Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Whaaaaauhhwhat? Are you serious?

Deadly serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Vikar Jerome posted:

Whaaaaauhhwhat? Are you serious?

HAA! How did you not know?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sending developers over to the US to do research is expensive, just rent a movie about a school from Japanese Blockbuster.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
As far as people noticing real life textures used in games goes, nothing will ever top someone recognizing a wall texture in some Spanish alleyway being used in RE 4.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

so i played re6 cuz it was like $8 on steam n i liked it
the way ppl have talked about this game made me think it was gonna be like straight up broken or some poo poo (gently caress the bee enemies tho n also that snowmobile poo poo)
also i looked up a guide on what order to play the chapters n i think it worked pretty well

some thoughts:
-i like the mobility n how it plays
-i like how dumb it all is n unapologetic w/ its over the top action
-leon is too old for that hair style
-i like that it has a hell of a lot more to do w/ resident evil lore/characters than 4 (but i still love 4 ok dont freak out)

this is a really weird franchise when i think about all the games its had n how different theyve been
i dont envy capcom when it comes to pleasing fans

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
As long as Leon still gets the custom magnum and custom shotgun that eviscerate entire rooms of zombies like RE2, then RE2Make will be good.

If you remember the shotgun you are a true fan. Literally a bazooka shotgun that dismembered and tore apart every zombie in your path.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Lunethex posted:

As long as Leon still gets the custom magnum and custom shotgun that eviscerate entire rooms of zombies like RE2, then RE2Make will be good.

If you remember the shotgun you are a true fan. Literally a bazooka shotgun that dismembered and tore apart every zombie in your path.

No resident evil game has yet to have a gun that felt as powerful as the Elephant gun from Eternal Darkness. Firing that weapon without coming to a complete stop and steadying your aim would cause the recoil to fly your rear end across the room.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Ryoga posted:

No resident evil game has yet to have a gun that felt as powerful as the Elephant gun from Eternal Darkness. Firing that weapon without coming to a complete stop and steadying your aim would cause the recoil to fly your rear end across the room.

I think most games can't match up to that tbh

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Turdfuzz posted:

-leon is too old for that hair style

Leon's hair is perfect and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Vakal posted:

As far as people noticing real life textures used in games goes, nothing will ever top someone recognizing a wall texture in some Spanish alleyway being used in RE 4.

That is only the tip of the iceberg. The guy developing the unofficial HD remaster travelled to Wales and Spain looking for high quality textures. The same ones used in the original.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Has anyone played SH 1 recently? Wondering if it holds up

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

sponges posted:

I played it a year and a half or so ago. Mechanically it doesn't feel as solid as RE games from the same era, but the story and atmosphere is still good even with (Because of?) the PSX limitations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

sponges posted:

Sure, one of the best in the genre. I mean for me it's been at least five years, but still. If you're interested in any PS1 survival horror I don't think you'd find that one aged much or anything.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

sponges posted:

It is good.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

sponges posted:

My friend and I started playing RE1 and SH1 at the same time in the past two weeks, just trading off when either of us died or needed a break, Silent Hill has a slightly better control scheme but has much harder combat/puzzles.

Resident Evil/Silent Hill/Dino Crisis/Parasite Eve are all pretty similar

The first Silent Hill is more unsettling, imo. Lots less ammo, a lot more enemies, the soundtrack is creepier. It's still janky graphics but it's still a good game.

There's a lot more emphasis on story and "Survival" in Silent Hill 1-3

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
SH2 is the real deal, SH1 is good but I think the second game had much more of an impact.
It might be difficult to try SH1 today, as with all PS1 games it has aged like milk.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

SH2 is the real deal, SH1 is good but I think the second game had much more of an impact.
It might be difficult to try SH1 today, as with all PS1 games it has aged like milk.
The good thing about this genre is as awful as these stories are there's a half-dozen games in the genre that are still fun to play. Silent Hill 3 is arguably the best in the "Tank control" genre but there's also Fatal Frame 2 and Resident Evil 2 and 3 which are just as great. Then there's Dino Crisis which is Resident Evil, but Dinosaurs, and Parasite Eve, which is Resident Evil but a girl is the main character. Fatal Frame is Resident Evil but spooky ghosts and Silent Hill is Resident Evil, except foggy nightmare

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think the timeless ones are ironically games with tank controls like in RE. Its a very simple control scheme and I watched an old SA lp of RE2 a while back and was suprised how good the graphics looked. Not only the static scenes were nice to look at but also character models and animation.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You might be thinking of Parasite Eve 2 as similar to RE because the only thing similar in 1 is that you run through levels with pre-rendered backgrounds. It’s a straight up RPG with time meter battles, just you control your positioning.

