Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Expanse should've crushed As to dust on avclub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

kerwyn posted:

The station didn't care about anything inside the ships. It could slow down things inside itself but the field wouldn't penetrate a ship

it's why maneo got turned into a red stain and a ton of people died when the speed limit changed. if it affected them they'd have been stopped just like the ships

I posted yesterday about how it was a lot gorier in the books, and it got me thinking: wouldn't literally EVERYONE on those ships have died? Even if they're already on the crash couch, the couch is expecting the floor to be back towards the engine, and the decel was basically a ridiculously hard acceleration in the complete opposite direction. I think everyone in ringspace would have been thrown into the ship's ceiling at hundreds of miles per hour.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Monglo posted:

When I watched the last scene with Holden passing through the Ring and getting the weird flash I had the impression that it was supposed to convey Miller entering Holden and fusing with him to further follow him outside the alien space which it was sort of established he couldn't fully do before - he said the signal was to weak outside of it, right?
If I remember correctly, it happened immediately after Miller saying that he wanted to investigate what happened to the ancient alien civilization further.
It would be a good way to continue using Miller as a spirit guide in the next season, when the crew leaves the vicinity of the Ring.
Really like the character and the actor portraits him quite well, so really hope we see more of him.
Was I way off with this speculation?
This is also how I read that moment

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like how we got a view of how insane Holden looked as people watched him argue with his invisible friend.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

For anyone wanting to try to get into the books like me, the first book is 2.99 on kindle

https://www.amazon.com/Leviathan-Wa...se+book+2&psc=1

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Phenotype posted:

I posted yesterday about how it was a lot gorier in the books, and it got me thinking: wouldn't literally EVERYONE on those ships have died? Even if they're already on the crash couch, the couch is expecting the floor to be back towards the engine, and the decel was basically a ridiculously hard acceleration in the complete opposite direction. I think everyone in ringspace would have been thrown into the ship's ceiling at hundreds of miles per hour.

The inertial dampeners kicked in at the last second

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phylodox posted:

Joetomolecule.

I like it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bloom posted:

So I've got a minor :goonsay: nitpick: Why would the power armor's gun be bio-locked to the user but not the armor itself? The suit is almost as much of a weapon as the gun.

My take was that Bobbie locked the guns down so her squaddies wouldn’t do something dumb like shoot Holden.

She knew they were trigger‐happy idiots.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's probably a security thing, He was in her armour.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
So, a tech guy might order the suit to walk around, or wear it to test it, but shooting non-simulated rounds is worth putting behind a password lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In the book I don't think they specified what the speed limit was, so it was plausibly low enough for not everyone to die. On the show it was pretty high.

I do remember that the deceleration was very fast but was not instantaneous, so the crash couches would have time to rotate.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baloogan posted:

So, a tech guy might order the suit to walk around, or wear it to test it, but shooting non-simulated rounds is worth putting behind a password lol

I would imagine so it can be used as emergency EVA or some such. Seems like something the navy would do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://giant.gfycat.com/AnguishedWaterloggedCurassow.mp4

e: Without the surprise and the sound effect, it becomes painfully obvious that Anna’s hand never connects.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/AnguishedWaterloggedCurassow.mp4

e: Without the surprise and the sound effect, it becomes painfully obvious that Anna’s hand never connects.

Immersion ruined.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched that Cas Anvar behind the scene thing. Why are drivers a thing? Are actors not allowed to drive themselves to the set? That poor dude Frank seemed to be just hanging out and driving people around for like 14 hours straight.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mu Zeta posted:

I watched that Cas Anvar behind the scene thing. Why are drivers a thing? Are actors not allowed to drive themselves to the set? That poor dude Frank seemed to be just hanging out and driving people around for like 14 hours straight.

When he was saying the driver could get him to set in 3 min I was thinking "why don't you loving walk, a 3min city drive is like a 10min walk you lazy rear end" but it seems they're being constantly shuffled around from set to set at short notice and hurry up and wait. The cost of the driver is worth being able to make sure everyone is where they need to be, time is money, and an actor getting into a crash because it's 4am and he's been shooting all day and he's all hopped up on fruit slices is no good.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

that's frank's job, don't you want frank to have a job?

also insurance probably

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I did set driving for 3 days with a bunch of Chinese-Indonesian actors working on a movie here.

Hideous nightmare.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rocksicles posted:

I did set driving for 3 days with a bunch of Chinese-Indonesian actors working on a movie here.

Hideous nightmare.

Stories

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

It was like having a gaggle of geese in the car.

They just ignored me, i might as well have been invisible. I was encouraged not to try and converse with them to be fair.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
That mars marine girl has great physical acting, hunching up whenever she's shooting, lurching forward with bug eyes when she recognizes who they're shooting at.

