Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I HAVE ADDRESSED IT MULTIPLE TIMES!

Me and some women went out drinking. We all got drunk. I tried to ask a woman if she wanted to go back to my place and chill. She said no and that was it!!!! I went home!

God damnit have none of you ever went out and tried to meet a woman or something?!?!

I'm sorry mods but this constant rude inaccurate behavior is just ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

A Man and his Hog posted:

I HAVE ADDRESSED IT MULTIPLE TIMES!

Me and some women went out drinking. We all got drunk. I tried to ask a woman if she wanted to go back to my place and chill. She said no and that was it!!!! I went home!

God damnit have none of you ever went out and tried to meet a woman or something?!?!

I'm sorry mods but this constant rude inaccurate behavior is just ridiculous.

Revisionist history.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I went out for dinner for my birthday with my mum and brother. We got to the restaurant and were seated by the chef, who also took our order. After we eventually asked him what was going on, he told us that his three wait staff who were on that night had all called in sick, none of his three others could make it, and his dishwasher called in sick. He said he considered just closing for the night but by the time he found out it was literally just him, it was too late. We decided not to stay for dessert.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Slowpoke! posted:

Peanut butter is fantastic on a burger but it’s one of those things that you order once for the novelty and never again.

Place by me has a breakfast burger with bacon,egg, and peanut butter. I get that every time I'm there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I look forward to all the old people complaining about our fans being on with the excessive heat here.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

iospace posted:

I look forward to all the old people complaining about our fans being on with the excessive heat here.

Ugh, I used to hate that when I worked for a theatre in a town full of retirees.
:corsair: "I come here every Thursday for the free afternoon movie, and it's always so cold! Can't you do something about it?"
Me [thinking]: "if you come here every week and you consistently find our kickass HVAC system too cold, can't you remember to bring a cardigan next time?"

I have like negative 7 % body fat, so I understand being cold in excessive AC, but I'm also smart enough to bring a hoodie everywhere I go so I don't die of hypothermia in the freezer aisle of Kroger, let alone a theatre. Just common loving sense.

Unrelated edit: today in "wtf" tickets...

2 PANCAKE
*no green onions*

And some dude who ordered eggs, but demanded that they not be cooked on the same grill as our meat. Is that a legit allergy thing, or just some person who's crazy enough to be that hardcore against meat, but not enough to fully commit to being vegan?

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 29, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Probably allergic to some sort of seasoning. Also possibly just an rear end in a top hat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's that tick that makes you allergic to red meat.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's legit and not much fun. I just avoid anything cooked on a griddle though.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

There's that tick that makes you allergic to red meat.

poo poo, I forgot about that, thanks.

Scarodactyl posted:

It's legit and not much fun. I just avoid anything cooked on a griddle though.

Doesn't sound fun, I'm sorry man. :( Fwiw we did accommodate by using a fresh frying pan and doing his eggs on the stove instead of the grill.

Now our temp dish guy who interrupted me while I was getting slammed on a Saturday to ask for his own personal hash browns order "because I'm on a low sodium diet", and proceeds to get a fried bologna biscuit at the end of every shift? He can gently caress right off.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Now our temp dish guy who interrupted me while I was getting slammed on a Saturday to ask for his own personal hash browns order "because I'm on a low sodium diet", and proceeds to get a fried bologna biscuit at the end of every shift? He can gently caress right off.

Tell him to make his own loving hash browns.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
He's trash because he's not helping out while other people are slammed in the first place, but you don't loving ask people for food in the middle of a rush anyways.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Dude is trash all around. Slowest dishwasher I've ever seen, if he doesn't have dish to do he literally just stands there and stares at me (I thought he was creeping on me bc I'm the only woman besides my KM in BOH, but our line guy bitched about that too today). KM finally gives him some prep work to do, pulling bbq chix off the bone, he takes easily half an hour to pull one chicken. And when I go to portion bag it up, poo poo had a metric gently caress ton of bones in it. Not little pin bones either, like "how the gently caress did you miss this?" bones.

I want him gone asap, but that's not gonna happen. He's apparently part of a package deal, as he's the husband of one of our bakers, and SHE'S got some variety of cray-cray where she won't work there unless her man does as well. So we pay this chucklefuck to basically stand around and be her therapy dog.