Dino Crisis is a hell of a good RE clone though, even today. Way better than classic RE’s in all but setting and enemy variety (though I could see the supporting characters being a love ‘em or hate ‘em thing). Unless you know exactly what to do it can actually start to feel like the survival in survival-horror means something.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 30, 2018

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

You might be thinking of Parasite Eve 2 as similar to RE because the only thing similar in 1 is that you run through levels with pre-rendered backgrounds. It’s a straight up RPG with time meter battles, just you control your positioning.

Dino Crisis is a hell of a good RE clone though, even today. Way better than classic RE’s in all but setting and enemy variety (though I could see the supporting characters being a love ‘em or hate ‘em thing). Unless you know exactly what to do it can actually start to feel like the survival in survival-horror means something.
Parasite Eve is "Final Fantasy tries to do Resident Evil"
Dino Crisis is a lot of fun, but the backtracking is probably the worst in any tank-control game in the genre.

Fatal Frame is super different too. It's still third-person tank controls and puzzle solving but the combat is first-person although still just as awkward and high tension

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
Dino Crisis is a huge mess of incredibly gray hallways and completely interchangeable keycards. As much as nerds love to stickle on the realism of RE at least you could remember where you saw a sword lock way better than which door requires keycard G and multipass H.

And the soundtrack is a bunch of RE dual shock edition style noodling

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dino Crisis is a game that could use a remake. It's brilliant in a lot of ways but it's also bogged down by the puzzles, backtracking and item collecting which hinder the experience. Capcom must have agreed too, because Dino Crisis 2 removed all of that and played like the Mercenaries mode from Resident Evil 3 if it were expanded to a full game and had dinosaurs instead of zombies.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

WaltherFeng posted:

That is only the tip of the iceberg. The guy developing the unofficial HD remaster travelled to Wales and Spain looking for high quality textures. The same ones used in the original.

I just found this guys site. What's the story here? Didn't capcom release resident evil 4 HD anyway, or did they skimp out on the textures or something?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kin posted:

I just found this guys site. What's the story here? Didn't capcom release resident evil 4 HD anyway, or did they skimp out on the textures or something?

Capcom uprezed the textures by putting a sharpening filter them, they didn't actually create HD textures. The unofficial HD texture pack is the real deal.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I remember loving the poo poo out of Dino Crisis 2 but the memories are mostly fuzzy now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never played DC2 because I'd already moved on to *sob* Dreamcast by them and tbh the move away from traditional Resi stuff put me off.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dino Crisis 2 loving rules. If it weren't for the overly long underwater segment, it'd be one of the top 5 action games on the PS1. Plus the plot is suitably Capcom crazy.

I wish DC3 had been good...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Deadly serious.

:eyepop:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

HAA! How did you not know?

i guess i never really frequented any silent hill sites/boards despite playing the game to death.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Dino Crisis 2 loving owned. DC1 and DC2 reminds me of the first two Alien films, the first one focused on horror and the second one focused on action and both directions worked.

DC 2 did the whole earn-currency-for-killing-things really really well. It didn't try to devise a plot reason for it, it just gamified it. Kill a dinosaur, earn points, spend them for bigger guns to kill bigger dinosaurs with. No explanation required and none was given. It's pure gaming at its best. It's a shame DC3 ended up the way it did.

Hard to believe it came out 18 years ago now.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 30, 2018

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A modernized remake of Dino Crisis would totally be my jam. I played that game so much.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SettingSun posted:

A modernized remake of Dino Crisis would totally be my jam. I played that game so much.

Out of all the classic action/horror series that started on the PSOne, I think I am most interested in the remake of Nightmare Creatures that is apparently in the works.

The game world just oozes atmosphere and can be quite creepy at times, but my god are the controls and camera just horrid all around.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

there's a potential remake for Nightmare Creatures?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, whoa, what? I thought that The Order 1886 game was the closest thing to a new Nightmare Creatures we were ever gonna get

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Aces High posted:

there's a potential remake for Nightmare Creatures?

I never heard about it either, but I guess they teased it last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rPiqo397lM

Honestly, it looks really rough and will probably be horrible if it ever gets released. But I'm cautiously optimistic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol that voice over

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

im playing REmake and wow its so loving good but also I hosed up and saved too much

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Junpei Hyde posted:

im playing REmake and wow its so loving good but also I hosed up and saved too much

My pet peeve in games is repeating any content, or god forbid - backtracking. But my god do they manage to make saving and traversing the mansion tense, interesting and a good part of resource management through the ink cartridges.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK tips for the aqua ring when you're a huge baby whos afraid of sharks

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Junpei Hyde posted:

OK tips for the aqua ring when you're a huge baby whos afraid of sharks

Watch Shark Tale beforehand and just laugh at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm honestly baffled at how someone can run out of ink ribbons. They throw you a lot in REmake, even on the Real Survivor mode.