boogie become more openly fascist going like "wow, he's really being an rear end in a top hat. Maybe he should stop that and apologize."

Annointed fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 29, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

enough of this boobery, LGR got a Gizmondo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Boogie is a lost cause.

Yeah, that’s probably something he also has spicy takes on. Or will have in a couple of weeks, given his current trajectory.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Rantasmo did a thing about Straight Pride that's pretty entertaining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjMrp8LeOno

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

For whatever it's worth, and pretty much the last thing I'm going to say on the whole thing, is that he did walk back a lot of the "Oh give it 20 years" crap that he said after having a discussion with an IRL friend about it who was kinda pissed off. Apparently he realised that the example he went to of Harvey Milk (someone he admires) kinda works against him seeing as despite all of his qualities he was gunned down, and recognises that more action now can actually be a good thing and that people really aren't going to be happy at all with "just be patient"...so y'know, steps in a better direction? Hopefully. Another good step would be "time to not talk about politics anymore and do less controversial things" but heeeeeeeeeeyyyyy hooooo

But there's not really much more worth discussing. Here's something worth discussing - Dan Bell's almighty Another Dirty Room series is back! Here's the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2eNqj8spa4

And here's the second, fresh out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjTqddZMBR0

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alaois posted:

enough of this boobery, LGR got a Gizmondo

I knew about this thing. I was in high school when this launched. It was so weird because I had heard about it from magazines at the time and thought there was this crazy world of handheld gaming outside of Nintendo (and Sony's upcoming handheld.) It sounded like it was some kind of handheld specifically for adults. I never saw one in person and didn't even know where it was sold. And then I was really confused when Gizmondo came out around the same time, and I kept thinking they were like a magazine dedicated to Gizmodo or something.

Remember the aptly named Phantom? It would have let you play PC games on your TV! What a novel concept. I'd love an LGR vaporware special on that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

Boogie is a lost cause.

yeah. personally i dont think he will go full fash, though he is certenly as useful idiot for them. He is to much of coward/people pleaser to pick a side outright.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Anthony Fantano, the Needle Drop, reviews Death Grips' latest LP, Year Of the Snitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I Before E posted:

when boogie weighs in on the issues

Wow, enjoy your sixer