Can y'all guess why I refer to our store as The Island of Misfit Toys? I mean, it's nice that KM takes on us losers and gives us second, third, hell, fourth chances at life. Most of us have jail records, or are on probation, can't drive, etc. No joke, she once learned that a guy was living in the woods behind our sister store, and gave him a dish job. If they were short staffed that day, the asst mgr would just walk out back and yell the guy's name, that's how you called Tony in to work. He'd just come rustling out from the bushes like Bigfoot.

She comes across mean as gently caress, but when it comes down to it, my KM has a secret heart of gold and a soft spot for us choo-choos with square wheels, but sometimes... That just ain't how you run a store.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

that's how you called Tony in to work. He'd just come rustling out from the bushes like Bigfoot.

I almost wish we had a bush-dweller to come in if needed.
Mostly our cooks call off for plausible but bullshit reasons, because dealing drugs makes more money.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Unrelated edit: today in "wtf" tickets...

2 PANCAKE
*no green onions*

maybe they mistook you for a teahouse and were afraid you would accidently serve them scallion pancakes

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
We just had our walk-in crap out and I had to throw out over 3,000 chicken wings. Worst part: one of my fellow managers tried to tell me that we could cook off the wings that smell like putrid death and it probably won’t make people sick.

I just stared while I gagged and threw out almost 40 cases of chicken.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Jesus Christ. You, did the right thing. You cannot serve that poo poo.

Walk In Summer breakdowns are the worst.

Like everything has to go and be replaced, not to mention the Walk In cooler.

You did the right thing. Do not serve that poo poo to the public.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stringent posted:

why are you trying to change the subject about your behavior which ppl have been talking about? i haven't been following the thread that long, but it seems like you should address it?

shut up

You did the right thing.

shut up

shut up

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

maybe they mistook you for a teahouse and were afraid you would accidently serve them scallion pancakes

Look when I walk into IHOP for Osaka style okonomiyaki I want the drat green onions.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jesus Christ. You, did the right thing. You cannot serve that poo poo.

Walk In Summer breakdowns are the worst.

Like everything has to go and be replaced, not to mention the Walk In cooler.

You did the right thing. Do not serve that poo poo to the public.

This. When I was 18 I delivered pizza for Domino's for a summer after my freshman year at college, and the walk-in went out. The assistant manager started to try to salvage some of the food until another employee called the GM to let him know we'd need to order up, and he just shut the store down for the day. I was too young and stupid to understand the implications at the time, but in retrospect...drat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Look when I walk into IHOP for Osaka style okonomiyaki I want the drat green onions.

It's IHOb now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Skwirl posted:

It's IHOb now.

Oh yeah . Forgot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

virinvictus posted:

We just had our walk-in crap out and I had to throw out over 3,000 chicken wings. Worst part: one of my fellow managers tried to tell me that we could cook off the wings that smell like putrid death and it probably won’t make people sick.

Just tell the manager you'll look the other way if he wants to take them home.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
just got brunch in a very well known dinner spot and it was absolutely empty. my friend and i got a full brunch, some german tourists stopped in for a beer cocktail and that was pretty much it from 10:30am to noon when a few lunch folks started coming in

i asked the waitress if this was typical and she said yes and i'm trying to wrap my head around why they even open for brunch service

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

virinvictus posted:

Jesus, sorry dude.

I ever tell y'all about when I worked at the deli, and my manager came up with the asinine (and dangerous) idea of not putting the salads in Cambros, so y'know, we'd know the date it was made? Instead we were to immediately put them in clamshells and store them in the walk in. Then every day we'd take out whatever the par was for the case, and THEN stick a label on them. So you could have a tuna salad that was made 5 days ago, but the label would say "date packed" as today's date and then an expiry date of 3 days later. Absolute lying to customers about the freshness of what they were buying, and a food poisoning lawsuit waiting to happen.

So one day I'm pulling ten containers of coleslaw out, and the lids were literally bulging, because the poo poo was fermenting. I show her as I'm pulling out the waste log, and her reply was "Let me smell it. Well, some of these aren't so bad, go ahead and repack them." Soon as her back was turned I threw all that poo poo out.

Just one of the many reasons I no longer work OR eat there.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Jesus, sorry dude.