I still don't like the religious cleric lady but am in love with lady mech captain.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The religious cleric lady's +5 to wisdom is the whole reason why Melba stopped being selfish for once and saved the ship.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

*sighs*

"Clear"

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

NTRabbit posted:

Anna and Melba were on the Thomas Prince at the end, pretty sure they're going home and to prison respectively

After rewatching, there's an outside view of the roci, followed by Anna walking in to see Melba in a med bay. Lots of MCRN logos in the background too so they're either on the roci or a Martian ship.

Edit: In fact, I'd say they're 90% on the roci due to the way the whole scene is cut leading into amos and nagata fixing poo poo. I just can't see anything that says Tachi

Static! fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 30, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So do we get some exploration now? Like an R-rated SG team ?

Because i'm all in for that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

belter haircuts are awesome and not dumb at all

I feel like the folks complaining about belter haircuts haven’t been to many social events in the past 5 years. Asymmetrical haircuts are everywhere now, for men and women, and they’re cool as hell.

The future is now, inyalowda.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

So is Bobbi discharged, honorably perhaps to cover up yet again, or is she bugging out with the Roci. Perhaps the Dusters think Diogo was her in a crushed mech suit.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Dude, and it was limited commercials! AVClub went off their rocker with that one...

They gave it a B. It’s an arbitrary metric. Would you have preferred an 8.8/10?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Grand Fromage posted:

In the book I don't think they specified what the speed limit was, so it was plausibly low enough for not everyone to die. On the show it was pretty high.

I do remember that the deceleration was very fast but was not instantaneous, so the crash couches would have time to rotate.

If I recall correctly, the speed change in the book was from 600 m/s to like 40 m/s.

Crash couches in the book are more like what we see in the Razorback than anything else we see in the show. The ships aren't accelerating when the speed limit changes, so each person's couch might be pointing in any direction, not necessarily in the direction the ship is traveling. Also, people in crash couches tend to be strapped in, so an unfortunate couch orientation wouldn't sent most people flying anyway. If I recall correctly, Book-Anna picks up some injuries from being slamed against her couch's restraints when the speed limit changes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toast Museum posted:

The ships aren't accelerating when the speed limit changes, so each person's couch might be pointing in any direction, not necessarily in the direction the ship is traveling.

On a military vessels, at least, motorised crash couches would be worth having over free‐spinning models. Keeping every couch on the ship to a consistent orientation is also probably a good idea.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I finished the TV show and I have some questions

I thought the Martian marine's name was Gunny but it's Bobbi? Where does Gunny come from? (For the record one of my friend's name is Gunbritt but she goes by Gunny so the name felt normal to me).

What exactly is Miller again? One of the episodes he mentioned things about being killed when he "exceeds his boundary conditions" so he's a simulation? Why doesn't he show up to anyone else? I'm imagining how much easier that last episode would have been if he was visible to, you know, everybody.

The man that took over the Behemoth after the woman was injured, Is Ashford a bad guy or is he a good guy? I thought he was a bad guy but then he offered to save people, and when he was told that they ran out of blood I thought he was gonna announce that only vital personnel would be saved now, but instead of forced everyone to donate blood. He seems to have his priorities in the right place and maybe that ambiguity was the whole point of his character. Where does his character go from here?

I'm glad Diago died cause he was kinda annoying. At the same time though I guess being stranded in the middle of nowhere in space where there's literally nothing around you for ages kinda fucks you up though. Do the tattoos that most of the belters wore on their necks/faces mean anything significant or is it just part of their culture?

e: I'm not really sure I understood the deal with Julie Mao's sister. She was outcast from her family because her father thought she was wasting her time with the beauty pageant stuff, and then somehow she learned how to be a super soldier?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 30, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought the Martian marine's name was Gunny but it's Bobbi? Where does Gunny come from? (For the record one of my friend's name is Gunbritt but she goes by Gunny so the name felt normal to me).

What exactly is Miller again? One of the episodes he mentioned things about being killed when he "exceeds his boundary conditions" so he's a simulation? Why doesn't he show up to anyone else? I'm imagining how much easier that last episode would have been if he was visible to, you know, everybody.

The man that took over the Behemoth after the woman was injured, is he a bad guy or is he a good guy? I thought he was a bad guy but then he offered to save people, and when he was told that they ran out of blood I thought he was gonna announce that only vital personnel would be saved now, but instead of forced everyone to donate blood. He seems to have his priorities in the right place and maybe that ambiguity was the whole point of his character. Where does his character go from here?