I ever tell y'all about when I worked at the deli, and my manager came up with the asinine (and dangerous) idea of not putting the salads in Cambros, so y'know, we'd know the date it was made? Instead we were to immediately put them in clamshells and store them in the walk in. Then every day we'd take out whatever the par was for the case, and THEN stick a label on them. So you could have a tuna salad that was made 5 days ago, but the label would say "date packed" as today's date and then an expiry date of 3 days later. Absolute lying to customers about the freshness of what they were buying, and a food poisoning lawsuit waiting to happen.

So one day I'm pulling ten containers of coleslaw out, and the lids were literally bulging, because the poo poo was fermenting. I show her as I'm pulling out the waste log, and her reply was "Let me smell it. Well, some of these aren't so bad, go ahead and repack them." Soon as her back was turned I threw all that poo poo out.

Just one of the many reasons I no longer work OR eat there.

Working at a retail gig I remember having to watch one particular (organic, vegan, mostly gluten free, beloved on yelp and in health blogs) vendor like a hawk when they were delivering. On more than one occasion I'd refuse delivery of product I'd ordered because it was dated as best by same day or the next day (I ordered from them twice a week and expected to have stock between deliveries), and when I did this the driver would just say "oh, I'll just get you a different lot" and then I would follow up a few minutes later and catch him peeling off stickers and putting new ones on. This is product that within 24 hours of its labeled best by date I've seen packaging burst from fermentation gasses building up.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 1, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jeeze Louise. Y'know, that was the funny thing about that deli, too, was it was at a hippy co-op where the managers were obsessed about cross contamination when it came to vegan or gluten free poo poo (they'd holler at me when I was putting buns on the panini press, insisting that gluten free had to be on the left side, as if the gluten molecules somehow knew to stay on their side of this tiny 12" press). But 10 day old chicken salad? gently caress, who cares, we have food costs to worry about. Never mind that a bad review, let alone a lawsuit, over someone getting food poisoning, would cost the store so much more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

just got brunch in a very well known dinner spot and it was absolutely empty. my friend and i got a full brunch, some german tourists stopped in for a beer cocktail and that was pretty much it from 10:30am to noon when a few lunch folks started coming in

i asked the waitress if this was typical and she said yes and i'm trying to wrap my head around why they even open for brunch service

There's a thing where, once you have an actual restaurant space that's either actually making money or is close to it the owners think "if we add this extra thing we can make more money" without necessarily having the proper setup, staff or knowing if there's a market for it. And then they won't pay anything to advertise it or do any promotion because "if you build it they will come."

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Skwirl posted:

There's a thing where, once you have an actual restaurant space that's either actually making money or is close to it the owners think "if we add this extra thing we can make more money" without necessarily having the proper setup, staff or knowing if there's a market for it. And then they won't pay anything to advertise it or do any promotion because "if you build it they will come."

Yeah, but I doubt that's the case here. Brunch probably made sense if you already had a prep cook or two in at 8am anyways, so you just get someone to come in and work the line. Servers cost nothing, so you can have 3-4 on staff, one acting as host/hostess and everyone can make their own cocktails. 1 dish, 1 busser, maybe 1 more person if your team isn't that strong.

So we're looking at ~$75/hr in controllable labor, management labor is fixed and shouldn't be part of your daily labor/productivity. Food cost on bruch is easy to run at 17-18%. Let's say your average brunch goer gets an entree and 1.5 drinks, so average check should be $20-25. Let's say profit minus food cost on an average check is $14-17. Because it's 3am and I'm getting tired of math, I'll say $15 for ease. Just gotta do 5 covers an hour to cover labor, another 5 for operating costs.

So yeah, brunch is always worth it unless you do literally no business.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yeah, but I doubt that's the case here. Brunch probably made sense if you already had a prep cook or two in at 8am anyways, so you just get someone to come in and work the line. Servers cost nothing, so you can have 3-4 on staff, one acting as host/hostess and everyone can make their own cocktails. 1 dish, 1 busser, maybe 1 more person if your team isn't that strong.

So we're looking at ~$75/hr in controllable labor, management labor is fixed and shouldn't be part of your daily labor/productivity. Food cost on bruch is easy to run at 17-18%. Let's say your average brunch goer gets an entree and 1.5 drinks, so average check should be $20-25. Let's say profit minus food cost on an average check is $14-17. Because it's 3am and I'm getting tired of math, I'll say $15 for ease. Just gotta do 5 covers an hour to cover labor, another 5 for operating costs.

So yeah, brunch is always worth it unless you do literally no business.

I've never known anyone who enjoyed working brunch other than bartenders who worked at a high volume Sunday funday type place and went home with great money. They tried to get me to work there but I was already doing fine, just wasn't worth it. But from an owner's standpoint, yes it's worth it if you can get even a small crowd.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The only place I ever worked that did brunch everyone hated it. Kitchen crew, servers(who also made drinks and coffees).
We would only do about 10-15 covers dragged out over the whole morning as well. Unless it was easter or mothers day.
We would also do weddings on weekends and occasionally wine dinners.

One particularly bad Sunday we did a brunch service, turned around at 12 did a wedding dinner for 60-some people. Then did a wine dinner for about the same amount at 4 and finally did dinner service after that at 7. This was a pretty small kitchen so only about 8 cooks on various stations all there all day(everyone salary of course).
I was the pastry chef there. I ran away from that place as fast as I could after that.

Evey menu was different. It was what I imagine hell to be like endless tickets coming in while trying to prep for the next menu in between.

That's the weekend the owners decided to stop doing brunch unless it was a holiday weekend.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Brunch menus that don't have overlap with the rest of your menus implies to me that the owner doesn't know how2restaurant, or at the least, how2chef.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the one fancy brunch place I go to does brunch from like 9-2. Shuts down. Let's everyone prep and get ready for dinner service at 5.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Most restaraunt owners don't give a poo poo about overlap or prep, all they see is dollar signs. They power seat tables while the kitchen is switching over and turbo gently caress the whole place, that's been my experience with brunch.

Also gently caress brunch.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Despite being in operation for over 30 years and the one owner formerly being the Chef there they were woefully ignorant on how to run a proper kitchen. If the place wasn't a "luxury inn" they would have lost their shirts a long time ago.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Got secret shopped.

Perfect score.

Suck my (metaphorical) nuts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Brunch is often the worst shift if you're FOH, it's when people who don't eat out very often eat out. That's when you'll have customers snapping fingers at you, acting incredulous about the prices, trying to order poo poo that's not on the menu, trying to loving haggle about the prices (what if I don't get the toast with my omelette, how much then?) and lovely tips.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's the most white person meal ever, I loving hate it.

Waiting on a 6 top of rich kids who have never done a hard days work in their lives bitching about how their eggs aren't cooked exactly how they wanted. gently caress you.

Field Mousepad fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 1, 2018

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Field Mousepad posted:

It's the most white person meal ever, I loving hate it.

Waiting on a 6 top of rich kids who have never done a hard days work in their lives bitching about how their eggs aren't cooked exactly how they wanted. gently caress you.

Blue collar doesn't do brunch. Have you ever heard another industry worker talking about a brunch place? I sure as gently caress haven't. Never did in the oilfield, not in the machining industry, and not in retail. But my wife, who's an office worker? People talk about brunch. People have brunch. White collar motherfuckers have brunch.

Three days ago, someone at the hotel complained about us not doing brunch. Two days ago, same guy was yelling at the servers over not getting his food fast enough after a) slowly eating his appy for an hour, b) waiting until all the indoor seating was filled and the kitchen was nuts before the servers told us gently caress it, fire the mains, c) got pissy because he was in a hurry (cause really, the best place to go for fast food is a nice sit down restaurant) and then d) left without paying after getting all his poo poo in to-go boxes. Staff got free beers from other customers after dickwad did his yelling and screaming, which was nice. Last night, I got great news. Turns out that guy had been staying at the hotel. He was removed from the hotel without refund, and the owners have apparently given him a choice of paying in full for everything he and his wife had ordered, or be charged with theft.

TL:DR gently caress 'brunch' people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Speaking of eggs, one time I had three different tables, all Asians, try and order eggs "Sunny side up over easy." This is near a university so I wondered if there was a messed translation guide handed out to the students or something. It was easy to explain (do you want them to cook both sides?) but it was really weird to get that 3 times in the same day and never before or since.