I'm glad Diago died cause he was kinda annoying. At the same time though I guess being stranded in the middle of nowhere in space where there's literally nothing around you for ages kinda fucks you up though. Do the tattoos that most of the belters wore on their necks/faces mean anything significant or is it just part of their culture?

I think it's because she's their Gunnery Sargent?

Miller is a simulation created by the PM to do stuff that it couldn't otherwise do. A tool, as it describes itself, but possibly a free thinking one - it's unclear how much control it's under from the PM. It's actually multiple copies of Miller, each time it fails to succeed the PM creates a new version without the limitation that caused it to fail. No idea why he doesn't show up to anyone else though, or why Holden in particular.

There aren't really strict bad guys and good guys - Ashfords motivations were to sacrifice himself to save the human race, and his only sin was not believing an apparently insane man.

I've not read the books, so as far as what happens to his story from here on... I don't know, but I hope it's some place cool!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The man that took over the Behemoth after the woman was injured, Is Ashford a bad guy or is he a good guy? I thought he was a bad guy but then he offered to save people, and when he was told that they ran out of blood I thought he was gonna announce that only vital personnel would be saved now, but instead of forced everyone to donate blood. He seems to have his priorities in the right place and maybe that ambiguity was the whole point of his character. Where does his character go from here?

Gunny is short for her rank, gunnery Sargent. Her full name is Roberta "Bobbie" Draper.

Miller is a piece of the protomolocule that is searching for what happened to the race that created it. It isn't a projection like a hologram, it just knows how to poke Holden's brain in the right way to make him think he is seeing and hearing something. He only appears when Holden is alone because it can only handle one brain at a time.

Ashford is complicated. The good thing about the expanse is nobody is really bad or good. Everyone acts how they believe is right.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Chalks posted:

I think it's because she's their Gunnery Sargent?

Gangringo posted:

Gunny is short for her rank, gunnery Sargent. Her full name is Roberta "Bobbie" Draper.

Well that makes sense I guess. My knowledge of military ranks is basically zero. I know generals are top dogs and privates are bottom dogs but that's about it. Not even sure what a sargent is to be honest tho I don't really care enough to find out either.

Chalks posted:

There aren't really strict bad guys and good guys - Ashfords motivations were to sacrifice himself to save the human race, and his only sin was not believing an apparently insane man.

Gangringo posted:

Ashford is complicated. The good thing about the expanse is nobody is really bad or good. Everyone acts how they believe is right.

I guess when I first watched this series and first saw Ashford I thought they were trying to set him up to be the big bad cause that's what I'd expect every other show to do. Glad they didn't go that way though, it was a nice thing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Chalks posted:

In the same way that the Expanse makes an effort to ensure the motivations of all characters, including the bad guys, are relatable and believable, it seems like they could pretty easily make the motivations of what ever race wiped out the creators of the ring system equally understandable. After all, the ring creators threw goop into our system which indiscriminately wiped out millions of people and almost ended our entire civilization to build a road, and the defence system was more than happy to erase our entire star to protect itself. Imagine what would happen if they did that to a genuinely advanced civilisation capable of defending itself?

You don't have to blow up many stars in "self defence" to give an alien race justifiable motivation to eradicate your species.

I'm fond of the 'gardener' trope. If their civilization was choking out all other developing life, some passerby could've been like oh drat and pulled up the weeds. In a billion years, they might be back through. It would suck to get caught by all the weeds. It would be cool if there were compatible civilizations to buddy up with. The advantageous move is to prune the weeds.

Monglo posted:

Was I way off with this speculation?

Nah, I just loaded the episode and the scene was:

Miller: That's what I'd like to know.

Miller: Gonna need a ride

*Ghost thinger zooms into Holden's head*

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Except Miller had already been riding around with Holden.

Like, traveling through space with him and flat out saying 'I'm poking your brain in just the right ways'.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
And also the thing specifically doesn't reach Holden's head.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do the tattoos that most of the belters wore on their necks/faces mean anything significant or is it just part of their culture?

e: I'm not really sure I understood the deal with Julie Mao's sister. She was outcast from her family because her father thought she was wasting her time with the beauty pageant stuff, and then somehow she learned how to be a super soldier?

The older belters, like Ashford, has burns and scars from using lovely vac suits in the past. The tattoos, especially the lines around their necks, are the younger belters paying homage/being as cool as the old school crew.

And Melba isn't a super soldier. She's got space steroids implanted that she can activate when she needs to hulk out. The armband she had was blocking the implant rendering her harmless.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How long was the two parter anyway? My DVR hosed me again and I only got 21 minutes of ep 12. All of 13 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Two full-length episodes.

42 minutes each, minus commercials.